forum

I stuck my tablet pen into my old mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Purple
Too lazy to describe my reasons. (hint: ergonomics). Also my fingers and hand have gotten kind of shaky due to rock climbing (I believe).

Essentially, a tablet pen with the shape of a mouse. I have been playing like this for over a month and I can safely say that I'm back to where I was in terms of skill, but I don't know if there's any long-run consequences (like a lower skill ceiling).

Here's a picture & description

SPOILER
http://puu.sh/av6rw/3302070641.jpg

That's the shell of a Logitech MX Revolution mouse. Below is my Artisan Hien mousepad, which sits on top of a scratchboard used for support, which sits on top of my tablet (Wacom CTL480) which is connected to the desk with Velcro. I made the hold using the drill after I eviscerated the mouse.

The pen goes between my fingers and doesn't bother me personally... it doesn't get in the way.

Just wondering if people are willing to try this out, or if it just looks too ridiculous. I'd certainly give it a shot if you are very used to playing osu! with a mouse. Be warned that movement is NOT the same thing as a mouse though. It's mostly for ergonomic purposes. Just make sure that you point the pen to the center of the mouse (to where the mouse sensor should be).
Fluxi
Never see this b4...That's one way to play osu I guess.

Thats some serious DIY stuff done there and yet it looks so well made
GoldenWolf
This is... quite unique... and interesting.
Vuelo Eluko
mouse users be all jealous of my
absolute positioning
absolute positioning
absolute positioning
Moeri_old_1

Riince wrote:

absolute positioning
absolute positioning
absolute positioning
But isn't it kind of useless since it's still mouse movement unless you hover your mouse?
Vuelo Eluko

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

Riince wrote:

absolute positioning
absolute positioning
absolute positioning
But isn't it kind of useless since it's still mouse movement unless you hover your mouse?
not really... the advantage tablets have isnt the movement so much as the absolute positioning which allows you to not drift at all so you never have to pick the mouse up and put it back down somewhere else, and it provides a stronger foundation to develop muscle memory with because when they put their hand at a certain spot their cursor will always be there, with a mouse you could be fully pivoted to the right and your cursor could be in the middle of the screen because it depends more where you pick it up and put it down or where the mouse is when you put your hand on it without the blessing of absolute positioning.

that run-on sentence oh my god.

tl;dr tablet stronk, tablet mouse hybrid just as stronk.
winber1
the tablet is also a different kind of mouse pad so there's that
nrl

Riince wrote:

not really... the advantage tablets have isnt the movement so much as the absolute positioning
No one seems to realize that while absolute positioning has its benefits, tablets are also used for the decreased weight and increased maneuverability of the pen. A mouse can have absolute positioning too, theoretically.
I Give Up
Stabilise the shaking by gripping a mouse while still using tablet lol awesome.

Kousaka Tenshi wrote:

Riince wrote:

absolute positioning
absolute positioning
absolute positioning
That looks like a wireless mouse so he can turn it off while leaving the tablet on.
Pettanko
what is it called? a mablet? tablouse?
sasakura
This is really cool ~~
beeboy123
Interesting, could this damage you tablet/tablet pen?
Fluxi

beeboy123 wrote:

Depending on the feet of the mouse, extensive use can lead to scratches but it depends on how much pressure you apply and the material on the base of the mouse.
Topic Starter
Purple

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Riince wrote:

not really... the advantage tablets have isnt the movement so much as the absolute positioning
No one seems to realize that while absolute positioning has its benefits, tablets are also used for the decreased weight and increased maneuverability of the pen. A mouse can have absolute positioning too, theoretically.
It's a tradeoff for stability, though I'd imagine it would be different if I used a mouse designed for fingertip grip. I'd argue that pengrip is not for everyone and that there should be more varied ways to play without having to diss absolute positioning, but I only have *my* experience to base that on, which is why I made a thread about it. Maybe I just needed more practice holding the pen but I was too curious to commit myself to doing that.

beeboy123 wrote:

I'm not using the tablet as a mousepad, it's too small. I put a scratchboard on it and then put my real mousepad on top of the scratchboard. The scratchboard is just there to support the mousepad. (Don't use a scratchboard. I just picked what was available at the crafting shop. A hard, thin mousepad or similar solid surface would work perfectly.)

Nothing should get damaged as long as you use light adhesive/tape to hold the stuff together
Nameless
That must be heavy, pretty unique though. As long as your happy with it :P
deletemyaccount
That looks awesome!

Would you mind doing a liveplay with it?
The Gambler
Hai purple :)