forum

Is it worth to get a mechanical keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Bauxe

cheezstik wrote:

It will probably definitely give you a big advantage but it's by no means required. I'm using a regular keryboard and I would consider my self good at streams, and more of a rhythm / speed player than an aim player. I've never used a mechanical keyboard so I can't really compare.
Don't take this as rude. But it really won't make a difference until you get to a certain threshold. Like 200+.
Espionage724

DahplA wrote:

There probably already topics out there for this question. I've been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard for a while now, because it seems it's like what everyone uses.
  1. Is there a benefit to getting a mechanical keyboard?
  2. What does it provide over a normal keyboard?
  3. Will I see an immediate improvement, or will I have to get used to it?
Mechanical switches tend to be more durable.

You will have to get used to it. Speaking from my own experience, my accuracy was a mess initially when I went from rubber dome to Blue, because of the way the key registers, and how I was expecting it to register.

Basically, with rubber dome, when the key hits the bottom-out point, it registers, and it's easy to recognize this. With Blue switches however, it registers about half-way through the key press, before the point of bottoming-out.

It doesn't take too long to get used to a certain switch type though, but the time to get used to a switch depends on the switch you're going to, and what you're used to.

Edit: Apparently Black and Red require you to bottom-out to register presses, which may be pretty similar to rubber dome.

The question is, what kind of switch will you get? Ideally, I would recommend getting a mechanical keyboard for the intention of using it generally, and not getting one specifically for osu!. This may or may not be the most accurate information, but:

- I hear Red switches are recommended for gaming, but are terrible to type with over extended periods of time.
- Blacks are also recommended for gaming.
- Blues are great for typing, but I don't see too many people recommending them for gaming. They're also regarded as loud.
- Greens are great if you want something similar to the buckling spring switch (basically harder to press down); great for typing.
- Browns are a lighter (quieter)-version of Blue, and I hear it commonly recommended for a good balance between typing, gaming, and silence.
- Buckling springs are great, but this is an "ancient" switch, and you'll likely only see it mentioned with the IBM Model M; which is outstanding for typing.

As for what factors to look into when choosing a switch type for a specific task, it's whether the switch is linear or not, and how much actuation force it takes to press the key down.

I'd personally recommend Brown switches. Blues aren't bad either. And if for some reason you want to go old-school and have a tank of a keyboard that can survive anything (and also have fun possibly fixing it up and learning more about keyboards along the way), could go for an IBM Model M 8-) or if you want something newer you can actually pick up in retail, something with Green switches.

Although now that I think about it, I think Blacks and Red switches are linear switches, which ideally means the switch registers on and off around the same point (which sounds and probably is great for accuracy with osu!). Blues I know aren't linear. No idea on Browns or other switches. The switch being linear or not won't matter after a time where you get used to the switch anyway though.

Also, here's a page full of useful keyboard terms you may want to look into: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/terms.php

Whichever keyboard and switch you do decide to choose though, just make sure to choose it after thorough research. I jumped right into mech keyboard and got Blue without looking at anything else, and kind of regretted it at first (not saying Blue is bad of course; just saying I wish I would have known about other switch types at the time).

Someone please feel free to correct any of that information if it's wrong.
byfar
yes, when u climb higher ranks you will quickly realize how important a good keyboard is. not jamming a key can mean the difference between fc and not fc.

also i think blues are extremely good for osu, if you have good stamina. the tactile feedback provides rhythm for me at least
Varetyr

Bauxe wrote:

Don't take this as rude. But it really won't make a difference until you get to a certain threshold. Like 200+.
Pretty much my thoughts

Espionage724

Varetyr wrote:

Do blacks really need that much actuation force? Thought for sure Greens were the highest.
sangu

Espionage724 wrote:

Although now that I think about it, I think Blacks and Red switches are linear switches, which ideally means the switch registers on and off around the same point (which sounds and probably is great for accuracy with osu!). Blues I know aren't linear. No idea on Browns or other switches. The switch being linear or not won't matter after a time where you get used to the switch anyway though.
When the switch is noted as being "linear" it is in regards to the feedback, not the actuation point. The reds and blacks are linear tactile feedback, meaning no feedback at all, the key feels the same from initial press to bottoming out. Blues have a mechanism inside which gives a much stronger tactile feel. (and a very loud "click" Browns are kind of "all-round," which means that they do not have an internal mechanism unlike the blues, but have a slight "bump" to provide some tactile feedback.

This website has some great animations for the internals of all cherry switches, in case my explanation is confusing: http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/
Varetyr
It's a bit exaggerated, greens are still the highest, it's just ~higher than the rest afaik
Bauxe

Varetyr wrote:

It's a bit exaggerated, greens are still the highest, it's just ~higher than the rest afaik
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Super_Black
8-)
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

It will probably definitely give you a big advantage but it's by no means required. I'm using a regular keryboard and I would consider my self good at streams, and more of a rhythm / speed player than an aim player. I've never used a mechanical keyboard so I can't really compare.
Well I obviously can't comment on the difference since I haven't touched a mechanical keyboard, but I don't have too much trouble reaching freedom dive another and rog-unlimitation speed.
Varetyr

Bauxe wrote:

Varetyr wrote:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Super_Black
8-)
wth is that
Is there anyone who actually needs that lmao
Topic Starter
DahplA
Thanks for the help everyone. Would there be a specific keyboard that would be recommended? I'd like it to be close to the $100-$150 price range.
[Bystander]
Ducky Shine 3
Kul ES-87 Red or Brown for TKL
Steelseries 6gv2 (not full nkro)
Corsair K65 or K70
Bauxe

cheezstik wrote:

Well I obviously can't comment on the difference since I haven't touched a mechanical keyboard, but I don't have too much trouble reaching freedom dive another and rog-unlimitation speed.
I can spam on rubberdomes too.
Noobsicle

DahplA wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone. Would there be a specific keyboard that would be recommended? I'd like it to be close to the $100-$150 price range.
anything but razer
ducky is quality
quack
winber1
quality is 420 blazing it then going out to eat ice cream at 2AM when you have a 15 page paper due in 8 hours that you haven't started yet.
Noobsicle
truuueee
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

I can spam on rubberdomes too.
Don't remember mentioning spamming or mashing, but I'll clear it up anyway; I can accurately stream 220bpm.

The self-glorification aside, my original on-topic point is that if someone at my level of play can do 220bpm (something higher than my level of play) on a regular keyboard, then it is safe to say that for someone at my level or lower (such as OP), a mechanical keyboard is not needed or 100% worth it, because as bauxe said, it won't make much difference.

Now on the other hand if you are bauxe-level good, go ahead and grab a mechanical keyboard, it's most likely worth it.
chainpullz
If you want to pick up chicks (except who am I kidding) go with a ducky shine. Otherwise idk.
Bauxe

cheezstik wrote:

Don't remember mentioning spamming or mashing, but I'll clear it up anyway; I can accurately stream 220bpm.

The self-glorification aside, my original on-topic point is that if someone at my level of play can do 220bpm (something higher than my level of play) on a regular keyboard, then it is safe to say that for someone at my level or lower (such as OP), a mechanical keyboard is not needed or 100% worth it, because as bauxe said, it won't make much difference.

Now on the other hand if you are bauxe-level good, go ahead and grab a mechanical keyboard, it's most likely worth it.
I really want to see a replay of you streaming at 220bpm (for a decent length, not 5 notes, that isn't streaming).

Also, my upper limit for streaming is like 205bpm. If you can full combo rog-unlimitation, then yeah, you can stream 220 I guess.
Mathsma

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

I really want to see a replay of you streaming at 220bpm (for a decent length, not 5 notes, that isn't streaming).

Also, my upper limit for streaming is like 205bpm. If you can full combo rog-unlimitation, then yeah, you can stream 220 I guess.
rog-unlimitation has super low od or something, its really easy to do even if you cant stream near its bpm.
Purple
Probably not, depends on how much you type. It IS worth it to get a mechanical numpad, though.

If not for gameplay then it's for health reasons. Playing with mechanical keys lowers the risk of tendon injuries.

Back 3 years ago before I got my mech keyboard I couldn't even stream 140 bpm. After I got it, I didn't get much faster but it did help me not get fatigued as easily.
Synpoo
sounds like the thing hindering my progress in this game is the lack of a mech keyboard and me using this shitty razer keyboard :^)

and uh shitty aim
[Bystander]

Purple wrote:

Back 3 years ago before I got my mech keyboard I couldn't even stream 140 bpm. After I got it, I didn't get much faster but it did help me not get fatigued as easily.
What??? I have a really bad habit of over streaming 140bpm or less songs. I find this hard to believe.

exozion wrote:

sounds like the thing hindering my progress in this game is the lack of a mech keyboard and me using this shitty razer keyboard :^)
heh GoldenWolf-sama uses a razer keyboard
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

I half fc rog unlimitation then fail near the end cos of my trash-tier stamina, same with another freedom dive. But something more in my stamina range with still decent bpm (~195) is goreshit - o'er the flood and Hatsune Miku - Mythologia's End
Purple

[Bystander] wrote:

Purple wrote:

What??? I have a really bad habit of over streaming 140bpm or less songs. I find this hard to believe.
God deemed it wasteful to give me faster than sluggish fingers when I was conceived, thinking it would not help me against life's struggles

He was wrong
Amianki
Mechanical keyboard accelerated my skill improvement.
ikzune
in regards to the osumania aspect of mechanical verses rubber dome
first issue with rubber dome or laptop keyboards in general is you have at least 10kro keeping the current planned keymodes in mind, this means that you can hit 10keys at once and they all will register, not all laptop keyboards have this but most mechanical keyboards nowdays should come with that expectation

second factor is durability, yes a mechanical keyboard has been said to last you a lot longer then a rubber dome keyboard, i still say that you get enough time out of a rubber dome keyboard for it to not matter, the amount i have played is at least double my playcount in osumania due to playing unsubmitted maps and i have only truely broken 1 keyboard.

third factor would be keypressure, this is where mechanical or rubber dome keyboard falls out, in terms of osumania it is better to play what you are more used to or else you will be spending ages trying to ensure that you hit on time, different keypressures mean a slight change in delay when you start to push the key to when it registers, personally i find rubber dome keyboards best however others are more used to mechanical keyboards its more so something you have to be used to.

in conclusion however a mechanical keyboard is not a value in osumania unless its the type of keyboard you are used to and hearing from some standard osu players the keyboard doesnt change your ability that much although it may feel more responsive due to the clicking sounds which could help learning... maybe idk
Bauxe

cheezstik wrote:

I half fc rog unlimitation then fail near the end cos of my trash-tier stamina, same with another freedom dive. But something more in my stamina range with still decent bpm (~195) is goreshit - o'er the flood and Hatsune Miku - Mythologia's End
Posting maps doesn't show anything, screenshots do.

And if you are getting like accuracy <95% on the streams, I'm sorry, you can't stream that speed.
Lach
I'm a firm believer that mechanical keyboards don't do shit for your skill/accuracy/speed/whatever, unless playing osu!mania, as some keyboards have issues pressing specific key combinations, and most mechanical keyboards come with ways to combat that.

That doesn't mean they aren't nice to have. A good mechanical keyboard is like a dream to type on. Has a good, consistent feeling to every keystroke. There's a reason people buy expensive buttons for fightsticks and controllers. They don't improve your play, but they have a precise feeling with different levels of pressure required for actuation. It's up to you to decide if you want to spend money.
Litenang
Personally, I think a mechanical keyboard is worth it if you use your computer every day and use it to type rather often. I won't go into discussion of the keys because everyone has their preferences. I've tried MX blues, reds, blacks, and am currently using browns. The best is to go into a store and try each one for yourself to see what you like and prefer.

As for Osu!, I don't feel as if it gives any particular advantage if you have a good rubber dome keyboard, chiclet, or mechanical keyboard, as long as you're used to it. It can make a difference for Osumania because most mechanical keyboards support n-key rollover. However, for the regular game mode, I do believe that a mechanical keyboard is more reliable in actuation force (the force required to push the key to activate it), and the speed the key returns to its default position to be pressed again. Some rubber dome keyboards are not as reliable in this aspect.

In terms of stamina, it depends again on the quality of the rubber dome keyboard. Mechanical keyboards have very standardized actuation forces, and therefore the stamina consumption is very reliable. For a rubber dome keyboard, users tend to press the key too hard to guarantee a key input. A good rubber dome keyboard is still quite steady in its actuation force, and shouldn't necessarily take more energy to press the keys.

For high bpm (220+), I would greatly suggest mechanical keyboards. The reliability you need to get good accuracy for a stream is much more important at high bpm, and while you can "float" on a mechanical keyboard, it's extremely difficult to do on a rubber dome. Floating is depressing the key just past the actuation point, and letting it rise a little above, then repeating. This is the fastest way to mash, and learning how to float well on your particular keyboard will allow you to single tap and stream at much higher bpm.

