forum

Consistency

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kerav
Greetings,
again one of those "how go i get better at _____" threads.Couldn´t find one on this specific topic.
I wanted to know what I need to practice to get more consistent - whenever I play a map that I could potentialy FC (For instance this one: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/61401), I start doing random mistakes after a few retries. Sometimes my sightread-play is the best play for >10 tries. In addition to that, I set a score once and after that I (almost) never come close to doing it again until I am quite a bit better than before.

Now my question is: How do I get more consistent, I know that a part of the answer is "play more". But I want to know what I need to play, maps that I can easily fc?(In my case Maps up to ~3,5 Stars) Or rather maps that I could potentialy FC without retrying after doing a mistake.

Thanks in advance.

Ps:
If someone would volunteer to PM me and look at a random replay from me, so he/she could judge wheter I snap or not, I´d be delighted.
MostDakka
Its got a lot to do with your mind. For example if you cant fc a map in few tries you get frustrated and start doing mistakes. You cant just practice it, you need to play relaxed without pressure.

Also take breaks, if you cant FC a map take a break and play something else, there is no point in playing map 30 times in a row with random missses. This wont get you better, only more frustrated.

And belive me when i say that i feel your pain i've been trying to FC Island For 3 days now and best i can get is 98% acc and 1 miss somewhere.
Ichi
Normally you build consistency by playing things you are able to FC but not quite first try, preferably long maps which test your stamina and focus, try some marathons or maybe 3 min maps at the least, GL
sayonara_sekai
FCing lots of maps about ~20% (Star rating. my 'challenging zone' is about 3.8 stars so I played a lot of 3.1-3.3 maps) below my "comfort zone" reduced my random miss rate A LOT. Like it was noticeable within a day of starting to fc the easier maps. I got a lot less retarded misses in 'harder' maps.

Too bad I havent figured out a way to prevent my hand from developing parkinsons and my heart beating 200 times a second when I get near a FC in an actual challenging map.
nooblet
Playing in multiplayer is great for consistency. Being in a competition with someone else for first place will make you focus more than usual, since you won't be subconsciously thinking "I can just retry" because you can't. It's also the best place to find maps your level if you play with others around your rank. I often get personal bests in multi, especially on first tries. I still have numerous personal bests from 1st play multiplayer games.
Topic Starter
Kerav
Thanks for the replies :)
I´ll try doing marathon/long maps then, and I guess playing in multiplayer is not a mistake either.
Also, just letting a map be for a while when I fail to FC it multiple times in a row will probably help to calm my frustration.
nrl
I'll second multiplayer. It won't make you better at working up to an FC over hundreds of retries, but it'll make you a lot more likely to get an FC on the first play. Lots of my top ranks have come from multiplayer as well.

Kerav wrote:

Also, just letting a map be for a while when I fail to FC it multiple times in a row will probably help to calm my frustration.
I wouldn't recommend retrying a map more than two or three times unless you know you can FC it. It'll get you less frustrated, and keeping your maps fresh will help your sight-reading.
RaneFire
Play maps to the end. Play maps that you can play to the end. Maintain your focus throughout it and don't get hung up on silly mistakes like most perpetual retry'ers do. It's a distraction to keep thinking about where you're going to miss when you should instead only be paying attention to reading the map.

Storm2344 wrote:

And belive me when i say that i feel your pain i've been trying to FC Island For 3 days now and best i can get is 98% acc and 1 miss somewhere.
Took me longer to FC Island when I first found it. When I came back later I still missed a few times, but when I finally FC'd it, I did another 3 FC's straight afterwards just for good measure.
B1rd
only thing do really is come back and play the map a few days later. Once I retried a map over 300 times (got within 10 notes of FC...) then I tried it later and I FC'd it within 10.
Ichi

phonics wrote:

Too bad I havent figured out a way to prevent my hand from developing parkinsons and my heart beating 200 times a second when I get near a FC in an actual challenging map.
You usually won´t get nervous on getting a score when you know you have the skill for FCing that particular map and won´t be a fluke score, you still get pressure tho but not as much, and if you care less about if you get it or not, then you won´t be nervous :)
Zare
Obligatory "play EZ mod for a month without ever disabling it"

you will gain reading, which is like the very foundation for consistency
alternatively, play oooold maps with low AR. Talking about the better old ones, not the completely random "how do I put circle on edit"-ones
GoldenWolf

Zare wrote:

alternatively, play oooold maps with low AR. Talking about the better old ones, not the completely random "how do I put circle on edit"-ones
Actually do play these, they will teach you even better how to read correctly