Uruoki
How about now?
BadFox

Uruoki wrote:

How about now?

Uruoki wrote:

How about now?

Uruoki wrote:

Most replied skin thread in only six months.

If you are new to the Luminance series, please read the information under "Luminance Standard". The current recommended skin is the "Planckian Locus" update. Thank you.

[--------------------]
[ Planckian Locus! ]
[--------------------]

Download: Download from Skin Database
Download Extras from Skin Database
Please download from the Skin Database. It is currently in beta, and needs to be tested. If you see any issue, please report them here.
Special thanks to Redon for allowing me to include Aesthetic's hitsounds.

Luminance started out as a personal project in October of 2013. It had three major goals that sets itself apart from other skins. Look clean enough so it can be used for high level play, please as many people as possibly and the main point, be very well suited for night time playing. The skin started out using -Ryosuke (-Kamui-) skin as a base and a slight color edit for night time. Over time the skin grew more unique characters. One major update that help push this skin was the HD update. Not only did this update make all the elements in HD, but they were also completely redesigned. Another noticeable update was the April 2th. This update reduced the size of a lot of elements to try to compress the file size. It didn't do much, however the skin had a template and could be updated without guess checking now. Over time Luminance became something. With over thousands of downloads, it was becoming popular, and for good reasons. It removed a lot of distractions and had simple elements to make the skin easy to play with. The skin also had a lot of options to fit many different styles. It was being true to all of the goals that was set. All, but one major goal. It was slightly lacking for night time play. It made playing in the dark more bearable, however it was not doing that good of a job. The skin was researched and tested for many months, but it was still failing.

Welcome Planckian Locus. Planckian Locus is a major update for Luminance that aims to improve that current night time experience. Planckian Locus is the path that color temperature travels. Unlike Luminance, where low contrast colors were used, color temperature is the main focus of this update. Color temperature is the measurement of how much radiation is used to deliver the hues of colors to our eyes. Blue/Purple are known as cool colors, they are measured up to 5000k (kelvin is the measurement used). Lower colors such are red/yellow are known as warm colors.

The sun produces around 6500k. When people view their monitors (6500k) they are basically looking into the sun. This is bad for our eyes for long periods of time and can harm us. Whereas we are able to look at a candle light (1850k)for much longer with little damage. Even though the sun looks red/yellow, it actually produces more blue lights than red lights. That is why it is hard to stare at the sun for long periods of time. Around sunrise/sunset the sky turns red for the night. At this moment is sun is producing 1850k (candle light). This is why people are able to view the sunrise/sunset. This also ties in with the other information that Luminance was crafted with.

Since Planckian Locus is mainly focus on color temperature, the skin will seem quite weird. It is mainly hues of red, orange and yellow. However the combo colors are still very much different from each other. Within a few minutes of playing with the skin, our eyes quickly adjust for the lower temperatures, creating a more smoothing osu experience. Taiko and Mania may need a lot of work/feedback for these new changes. This is a new update, and it will still be tested and changed based on feedback. The Luminance series strives to the best night time experience for osu!

Change Logs
Upcoming
Nothing yet.

ranking-panel@2x, ranking-panel: Made them a bit more transparent.

Starting this update, all downloads will be on the Skin Database
Thanks TheOmyNomy for fixing SD scorebar.

1. scorebar-colour, scorebar-bg: Fixed SD scorebar.
  2. ranking-graph, ranking-graph@2x: Fix ranking-graph.
  3. ranking-panel, ranking-panel@2x: Resize ranking-panel.

DL: OSK File ZIP File
  1. Change font for pause menus.
  2. Change font for back and skip.
  3. Made ranking text transparent and moved the old one into extra folder.
  4. SD version of menu-background and fail-background.
  5. Removed larger and small cursor in extra folder.
  6. Version 2.3 to future proof the skin.
  7. Changed fruits mascot to work with new update.
  8. Transparent fruit combo burst.
  9. Changed ranking panel. A bit off, but I can't fix that.
  10. Added 00 - Readme.txt to main folder.
  11. Secret.

OSK File ZIP File
  1. Redesigned menu-button-background.
  2. Redesigned menu-background to add more personality. Everything else in the skin is still pretty simple though.
  3. volume-bg-effect slightly redesigned.
  4. Ranking panel slightly redesigned. Just don't scroll down or you break it.
  5. Ranking graph is transparent.
  6. Replaced hit sounds with Redon's. Custom made sound effects are still in place but Redon's are still in extra folder.
  7. Redesigned pause buttons.
  8. Redesigned slider tick.
  9. Fixed/Redesigned Pause-overlay and fail-overlay. They was jpg for some reason.
  10. Finally skinned cursor-smoke.

1. Version 2.2
  2. menu-button-background is larger to fit thumbnails
  3. Changed mania score colors
  4. Changed mania score location
  5. Skinned taiko hit 300g
  6. Changed taiko hit 0 (May need to change hit100)
  7. Changed star
  8. Changed taiko slider

Fixed Taiko drum being off.

1. Fixed Score/HP Bar to use the new marker. Still looks the same, just future proofing the skin.
  2. Skinned multiplayer-skip.
  3. Redesigned mania-hit. Waiting for feedback.
  4. Redesigned fruit-ryuuta. Waiting for feedback.
  5. Redesigned menu-background. I think.
  6. Redesigned menu-snow. I think.
  7. Changed mania-hit300 to display 320 score instead of 300.
  8. Changed menu-glow back to transparent.
  9. Added 4k-7k.ini
  10. Added large cursor in extra folder.

1. Change hitcircle to be slightly less transparent and match red sliders. Should still be a bit transparent though.
  2. Fixed ranking-winner size.
  3. Changed menu/pause/fail background, menus, star and snow to fit in better with the skin. Redesigned and recolor.
  4. Hid the gamemode icons in the background.
  5. Added Shinobu sound in extra folder.
  6. Fixed menu-button-background being too small for displaying top scores.

1. Fixed menu-background.
  2. Change snow icon.
  3. Fix score ticks.
  4. Replaced anime sounds.
  5. Fix hitcircleoverlay to match hitcircleoverlay@2x.
  6. Changed slider overlay to a more fitting color.

1. Changes all the colors to a lower color temperature.
  2. Selection icons redesigned.
  3. Taiko Mascot removed.
  4. Pass, Fail and Unranked redesigned.
  5. Removed dust.ini
  6. Changed pause and fail background.
  7. Replaced Kamui's sounds with Redon.
  8. Removed Brighter Whites folder. Doesn't fit skin anymore.
  9. Redesigned mode symbols.

[-------------------------]
[ Luminance Standard ]
[-------------------------]

This post is going to be long, so for those that don't feel like reading, I will get straight to it.
Change log is at bottom if you wish to read that.

I made this skin to be used for playing in the dark. Don't forget to check the extra folder for a lot of different options. I tried to make it fit everyone's playstyle.

Download: OSK File ZIP File

Spruce is the default color scheme. It is named skin.ini by default. If you want to use a more brown and red theme, rename skin - dust.ini to skin.ini

Videos

-Kamikaze- Final Update (Before Taiko glow fix)

mekadon 12.1.13 update

Simon 12.1.13 update

Thanks to Kanna for the hitcircle font inspiration and -Ryosuke (-Kamui-) for the sounds and other inspiration.
Everything is made from scratch. Feel free to use this skin however you want.
This mean you can use this skin and release it without asking me first or without giving me credit.

Thank you for using my skin. I hope you enjoy it.

For the people that don't mind reading, the next few paragraphs is the history, reason, science and goal of this theme.

History
You can skip this if you want to, it has nothing to do with the skin.
I started playing OSU back in October of 2013. Even though my profile says longer, I didn't really get into it until recently. Before OSU I graduated college and I am currently interning, working on computers. I sit at computers pretty much all day looking at a bright screen, then go home and want to play OSU, but lose focus due to my eyes being tired. So I done some research about how colors and lights effect the human eyes and went out to design a skin that would work for long stress on the eyes. The following is what I found.

Science
The human eye. It is made of two main cells. The cone and the rod cell. The cone cell is what makes us see all the pretty colors. It is most active during the day time when we see purple, blue and green shades. The problem with this, is that it takes a lot of energy to use. This will be explained later in the thread. The rod cell helps us see light. Basically if you have a light dimmer, it helps us see in different light settings. The bad thing about the rod cell, is that these lights get processed slower in our eyes than the cone cell. However they take less energy. If you notice that you turn on the lights in a dark room, your eyes adapt very fast to the lights. However if you turn off the lights, it takes longer for your eyes to adjust to the new light settings. Within some time, you can see a table in the dark that is sitting right in front of you. This is thanks to our rod cells.

