forum

Why are there so few ranked ar10 ?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vuelo Eluko
its because people are cringing at your claims, because of how far you are ability wise to back them up. It's the same sort of reaction Woobowiz got when he first made his thread. People were annoyed with his idea that he could reach cookiezi's level before even comprehending what it takes to get there "ill do it in a year!" and talking way bigger than he was.

I think everyone expected him to realize how absurd his goals were, or perhaps just lose interest in osu/be ashamed of his posts or something and the thread would die within a week of being made, but he's really proven himself serious about his goal so far which was really surprising and he has started to amass a following of sorts because of it.

Hell, I can't even claim 5 star maps are easy without idiots people calling me out, you calling maps like airman easy prompts an even greater reaction.
FlyingKebab
Alright, I promise I will never mention a map I can't pass decently ever, deal.
Ichi
No one is hating on you, don´t wory you are not that important. Although i can say it´s kind of annoying to see you lecturing everyone on the game when you don´t even know it well yourself, you just have a bunch of knowledge about the game from what you´ve read and try to predict how things will work out. Heck you may even get bored of the game before passing one of those maps.

My suggestion is to forget about the logic you think this game has, and start working on your game because frankly, it has none. Its just circle clicking for god freaking sakes, the MORE you do it the BETTER you are.
nrl

Riince wrote:

Hell, I can't even claim 5 star maps are easy without idiots people calling me out, you calling maps like airman easy prompts an even greater reaction.
Can you even FC a 5* map though?

FlyingKebab wrote:

Alright, I promise I will never mention a map I can't pass decently ever, deal.
You joke, but that's actually a pretty good guideline.

Ichi wrote:

forget about the logic you think this game has, and start working on your game because frankly, it has none. Its just circle clicking for god freaking sakes
sigh
YukinoDesuDesu
Its just circle clicking for god freaking sakes
just?!!
tss.. osu! is love osu! is live.
Lach
To answer the question without reading any of the thread because I'm too lazy, there are few ar10 maps because it is seen as unnecessary as only tryhards play and make ar10 maps. Mods like Hard Rock exist yeah.

Can't play hr? Can't play ar10.
nrl

Lach wrote:

Wrong O.o
Vuelo Eluko

Narrill wrote:

Can you even FC a 5* map though?
yes
cheezstik

Lach wrote:

To answer the question without reading any of the thread because I'm too lazy, there are few ar10 maps because it is seen as unnecessary as only tryhards play and make ar10 maps. Mods like Hard Rock exist yeah.

Cs/od/hp?

And I think the real reason ar10 maps are rare is cos rarely does a map need ar10, only big black is fast enough to really need it, and other examples I can think of like rog unlimitation. There are obviously more but Ican't think of any off the top of my head.
silmarilen
5* is pretty hard tho. just because the majority of the people here is "good" enough to play them does not change that. in the end you still wont see many people out of top10k who can fc them.
people really get the wrong idea of the general skill of the people playing osu when 90% of the big mouths are top10k.

i lolled at how this turned into yet another discussion about something completely unrelated to the OP
nrl

cheezstik wrote:

And I think the real reason ar10 maps are rare is cos rarely does a map need ar10, only big black is fast enough to really need it, and other examples I can think of like rog unlimitation. There are obviously more but Ican't think of any off the top of my head.
Basically anything over 5* feels right at AR10 for me, especially at CS4.

Narrill wrote:

Basically anything over 5* feels right at AR10 for me, especially at CS4.
WHAT? WHAT WAS THAT? THIS IS RIGHT FOR AR10? DO YOU- DO YOU THINK THIS SHOULD HONESTLY BE AR10 (AND STILL RANKED)?
nrl
Uhm... yes? Is there something special about that map that makes AR10 a bad idea?

Narrill wrote:

Uhm... yes? Is there something special about that map that makes AR10 a bad idea?
uh

every fucking ar10 ranked map is fast as shit, for one, and compared to ranked ar10, that map is slow as shit

think of the speed it needs to really fit ar10 (and feel natural)

there's much more I could list though
cheezstik

Faces3 wrote:

Narrill wrote:

uh

every fucking ar10 ranked map is fast as shit, for one, and compared to ranked ar10, that map is slow as shit

there's much more I could list though
+1, I can't test the map now since I'm not at my osu computer, but imo, unlike cs and od, ar isn't there for the sake of difficulty, except in special cases of low ar reading practice maps. An ar that suits the song should be applied to it, not one that just increases the difficulty. If ar is wanted just to make a map harder, I think that's what hr should be for.
nrl

Faces3 wrote:

The word you're looking for is density, and I've already stated that I believe any map above 5* has the necessary density to feel natural at AR10, especially at CS4.

cheezstik wrote:

ar isn't there for the sake of difficulty, except in special cases of low ar reading practice maps.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but the reality is that AR has an obvious, albeit fairly complicated, effect on difficulty.
nooblet
Most people can read AR 9 much more easily than AR 10, but there comes a point where high AR's are required (high bpm maps) in order to keep the map simple and not too hard to read.

REANIMATE (Mythol's diff) is AR 9.5 and doesn't feel high at all. I haven't played that map, but I don't see why it's impossible for a 180-bpm map to be AR 10-worthy (BIG BLACK???)

This doesn't mean I like AR 10 though, I still suck shit at it and completely hate it but it's something I'll have to overcome eventually. Slowly working up from 9.7 ...
Purple
I think the real question here is why has it been so long since we see an ultra-hard map (that warrants the use of AR10) get ranked

IIRC the latest maps that fit that category are Image Material and Leaf - I.

It's like nobody has the guts to map a really hard map and have it go through the ranking process. Nowadays the only occasional challenge we get are divisive reading clusterfucks that only get through the ranking process because they look artistic
nrl
Most of the AR10 maps I've played have been excellent quality. My guess is they don't get ranked because they don't have a complete mapset, not because the maps themselves are subpar.
silmarilen

Purple wrote:

I think the real question here is why has it been so long since we see an ultra-hard map (that warrants the use of AR10) get ranked

It's like nobody has the guts to map a really hard map and have it go through the ranking process. Nowadays the only occasional challenge we get are divisive reading clusterfucks that only get through the ranking process because they look artistic
there is also cheshire,s dance on which the ar fits decently, altho now that we have decimal ar i think a couple of decimals lower would have been better.
Blueprint
AR 9-9.8 FTW
otoed1
It's mainly due to an incomplete mapset. This is not AR 10, but its a prime example of a map that could be ranked but isn't because there is no full mapset. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/185123
Whats the moral of the story? Finish your mapsets ladies and gentlemen. If you're to lazy to make a second map for a really hard map ask someone to make a taiko or mainia or ctb diff for you or something. We need more totally friggin awesome maps :D
jesse1412

silmarilen wrote:

Purple wrote:

there is also cheshire,s dance on which the ar fits decently, altho now that we have decimal ar i think a couple of decimals lower would have been better.
Cheshire dance AR doesn't fit at all...
Stefan
On the other side

I guess CTB AR10 isn't compareable with Standard AR10.