forum

Science [STD] HD v1.7 Updated (7-20-15)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Science is designed to have a sleek interface alongside easy reading at high AR and high difficulty songs.

Extras

Extras Download
This Download includes alternate versions of most elements including 130 different cursors to chose from.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v7lf6gze97iff10/ExtrasVersion1.0.zip

Cursors Preview (130 to choose from)
With the cursors I suggest adjusting the size to fit your playing needs in the options menu.

(Simple)

(Decorative)

(Marbles)

Current Version Notes
This newest update smooths out many visuals and includes new default numbers, Spinner and Follow Points. In addition I have added the huge extras pack for download. This pack has many alternative versions and old versions of skin elements including over 130 cursors. Moving forward I want to continue improving the base skin while also adding a vast amount more options in extras. If anyone wants to help contribute to the extras I would love to feature other peoples work as alternatives to my own. I will of course credit you and it will help the extras eventually become a wonderful source of skinning elements from which players can create custom skins without the bother of downloading multiple skins or creating their own elements.

I am moving most of the science related part of the post to the bottom as while the skin is originally based on science and the combo colors are still based on that idea the majority of the skin is now being based around easy reading at high AR and a nice sleek interface. I am also considering a name change for the skin so if you have any ideas let me know.

How the Science skin works
All the combo colors are based around the average peak response of human color receptors. Wikipedia says "Cones are sensitive to a range of wavelengths, but are most sensitive to wavelengths near 555 nm."

As you can see this is mostly around green which in addition to being used as combo colors is used throughout the skin.

The default numbers and cursor are made to be in contrast to the primary color of green. This allows the player to more easily aim for the center of hit circles and keep track of the cursor.

It is recommended that when you play with this skin you play in a well lit environment and preferably do not dim the background too much. This is because we want to keep our vision as close to photopic vision as we can. As light dims we move into mesopic vision which changes the average peak response of human color receptors to a more greenish blue rather than straight green and yellowish green that we are more sensitive to otherwise. From Wikipedia "photopic vision allows color perception, mediated by cone cells, and a significantly higher visual acuity and temporal resolution than available with scotopic vision."

In addition to the above good points to using green it also has some good physiological associations. From Wikipedia "Green is also the traditional color of safety and permission; a green light means go ahead, a green card permits permanent residence in the United States." And of course it is associated with good luck.

Past my findings through Wikipedia I also found some scientific studies that have been published from which I found that brighter lighting no matter what color of lighting always leads to better precision and speed when doing fine motor skill type task. So once again try to play in a well lit area.

Bellow here I will include a bunch of links to all the material I watched / read.

Changelog
7-14-14 v1.0 Released

7-17-14 v1.1 Released Fixes harsh lines on default numbers and changes accuracy and Max combo text

7-28-14 v 1.2 Released Fixes follow point size and color, default numbers to white button style, hit burst to colored X, Triangle, Square and Circle, Spinner approach circle to green, Performance graph updated, New countdown numbers, added input overlay and unranked elements, added spin RPM, made selection tab green, remade many items from scratch to @2x, Re centered spinner as it was wobbling a bit.

11-22-14 v 1.3 Major visual make over.

1-9-15 v 1.4 Remade many visuals and smoothed out others.

1-14-15 v 1.5 New spinner and mods

2-1-15 v 1.6 New Ranking Letters and Default Numbers

7-20-15 v 1.7 new Default Numbers, Spinner and Follow Points

Please comment with ideas to improve the skin or just leave me a comment to tell me what you like / dislike.

Feel free to use my elements in other skins if you can just credit me somewhere. Also let me know so I can try out your skin. I have a bad habit of collecting way too many skins. :)

Thanks for taking the time to check out my skin I hope you enjoy it.
Rise_old_1
Well I like it, but isn't it a bit like Luminance skin and mostly average between Red and Purple instead of Red for long play sessions?

If it's inspired by it I like it very much but I feel like it could be done by just recoloring Luminance too.

