forum

The Road to Cookiezi-Tier

posted
Total Posts
show more
Zealtron

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Because some people are just naturally good at certain things. You really think glorious lord and master cookie was #1 for so long and by such a wide margin solely because he worked harder than everyone else?
To some extent I do.

It is true Cookiezi was leagues ahead of everyone else, however, I believe there were a variety of factors that made it that way and not just because he was naturally better/talented.
Zare
Ask runners that struggled for dozens of years to beat Usain Bolt but never did, despite their passion and hard work, about this talent thing

We had this discussion MANY times in the past and most people seem to agree that natural talent idneed is a thing, and that, while someone without it can still be awesome, they will have close to zero chances of beating someone who puts in just as much effort, but already has that kind of natural talent
Valdyr
^Which is basically what everyone needs to understand. Talent without effort is wasted talent, but a person who understands that talent is only a tool that helps exceed results of work and practice gets to be good and gets to be noticed as such.
YukinoDesuDesu

Zare wrote:

Ask runners that struggled for dozens of years to beat Usain Bolt but never did, despite their passion and hard work, about this talent thing

We had this discussion MANY times in the past and most people seem to agree that natural talent idneed is a thing, and that, while someone without it can still be awesome, they will have close to zero chances of beating someone who puts in just as much effort, but already has that kind of natural talent
then they should go run marathons
Mythras
nobody knows how much cookiezi practiced, he played offline too. Also, cookiezi is berserker!

Typemoon wiki talking about berserker ---->"As technique is something humans invented to compensate for their weaknesses, it is unnecessary for him because he has no weaknesses." This is cookiezi xD
GoldenWolf

VioletMaid wrote:

nobody knows how much cookiezi practiced, he played offline too. Also, cookiezi is berserker!

Typemoon wiki talking about berserker ---->"As technique is something humans invented to compensate for their weaknesses, it is unnecessary for him because he has no weaknesses." This is cookiezi xD
Hey that's almost true, the guy played with aero on for ages while still performing better than pretty much anyone else at the time after all
winber1
the road to cookiezi-tier has yet again become the road of cookiezi
Vuelo Eluko
cookiezi weakness was high bpm streams
GoldenWolf

Riince wrote:

cookiezi weakness was high bpm streams
hence why it's almost true, he wasn't berserker enough
SnowflakeStreet
Is it really just "playing more"?

I've been playing quite a bit and I feel like I haven't really improved at all since 5k plays ago
GoldenWolf

SnowflakeStreet wrote:

I've been playing quite a bit and I feel like I haven't really improved at all since 5k plays ago
more exactly, playing more challenging stuff*
playing easy all day won't make you better at insanes yo
XGeneral2000

GoldenWolf wrote:

Hey that's almost true, the guy played with aero on for ages while still performing better than pretty much anyone else at the time after all
Is there any other purpose of disabling aero besides eliminating lag (for users with low-end graphics cards, I'm guessing)? I've got it enabled because I like the appearance, but I don't really notice any lag in-game.
nrl

XGeneral2000 wrote:

Is there any other purpose of disabling aero besides eliminating lag (for users with low-end graphics cards, I'm guessing)? I've got it enabled because I like the appearance, but I don't really notice any lag in-game.
Eliminating lag is kind of important.
GoldenWolf
Doesn't matter how strong you computer is, aero will cause some huge ass input lag (ok maybe not THAT big, but clearly a noticeable difference)
I can immediately tell the difference between aero on and off though
Zare
everyone who has used a mouse or tablet for more than 2 minutes can notice that
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

SnowflakeStreet wrote:

Pretty much

SnowflakeStreet wrote:

5k doesn't mean much if you don't include the timeframe ( ex : 5k plays in 2 months compared to 5k plays in a little over a week )

GoldenWolf wrote:

more exactly, playing more challenging stuff*
playing easy all day won't make you better at insanes yo
#2 Waifu speaks the truth. 2 weeks ago, I was training with 5.2-ish star AR 9 maps around 190-200 BPM, but now I'm training with anything over 6 Stars on AR 10 that exceeds 230 BPM (Do keep in mind that I can't clear 6+ star AR 9 maps, because my reading ability is probably my weakest trait).

