forum

The secret of being pro.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
gadrin
Let me tell you one thing, people out there who suffer from low self-esteem due to osu!
Osu! is a competetive game, that is true. But osu! is not about winning... in fact osu! is about loosing and being bad.

why?

Because when you lose, you know hot to improve, you know what part to focus on and you know how to get better, and nothing can hold you back at that point except your own will . So remember this:
If you are bad at osu! be glad that you are bad, because if you wern't bad you just hit a wall my friend. A permanent wall.

I am bad, and I am glad. Because with this knowledge, i know i can improve and be better. But not good. (or perfect if there are some people who do not understand metaphorical expressions)
sayonara_sekai
what if i have brain problems and my fingers wont do what my brain tells them to
Topic Starter
gadrin

phonics wrote:

what if i have brain problems and my fingers wont do what my brain tells them to
then you wouldn't be able to even install osu!
Ichi
Man, its all about the time you put into the game and how much you want to become good, theres also abit of skill involved too obviously. Let´s not look too much into it.

What you are saying may be good to improve yourself, but become "pro"? well that´s another thing.
Vuelo Eluko

Ichi wrote:

Man, its all about the time you put into the game and how much you want to become good, theres also abit of skill involved too obviously. Let´s not look too much into it.
i lose sleep over how much i want to get better
yet still suck
deletemyaccount
this should be stickied
Zare
so deep
i'm still falling

fuck
sayonara_sekai

gadrin wrote:

phonics wrote:

then you wouldn't be able to even install osu!
my brain problems only affect my ability to click circles
GoldenWolf

Zare wrote:

so deep
i'm still falling

fuck
Topic Starter
gadrin
my brain problems only affect my ability to click circles
If you managed to go as far, you will be able to get even further. Don't cap yourself.

What you are saying may be good to improve yourself, but become "pro"? well that´s another thing.
What i'm trying to say is that some people tend to be very down about some aspects in the game that they do bad at, or by the fact that they can't do something so well.
Dexus
osu! Is whatever you make of it, but honestly if you think depressingly like this how are you supposed to be entertained by this game. The point of a game is to entertain you; not consume you.
Topic Starter
gadrin

Dexus wrote:

osu! Is whatever you make of it, but honestly if you think depressingly like this how are you supposed to be entertained by this game. The point of a game is to entertain you; not consume you.
I find joy in accomplishment.
OneArmedScissor
I started getting better in osu! after I said to myself: "why do I even try? I'm always gonna suck at this". Make no mistake - I still suck, but I'm way better than I used to be and the whole thing is a lot more fun to do.
So I mostly agree with you except for one point: it's not the secret of being pro. It's the secret of enjoying the game.
Vuelo Eluko

OneArmedScissor wrote:

I started getting better in osu! after I said to myself: "why do I even try? I'm always gonna suck at this". Make no mistake - I still suck, but I'm way better and I used to be and the whole thing is a lot more fun to do.
So I mostly agree with you except for one point: it's not the secret of being pro. It's the secret of enjoying the game.
wish i knew how to have fun
i play just to get better
Volcanism

gadrin wrote:

I find joy in accomplishment.
This is so true.
OneArmedScissor

Riince wrote:

i play just to get better
That's why you don't have fun.
[-Cloud-]
Master yourself, master the enemy.
Insyni
So, I know I'm bad. If I have hit a wall because I don't know how to improve/ what part to focus on to get better, does that mean my willpower is lacking or that my knowledge is lacking?
Volcanism

DustyFfy wrote:

So, I know I'm bad. If I have hit a wall because I don't know how to improve/ what part to focus on to get better, does that mean my willpower is lacking or that my knowledge is lacking?
It is usually a mix of both, but you have to realise that 99% of the time, you definitely haven't reached your limit. Also, if you hit a wall, sometimes it is a good idea to take a break.

Always remember, the only way to improve is to play.
Topic Starter
gadrin

DustyFfy wrote:

You never reach a wall, it was just a figure of speech i used to help emphasize my point, that when you think you are bad, that means there is room for imporvement, basically this means you will always be bad, and people ironically think that this means they hit a wall, where in reality it is quite the opposite.