(BTW default-1 to default-9 don't fit that much in the skin I think, maybe making them dimmer could be good.)
Red_Spade_old
I think the coloring applies to natural light, not exactly on artificial lights especially on poor quality monitors.
Also, blue colored light is supposed to make you stay awake longer, whereas red makes you feel sleepy (not sure if it's from NatGeo or Discovery).

Apart from those, I guess it still goes down to tolerance or being used to it.
OsuMe65
Blue Lights are MORE painful. please.

Hmmmm... what is that Lucida Script (i bet) doing on that ranking screen?
Topic Starter
Gritoit

- Gurc - wrote:

Well I like it, but isn't it a bit like Luminance skin and mostly average between Red and Purple instead of Red for long play sessions?

If it's inspired by it I like it very much but I feel like it could be done by just recoloring Luminance too.

(BTW default-1 to default-9 don't fit that much in the skin I think, maybe making them dimmer could be good.)
Being completely honest I did play with Luminance for a while. In fact I have played with most the big name skins (I have over 100 skins) this was a major contributing factor for me wanting to make my own skin in the first place as none of the skins I tried worked great and had all the features I wanted. Luminance is a nicely designed skin, however even with fully dimmed background and everything set up properly I never felt it was easy to read. A little context of my playing is that I never play a map more than 3 times in a row including restarts before hitting random, so it is very important that I be able to read the map easily the first time. I do however have a lot of respect for Uruoki as they have put a lot of time and effort into improving Luminance. Also Uruoki gained a lot of respect in my eyes by openly in their thread allowing for use of their elements in other skins, something I feel I should make sure and state on all of mine as well. However none of the elements from my skin are even started from Luminance as a template as I used a different skin as my template for Gundam and have since used my own skins each time as a template. This is part of the reason why I have repeated elements from skin to skin. The only similarity to luminance in my opinion is that I do base the skin on scientific research. My skin differs in basically every other element though so a simple recolor of luminance while it may create similar performance results would not be the same aesthetically.

I did try and make the default numbers stick out maybe a bit too much. I will try and make an alternative version that I will put in the extras folder in the next few days.

Sorry for the wall of text just wanted to make sure I explained everything thoroughly.

Also thanks for the suggestion if you find anything else for me to fix let me know.
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Red_Spade wrote:

I think the coloring applies to natural light, not exactly on artificial lights especially on poor quality monitors.
Also, blue colored light is supposed to make you stay awake longer, whereas red makes you feel sleepy (not sure if it's from NatGeo or Discovery).

Apart from those, I guess it still goes down to tolerance or being used to it.
I thought about this too. Indeed since most monitors are back lit (white light) and then the light passes through lcds I guess there is no way for me to know for sure if the science applies equally well to this type of technology as it does in a natural context. I know I have felt like I can read better since using the skin even going back and forth between it my other skins and a few others I have liked in the past. However me feeling like it reads better means little as it could be me mentally predetermining that it should feel better to read. I think that I did not predetermine however as I noticed the results early on even during the period of time I should have been adjusting to the skin.

I have heard that about blue and red light I think this has to do with the color temperature of the sunlight through out the day. Since around noonish the light will be more blue and sunset it will be more red.

I like your last point too. In the end every player will have different preferences, taste and tolerances in skins.

Thanks for your comment you have some nice insight. If you see anything I can fix make sure to tell me.
Topic Starter
Gritoit

OsuMe65 wrote:

Blue Lights are MORE painful. please.
Guessing you are referencing this:

Gritoit wrote:

I also look to make sure not to include any colors that are high-energy visible light as these have been show to be a cause of age related macular degeneration. That is why you will not see any violet or true blue colors in the skin.
Not so much that they hurt but that they can cause damage over a period of time. Also if you have ever been driving late at night and had one of those cars with the bright blue lights coming at you it is actually painful. Or at least it is for me. I might be more sensitive to light though as I hear people with lighter colored eyes tend to be more sensitive to light.

OsuMe65 wrote:

Which element the accuracy / max combo? Also I am guessing you would replace it then. What would be ideal?

BTW I have to say that your skins are some of the best aesthetically designed ones around. I would love to get a chance to have you teach me about making skins as I am very new to this and still feel I basically suck at making skins that don't look bad.

Thanks for your comment I hope to hear back from you about further ways I can improve the skin.
Aka
/me stealing star.png
OsuMe65

Gritoit wrote:

OsuMe65 wrote:

Which element the accuracy / max combo? Also I am guessing you would replace it then. What would be ideal?

BTW I have to say that your skins are some of the best aesthetically designed ones around. I would love to get a chance to have you teach me about making skins as I am very new to this and still feel I basically suck at making skins that don't look bad.
Yep, those two. Any sans serif font will do as long as it fits with your score numbers.
Also, thanks for the compliment. I'm not that really good since I'm just a student. I will (teach) if I'm free.
Rise_old_1

Gritoit wrote:

- Gurc - wrote:

Being completely honest I did play with Luminance for a while. In fact I have played with most the big name skins (I have over 100 skins) this was a major contributing factor for me wanting to make my own skin in the first place as none of the skins I tried worked great and had all the features I wanted. Luminance is a nicely designed skin, however even with fully dimmed background and everything set up properly I never felt it was easy to read. A little context of my playing is that I never play a map more than 3 times in a row including restarts before hitting random, so it is very important that I be able to read the map easily the first time. I do however have a lot of respect for Uruoki as they have put a lot of time and effort into improving Luminance. Also Uruoki gained a lot of respect in my eyes by openly in their thread allowing for use of their elements in other skins, something I feel I should make sure and state on all of mine as well. However none of the elements from my skin are even started from Luminance as a template as I used a different skin as my template for Gundam and have since used my own skins each time as a template. This is part of the reason why I have repeated elements from skin to skin. The only similarity to luminance in my opinion is that I do base the skin on scientific research. My skin differs in basically every other element though so a simple recolor of luminance while it may create similar performance results would not be the same aesthetically.

I did try and make the default numbers stick out maybe a bit too much. I will try and make an alternative version that I will put in the extras folder in the next few days.

Sorry for the wall of text just wanted to make sure I explained everything thoroughly.

Also thanks for the suggestion if you find anything else for me to fix let me know.

That's really well said, I like the skin overall. just though I should point that out in case it was somewhat copied, which I understood wasn't from the
"wall of text" (don't worry I loved the explanation :D )
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Aka wrote:

/me stealing star.png
Cool glad you like it well enough to use it.

OsuMe65 wrote:

Yep, those two. Any sans serif font will do as long as it fits with your score numbers.
Also, thanks for the compliment. I'm not that really good since I'm just a student. I will (teach) if I'm free.
Thanks for the help I have changed it so those now have the same style text as the rest of the skin. Should I PM you a few questions I have? That way you can answer them when you have time.

- Gurc - wrote:

That's really well said, I like the skin overall. just though I should point that out in case it was somewhat copied, which I understood wasn't from the
"wall of text" (don't worry I loved the explanation :D )
Glad the explanation wasn't too much :). I changed the hit circles to be a bit more dulled so they fit in better with the skin if you are interested in getting the newer version. Oh also the screenshots are updated too if you would prefer to check them out first. Let me know what you think either way.
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Just got done with the first of a bunch of extras. For my first extra I have created a bunch of skin.ini files to change the combo colors so everyone can customize the skin to their taste. For the first of many color packs I have done one based around green and other colors that compliment green. There are 20 different ones to chose from. Check the color picker to chose your colors then simply copy the skin.ini file to the science skin folder in osu! The color combinations are thanks to the users over at COLOURlovers. Check out their site if you are ever looking for nice complimentary color combinations.

In the future I plan to make color packs for all the major colors. In addition to this I am working on a set of game play elements so people can customize all of that as well. Look forward soon to a bunch of custom cursors from me. Thanks for checking everything out. If anyone as any suggestion for color palettes let me know.
Topic Starter
Gritoit
New extra out now so we have 20 total cursors to choose from. I suggest adjusting them to fit your playing needs in the options menu.

