forum

Spinner help?

posted
Total Posts
show more
KagamiHRS

phonics wrote:

well I've been gaming with a mouse for 15+ years and i've never had to make multiple fast circular motions. I spend 15+ mins a day practicing spinners and still cant even get 200rpm consistent and usually cant complete spinners unless I know they are coming. the movement is so foreign that I doubt itll ever start feeling natural no matter how much I practice.
Have you tried spinning the other way around? Also, let's trace your issue. Try making quick a circular motion with your finger, dragging with the table. Is it difficult still and how fast is it? Now, try again but with your whole hand without the mouse. Is it good?
sayonara_sekai

KagamiHRS wrote:

phonics wrote:

well I've been gaming with a mouse for 15+ years and i've never had to make multiple fast circular motions. I spend 15+ mins a day practicing spinners and still cant even get 200rpm consistent and usually cant complete spinners unless I know they are coming. the movement is so foreign that I doubt itll ever start feeling natural no matter how much I practice.
Have you tried spinning the other way around? Also, let's trace your issue. Try making quick a circular motion with your finger, dragging with the table. Is it difficult still and how fast is it? Now, try again but with your whole hand without the mouse. Is it good?
I've tried spinning both ways. My spins are more circular if I spin clockwise but much much slower so I spin CCW. I can do circles fine with my finger / without mouse in hand but the moment I encounter spinners in game I seize up. The biggest problem from watching my replays is that when I spin I tend to cross over to the other side without making the full circle. Say my cursor is at the top I sometime accidentally move it through the center of the spinners to the bottom instantly killing any RPM I might have. I can complete the 20s Ievan polka maybe 1 out of 20 times I try.
Rewben2

phonics wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

if you're fucking up on spinners you're doing something wrong
Oh my. I've been able to 250+rpm since I started playing and that's really nothing good. If you're getting <200 with practice then you should try completely redefining your technique because something is wrong.
B1rd
I could spin over 300rpm as soon as I got a tablet. With a mouse it was closer to 200.
Topic Starter
Yami -chan
Sounds like mouse is pretty bad for osu...My mouse is probably too fat
Woobowiz
Play Ievan Polka, you'll get some good exercise down ;^)
NixXSkate

phonics wrote:

I've tried spinning both ways. My spins are more circular if I spin clockwise but much much slower so I spin CCW. I can do circles fine with my finger / without mouse in hand but the moment I encounter spinners in game I seize up. The biggest problem from watching my replays is that when I spin I tend to cross over to the other side without making the full circle. Say my cursor is at the top I sometime accidentally move it through the center of the spinners to the bottom instantly killing any RPM I might have. I can complete the 20s Ievan polka maybe 1 out of 20 times I try.
Post video
Kaeru
Spin around the center but not too close to the center. You don't actually want to touch the center point with your cursor. DPI also plays a big role here. The faster your DPI is, the faster you'll be able to spin. Of course, you need to be able to control it. I usually get around 370 ~ 400 rpm on spinners with my mouse at 2080 DPI. If you have a gaming mouse, you can also adjust your DPI on the spot as soon as a spinner comes up and switch it back before the spinner ends. This can get you much better spins (especially if the spinner is at the end of the song) at the cost of having to do a little extra work. I don't find the need to do this though since my DPI is already quite high. You can do everything I do with 800 DPI though.. it really just comes with practice.
sayonara_sekai

NixXSkate wrote:

phonics wrote:

Post video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4XcrGSi38&

one at the beginning and one at the end. Sad part is I'd actually consider those spins lucky or even great on my scale of spinning ability.

I use 800dpi but I'm so used to it that I can't really change it but I doubt my sensitivity is the issue.
Kaeru

phonics wrote:

Your cursor should never touch the center of the spinner. Your cursor jitters around a lot and you don't consistently make a circular motion. Try making bigger, cleaner circles with your mouse until you learn to move correctly. Then you can gradually reduce the size of the circles you make in order to spin faster once you feel comfortable. Getting a good mouse pad also helps.
sayonara_sekai
Thats what I try to do when I practice every day but its not really helping at all. Its so frustrating because I improve at everything else every day but I cant deal with the easiest part of the game no matter how hard I try

im prolly thinking about it too much which is making it even worse. maybe one day something will click and I'll learn how to make circles with a mouse.
NixXSkate

phonics wrote:

one at the beginning and one at the end. Sad part is I'd actually consider those spins lucky or even great on my scale of spinning ability.

I use 800dpi but I'm so used to it that I can't really change it but I doubt my sensitivity is the issue.
Your spinning looks too tensed, it's all about momentum, not manually spinning in circles. You want to use the corner of your wrist around right here:

You should push down onto the mousepad or desk around this spot, then pivot around it, spinning with mostly the arm (comming from the elbow). The tension on the skin will cause a circular momentum when moving back and forth from the elbow. Mouse does not have to be gripped hard. If I'm spinning really fast usually everything EXCEPT my hand is tensed. I might post a video if I'm not lazy.
buny

NixXSkate wrote:

phonics wrote:

Your spinning looks too tensed, it's all about momentum, not manually spinning in circles. You want to use the corner of your wrist around right here:

You should push down onto the mousepad or desk around this spot, then pivot around it, spinning with mostly the arm (comming from the elbow). The tension on the skin will cause a circular momentum when moving back and forth from the elbow. Mouse does not have to be gripped hard. If I'm spinning really fast usually everything EXCEPT my hand is tensed. I might post a video if I'm not lazy.
ew
NixXSkate

buny wrote:

ew
That's what happens when back in the day, you were lncognito's only competition. (Besides people that use a spin macro)
buny

NixXSkate wrote:

buny wrote:

ew
That's what happens when back in the day, you were lncognito's only competition.
well you cant forget the seemingly countless cheated spinner scores on easy maps

i envy people who can actually be bothered to spin above 400. i always half ass it
Dexus
380 spm yolo swag. I remember I used to do 470 spins but it was really exhausting and gave up on doing it all the time. I can't seem to get that speed back, mostly because I don't really practice it; It could also be because I am using a massively larger area compared to when I first started. Micro areas and really high dpi seem to help in some way.
Rewben2

NixXSkate wrote:

That's terrifying
Topic Starter
Yami -chan
I was doing ok with spinners for a few weeks. Started spinning off target again(can still do Ievan Polka) if there's a beat preceding the spinner. Not sure if it's because I've been playing that spinner map too much or my muscle memory is failing or something else.
lolcubes
Since this seems to be an active topic again might as well give my input.

I consider my spinners to be way different than what people normally would spin. It all comes down to my ... chair.

Having really good armrests is important because I would just "anchor" myself to them and would use my elbow to perform spinners. All pressure is there and all muscle work comes from my shoulder muscles. No wrist movement at all (my right wrist didn't heal properly when I broke it as a kid so the movement is limited).
Not everyone can have a setup like that, or find it comfortable, but I did and it did wonders (stable 460+ spins on longer spinners).
MostDakka
I'll quote myself from the other thread cause why not

Storm2344 wrote:

Advice to players who play an widescreen with mouse. Try to disable your mouse buttons and press them both when spinning. It'll help in making better circles. Instead of "eggs" you'll start making actual circles. I can spin consistently 410 and if i feel like getting as much as i can from spin i can do 430-440.
It works. Honest. Try making circles in paint. Better circles=better spinning its not everything about speed. But personally i barely care about spinners i usually do them only to get 300 and stop to rest cause they dont help in ranking at all.
B1rd

Rewben2 wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

That's terrifying
o_o and I though my hand was bad.