forum

Recommendations for Jumping from Normal to Hard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Frost126
Hi - I know I have hardly any plays, but I was just wondering what you guys think of using No Fail/Half Time in order to learn a song.

I can pretty much SS a 2 star song (2 100s, rest perfect) - I am now trying to move onto the the 3 star version of the same song.

I get like 85% with Half Time and 60% without (using no fail) - what mod configuration would you guys do in order to improve? Should I keep trying the song with no fail?

Also, do people typically change their Universal Offset?

Playing with Mouse + KB if that helps.

Thanks!
Genki1000
2 star -> 3 star is a huge jump. You should try playing some 2.1~2.3 star maps instead.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/95715&m=0 <- 2.3 star normal

I've never touched HT or NF or Universal Offset, but some people have found them useful.
BlackMidKnight
1. Play Normal beatmaps with CS=3 AR=4 and OD=4 with Hardrock + Double Time
2. Play Normal Beatmaps with CS=3 and AR=5 with Double Time

If you can get a hang on it by playing with FC or S/SS, then now try playing hard beatmaps starting with AR=7 or 8 :)
Bauxe
Universal offset is only if your computer has some sort of audio delay or there is some sort of desync.

Play the game. Thats how you go from normal to hard. Play harder maps, and soon enough you will be playing them.
Topic Starter
Frost126
Thanks for the suggestions all!
Martell_old_1
Don't use your universal offset thing to change anything.
Start switching to the harder beatmaps smoothly, not like omgfgwtf 2 stars -> 3 stars, it's such a big jump
Goodluck
I rarely use nofail and never use HT, it's useless imo, but whatever
neonat
One of the things that people would start to find as they go up the rating are beats that are triplets or more, basically streams. training your fingers to get used to going through the motion of doing streams instead of single tapping can help you familiarise with the difficulty. AR is bound to be higher so try and anticipate more.
sayonara_sekai
Hit Accuracy: 83.66%

Play Count: 208

you're only gonna make life harder for yourself by trying to play hards when you cant get 95%+ acc on normals.
Just play until you can S normals first try with no effort, which wont take long. if you spend your time trying to mash through hards when your acc on normals is abysmal you're gonna have a bad time later on.
I started playing 2 months ago and only used nofail once to learn a stream and never used EZ or HT. A month ago AR8 3star maps were impossible for me and now I can get through some 4.5 star AR9 maps.

Dont try to take shortcuts or rush
Vuelo Eluko
too early
way too early, just imo
you could make like me and just skip all the easy shit and nofail ar9 insanes for 5k plays until you can start passing them nomod
but i dont recommend
buny
download more beatmaps so you have more of a difficulty spread.

I'd say trying 2.5stars
Bim
I'd agree, play songs with 2.5 stars and then transition into 3 stars. Play this song https://osu.ppy.sh/b/161381&m=0, it was one of the first "hard" songs i managed to proudly full combo when i first started playing
Dexus
Group by: Difficulty
Select 3 stars
Select the lowest difficulty (Should be 2.5 stars)
Play in order or jump up further if it's too easy.
Aim for at least an A rank for now on maps.
Eventually you will want to group it by ranks achieved.
Then hammer all your ranks out to be high accuracy S ranks.
You can transition your ranks from C to B to A to S, it's fine just do what you're comfortable with and try not to stress yourself out too much for not being perfect like some people do.

If it's too hard your understanding of the game will be skewed into a frantic playstyle based on sight reading and lots of retrying. (I understand some people can manage this and come out better in the end, they are outliers)
If you're playing stuff that's too easy then you'll never progress; it's kind of obvious.
I feel like I personally have progressed very slowly at this game because I don't really challenge myself. Lately though with this star rating system it has been easier for me to challenge my aim/speed without being overwhelmed.
Topic Starter
Frost126
I just full comboed (not 100%) Yousei Teikoku - filament (TV Size) (Insane - 2.7 star/5 CS/8 AR/7 OD/7 HP) - is there a reason it is called Insane? Wouldn't that be more of a mid hard?

I'm assuming that is low stars due to the low amount of objects (189)?
timemon

Frost126 wrote:

I just full comboed (not 100%) Yousei Teikoku - filament (TV Size) (Insane - 2.7 star/5 CS/8 AR/7 OD/7 HP) - is there a reason it is called Insane? Wouldn't that be more of a mid hard?

I'm assuming that is low stars due to the low amount of objects (189)?
They are just name, you have to look at the star rating.
I call them hardly insanes. (huehuehue)

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/82364 the hard diff, is really hard.
This diff taught me so many things. ( but I'm still bad though)
You should give this map a try when you're good enough.
Nytma

Riince wrote:

too early
way too early, just imo
you could make like me and just skip all the easy shit and nofail ar9 insanes for 5k plays until you can start passing them nomod
but i dont recommend
^dis ... did kinda the same ...rly not recommendable but this is how real men do .. thehe :lol: