forum

Any cheap keyboards with light pressing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RedShadoww
My old laptop crapped out on me a couple months ago and I preferred the keyboard on it because the presses we really light. I think they were "scissor switch" keys? I heard about mechanical keyboards but they're way too expensive as I'm only willing to spend up to 60$ on a keyboard. Anyone have any recommendations for me that fits my budget, has a numpad, and ships to canada?
Vuelo Eluko
you can get a mechanical switch numpad if you just want it for osu and it wont cost you nearly as much as a keyboard.
tryaway
Cm storm devastator or sumthing
Good keyboard that i use but I prefer red switched one
But with your budget , I don't think u can get that
Noobsicle
Litenang
I got my current mechanical keyboard for $45 USD. Rosewill is a Newegg brand and their keyboards are reliable and durable for not too much. Keep an eye open for sales if you're looking mechanical, but what noobsicle linked is good if you like the scissor switches. Personally, I'd keep with what you know.

I'm not a fan of the Cherry MX Reds or Blacks like everyone else. I use the browns and hover-pressing gets me really high mashing speeds (when I'm playing other video games that don't require timing like Osu!).
chainpullz
Scissor switches are really nice until you really start pushing speed limits where the hit to stamina really starts to show. I can probably go just as fast on my scissor switches if I work at it as on my reds I just get worn out significantly faster doing so. It's one of those things you can probably overcome with a lot of training and be able to play difficult maps. The biggest thing is that scissor switches have like 1/3 the lifetime of mechanical switches which just means you'll probably have to replace you keyboard after like 2-4 years if you don't switch keybinds every 8mil presses or something. Scissor switches seem fairly under appreciated on the forums.
B1rd
why not spend a bit more to get a useful mech keyboard rather than pay $60 on something that's barely going to be better than what you have now?
Gumpy

B1rd wrote:

why not spend a bit more to get a useful mech keyboard rather than pay $60 on something that's barely going to be better than what you have now?
Basiclly this is always the answer.
AmaiHachimitsu
Cheap for me is like less than 5 bucks (actually it's pretty much already), so from old keyboards you can try Samsung's SDK series. I've used one and so was WWW 2 years ago. Given that you can find it. (SDK1900 I think)
nooblet
60$ is quite a lot, you can pretty much get a mech for that can't you? Idk price range ...

I used muh laptop keyboard for a year or so, felt great. There wasn't a huge difference when I switched to mech, except my burst bpm went up and stamina dropped to hell.

(For a second I thought you were Zare, was like wtf?)
chainpullz

nooblet wrote:

60$ is quite a lot, you can pretty much get a mech for that can't you? Idk price range ...

I used muh laptop keyboard for a year or so, felt great. There wasn't a huge difference when I switched to mech, except my burst bpm went up and stamina dropped to hell.

(For a second I thought you were Zare, was like wtf?)
Your stamina got worse from using a mech? Wut? I guess if you haven't gotten used to it. Then again I use reds... But yeah, stamina and durability are the only 2 things I can really advocate a mech for unless we want to get into the finer details. But the finer details don't matter as much unless you are already like rank 2k at least.
[Bystander]
Good mechanical keyboards seem to start at around $80 US. I was having trouble finding anything <60.
B1rd
I think the reason that scissor switches are inferior is that they don't have any depth, so when you stream your fingers are basically being stopped when they hit the keyboard base every stroke which probably slows down streaming. Same with mouse buttons, probably the reason that there aren't many people who can stream fast with mouse.
With mech keyboards however, you don't have to bottom them out so your finger movement isn't being stopped every finger stroke, which in theory lets you stream faster with a fluid uninterrupted continuous motion movement.

[Bystander] wrote:

Good mechanical keyboards seem to start at around $80 US. I was having trouble finding anything <60.
Well I'm quoting someone else- save up your lunch money for a week, and there you go.
chainpullz
The lack of depth on scissor switches is actually good for streaming because you are essentially using the same movement as floating a mechanical keyboard. The downside comes when we start talking bursting and fast single tapping since these are cases you are normally tapping with your arm or wrist so a lot of times you actually will bottom out on a mechanical keyboard whereas on scissor switches you experience more of a jarring stop. If you use scissor switches enough you start to get used to this but I haven't gotten to a point where I don't incur a noticeable hit to my stamina as a result. Since I don't use my laptop keyboard exclusively I can't say for certain that this is something you will overcome with enough training or not. I don't think you should expect to achieve Jesus level streaming on a scissor switch since if I understand correctly his method relies heavily on the reset force of blacks but for most maps (across any difficulty level) you should be able to play just fine with scissor switches. Just don't plan to play exclusively 200+ bpm deathstream maps where stamina is a defining factor and you should be fine.