How do I read AR9?

posted
Total Posts
show more
GhostFrog

Blueprint wrote:

Focus on the Approach circle
Don't do this.

Practicing snapping on AR8 jump maps might help you learn to read jump patterns on AR9 maps. Maybe try this. And of course someone has to link Aqo's practice map that will make you hate osu!. Faster versions here and here. Default diff. You're supposed to play at a speed until you get below 50 misses, then move up to the next one. Use halftime if you get over 100 misses on the 180bpm version.
Blueprint

GhostFrog wrote:

Blueprint wrote:

Don't do this.

Worked for me :(
B1rd

Apink Chorong wrote:

B1rd wrote:

this.

If you want to practice consecutive circles try this or this.
did you mean to link the same thing twice
fixed.
Vuelo Eluko

GhostFrog wrote:

Blueprint wrote:

Don't do this.

Practicing snapping on AR8 jump maps might help you learn to read jump patterns on AR9 maps. Maybe try this. And of course someone has to link Aqo's practice map that will make you hate osu!. Faster versions here and here. Default diff. You're supposed to play at a speed until you get below 50 misses, then move up to the next one. Use halftime if you get over 100 misses on the 180bpm version.
i thought the map was very fun and was wondering why it wasnt ranked thats just me though

the fullscreen cs5 ar10 whatever bullshit is absolutely unplayable though, i remember watching sayo chain miss after miss on that crap.
cheezstik

Riince wrote:

i thought the map was very fun and was wondering why it wasnt ranked thats just me though

the fullscreen cs5 ar10 whatever bullshit is absolutely unplayable though, i remember watching sayo chain miss after miss on that crap.
It's unrankable atm. Multiple sound files across different difficulties, no hp drain, and it's basically the same thing for the whole duration. Same reason most maps made for training aren't ranked.
[-Cloud-]

cheezstik wrote:

I guarantee it's nearly impossible that you are having trouble reading ar9 at that rank. Can't watch the replays right now, but you mention the map diamond, and complain about jump patterns etc.

I speculate that you are actually having trouble snapping to circles, you should practice some jump training or some DT hards with jumps in them. A good map for practice is wahrheit.
What has rank to do with the ability to read maps properly? I'm 2k and I still can't read anything.
Also, snapping doesn't have always something to do with reading. If you can't read pattern properly, you can't aim properly aswell, since you don't know where to go next.
My Angel Gordon
Keep challenging yourself and you'll eventually come to be able to read it. Once you're able to read, aiming becomes easier. While I almost always play with a tablet, I still retain maybe 75% of my aiming ability with a mouse.

It's true, aiming isn't all about muscle memory. It's a combination of muscle memory and reading.

Realistically, the best way to improve reading is by playing a large variety of hard to read maps (skystar, hanzer, etc.), though your reading will improve by just playing.

The feeling of being "overwhelmed" by objects is normal and should be expected if you haven't "mastered" an approach rate. I'm slowly learning AR10.3 and I feel the same for practically all maps >230 bpm. Play through it, slowly increasing your reading speed and overall speed.
winber1
bake cookies

understanding the importance of recipes and cutting perfectly shaped cookies increases your ability to think fast and adapt to special circumstances as well as increase finger dexterity, both of which will help you read AR 9
I Give Up
Rank 100k: "I can read big black"

Rank 3k: "I can't read anything"
cheezstik

[-Cloud-] wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

I guarantee it's nearly impossible that you are having trouble reading ar9 at that rank. Can't watch the replays right now, but you mention the map diamond, and complain about jump patterns etc.

I speculate that you are actually having trouble snapping to circles, you should practice some jump training or some DT hards with jumps in them. A good map for practice is wahrheit.
What has rank to do with the ability to read maps properly? I'm 2k and I still can't read anything.
Also, snapping doesn't have always something to do with reading. If you can't read pattern properly, you can't aim properly aswell, since you don't know where to go next.
I'm sure if we scrolled down most people at rank 20k's top list, we would find that the majority of their maps are ar9, as most maps that give you the pp to get to rank 20k from around 50-60k will be ar9. There is no way he or anyone got to 20k playing maps they can't read.

Also I didn't say snapping was necessarily related to reading, I said that snapping was the problem he had, not reading.

Also, I'm sure you can read something if you got to that rank :P.
RaneFire

cheezstik wrote:

The difference in mentalities is simply knowing more about what you can and can't read.

For some extremists, "being unable to read every conceivable pattern perfectly at a certain AR" means they can't read it, even if such patterns are genuinely some of the most difficult.

