forum

[Guide] Quickly solve the OGG unrankable issue(ogg into wav)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Osu~ everyone... ^^/
Im so irritated right now... i just kind'a disagree about the OGG is being unrankable.

But here, i'm giving 2 alternatives way(2 steps each) TO follow this rule
Purpose :
-Quick way to solved this especially for all mappers that already implement the ogg used for hitsound/keysounding on their beatmap.
-No need to replace or redo all the hitsound from scratch after u changed your ogg to wav.

Convert and Replace
JUST prepared for the file SIZE if you follow this one, the differences size might reach MORE than 6 times...
in my case , its from total 2,5MB of 80 ogg files become whooping 15MB of 80 wav files. ( my friend confirmed that he got around 9x size )
1.Convert ALL of the ".ogg" into ".wav" at once
In this case and guide, i will used Audacity(audio software) , well there are a lots of audio software out there you can choose...
but still i don't recommended using online converter, REALLY, once again i don't recommended it for lots of reason...

Selecting/highlighted ALL of your .ogg files , Open the audacity , DRAG and drop all the .ogg into the audacity.
Then Ctrl+Shift+L , or "File > Export Multiple"
Export Format should be >>> WAV
Choose your Export Location , AND finally please MAKE sure the "Name files" using this option >>> "Using Label/Track Name"
Then hit "Export" button , just hit ENTER all the way...
(except you want to change some metadata)

After that , delete your .ogg files within your beatmap song if you don't need it anymore or jst moved it out...
then moved all the wav from the output folder that u've jst converted....

Reducing WAV file size
we can reduce them by decreasing the kHZ or bit rate inside audacity and just save as or export the file....
BUT beware of the quality... i'm certain it will drop bit by bit or some unpleasent noise might appear.

2.Replace all of the .ogg coding line used on the specific dif on your beatmap into .wav
Open your specific *.osu difficulties in notepad...
THEN Ctrl+H ( or... Edit > Replace )

Fill the "Find What" box with ".ogg" and Replace with ".wav"

Hit "Replace All" button, save and done...

Yes everything is done, you dont even need to redo your hitsounding on each notes manually ONE by one by your new wav.

Rename and Replace
This Guide might be denied for some thoughts , as i'm aware of this , but still, this WORKS just fine as ived tested it...
1.Rename the ".ogg" into ".wav" manually
Reason : both are audio file sound,
works perfectly just FINE as long as the system can read audio file that supports at least wav, mp3 , avi , flv, ogg
(i say, osu's system works just fine for this)
this way, you also maintaining the file size as it is.

Here, example im going to change my B6S_s.ogg into "B6S_s.wav"

Make sure the option "Hide the extensions for known file types" are unchecked...
(this option located vary by your OS , but here ...
Open Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
Under the View Tab disable the hide extension option... )

then just hit F2 and rename B6S_s.ogg into "B6S_s.wav" :

the Ogg vorbis file has changed into waveform audio file...
DO this for all of your ogg tht needs to be change into wav.

2.Replace all the .ogg coding line used on the specific dif on your beatmap into .wav
Open your specific *.osu difficulties in notepad...
THEN Ctrl+H ( or... Edit > Replace )

Fill the "Find What" box with ".ogg" and Replace with ".wav"

Hit "Replace All" button, save and done...

Yes everything is done, you dont even need to redo your hitsounding on each notes manually ONE by one by your new wav.
A bit Clarification :
Just for your information, Converting back OGG into wav is similar like u convert back mp3 into wav , JPEG into PSD
(i say, useless PSD with BIGGER size than JPEG , while that PSD is 100% same as the JPEG, nothing more)
its kind of nonsense as it doesnt retain THE pure raw files anymore...

Ogg vorbis files > compressed audio file similar to .mp3 , BUT has no delay like mp3 and works exactly as wav when it comes to performances , not editing...

WAVe form files > contains all raw data and its uncompressed file.