So now that we know what they are, this is how they work.

The frequency is what we are wanting to take a look at. The higher the frequency the more energy is needed to produce those colors in our brain. This is known as the visible spectrum. Since red travels the slowest, it takes less energy. You would think that since OSU can be a pretty fast game, you would want everything to be purple. That way you can detect the circles quickly. This is true, in a way. Think of it like this. If I was to toss you a balloon and a fastball. It would take more energy to catch the baseball than it would to catch the balloon. You would get the baseball faster though. However if I was to toss those items to you a thousand times, you would be more worn out after catching the baseball than the balloon. This would also cause you to start missing the baseball due to all the energy you burned. Same could be said for OSU. You could play about 10 songs with all purple, but your eyes would grow sick of it, and start making mistake. Whereas with a red theme, you could go longer. That is the focus of this skin, to allow long play time, and in the dark.

So there is another factor that goes into this skin. In the screenshots you may notice that there is blue and green. A complete red skin would be better for long game play. That would be a bit bland though. This is where light comes into play. Each color has a certain degree of light it produces.

The bar with the red and black at the very bottom is the bar that shows how much light is being added into that color. The rod cell is what produces light and not color. A low light blue or green color should have the same benefit as a high light red color. Since less light is produced faster than a lot of light. This allows the rod to finish it's job faster so the cone and begin to produce the colors. If that makes any sense. You may also hear the term, low contrast. This should be the same concept.

Some examples of what I mention above is as follows.

Pilots use red lights in their cockpit. The reason is so they can look down at the gauge and look back up into the sky while driving at night so they won't mess up their vision. Since red light are more slower to travel (uses the least energy), they can quickly look back into the night sky and adjust their eyes.
Our cars uses red brake lights for the same reason.
Police also use red lights in their cars so they can adjust their vision.

Some more reading material via Wikipedia. If anyone finds anymore, feel free to share.

Rod Cell
Cone Cell
Purkinje effect
Eye Adaptation
Scotopic Vision
Photopic Vision
Mesopic Vision
Visible Spectrum
Electromagnetic Spectrum
Wavelength
Hertz
Afterimage

Goal
I designed this skin to be used at night time or for long period of gameplay. I have had a lot of feedback about this skin. Since this skin cuts back on a lot of flashy elements and uses a flat and clean design, I have also tried to design it for high level playing.
It is unhealthy to stare at a monitor for too long. Please remember to take breaks. It is important.

Features
  1. Low contrast, low energy consuming colors design for night time playing.
  2. Serif font for easy to read and less distractions.
  3. Most flashy elements reduced.
  4. Minimalistic and clean design.
  5. Transparent middles for hitcircles for easy reading of stacked notes.
  6. Transparent reverse slider arrow for easy reading of stacked notes.
  7. All game modes supported.
Change Logs
For download links after Final release, please use the current download.
  1. Change slider ball to support the new tint option. Please enable this, otherwise it will look bad.
  2. Changed volume slider. I thought I did that already, but looks like I forgot to upload it.
  3. Took Shavit-sama suggest to make hit300 appear in scoreboard, but not playfield.

Fixed the big Taiko hitcircles and reduced the brightness of the extra sliderfollowcircle.

1. Removed 33 files.
  2. A lot of elements have been reduced in size. (Not all, but most)
  3. Star has been redesigned to fit in better.
  4. Spinner layout/design changed a bit, but it should work the same.
  5. Taiko-hit has been removed of blur. They are not clear and noticeable.
  6. Added a brighter sliderfollowcircle in the extra folder that fits the theme. Some people was using a really bright one that did not fit, so I decided to help them out with that.

Skinned icon for cinema mod.

2.20.14 - Final - Fixed
  1. Fixed ranking-X, ranking-XH and ranking-XH@2x.
  2. Added "Dimmer White" folder in extra. Should help with white elements being too bright. Only did the ones that show up on the playing field.
  3. volume-bg-effect skiinned.
  4. Changed hitcircleselect and hitcircleselect@2x around.
  5. Added a quick fix for Taiko glow being too bright. May not be the correct size, but it works.