TL;DR If you play 220+ bpm streams, get a mechanical keyboard. For everything else, you probably don't need one, but I wholeheartedly recommend a mechanical keyboard if you use your computer daily.
Cozzzy
From my experience - nope. Even after a year of using them, my mech switches have made me worse at rhythm games in every way, and I really don't like the feel for general use either. That said, I haven't tried blues or browns yet. If you work and the price isn't a problem, then yeah order a sampler kit or something first.

People keep mentioning mania. Well, with rubberdomes I can just rest my fingers on the keys, and make slight movements to feel the clicks, so I have much higher speed and stamina. This is basically impossible on my black switches D:
Litenang

Cozzzy wrote:

People keep mentioning mania. Well, with rubberdomes I can just rest my fingers on the keys, and make slight movements to feel the clicks, so I have much higher speed and stamina. This is basically impossible on my black switches D:
Black switches are quite stiff, and I don't particularly like reds either. Mania requires n-key rollover, or at least 6-7 key rollover, which is a property almost every mechanical keyboard has, unlike rubberdomes.
jesse1412
A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu! Tablets are shitty in comparison. I couldn't play osu! at all on a none mech now (I've tried).

I decree as king of g&r, no further opinions are necessary.
Purple

jesus1412 wrote:

A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu!
I agree, I'm actually astounded at the amount of people who say it's worthless

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
Topic Starter
DahplA

Purple wrote:

If you can't pay 100$ for a mech keyboard then get a 30$ mech numpad, it's the same thing. I just don't see the point of spreading falsehood. If you've never played with mechanical keys then don't comment, and if you have but it didn't work out for you then don't assume it'll be the same for everyone else.
Mechanical numberpads? $30? :O That's amazing, considering you only need 2 keys there isn't a point getting a full keyboard. Thanks for that.
Edit: Are there any good stores in Australia/websites that sell mechanical numberpads or keyboards?
chainpullz

Purple wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

A mechanical keyboard is THE best investment you could ever make in osu!

While I definitely think a mechanical keyboard is the best investment you can make in osu! I also don't think the determining factor should be that it will "magically make you better as osu!" If you happen to be good enough at the game already that having better stamina on 200+ bpm streams (for clarification, talking of at least length 8) then you are still going to have to learn the new keyboard which will take a bit of time. If you aren't at this level of skill already you likely won't see any difference. Most beatmaps don't directly benefit from having a mechanical keyboard.

I'm saying this from a perspective of someone who regularly switches between cherry mx reds and scissor switches. The difference in ability to accurately single tap between my scissor switches and reds is marginal at best. The biggest difference is the amount of work it takes to actually actuate the switches at high speed which means I take a huge hit to stamina when I use scissor switches. That said, I am probably more gated by my ability to read 240+bpm ar9.6 than by my ability to hit keys fast enough.

I just think it's silly that people act as if a mechanical keyboard will magically carry them from 20k to 2k in less than a week. If you want to get better, practice more. If you want a really nice keyboard, buy a mechanical keyboard. That's really what the choice should come down to for most players.
FlyingKebab
On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
cheezstik

Bauxe wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nzhjn3swp8ajy86/
And the song: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/59972
It's pretty mashy and inaccurate, and a pretty long song, but it shows 218 bpm streams that I fc, near the end is a pretty long stream chain. Couldn't find many other replays, this is probably the best at this speed. Doesn't really prove I can stream 220 since it's so mashy but you get the idea.

FlyingKebab wrote:

On topic how fast do mechanical keyboards and their switches break under constant workload a.k.a fast tapping like with osu, since I am afraid that I will break something when I get my mechanical I am leaning torwards using numpad keys as tapping keys if they break easily.
I don't think mechanical keyboards are meant to break for a long time, unless it's a razer or something, and even then it's still meant to last ages. My rubber dome has lasted me 4 years, and 6 months of those years were through osu, and it is definitely not as sturdy as any mechanical keyboard. Decent keyboards are meant to last ages anyway, mechanical or not, it's pretty hard to break a keyboard, even while playing osu.
chainpullz

FlyingKebab wrote:

Each key is rated for like 10 million presses (maybe 15 million, cant remember which off hand).

Based on napkin map I've accumulated probably less than 3mil on a given key. I'd say if you are spamming up the play count you can probably count on a key to last 2 years but if you play more casually expect probably like 4 years. But honestly, after 4 years its probably time to replace your computer so a 2 year lifetime of constant abuse and refusal to switch keybinds for something as cheap as a keyboard isn't something you should worry about.
Noobsicle
cherry switches are rated at 50 million key presses
show more