(if the rule expected us to change the used ogg into wav, its pointless, but if what the rule means for us is TO USE the real wav version before the compression?
then, i must say , most of us doesnt have it.... really....)

Nah, i know this just a simple guide, but still i make this guide because two of friends just told me that they finished converting the OGG into WAV , and re do all the hitsounding manually using ALT+Left Click... (seriously???) , also i got a lot of question from my mappers friends out there...
Thus i make this guide for references...

Please feel free to tell me to fixed this guide if there are something in needed to be changed.
Or if anyone here got another or faster way for this problem. You can share it here...
Finally, this thread doesnt contain anything that "offense" anyone, its jst a guide and lots thoughts about ogg and wav.
(also i want a confirmation from anyone to agree or not for this "Rename and Replace" method... please state the reason...)

Suggestion
okay, i've HEARD enough of ogg being unofficially supported in osu! or other reason...

WHY not just install the right codec or plug in on osu! to solve ogg problem in next update of osu version later....?????
and also, at the current osu! in terms of performance and loading ogg file, itS TOTALLY doesn't have any problem imo...
except the mod of Double time or half time, i believe it wont doubled on how fast the hitsound is played on background/Sample....
still works normal on the hitsound...

Thank you for reading :)
[AyanoTatemaya]
peppy said that osu! doesn't support .ogg anymore. But then why can osu! still play .ogg files clearly?
And if it does happen, what would happen to the existing ranked mania maps that are fully keysounded (.ogg), like these:
fripSide - only my railgun (TV Size)
kors k - smooooch
Tomatsu Haruka - Yume Sekai (TV Size)
and who would forget this...
Yuuna Sasara feat. Tai no Kobone - Imperishable Night 2006

When I first heard about this unrankable issue, I went apesh*t~, and shared some intense burst of emotion among these mappers:

ishimaru94 wrote:

So, .oggs isn't rankable, .wavs would be ridiculous due to it's bigger size.

Then, mapping for keysounded maps won't be ranked forever in mania. Welp. That's sucks. :|

ExPew wrote:

keysounded map = unrankable....this is funny ever i see

17VA wrote:

sounds legit

rip bms converts

rip my keysounded map

richardfeder wrote:

.ogg are not supported = block all keysounded map. sigh
Side note: so basically, the codec that was still used on the converted files(if the first method was followed) was the one of ogg, 'cause my media player (my default for wav) can't play it, but VLC can (default for ogg). I wonder if other people (esp the bats) would make a fuss about this issue, because if they say that we should convert these files to .wav~ *gets a gun an put in on my head*. And just like you said, almost all of us doesn't have the original wav files for their maps anymore.

Also, I tried to use .mp3, but just like the others said, there's a minute delay when hitting on the notes, which is approximately the difference between a normal 300 and a rainbow.

Great guide btw~!
Zan-
really, this is very useful.
Lach
Do not rename .ogg into .wav. It's not the right way to go about it. In fact, it's painful to fathom the idea that someone would be this desperate. The current .ogg support is legacy, so of course they're going to continue working. You're just not allowed to use the format and rank it.

If you're having problems with keysounded mapset file size consider compressed wav PCM files.
[AyanoTatemaya]

Lach wrote:

If you're having problems with keysounded mapset file size consider compressed wav PCM files.
Please enlighten me more about this~ :)
Topic Starter
LordRaika
yeah, i agree for all of those quote XD

Shinnzan wrote:

really, this is very useful.
Sankyuu ^^b

Lach wrote:

Do not rename .ogg into .wav. It's not the right way to go about it. In fact, it's painful to fathom the idea that someone would be this desperate. The current .ogg support is legacy, so of course they're going to continue working. You're just not allowed to use the format and rank it.