2.10.14 - Final
  1. counts 1, 2 and 3 now skinned. Just noticed that new skin behaviour doesn't make them appear from the sides.
  2. taiko-bar-right removed. Until skins get better documentations, this will be unskinned. The dimensions is just too much of a pain to mess with.
  3. Mode icons removed. It uses defaults anyway. Just save space.
  4. Fruits and followpoints now in HD. Not tested, but should work. If not, then at least SD does.
  5. hit50k removed, never used.
  6. count1s, count2s, count3s, gos, readys, and spinnerbonus sounds have now been designed.
  7. Easter and Halloween icons added for menusnow.
  8. Ranking panel wider for huge scores.
  9. SD selection random fixed. Was missing F2.
  10. hitsounds removed. Read this post to find out why.

I left the sound I use personally in by mistake. The old ones are in the default folder in the extra folder. I think this also overwrites the new ones I left in by mistake.
  1. button-middle, button-right, button-left, fail-background, menu-back, menu-button-background, menu-button, pause-back, pause-continue, pause-replay, pause-retry, play-skip, ranking-graph, ranking-panel, ranking-winner, and spinner-rpm have all been redesign to match the skin better.
  2. Removed selection-mod-fadeout, and 3 other elements. (They were something to do with ranking-replay, ranking-menu, but they are not used)
  3. LightingL animation frames reduced. Cuts down on distraction and filesize.
  4. ranking-accuracy and ranking-maxcombo has been replaced with blank.png. The old ones are in the extra folder if you want them.
  5. Mania keys are now brighter. To me the blue (middle/special key) was way too dark. Not sure why no one complained.
  6. Think I left in two new sounds. Opps.

1. Included taiko hits and the new spinner.
  2. Fixed different size mod icons
  3. Not suppose to be included, but some new UI has been added. button-left/right/middle, menu-button changed.

DL:OSK File ZIP File
  1. Changed taiko hits. May change later if they are not noticeable. I like them though. Hated them, remade them with an additional download link.
  2. Changed selection buttons on song selection to reflect hotkeys. Random and Maps are the ones that changed.
  3. I forgot to remove a sound that I was working on. So there is a preview of an unfinished spinnerspin sound. This should also give you a sense of speed that Neroh made a point about. Enjoy.
  4. Someone pointed that spinner was unplayable with hidden mod. Download this spinner to fix it.

1. Slidertick, mania-notekeys, mania-keys, taiko-rollend, selectiontab, inputoverlay-background, taiko-bar-right-glow, taiko-bar-right, taiko-glow, lighting for mania, and score font all redesigned.
  2. Extra cursors are bigger and more even.
  3. Added more icons for snow-menu. Dodenherdenki, Doningsdag,Fall, Summer, Snow, Spring, St. Patrick's and Valentine's symbols are in the extra folder.
  4. Fadein, Random, Nightcore, Perfect mod icons has been recolor. Missed those last update.
  5. menu-glow added to skin.ini (and dust). Not sure how it will look since I don't have supporter. :cry: Feedback?
  6. Selection-mod-taiko.png removed

DL:OSK File ZIP File
I forgot to change the sounds back to the default. If you want them they are in the extra folder.
  1. Remove old spinner circle. It is not used in the new skin behavior.
  2. Reduced some file dimensions to make file size smaller.
  3. Spinner-middle@2x has been changed to reduce file size.
  4. Removed spinner-circle and star2 from extra folder. I really see them pointless. If you want them back in, fight me in real life tell me.
  5. Color code mod icons so it is easier to tell them apart.
  6. Ranking-Perfect changed to fit inside the graph now.
  7. Ranking-Title position changed to fit in better.
  8. Menu-Snow changed to get ready for Valentine.
  9. Brighter hitscores and approachcircles in the extra folder. Preview of hitscores.
  10. New hitscores folder in extra folder. It includes the hit300 set and the brighter ones.
  11. Fix unranked.
  12. Readme updated.

