forum

Finger and wrist pain

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
otonashi-senpai
Hey, yesterday I bought a tablet and since then my fingers and wirst start to hurt after ~20 minutes of playing.
I think this is because I tense up a lot and hold the pen too hard, but I can't hold my hand relaxed..
Any tips on how to hold my hand relaxed while playing?
YukinoDesuDesu
what grip are you using?
Topic Starter
otonashi-senpai
I hold it like I hold a normal pencil.
Domyyynator
I'm a new (and bad) tablet user and I had like the same problems.
It was - indeed - from holding the pen "too hard".
You said you can't hold it relaxxed, but I think you will have to.
Are you dragging or hovering? I mean since i started hovering I didn't have no pain no more, even after hours of playing because it seems to be easier to relax my fingers.
YukinoDesuDesu
well the solution is to relax i can't help you with that though, i'd say try to play without tensing up on maps you find easy first
tryaway
I hold it too like a pen.
Maybe the problem is that you hold it too tight, I had wrist pain too.
Now I'm back to playing with mouse because I found it more comfortably for me.
sayonara_sekai
i didnt have wrist pain but I did have crippling finger pain because I gripped the pen so goddamn hard
YukinoDesuDesu
I too hold it like a pen, force yourself to relax till it becomes natural.
otoed1
Personally, I find that if you cut your finger nails too short, it makes your fingers more sensitive to holding the pen very tightly. Maybe i'm nuts. Idk. Moral of the story, don't hold the pen so hard.
I Give Up
Be gentle with it.

Also wrist pains seem a bit abnormal for holding something like a pencil, I recommend doing simple wrist exercises and arm warm-ups that should help relax your flexer muscles.
Top Bunk
I had similar issues at first too, gripping the pen hard enough I ended up making a crack in it, oops. Just play more without tensing up, even doing easier songs for a bit if you have to. It would help you adjust to a more relaxed grip and you can work your way up from there.
You guys are fucking lightweights, I only experience pain in my thumb.

It's hurting while typing this
Ichi
Just play more, make sure you find a grip which is comfortable to move yet requires minimum force to hold
zwoots
How many fingers do you use to hold the pen steady? If you're using three or more, try taking it down to just your thumb and index. Less fingers make it harder to put pressure on the pen, and your grip will loosen as a result. Also, it will increase your range of motion when moving the pen with your fingers.
Topic Starter
otonashi-senpai
Well my pain got worse over time (it even hurts when I am not playing), so the last 5 days I played less and the last 2 I only played 2-3 songs. Now I played for 30 minutes and it starts hurting again.
So now I put a book under my arm to lift it up and really hope that this will help.

Thank you for your help. :D
Masaki

He4rtl3ss wrote:

Well my pain got worse over time (it even hurts when I am not playing), so the last 5 days I played less and the last 2 I only played 2-3 songs. Now I played for 30 minutes and it starts hurting again.
So now I put a book under my arm to lift it up and really hope that this will help.

Thank you for your help. :D
If at all possible, try to pad the area in which you place your fingers, and remain relaxed during play. I used a tablet a lot when I did art for my graphic design class, and we'd be at it for 2-3 hours at a time. Something I figured is, hold it about half as tightly as you would a pencil and either hover or place it lightly upon the pad.
My Angel Gordon
relax fingers and take breaks
after long play sessions, my thumb hurts sometimes, so it can also depend on your grip
Blankd
I have found that for me personally, it was just the way I was taping the keys on my keyboard instead of sort of mashing the keys completely lifting my fingers off the keys keeping them on greatly reduced this pain and at some times completely stopped it. I think the reason this worked is that your wrists tend to dislike fast hard and rapid movements. It takes a while to get used to but once you do you go back to having the fun that you had when first discovering the game