forum

[invalid] Purge expanded spaces in chat

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Nathanael
Recently, I can see some people expanding spaces in chat which is annoying and considered as a spamming if too excessive.
??:?? Someone:                                             Message 1
??:?? Someone: Message 2
??:?? Someone: Message 3
??:?? Someone: Message 4
etc.

So my request is to purge these spaces into only 1 space to avoid such spamming.
Typing | This                                Message
Result | ??:?? Someone: This Message
Sea_Food
I use space at start when i explain how to use commands. Like how to np = " /np"

How about just make it max 1spaces in a row
- Marco -
I like this idea, Nath but

Sea_Food wrote:

I use space at start when i explain how to use commands. Like how to np = " /np"
^ this...
Topic Starter
Nathanael
Well we can remove that.
Piine
If idiots want to be idiots, rather you mute them instead of putting more work to the game.
Topic Starter
Nathanael
Moderators aren't always available, including me.
Piine
Well that seems to be a moderation problem and the solution would obviously be to get more volunteers? You must understand spam is always going to happen regardless of having this purge idea put into place.
Topic Starter
Nathanael
I always know that spamming is always there as I've already handled a large community before (almost the same as osu!'s community).
This is just only for spaces so I don't mean it for all kinds of spamming ways. And it's not easy to get more volunteers as you think.
deadbeat
gonna have to agree with Sulker on this one. not sure this is going to be overly needed. i don't really see this as much of an issue
Piine
Well It's kinda going to be hard in certain circumstances.. Why not for spaces that are over four and above (and obviously it would be hard to get volunteers because of the harsh certain reasons to achieve such...)
- Marco -
what if

.............................................................................fireruck auto purge text xdxdxdxd

?
deadbeat

marcostudios wrote:

what if

.............................................................................fireruck auto purge text xdxdxdxd
You cannot talk for another 4 minute(s). Check your profile for more information.

?
fixed
zertap
imo osu rapes the irc protocol enough already.. A thing that has been really bothering me, is the offensive language filter option in the settings, but it doesn't have any real effect due to the messages being filtered at the server side already >_>

edit:

I do support this as an optional client-side toggle tho!
Would lessen my headache with ppl who have broken keyboards etc. (million spaces everywhere)
Suikami

deadbeat wrote:

gonna have to agree with Sulker on this one. not sure this is going to be overly needed. i don't really see this as much of an issue
this, kinda agree with this, I think this not going to be overly needed (by everyone), and this is kinda "taking" someone freedom and fun (?)
also
......................sample text
are you serious
this is not even necessary at all, its like leaving the moderation job to the system
not much moderators available you say?

Sulker wrote:

get more volunteers
just like he said, spam will always going to happen and it is your (moderators) job to handle such things (banchobot had helped you in handling some cases so please)
also to be honest, unless the spaces could lead to such double lines or unreadable texts or w/e you're going to call it, i (and prolly most people here) didn't really see spaces as a real issue, compared to other kind of spams
primrose
lol it seems you are moderating #indonesian lately.
i'm fine with this IF it has a clientside toggle like zertap said.
Suikami

Fallist wrote:

seems this is the best way that i can find..
Topic Starter
Nathanael

Fallist wrote:

Are you sure about that? I don't really visit #indonesian unless I am mentioned there.

Ex-Rei wrote:

and this is kinda "taking" someone freedom and fun
Freedom? Fun? IRC chat is not for fun, but for chatting.

inverness wrote:

are you serious
this is not even necessary at all, its like leaving the moderation job to the system
I am serious and I'm leaving this simple part of job to the system before it outputs to other players.

inverness wrote:

spam will always going to happen and it is your (moderators) job to handle such things (banchobot had helped you in handling some cases so please)
also to be honest, unless the spaces could lead to such double lines or unreadable texts or w/e you're going to call it, i (and prolly most people here) didn't really see spaces as a real issue, compared to other kind of spams
Says the one who also spam around certain channels.
I don't want to hear that from someone who also does the same thing. Even this short.
[22:19] <inverness>                                       ilang hape
primrose
Are you sure about that? I don't really visit #indonesian unless I am mentioned there.
i'm just implying :P
if this get implemented it better have a toggle
good luck
Suikami

Nathanael wrote:

then don't put IRC in this game, people play game for finding some fun.
some
FUN.
chatting is one of the way for finding fun, I know this is kinda annoying, but not really a problem for game system.
I doubt ur logic for finding fun
looking at the replies and the receptions of this idea, seems like it is only you who actually took this in a serious manner
which means, other than you, no one is actually bothered with this kind of "spam"
although with the power you have, you can (you HAVE to, considering it's your job) monitor and control such things incase it might became worse, that's what moderators are, right?

my reception is still the same, if (this much) moderators still can't handle such simple thing then why don't just add new moderators (just like Sulker said) if you take a closer look there's a bunch of people hoping to be one, you know.

Nathanael wrote:

I don't want to hear that from someone who also does the same thing. Even this short.
if you decided to take things personally then forum posts isn't exactly the right place to do it, just use the provided private messaging service lol
Sea_Food

Nathanael wrote:

Ex-Rei wrote:

and this is kinda "taking" someone freedom and fun

inverness wrote:

are you serious
I am serious and I'm leaving this simple part of job to the system before it outputs to other players.
For the first part i feel like saying what the fuck am I reading. Like could you elaborate? Almost all of the serious discussion is supposed to be done in forums besides for some specifix channels lile #help and #modreqs and i dont think there is much spam there (deeply sorry if there are, havent spent much time there recently.)

For the second part yes yes simple job for system, but this is just one of the many things the system could "purge" and i really see no reason why this should be priority. Also the less filters there are to do the job the better. If we keep adding filters then soon our chat will look like how runescape looked 8years ago.

Edit: please no more mods either T_T
alxnr

Nathanael wrote:

Chill, Nath. S/he got a point.

inverness wrote:

... why don't just add new moderators (just like Sulker said) if you take a closer look there's a bunch of people hoping to be one, you know.
I don't know how moderators are chosen, but I'm sure it's not that easy.
Topic Starter
Nathanael

alxnr wrote:

Chill, Nath. S/he got a point.
I'm still cool.

Due to feedbacks of some friends I've asked for personal comments, I'm taking this request back for now and I will closely observe the chat.
And I myself will implement it in my own way.
Marking this as invalid.