forum

Fingers Freezing/Locking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jiro-kun
I'm wonder if anyone else besides me has had their left hand fingers freezing while playing osu. Lately when I see more than 1 note... my fingers just won't press any keys and freeze and I lose combo. I did recently injure my hand a bit but nothing serious but this has happened a couple of times before I injured myself. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to get over this because it's really frustrating. :L
Rewben2
I've experienced this a few times out of the blue with streams, not any specific length/bpm of streams either. It's quite strange, my index finger just doesn't move up and I don't even realise it at first. It happens rarely but it has happened a few times, so it's not much of an issue for me. Whenever I do experience it I pay attention to my key overlay to make sure I'm actuating the keys and if I'm not - correcting it instantly.
Woobowiz
Fingers locking up is essentially the exact same mental issue as Lazy Cursors.

Similar to lazy cursor, if you see mainly a pattern, like a stream going into a single or a stream going into a slider. Your hands are forgoing the last bits of that stream in anticipation for that single at the very end, thus the lock up. Similarly, if you force the stream, there's a chance your hand will freeze when you try to hit that single or slider at the end, usually causing a miss.

Other cases include back-to-back appearances for triples, which can muddle up your muscles briefly, almost like the finger version of Semantic Satiation.

Reading ahead is the biggest offender for not clicking notes when there are nothing but singles and sliders. Reading ahead means that you forcefully apply a little buffer in your mind about when to press a note. The task becomes increasingly difficult as more notes appear on the screen. As you may have experienced firsthand, when a series of singles appear on the screen before you even click, you're setting up a buffer if you're not quite experienced with a map.

As for a solution to this....well.....I'm not a therapist, the issue is definitely mental (unless it's like 280 bpm single taps, then that's a physical issue).

I do have advice for the issue of Reading ahead though. When you read a number of singles that appear on the screen, do not think "I have to click these notes at these times", instead think "When I click these notes in succession, it should sound like this". If you don't really know what it sounds like, then editor and auto are your friends for that :D
Topic Starter
Jiro-kun

Woobowiz wrote:

I do have advice for the issue of Reading ahead though. When you read a number of singles that appear on the screen, do not think "I have to click these notes at these times", instead think "When I click these notes in succession, it should sound like this". If you don't really know what it sounds like, then editor and auto are your friends for that :D
Hmph okie. I'll take that into consideration. I do read ahead one note because I can't exactly follow the exact note I'm on since my eyes can't follow fast enough so instead I read ahead. I was completely fine but I don't know. My fingers tend to get really numb as well lately but, thank you very much I'll keep trying. :)
khan119
hit your fingers with a hammer and tell them to go fuck themselves it might workthen

not 100% sure but works just as well as aqos training stuff
Topic Starter
Jiro-kun

Sugoi-_-Desu wrote:

hit your fingers with a hammer and tell them to go fuck themselves it might workthen

not 100% sure but works just as well as aqos training stuff
Already tried that. No results. :(
Soarezi
I have the same problem from time to time, the only way im able to fix it is to play 220bpm+ for about 5 hours or more.
Dammie
I had the same problem ( i used to alternate everything) playing 4~* Insanes and one day my fingers just stop working on some patterns as doubles,triples, jumps etc... i was really mad with myself and i didnt know wtf was happening from one day to other i lossed all my skill like i was ''lazy'' to hit some circles ... how i fix it? now i single tap and i just alternate sliders or (double)zz -> (double)xx.

Even if you singletap/alternate i suggest you to train both fingers separately so they will start to react better, it worked for me :D .
animecandylive
Yea...I alternate pretty much everything too. It's quite troublesome with this issue really. Before, the beats just flowed off my fingers at 6*, but now I'm struggling with 4* :')
Caradine
yeah
1Alone
So apparently reliving a dead old thread is a thing now?
SevenK
i have this problem too, but it happens all the time literally. I wish i could fix it. I would be in a middle of a stream on 6* and higher maps and i follow them just fine until my entire hands just stops moving. I have to stretch my hand for a few minutes afterwards and it's really annoying.
marcelo

doomboy315 wrote:

i have this problem too, but it happens all the time literally. I wish i could fix it. I would be in a middle of a stream on 6* and higher maps and i follow them just fine until my entire hands just stops moving. I have to stretch my hand for a few minutes afterwards and it's really annoying.

Stop necroposting, make a new thread about it