Ask yourself the question, why are you bad? Then based on the answer, move on.
Illkryn
The secret of being pro;

Play more
Insyni

gadrin wrote:

You never reach a wall, it was just a figure of speech i used to help emphasize my point, that when you think you are bad, that means there is room for improvement, basically this means you will always be bad, and people ironically think that this means they hit a wall, where in reality it is quite the opposite.

If it was that easy, people wouldn't come to the forums asking "how do I get better" questions on a regular basis.

Usually the answer is to practice/play more, but sometimes people do practice more and fail to get better. Does this mean that the answer is wrong, or the way the person approached the answer is incorrect?
Topic Starter
gadrin

DustyFfy wrote:

gadrin wrote:

You never reach a wall, it was just a figure of speech i used to help emphasize my point, that when you think you are bad, that means there is room for improvement, basically this means you will always be bad, and people ironically think that this means they hit a wall, where in reality it is quite the opposite.

If it was that easy, people wouldn't come to the forums asking "how do I get better" questions on a regular basis.

Usually the answer is to practice/play more, but sometimes people do practice more and fail to get better. Does this mean that the answer is wrong, or the way the person approached the answer is incorrect?
That means you misunderstood the reason i made this post. This is not a tutorial on how to be pro, this is simply a motivation post i made for people who complain about sucking. Although i do agree the title might be misleading. It is true that to improve one must play more, but that doesn't debunk my theory at all, it does in a way reinforce it in fact.
GoldenWolf

DustyFfy wrote:

Improving in itself is easy, just play stuff that is challenging to you

Most people come here thinking there is some sort of tips or secret to get better other than simply playing more
Zare

GoldenWolf wrote:

DustyFfy wrote:

Improving in itself is easy, just play stuff that is challenging to you

Most people come here thinking there is some sort of tips or secret to get better other than simply playing more
granted, just mindlessly playing whatever isn't always the most efficient way to improve.
There's stuff to understand and to focus on, which may or may not improve your overall enjoyment of the game and the rate at which you improve at certain aspects of the game
Insyni

gadrin wrote:

That means you misunderstood the reason i made this post. This is not a tutorial on how to be pro, this is simply a motivation post i made for people who complain about sucking. Although i do agree the title might be misleading. It is true that to improve one must play more, but that doesn't debunk my theory at all, it does in a way reinforce it in fact.
I was just making a point that people looking for help often think they hit a wall. They don't know why they are bad, making it harder to move forwards.

It's not the title I was looking at anyways, it was simply the wording of the post. I guess I was a bit too analytic about it... lol
Topic Starter
gadrin

DustyFfy wrote:

They don't know why they are bad
If someone says they are bad, they must have some kind of justification, or a reason why they think that way. You can't just jump out of a puddle and shout "HEY LOOK IM BAD" You need to know why you are bad, or have a reason to say that. Otherwise its just... a meaningless comment
Monstrata
If people who were bad knew how to improve, this forum would be a ghost town...
randomizer89

Illkryn wrote:

The secret of being pro;

Play more
you lier the secret is buy tablet and mech kb, and you can play like cookiezi
Insyni

gadrin wrote:

DustyFfy wrote:

They don't know why they are bad
If someone says they are bad, they must have some kind of justification, or a reason why they think that way. You can't just jump out of a puddle and shout "HEY LOOK IM BAD" You need to know why you are bad, or have a reason to say that. Otherwise its just... a meaningless comment
People don't necessarily need to notice specific errors in their playing to know they are bad. They can just look at the high scores to see how they are placed against other people. They can also play multiplayer and always end up in last place in a difficulty they thought they were confident in.

-If a person performs worse than someone with equal to less experience than you, wouldn't that person say they're bad?
-If a map seems easy, a person can't pass it without no-fail, but they still end up with a B in accuracy, wouldn't that person say they're bad?
-If a person passed a map a few months ago a few times, came back to it and were unable to pass it again, wouldn't they say they're bad?

monstrata wrote:

If people who were bad knew how to improve, this forum would be a ghost town...
So true... lol
show more