People at rank #20k perform well on technically simpler maps, even though set at the same AR as more difficult ones. Reading a certain AR is not an indication of your ability to read patterns. That comes second, and while affected by AR, doesn't determine your reading ability alone. For example, rank #20k players don't have the fundamentals or capacity to read complex patterns yet... at any AR. They can read AR9, but they can't read the difficult stuff at AR9. Just like how better players can read difficult stuff, but not all of it. You can apply this to any AR within reason. Both groups can read the AR itself, but not every object configuration in combination with BPM at that AR, or possibly at any other AR too. There are so many different capacities for reading, which come together to form your reading skill. It's highly misleading to refer to reading skill in AR terms only, even if it is part of it.
Zare

KukiMonster wrote:

thread winning post
[ Kubolo ]

Zare wrote:

KukiMonster wrote:

thread winning post
True :v
Topic Starter
xxdeathx

KukiMonster wrote:

i don't know any 100k that claims they can read big black; i don't think anybody over 10k can pass it
GoldenWolf

xxdeathx wrote:

i don't know any 100k that claims they can read big black; i don't think anybody over 10k can pass it
lol
Go lurk around here for some more, you might be surprised.
Tari
Focus on the notes one by one.
cheezstik

RaneFire wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

The difference in mentalities is simply knowing more about what you can and can't read.

For some extremists, "being unable to read every conceivable pattern perfectly at a certain AR" means they can't read it, even if such patterns are genuinely some of the most difficult.

People at rank #20k perform well on technically simpler maps, even though set at the same AR as more difficult ones. Reading a certain AR is not an indication of your ability to read patterns. That comes second, and while affected by AR, doesn't determine your reading ability alone. For example, rank #20k players don't have the fundamentals or capacity to read complex patterns yet... at any AR. They can read AR9, but they can't read the difficult stuff at AR9. Just like how better players can read difficult stuff, but not all of it. You can apply this to any AR within reason. Both groups can read the AR itself, but not every object configuration in combination with BPM at that AR, or possibly at any other AR too. There are so many different capacities for reading, which come together to form your reading skill. It's highly misleading to refer to reading skill in AR terms only, even if it is part of it.
Yes, I'm aware of this effect. Maps like scarlet rose being pretty hard to read, despite being ar9 (ar10 honestly makes that map easier though). I was just poking fun at how he said he cant read anything :D.

But yeah, OP should've asked how to read, not how to read ar9. But with the maps he mentioned which aren't hard to read at all, I still think snapping is actually his problem, not reading.
Litenang

xxdeathx wrote:

I know quite a few people who don't ever bother going for FCs or otherwise grinding pp. 2 of them are even rank 50k and are way better than me.

Also, I'm just going to say, this post is more of a hand-eye-coordination skill problem than a reading problem.

Just because I can read jump pudding, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/42567, etc. doesn't mean I can pass them.
buny
43.6% nofail on big black counts as being able to read it nowadays

so does 70% on airman
B1rd

cheezstik wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of this effect. Maps like scarlet rose being pretty hard to read, despite being ar9 (ar10 honestly makes that map easier though). I was just poking fun at how he said he cant read anything :D.

But yeah, OP should've asked how to read, not how to read ar9. But with the maps he mentioned which aren't hard to read at all, I still think snapping is actually his problem, not reading.

What do you mean 'snapping' is his problem? snapping to notes is snapping your cursor to them before you need to. Maybe you mean aim.

I think a good way to measure if you can read a certain AR if you can play at similar circle densities and level of patterns as others ARs.
cheezstik

B1rd wrote:

What do you mean 'snapping' is his problem? snapping to notes is snapping your cursor to them before you need to. Maybe you mean aim.

I think a good way to measure if you can read a certain AR if you can play at similar circle densities and level of patterns as others ARs.
Yes, I know what snapping is, he describes having trouble with patterns, and the map diamond, which can be very hard if you don't snap.

Edit: Nvm, just watched the replay for the first time, yeah it's reading all right.
yourboimattjew

GoldenWolf wrote:

it's not that you can't read ar9

it's just that you can't read at all

or it might be that some people's minds move faster than the circles come and tend to get confused by having too much on the screen and might just move on to the next note before they even hit the previous, idk its just how it goes for me, might not be the same for everyone else
B1rd
I said I fixed it but I didn't fix it. It's too late now; what has been done in the past cannot be undone.
DXPOHIHIHI
Who in the world finds reading ar 9 difficult?

You should just quit osu cause ar 9 is already slow
Justified

szkiller wrote:

Who in the world finds reading ar 9 difficult?

You should just quit osu cause ar 9 is already slow

You should also quit for always making these stupid posts.
kittyflandre
Can We Appreciate that the forum starter is now a mapper?
Zelzatter Zero
Not just the OP, but other people was there as well.

Also don't necropost.