1. New hitcircle. It has a transparent middle. Old hitcircle moved into extra folder.
  2. Changed reverse arrow. It is now inside the circle and design has been changed also. This will work well with the transparent hitcircle.
  3. I did something with the old hitcircle, but I forgot. One thing I did do was change the shade to a brighter one so it is easier to see the colors.
  4. Changed drum-slidertick and drum-sliderslide in soundset "CLICK CLICK BANG BANG". They were using the wrong sound.
  5. Added a 7 new cursors in the extra folder.
  6. Deleted cursor_bright and cursor_dark. The colors should be fine now that you don't need those. If you want them, tell me and I will add them back.
  7. Made Snow less of an annoyance.
  8. Removed spinner-metre and two spinner-circles in extra folder. Meter is not used in the new skin behaviour. Not sure about spinner-circles will test later.
  9. Readme.txt has been changed.
  10. Extra folder has been reorganized. Any kind of element that has more than 4 elements will now have it's own folder.
  11. Taiko-drum-inner, Taiko-bar-left, Taikohitcircleoverlay, Taikobigcircleoverlay, Taiko-slider, Taiko-slider-fail has been redesigned.

1. New soundset in the extra folder. It is just clicks so it is more noticeable when playing.
  2. 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k, 8k, random mod icons skinned.
  3. Mania keys skinned.
  4. selection-mod-perfect@2x skinned.
  5. Lightingn and lightingl skinned (modified OSU)
  6. Pause background now has a subtle pattern.
  7. Selection icons on main menu has been skinned. Preview here.
  8. Forced new skin behaviour in skin.ini. This is mainly so I don't have to fix the scoreboard.
  9. play-warningarrow has been changed to a dark black. In the play field it will be a dark red and on menus it will be a dark blue. OSU forces this, but it shouldn't be blinding and it should fit with the skin.
  10. Fruits changed to a circle.
  11. Fruit-Ryuuta changed to Pong bar. Preview of fruits here.
  12. menu-snow.png changed to add more snow. Preview here.
  13. menu-snow.png has been changed to a huge blizzard Preview here.
  14. Changed scorebar design.

I forgot to do selection-mod-perfect@2x. I will add that in a bigger update.
  1. All current skinned elements should now have HD support. (Unless I missed one.) (This does not include the extra folder. Hit300 is skinned though)
  2. New skin behavior supported. A few colors may be off because OSU forces those. Nothing I can do about it. Main colors should be fine though.
  3. Button-left,right,middle is now darker.
  4. Hitcircle design has been changed to a flat design. I like flat designs. I'm an minimalistic.
  5. Hitcircleselect has been changed. I am not a mapper, so I am not sure how this will work. Will change later.
  6. Hitcircles and approachcircle are also brighter, but not blinding.
  7. Hitcircle, approachcircle, hitcircleoverlay, sliderb, sliderfollowcircle are now more crisp instead of being blurry. This may effect eye strain. Not sure yet.
  8. Hitcircleoverlay no longer has a transparent fill in the middle.
  9. Inputoverlay-background has now been recolor.
  10. Inputoverlay-key has been redesigned.
  11. Menu-back is no longer animated. This is only as a temp though.
  12. Menu-button-background redesigned.
  13. Ranking letters has been redesign. (I think, I don't remember what they were before.)
  14. Ranking small letters redesigned. May redesign again.
  15. Ranking-perfect has been recolor.
  16. Ready has been changed to just say "Ready?"
  17. Spinner-middle2 and Volume-bg redesigned.
  18. Spinner-middle redesigned to look like Spinner-middle2 if you are using old skin behavior. This should be good enough so you don't need a hand now.

I think that is all.

1. default-dot, default-percent, default-x, default-comma changed to match the other default fonts.
  2. play-warningarrow redesign. Fits better with circle2 or circle 3 color. Also looks nicer.
  3. All large rankings have been redesign to a more simple flat design.
  4. All small rankings have been clean up. They are a bit more sharp now.
  5. ranking-maxcombo and ranking-accuracy has been resized to not overlap.
  6. ranking-title changed to fit the skin better.