Also I see people are downloading everything but am missing a lot of feedback. So please leave me some input of any kind so I can keep trying to make this skin better and better.
KazmiSain
Has science gone too far?
AGRX
My feedback:

- Follow-points:
Follow-points make cluster or they are to bright and cut into sliders/circles.
tip: what about to make them darker ? Maybe grey and bit smaller. Without black inside its body.
like make them look like they are not "HIT OBJECTS".

- Cursor/Cursors
The the cursors should be more minimalistic, alternative cursor are too decorative.

- Numbers
The bulls eyes, Dont understand the design maybe to draw attention, idk.
I wonder why are they made of two circles ?
In my opinion its harder to read streams with specific spacing.

-Hitbursts
I like The minimalistic Hitburst.
But maybe give them specific base shapes like triangle squares and outline them with black so they have border?
Definitely the hit0 could be different from all of those to recognize either you get break or miss.

Some elements could be done in HD, make me think they are taken from some other skins elements.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I have decided to make a cursor using vector graphics, cursor I have made (feel free to use it, maybe gonna use it if i gonna release my skin.)

Topic Starter
Gritoit

Agrrox wrote:

My feedback:

- Follow-points:
Follow-points make cluster or they are to bright and cut into sliders/circles.
tip: what about to make them darker ? Maybe grey and bit smaller. Without black inside its body.
like make them look like they are not "HIT OBJECTS".
Thank you so much for all this detailed information. For the follow points you are right I should make them a bit smaller and maybe reduce the contrast on them a bit.

Agrrox wrote:

- Cursor/Cursors
The cursors should be more minimalistic, alternative cursor are too decorative.
For this I think I will leave the current ones available and make a cursor pack that has lots of more minimalistic ones, since a lot of people prefer theirs that way.

Agrrox wrote:

- Numbers
The bulls eyes, Dont understand the design maybe to draw attention, idk.
I wonder why are they made of two circles ?
In my opinion its harder to read streams with specific spacing.
I was trying to go for a bulls eye type effect here. I think for this one since you mentioned it can be harder to read certain streams I will switch it to a more minimal design. Then later I will release the old version along with some other options.

Agrrox wrote:

-Hitbursts
I like The minimalistic Hitburst.
But maybe give them specific base shapes like triangle squares and outline them with black so they have border?
Definitely the hit0 could be different from all of those to recognize either you get break or miss.
For this I will do a light outline and maybe make miss an x, 50 a triangle, and just outline the 100 in black.

Agrrox wrote:

Some elements could be done in HD, make me think they are taken from some other skins elements.
This has to stem from the fact that I used my clean play skin as a template for this skin. I am slowly working on trying to make the whole skin HD/SD now.

Agrrox wrote:

Also I have decided to make a cursor using vector graphics, cursor I have made (feel free to use it, maybe gonna use it if i gonna release my skin.)

I would love to include your cursor as it is very nice looking. How should I credit you? I am thinking I will list it under your name for starters. Thanks again for all the help. If you can further check out my work in the next few days after I update it that would be great since you had some nice insight into changes that needed to be made. I should have the changes done by Thursday I am hoping.
Topic Starter
Gritoit

KazmiSain wrote:

Has science gone too far?
Lol who knows. I am sure some people feel science has gone too far. :)
AGRX
I don't care about credit. I'm just random stranger helping out with skining that have potential and with skins that are not overfeed with Touhou/Kawai/Hentai and similar stuff.

Also whats the difference between "Clean play" skin and "Science" you have made ?
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Agrrox wrote:

I don't care about credit. I'm just random stranger helping out with skining that have potential and with skins that are not overfeed with Touhou/Kawai/Hentai and similar stuff.

Also whats the difference between "Clean play" skin and "Science" you have made ?
I would say it is a few things:
I am aiming to eventually full HD Science (almost there with the update today)
Science has a different set of resident colors mostly green
Science has many elements from clean play remade though not the same and I am trying to keep making them less like each other
Cleanplay has somewhat gimmicky mod icons Science has ones made to look like they are from the periodic table of elements
Lots of little changes that are not immediately noticeable that consumed more of my time than they should have
Lol last one is basically me being slow as many of these should have been easy

In the end though they do have a family resemblance.

