forum

Where do you actually look?

posted
Total Posts
show more
I Give Up
...lol

On slower maps I look at A. On faster maps I look at B, C, sometimes between E and F, or back upon my life and wonder what went wrong.
Nutella
Sometimes (A), sometimes I just look at the middle of the screen for the whole beatmap duration.
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
In my eyes:
Looking at note A and doing well means that the map is quite easy for you because you don't need to sight read a lot.
Looking at note B means that the map is either quite fast or out of your comfort zone so you need to have a slight overhead to read before hitting.
Looking at note C means that the map is over 200-220BPM is a 5.5+ star maps or it is VERY VERY hard for you to play.

I have found that looking at note C helps me hit things I am not able to hit while doing A/B. It's kind of like playing hidden for me. Although looking at note A is the most simple way of playing accurately since you actually are looking at what you are supposed to hit.
Vuelo Eluko
its not about needing an overhead read, but just because there's no reason to look at a note until you hit it if you already know where it is and when to hit it, you're doing yourself a favor by going ahead of it once you've determined that because you'll be less likely to stumble, it's like reading ahead of where you're speaking when reading aloud so you don't stutter, it just makes sense.

edit: wow this post of mine is pretty good. why cant all of them be this way?
winber1

Soarezi wrote:

winber1 wrote:

at my dick
What dick?
my prosthetic one
Vuelo Eluko
i wear a strapon over my real dick which is kept safe and sound in a chastity belt
thats how i make all the ladies love it
Synpoo
i stare in the middle of my screen during the entire map since i only play hidden
Norb

Riince wrote:

i wear a strapon over my real dick which is kept safe and sound in a chastity belt
pls u aint got no ladies
Norb
skraidantis kebabas o:
Vuelo Eluko

Dubu wrote:

Riince wrote:

pls u aint got no ladies
you try having a 2 cm long dick and balls like peanuts it makes things hard
nrl
retrorekt

OT: Ideally at B, but it's more often halfway between B and the geometric center of all three.
Top Bunk
Last I checked, my notes use numbers and not the letters A B and C.

Riince wrote:

you try having a 2 cm long dick and balls like peanuts it makes things hard
Or maybe not hard enough.
Blanky
I look at both A and B.
Holorin

Narrill wrote:

Ideally at B, but it's more often halfway between B and the geometric center of all three.
Where is the quote with "rekt" as a reply then answer on topic? Narrill, I'm dissapointed son :P
Anyway I'm a noobie so A
syuru
B, but I look at A when there are rotating squares or jumps I tend to miss.
nrl

Oppai Neko wrote:

Where is the quote with "rekt" as a reply then answer on topic? Narrill, I'm dissapointed son :P
I didn't actually read the last post before I posted :/
Gumpy
IDK sometimes I hit things I was not even looking at.
Rewben2
At the kawaii animu grillz in the background
based god lil b

Rewben2 wrote:

100% this
Varetyr
A
and this is ridiculously exhausting
Noobsicle

Rewben2 wrote:

most effective method
Blanky

Rewben2 wrote:

I'm not gonna lie, I actually do this when I have my background dim off...(which is why I keep dim on).

I just play relying entirely on my peripheral vision when looking at the anime 'grillz'.
Nameless
On slow maps I look at B.
On fast maps my eyes follow the cursor all the way from A to C
Yakuyan
Going for full combos/ concentrating hard - A
Regular Gameplay - A mix of A and B

I sometimes play in a way like C when I'm worn out, I don't even know why :oops:
piruchan
I take a quick look where to hit next then focus on my cursor.
Maxis
Interesting reading this thread. I actually do C most of the time, on nearly every map I play. On very fast maps or maps with complicated patterns--maps that are hard to sightread basically--are when I switch to B to avoid feeling overwhelmed from having to keep track of too many notes at a time. I never do A.

Just how I learned to play from the start of the game, and haven't bothered to change it since it seems to be working out for me.
otoed1
Personally, because i'm one of the scrubs that only can play ar 9 and 10 (barely) i just kinda jump to watever color just came up. It's the main reason jumps are so easy for me (cross screen jumps are a joke 4 me) but streams and some complex patterns are hard. Basically, I dont read anything I just see flashy lights and mash the z/x keys until I get stuff right. Im learning to play lower ARs now but Istill stick to my tendancy to only look at what I'm clicking, and it rarely screws me over. Provided im just taking ar 9 maps and modding them down to 8.2 so its not that different but w/e. (i got to 8.2 bcz im bad)
Yuudachi-kun
I don't really know because if I think about where I'm looking I start to miss notes and then fail.
sasakura
I follow the cursor and I know where to go as a sightread at the same time, though sometimes I randomly look at the center and hit all the notes..
Pelafina
I just stare blankly into the middle of the screen or my cursor since that was what i did when i used to play Mania.
Insyni
I try to watch A > B as much as I can but often my eyes wander to B or C only.

Side note: I think this is the most helpful thread I've ever seen on the forums.
Sya
B and C.
Depends on the map, mostly B though
B1rd
my eyes always precede my cursor by a certain amount.
YamiHikari
A, when I'm not so confident and sometimes B.
nooblet
Middle of the screen window to practice peripheral reading. I don't look directly at circles, I only glance in the general area and read maps in patterns/combos instead of individual circles. Probably why I can't AR 10, but whatev.

Usually I'm not looking at the notes I'm hitting while I hit them, and if you play HD then it's pretty much impossible anyways since the circle is gone when you hit it. I'm horrible at HD though, so I won't say if what's right for playing HD and what's not XD.
Topic Starter
FlyingKebab
It seems that the answers are a mixed bag. Although it seems that more people lean to A and B rather than C.
Vuelo Eluko
because when you get accurate enough, maps you can barely read/keep up with are B's rather than C's. If I get a C it means i can't read it at all really and im wasting my time. if i get a D it's just ridiculously out of my league.

that said, trying to turn your B's into A's is a great practice.
Varetyr
^You should read the OP, I think you're getting it wrong
Vuelo Eluko

Varetyr wrote:

^You should read the OP, I think you're getting it wrong
yeah im really tired so that happens