1. hitcircleoverlay has been slightly changed. There was a minor error. May redesign completely later.
  2. hit50, hit100, hit100k has been redesign. May resize or tone down later. Haven't play tested these, but font choice is staying. Picture.
  3. hit300, hit300k, hit300g extras has been added to the extra folder for those that want to use that. Also may redesign due to same reasons. Picture.
  4. Readme in extra folder has been updated.
  5. cursor_naturaldark.png has been rename to cursor_dark.png now. It is more simple.
  6. pause-back, pause-continue, pause-retry has been redesign to match with ranking menu buttons. Buttons in general may get a redesign later.
  7. All the ranking small icons have been redesign. Noticed that they are a bit messy in spots, will clean up later.
  8. followpoint has been added to extra folder. Let me know if it is choppy and I will add more frames. I personally don't use it. Also, it may be shown through the circles. This is because they are semi-transparent. For the people that actually use followpoints, please let me know if this is a hassle, and I will include extra circles that are not transparent.

1. sliderfollowcircle, spinner-approachcircle, [extra] sliderfollowcircle, spinner-approachcircle, spinner-circle, spinner-circle1, spinner-circle2 has been tone down. Not as bright so they don't look out of place.
  2. cursor_natural has been replace as the default cursor now. It is easier on the eyes. The old cursor has been move to extra folder and named "cursor_bright".
  3. Resized hit300, hit300g, hit300k, cursortail, fruit-pear-overlay, playfield, spinner-background, spinner-metre and star2. Now 1x1 to save size. Reduced by 2mb.

1. blank.wav, cursor_natural.png, cursor_naturaldark.png, readme.txt, sliderfollowcircle.png, spinner-approachcircle.png added to extra folder.
  2. Default spinner-approachcircle.png redesign. Circle is thicker now. Old one moved to extra folder.
  3. spinner-circle.png in extra folder redesign. Added an extra hand for an offset. Hopefully this will reduce afterimaging.
  4. ranking-back.png, ranking-replay.png and ranking-retry.png redesign for English text. May redesign again later.
  5. Changed SliderBorder to 200,200,200 in skin.ini and skin - dust.ini. This should match better with the hitcircles now.
  6. Added SongSelectActiveText and SongSelectInactiveText to skin - dust.ini. It was missing before. Not sure how I didn't see that.

1. Changed version number to reflect the date of update.
  2. Added extra folder to include misc. items that others may want.
  3. Made Star2.png transparent. It was annoying and a distraction.
  4. Added star2.png, spinner-metre.png, and 3 spinner-circle.png to extra folder.
  5. Not sure how OSU handle sounds, but some of them was low. Added a 4.5db brickwall compression to applause.wav, combobreak.wav and failsound.wav
  6. Redesign hit-0.png to make it more minimalistic and match the color to fit better with the overall theme.
  7. Redesign scorebar for the same reason as hit-0.png This is what it looks like.
  8. Replaced pause-overlay.png to completely black. The current one was blue and it ruined night vision. This was due to it being too bright. Will redesign later.
  9. Skin - Spruce.ini is now the default color scheme. Renamed to skin.ini
  10. Removed 4k.ini, 8k.ini and so on. Won't be doing those for a long time.

TheOmyNomy

Uruoki wrote:

How about now?
Much better, thank-you :)
AGRX
agree its good!
Topic Starter
Uruoki
If there is no more complaints or concerns about the current status of Planckian Locus, then I will start working full force on the day time version.
AGRX

Uruoki wrote:

If there is no more complaints or concerns about the current status of Planckian Locus, then I will start working full force on the day time version.
agree and can't wait!
gintoki147
Sorry, but can you upload it somewhere?
I'm getting this error:

I've been using your skin since April. Great work. :P
Arin Kaylin
I also have the same error.
Novas-
^^ same
HoneyCakeZ
Too.
gintoki147
The download link is working now, but I suggest you post a mirror just in case.
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Luminance Fluorescence is out.

gintoki147 wrote:

The download link is working now, but I suggest you post a mirror just in case.
If it happens again I will.
WingZero
Hell yes. Luminance in color!!! I'm loving the new look and will be switching between this and placikan
techbot
not sure if just me but the score numbers are way too dark.

but other than that I really like it :)

will there be an extra folder for this skin as well in the future? (for followlines etc)
Topic Starter
Uruoki

techbot wrote:

not sure if just me but the score numbers are way too dark.
will there be an extra folder for this skin as well in the future? (for followlines etc)
I plan on redoing those anyway, and yes there will be an extra folder.
Haskorion
Nice new variation on that skin, but some things could need a make-over. All are personal suggestions and don't necessarily need to be changed.

