forum

How do some people play well with full area?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Frc
Well, i´ve been playing with this area for a week

I use osu in window mode too, so it´s very hard to be accurate, and in maps where the hitcircles are too small (CS>5) it is a real pain in ass, because i have a ridiculous small error margin and i can´t hit them accurately in any way.

So i was thinking about changing to full area, there is a lot of people playing that way and it works well for they.

It seems impossible to me, you need to do larger moves (but you have more error margin) and playing that way, aside i do it very bad because i need to large moves to everything (it kills me in jumps, fast sliders, etc...) my wrist ends hurt because i need to move the hand from one side to other of the area too fast (i don´t really know if a wristband would help) I don´t really see a way to playing with full area, i can´t even reach the corners.

How do they do to play that way?
Domyyynator
I guess they just change the sensitivity in the game.
Which won't work for me since I got Windows 8.1, but it should be fine with any other version.
Topic Starter
Frc

Domyyynator wrote:

Which won't work for me since I got Windows 8.1, but it should be fine with any other version.

I don´t think it´s the sensitivity because in tablet the cursor moves where you put the pen.
gadrin
I used to play full tablet are and fullscreen, the way it worked is I had to move my elbow and my wrist to reach certain places. My aim was quite good, except for cross-screen jumps, dues to my limited space in the position where i have my tablet. I had the advantage of resting my elbow, but if you have your tablet next to your keyboard, you would have to get used to lifting your arm and workn' on dem muscles son.
Maxis
I've played full area since day 1 of osu! (both on my old tablet, then my new one. Both were large tablets--my current has a 10" by 6.25" in. active area). All I can really say is that you're just used to it, and if you play with it more you'll likely eventually get used to it. My arm doesn't get tired and my aim is alright compared to my other aspects, and I assume that's just because I'm so used to full area.

Don't know if it makes a difference but I have an odd setup--my tablet is in the center of my desk, then I've got one of those shelf things under the desk where my keyboard is (I never pull it out since I never look at my keyboard lol).

I can't understand how people play with a small area myself.
sayonara_sekai
i used to think full area was impossible but then I actually spent longer than 10 minutes playing with it. instant improvement. Small area was so shit for me I almost went back to mouse.
Domyyynator

FrcV wrote:

Domyyynator wrote:

I don´t think it´s the sensitivity because in tablet the cursor moves where you put the pen.
Ye youre right I was somehow thinking about the mousemode of the tablet.
Topic Starter
Frc
So if i want to play well with full area, i need to play with smaller areas first? (making my initial area bigger eventually)
sayonara_sekai

FrcV wrote:

So if i want to play well with full area, i need to play with smaller areas first? (making my initial area bigger eventually)
i went from an area almost as small as yours to full instantly
ballplay
I started out with a small area then gradually kept increasing the area by a little bit every week. When I got to bigger areas, my wrist would crack all the time but it doesn't crack anymore now since I guess I got used to it.
Bauxe
I played on a larger size without complaining about it being too hard.

protip: I got used to it
Rewben2
I used to use a small area and think full area was going to be way too hard, same as lowering my mouse dpi to 600 from 1800 when playing counterstrike. If you try it once in one huge jump you're obviously not going to able to use it properly off the bat.

When I lowered my mouse dpi I found it absolutely impossible to do 180's but after some time using 600dpi it became easy. The main issue was that I needed to use my wrist more, there's a bit of a technique change that won't come quickly.
randomizer89

FrcV wrote:

So i was thinking about changing to full area, there is a lot of people playing that way and it works well for they.
change area to 2/3 of full. It's optimal. Fullarea for stupid people like me.
[-Cloud-]
1. Set your Area on full area.
2. Don't give up on the first day and get used to it.
3. ???
4. You'll know why.

It's all a matter of time.
Bauxe

randomizer89 wrote:

FrcV wrote:

change area to 2/3 of full. It's optimal. Fullarea for stupid people like me.
Uh no. Stfu.
Vuelo Eluko
i play with around 3/4 full area, if i go full i absolutely cannot reach the top corners of the screen so it's useless unless i want to have my hand free floating and go arm movement.
Gumpy
I have it at 2/3 of the area.
B1rd
you don't need to set the area to full, just set it to the largest area you can reach the four corners. simple.
JonQuy
So what is the benefit to using full area exactly? I've seen a lot of talk about it, but I don't use it myself.
Bweh
Whatever you're comfortable with.