The results show too, this morning I was finally able to clear maps like Cheatreal, and I got to around 76% into Image Material before I died by a deathstream.
winber1
i still use aero.

which assumes i know what aero is, who knows maybe i'm an idiot
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

winber1 wrote:

i still use aero.

which assumes i know what aero is, who knows maybe i'm an idiot
Basically, Aero == Transparent windows and stuff, etc, can be disabled by using Windows Basic themes
Jenny
Who's Cookiezi
Zare
Who are you
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Jenny wrote:

Who's Cookiezi
Obama

On a separate note......the amount of times I'm playing right now is getting engraved on my wrist....

http://puu.sh/ak3Cf/61c34f1fa6.jpg

But the next school semester will start in August, so I might not be as active (I'll still try to squeeze in at least 2 hours of playing, but when school starts, 8 hours per day is no longer a possibility)
Vuelo Eluko
then august is when the road ends
XGeneral2000

GoldenWolf wrote:

Doesn't matter how strong you computer is, aero will cause some huge ass input lag (ok maybe not THAT big, but clearly a noticeable difference)
I can immediately tell the difference between aero on and off though
I tested with an online reflex tester, and it did seem like disabling aero reduced my reaction times by ~10 ms. But apparently aero disables during fullscreen applications (and I play osu! fullscreen), so maybe that's why I didn't notice any problems. Then again, I used to play on an HDTV with ungodly input lag and "didn't notice" (until I switched to a 2 ms monitor and felt like the Flash) so maybe I'm just bad.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Riince wrote:

then august is when the road ends
Not really, it just means I have to make every play session count and not firetruck around. If it's farming pp, I'll warm up and cycle through the necessary maps with 3-4 retries each. If it's training, I'll again cycle through the necessary maps and ramp up the difficulty and BPM.

XGeneral2000 wrote:

I tested with an online reflex tester, and it did seem like disabling aero reduced my reaction times by ~10 ms. But apparently aero disables during fullscreen applications (and I play osu! fullscreen), so maybe that's why I didn't notice any problems. Then again, I used to play on an HDTV with ungodly input lag and "didn't notice" (until I switched to a 2 ms monitor and felt like the Flash) so maybe I'm just bad.
Cursor tracking, that's the thing that takes the largest impact. It's REALLY noticeable on faster maps.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz
Sorry for double post~

Slight taste of what maps I'm training with now
Vuelo Eluko
hell yeah cheatreal
i expect you to start venturing into 490 territory by 2015
winber1
cloudsmasher pls
Vuelo Eluko

winber1 wrote:

cloudsmasher pls
best one
other than doppelganger
Dexus
Aero would be 16ms of additive latency on a 60hz monitor, 8ms on a 120hz, and 7ms on a 144hz.

When viewing your screen at vsync it's always 1 frame behind. In example if you're playing on 60hz you're 16ms behind always (don't use the UO to compensate this).

So with aero enabled you're 2 frames behind, with a 60hz refresh rate this could be 32ms at minimum just from aero/graphics delay assuming your drivers are pushing single pre-rendered frames. Aero on a 144hz monitor would be about 15ms at minimum.

People obviously don't play with vsync so the numbers are more close to 4ms to 2ms frame latency, 60hz aero would have 18ms delay at minimum, and 144hz would have 9ms at minimum.

Windows handles audio buffers in 10ms intervals so in theory playing on a 144hz monitor with aero on wouldn't be detrimental to the gameplay as long as you're pushing 500fps to 1000fps (anything more than that is really a waste).

Fun bonus fact: Playing on a laptop screen even without aero on would be upwards of 25ms+ display latency so try to get a cheap monitor with a low response time to plug into.
22percentmrekk
Woobowiz, after reading this I decided to start playing osu! again 20 days ago. you have really inspired me to keep playing, thankyou for that. I think I am going to make my own type of diary-based thingy, so that I can track my progress too! I really love this blog-type progress...
GoldenWolf

Woobowiz wrote:

#2 Waifu
Who's the #1 one
I am very very jealous
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

#2 Waifu
Who's the #1 one
I am very very jealous
im pretty sure he mentioned it was jesse earlier in the thread
cant disagree :oops:
YukinoDesuDesu
So you can just leave aero on when you run stuff fullscreen?
Vuelo Eluko
why ever have it on
it serves no purpose
winber1
cuz aero is cool, and i use aero cuz im a bawss
GoldenWolf

winber1 wrote:

cuz aero is cool, and i use aero cuz im a bawss
l0l s4m3
YukinoDesuDesu

Riince wrote:

why ever have it on
it serves no purpose
to please my eyes
Topic Starter
Woobowiz
11 hours later, and I finally hit 3400 pp

I feel like shit, my pen wrist is swollen, and my clicking hand feels like lactic acid did build up on the muscles.

Nothing really impressive in terms of top plays (the only video I wanted to share has a corrupted part, thanks twitch)

Gonna not play at all tomorrow and just watch anime so I can heal up.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz
Huge Update!
(Okay, not THAT huge)

I got my first 200pp play!! HYPE
Ven
Holy Christ, you're really freakin' dedicated. Good on ya, it's awesome reading this and seeing how far you've come.
show more