I personally find the mod icons hard to read. The contrast is too low between the two colors.
To the mod icons on all versions: I don't really like the colour categorization into vertical lines instead of horizontal lines. With the horizontal lines you can display the difficulty level of the mods (easy/harder/unranked) additionally to the information at the left more clearly like that.

The hitscores are too dark to be noticed due to the gradient going to black at the bottom.

I also strongly dislike your standard spinnerspin.wav. This high squarish saw sound is rather annoying.

The other thing is the thickness of the hitcircleoverlay. It is 14 pixel (the HD one) wide between outer and inner border. Due to this a part of the slider shows beneath the inner edge. I would make it 16 pixel wide to hide the sliderborder completely behind the overlay. This wasn't noticable since your old hitcircle went all the way to the edge and hid the sliderborder.
Last is a personal review on all versions up to Fluorescence:
I wasn't really there in the beginnings of the skin, but it made a long way comparing all the old versions. I was hooked on this after the HD release that made this skin an true original one. I liked the non-intrusive color scheme being easy on the eyes and considered it making a skin I would play with often. Having worse skill than now I dropped it because it was somehow difficult to read on. I just later really read the text and liked the concept at first. It is nice seeing a skin themed with so much research and thought going into it. But with the following Planckian Locus update it became more unreadable for me.
With this update I came to a conclusion; your skins are very hard to read for me and don't really fit into my gameplay completely. Your UI was always eye catching but the gameplay is rather distracting after the Pl. Locus update, atleast for standard mode.
I for myself also like to play with a cursortrail and always found it missing in the extras since you also provided followpoints as additional elements. Also hitscores in a plain colour without the gradient would have been a nice addition.
The personally best looking version would be the standard version of your skin with some brighter colours for the combos with maybe your circle design for Fluorescence.
In short: Standard is great and easier to play, after Locus it went too crazy for me personally.

Most of my previous posts on here were rather help on fixes and not really judging comments, so with this update it was time for that.
This is a great project you worked on with detailed reasoning behind your design choices which lead to the success of this skin series.
Let this success grow even more.
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Mod icons are getting a redesigned in both versions. Hitscores are also getting a redesigned. I'll see what I can do about the spinnerspin.wav. It was mainly used as a speed indication. It changes pitches depending on how fast the user speed was. However with the new redesign of the spinner in Fluorescence, this may change to something else. I'll look into the hitcircleoverlay. Cursortrail was not planned at all because at the very beginning it would create an after image effect. It should be fine now if I make it fit Planckian Locus.

As for readability, I can read it just fine. However not everyone has the same monitor that I do. Since this skin is heavily designed around the lighting of colors, it would be really hard to get it perfect for everyone. The only way I could think of how to make it work is to make a contrast meter for people to use that adjusts their contrast to the same amount that I set mine on my monitor. Second note, Planckian Locus was not designed to be read as a top focus. It was mainly made for late nights. Fluorescence will hopefully fix that. If you would go more into details on how it is distracting or unreadable, I will work on. I am pretty sure I am the only person that searches for post that mention my skin, just so I can track down comments and complaints so I can fix them.

Thanks for the review.
TheOmyNomy
It has arrived!

Personally I normally play at night time so It's best for me to use f.lux and Planckian Locus.

I'm also not the 'fluro colour person' so fluro turns me away.
In this case though the fluro is not over powering but isn't too mild, so I'm enjoying it.

ReddScorn wrote:

I personally find the mod icons hard to read. The contrast is too low between the two colors.
I'm Agreeing with you ReddScorn. My monitor is old and terrible so the mod icons are insanely hard to read.

Lets get over the negative junk, the skin overall is doing amazingly, It has a long way to go, but once it's finish I reckon that it's going to be amazing.

Also I've noticed the original Luminance skin is no longer up on main thread, why is that?

Overall so far so good! Keep up the work Uruoki. :)
Topic Starter
Uruoki

TheOmyNomy wrote:

Also I've noticed the original Luminance skin is no longer up on main thread, why is that?
It failed to be Planckian Locus.