Full area took a while to get used to for doing full screen jumps @200 bpm, but it certainly strengthened my arm for it; helped my spinning too. But that's me; I tried out all kinds of area sizes until I settled on full.
DeletedUser_4041880

JonQuy wrote:

So what is the benefit to using full area exactly? I've seen a lot of talk about it, but I don't use it myself.
It pretty much makes your jumps and whatnot more accurate compared to using only a portion of your tablet area apparently
Bauxe

JonQuy wrote:

Higher room for error.
Bara-
I wasn't even able to set area in my tablet (or at least I'm not aware of it (Bamboo pad usb)) so I Always have tu use Full area, but you get used to it very soon
Seizure

Bauxe wrote:

JonQuy wrote:

Higher room for error.
How does this even make sense when the area where you can miss also increases?
RaneFire

Odbrah wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Higher room for error.
How does this even make sense when the area where you can miss also increases?
It's more like that circle is represented by a physical area on your tablet, which you know where it is instinctively. Having larger physical boundaries means you don't have to land as precisely as if you were using a smaller area. There are also the effects of being nervous, where your hands start shaking, which can really mess up small area players.

If you can aim precisely at smaller areas, even while nervous, then there is no reason to use a larger area.

And then there is "locking-on": The only way to know whether you're just taking your time to aim more precisely as opposed to actually being more precise, is to try both and see which is better. Usually a large area allows you to resolve your aim quicker, even if you feel you lose some aim speed because of the distance. Ultimately you move faster on a larger area and slow down quicker, where as both of these would become "slower" on small areas. So "aim speed vs distance" is not really an issue.
Seizure
It's more like that circle is represented by a physical area on your tablet, which you know where it is instinctively. Having larger physical boundaries means you don't have to land as precisely as if you were using a smaller area. There are also the effects of being nervous, where your hands start shaking, which can really mess up small area players.

If you can aim precisely at smaller areas, even while nervous, then there is no reason to use a larger area.

And then there is "locking-on": The only way to know whether you're just taking your time to aim more precisely as opposed to actually being more precise, is to try both and see which is better. Usually a large area allows you to resolve your aim quicker, even if you feel you lose some aim speed because of the distance. Ultimately you move faster on a larger area and slow down quicker, where as both of these would become "slower" on small areas. So "aim speed vs distance" is not really an issue.
Thanks for the explanation, that was helpful.

Still can't get used to full area at all, maybe it's because my table is too high or I'm used to high dpi mouse, but moving around my entire arm feels so akward. Using around 40%, which allows me to get everywhere with wrist only, shaking does suck like you said though
sayonara_sekai

Odbrah wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, that was helpful.

Still can't get used to full area at all, maybe it's because my table is too high or I'm used to high dpi mouse, but moving around my entire arm feels so akward. Using around 40%, which allows me to get everywhere with wrist only, shaking does suck like you said though
How big is your damn tablet if you have to move your arm? 100% of the movement I do is with my wrist or fingers.
Seizure

phonics wrote:

How big is your damn tablet if you have to move your arm? 100% of the movement I do is with my wrist or fingers.
It's the intuous 480 small lol, idk maybe I'm doing something wrong, there's no way in hell I can use full area and reach the edges without moving my arm considerably. And yes I'm playing in windowed mode
sayonara_sekai

Odbrah wrote:

phonics wrote:

It's the intuous 480 small lol, idk maybe I'm doing something wrong, there's no way in hell I can use full area and reach the edges without moving my arm considerably. And yes I'm playing in windowed mode
I have the same tablet. Are you planting the side of your hand on the tablet? You need to tilt / lift it as necessary instead of moving your arm.
Seizure

phonics wrote:

I have the same tablet. Are you planting the side of your hand on the tablet? You need to tilt / lift it as necessary instead of moving your arm.
Yep, I am as it feels comfortable like I'm writing. Thanks for the tip, will try it out, though I somehow doubt I'll ever be using full area, maybe something larger than what I currently am though
Xantaria
Well, my area is as small as yours. I use my pen as I would use a real pen --> my hand is lying on the tablet, I'm only moving my fingers. I've been going good that way, and if you don't have any problems with small area there is no reason to go full area.
show more