Also thanks for all the help I worked out most of the fixes you talked about in your post yesterday and will have them available now. If you can check out the fixes, let me know what you think and if there is any fine tuning to do.
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Huge update to the base skin just out now.

7-28-14 v 1.2 Released Fixes follow point size and color, default numbers to white button style, hit burst to colored X, Triangle, Square and Circle, Spinner approach circle to green, Performance graph updated, New countdown numbers, added input overlay and unranked elements, added spin RPM, made selection tab green, remade many items from scratch to @2x, Re centered spinner as it was wobbling a bit.

Make sure to check out the new screen shots. Don't be afraid to tell me if you see something that can be fixed or improved. The more input I can get the better.
Xial
I don't like the cursor but, great skin anyway !
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Xial wrote:

I don't like the cursor but, great skin anyway !
Thanks glad you like the skin. I am making a bunch of more basic cursors and will likely be changing the main one to one of these within the next few days.

Just got done with the simple set of cursors 60 total to choose from. Still not sure which one to use as the default so I am going to wait a few days to decide. In the mean time let me know what cursor you think fits the skin the best. Also sorry a few of them didn't turn out as great as I had hoped.

(simple) Cursors

Download from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1442znc8zjbo36d/Cursors.zip
This download now includes both the simple and decorative cursors.
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Just released a huge update to the skin. Check out the new screen shots for a bit of an idea. This update changes almost all the elements except a few game play ones. I am trying to move the skin to be a more sleek and clean looking interface. And as always I tried to make the skin so it is easy to read at high AR. Within the next week or so I will be releasing a large amount of extras as well. I have many elements made so that you can customize the skin how you prefer. The extras also include 50 novelty cursors with some very fun and unusual ones. Please let me know below if you think some of the new stuff is good or could use being changed. Thanks a lot for checking out my skin and helping me refine it over time.

Should be releasing the extras by this weekend I hope.
Polymorphism
While I love this skin, why not put an arrow for the slider to go back, and no numbers? (could be an alternative pack or something just asking)
Topic Starter
Gritoit

-Liquid- wrote:

While I love this skin, why not put an arrow for the slider to go back, and no numbers? (could be an alternative pack or something just asking)
Thanks I am glad that you like the skin overall. I am going to be uploading a new version in the next few mins and also a collection of extras which includes a reverse arrow. What do you mean by the no numbers? Currently I have white dots for the numbers unless you mean I should include a set of regular numbers.

Also sorry I am so late in responding I should try and check the forums a bit more frequently.
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Newest update is now available. This update smooths out many visuals and changes a few others completely. In addition I have added the huge extras pack for download. This pack has many alternative versions and old versions of skin elements including over 130 cursors. Moving forward I want to continue improving the base skin while also adding a vast amount more options in extras. If anyone wants to help contribute to the extras I would love to feature other peoples work as alternatives to my own. I will of course credit you and it will help the extras eventually become a wonderful source of skinning elements from which players can create custom skins without the bother of downloading multiple skins or creating their own elements.

Check out the cursors based on marbles bellow

Topic Starter
Gritoit
Version 1.5 is up and includes new selection buttons / mods and a new spinner.

Makes sure to post comments good and bad about the skin. It gets lonely with no one commenting. :(
Xial
Oh there i some good cursor !
Your skin starts to be really good !
Good work !
Topic Starter
Gritoit

Xial wrote:

Oh there i some good cursor !
Your skin starts to be really good !
Good work !
Thanks I am glad to hear you like it. Especially since you are a great skinner yourself! I love your Pure skin and the square one is fun too. If you can think of anything I should work on further let me know.
Xial

Gritoit wrote:

Thanks I am glad to hear you like it. Especially since you are a great skinner yourself! I love your Pure skin and the square one is fun too. If you can think of anything I should work on further let me know.
Oh thats sweet :o Thank's ^-^
Yes i will ^^
Topic Starter
Gritoit
Version 1.6 screenshots and download are now available. Version 1.6 changes the default numbers and adds new ranking letters. Make sure to check everything out in the main post and leave me feedback.
show more