I do plan on making another skin that focus on looking good, but that has nothing to do with Luminance.
TheNoobseeker
Is the Fluoriscence just a beta? Because i think at the moment it doesnt look as professional as the old luminance :shock:
Topic Starter
Uruoki

TheNoobseeker wrote:

Is the Fluoriscence just a beta?
Yes. Feel free to leave any comments about it though.
TheNoobseeker
So on the edge of the hit circles there are little white texture mistakes ( http://postimg.org/image/7zfo1p473/ ). And maybe you could make the little circle in the middle of the spin a bit smaller, just my opinion.
Topic Starter
Uruoki

TheNoobseeker wrote:

So on the edge of the hit circles there are little white texture mistakes ( http://postimg.org/image/7zfo1p473/ ). And maybe you could make the little circle in the middle of the spin a bit smaller, just my opinion.
1st problem. That is an issue with osu. The element is completely red. Both HD and SD.

Which circle? The whole thing? They are combined on top of each other.

I can do both or the pink one which is the outline.
TheNoobseeker
The circle is no problem, I just thought that it should be smaller but its ok at the moment.
TheNoobseeker
When does the update come out for Fluorescence
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Next week.
Dare
i gotta say im impressed by the amount off work you have put into this skin.. in my honest opinion this is one off the best skins made from scratch.. everything in the skin itself fits perfectly and it's an easy skin to play with overall. keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!
techbot
regarding the score numbers.

maybe you can replace them with colored dots or something similar? (I've seen a video of someone using a different skin which uses this method)
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Minor update is out.

techbot wrote:

regarding the score numbers.

maybe you can replace them with colored dots or something similar? (I've seen a video of someone using a different skin which uses this method)
I'll think about adding it to extras.
AGRX
I personally like the theory behind the skin ;3 and read it all Uruoki.
But it could be hidden by default into spoiler boxes, because the update spoiler boxes already take so much space D:
Its easy to get lost there, When i browse all of it.
Also could be better to add more clarity. So newcomers wont get lost.

Example of Main Page
Topic Starter
Uruoki
I plan on rewriting the main post sometime. So when I do that, I will make things easier to read.
AGRX
Good to hear. :)
sandra60719

Syrus wrote:

Wow, this is very interesting, I never thought that a colour of a skin actually even mattered. Keep up the good work.
bookustuchus
The reason I'm not doing that well with Standard right now is because a lot of things distract me, I have a small attention span. The bright colors in this skin help me focus and actually helped me improve slightly!
I love this skin so far, and I loved the other one too. Hope this turns out great! ^^
Haskorion
Wanna say that I started playing with Fluorescence a bit more and seeing a slight improvement on my reading.
The mod icon redesign made them clearly readable. Sadly you forgot to change selection-mod-suddendeath.png (SD and HD), and selection-mod-spunout.png (also SD and HD)

While playing I saw that the hitcircleoverlay has small white particles at the edges that aren't visible in GIMP when checking on black background.

If you allow it I made a small fix for the hitcircleoverlay and the forgotten mod icons that you can apply if you want to save some time eventually (simple recolour from the updated mod icons from Locus, you didn't forget them there).

Small Fix + Suggestion on Hitcircleoverlay

I also included a hitcircleoverlay that has a marginal thicker edge on the inner side. This was my suggestion regarding the slidertracks being visible by a small margin.
Topic Starter
Uruoki
Mod icons was skin, just forgot to upload. They are uploaded now.

Hitcircles (16x) still show the white on them.
Haskorion
On my end it didn't show any white particles, SD and HD.

http://puu.sh/++.zip (look at the new one)

Maybe better? Included the XCF-file (GIMP project) using a different method (layer masks).
kaluma0314

[ Pingu ] wrote:

Wow, this is a skin that actually works for me, THANKS! <3
Topic Starter
Uruoki

ReddScorn wrote:

Included the XCF-file (GIMP project).
I don't use GIMP and refuse to download it. I'll mess with it later. This week I am on call at work, so I don't want to get too involved into anything, then get called it.
MrLolrus
Love it so far. Have been using the night version and it feels really soft on the eyes in a similar way that f.lux works. The spinner sound is dreadful though.

First skin I've ever used :)
show more