THIS IS what exactly i wnt to know XD , ahaha, thx for confirming this...
well i guess ill have to remove the "Rename and replace" guide... , but even so... it works jst fine imo...
but well, as u said... "The current .ogg support is legacy"
and its not that i am desperate on the size or what thou XD

and yes, perhaps u can help me added the compressed wav PCM files in "Converted and replace" guide...
since in audacity, it seems like i cant configure anything from wav format ( no other given option )
[AyanoTatemaya]
I would just like to add a request about this "compressing thingy". I hope that it could reduce the filesize for a reasonable amount without ruining the quality like having some static noise added, etc.
Lastly, I would like to hear other mappers' thought (esp the BATs) about this.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Usually, using the right converter tools (audio software) , wont cause any noise or something...
(thts one of many reason why i dont recommended online converter X_X )

But keep in mind, ogg mostly cames from their parent, .wav files...
tht makes ogg is already a lossy form of the audio type,

turning them back to wav , WILL have the same quality as the ogg before...,
for the quality i can say , for human's hearing... it has no differences...

but who knows? its like if u converted the compressed file, by repeating this cycle... the quality might drop bit by bit...
wav > ogg > wav > ogg or else
- Yuuto -
Nice thread
HaihRik
Great guide

Sayang gw gak mapping bro
Hoho
Ayachi-
Converted file is way too big can only be fit in marathon map
The second way is a nice one
:)
Nice thread helped a lot
Bobbias

HinagikuKatsura wrote:

I would just like to add a request about this "compressing thingy". I hope that it could reduce the filesize for a reasonable amount without ruining the quality like having some static noise added, etc.
Lastly, I would like to hear other mappers' thought (esp the BATs) about this.
.wav does not describe a specific format of storing audio information. a .wav file can actually contain mp3 encoded music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

.wav files are actually a type of container format called RIFF. It's similar to .avi files, or .mkv files. In .mkv or .avi files, the video could be encoded in a number of different formats (xvid, h.264, etc.). In .wav files, there are many options for how to store the sound too. Unfortunately, storing mp3 audio inside a .wav file is just as bad as storing it in a .mp3 file, so that's not helpful, and the other common formats are not helpful either.

Currently the best options are to either convert every sample to .mp3 files and deal with the delay, or convert them to standard uncompressed .wav files and hope that the uncompressed .wav files aren't too big.
Sorarei

Bobbias wrote:

.wav does not describe a specific format of storing audio information. a .wav file can actually contain mp3 encoded music.
Im trying to convert uncompressed wav to wav (192kbps mp3) it's make delay and i really don't recommend.

usually wav will formatted 44.1kHz 16bit stereo, convert it to 44.1kHz 8bit stereo will reduce size but it make little worst quality
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Thanks guys ^^/

Bobbias wrote:

.wav files are actually a type of container format called RIFF. It's similar to .avi files, or .mkv files. In .mkv or .avi files, the video could be encoded in a number of different formats (xvid, h.264, etc.). In .wav files, there are many options for how to store the sound too. Unfortunately, storing mp3 audio inside a .wav file is just as bad as storing it in a .mp3 file, so that's not helpful, and the other common formats are not helpful either.

Currently the best options are to either convert every sample to .mp3 files and deal with the delay, or convert them to standard uncompressed .wav files and hope that the uncompressed .wav files aren't too big.

Reikosaka wrote:

Im trying to convert uncompressed wav to wav (192kbps mp3) it's make delay and i really don't recommend.

usually wav will formatted 44.1kHz 16bit stereo, convert it to 44.1kHz 8bit stereo will reduce size but it make little worst quality
Yup it is...
also in additional... if we convert compressed audio file into wav , NO MATTER WHAT, its still compressed while the wav is big because the wav file is consider as uncompressed file... SO, compressing the wav again will really reduce the quality....
the wav will always have huge file size no matter what, but yeah we can reduce the kHz and bit rate ,
the wav file size will be greatly reduced, in return of the quality... which is really really bad , imo....

i think i'll update this guide on how to reduce wav file size, ( will be helpful for mapper that use lots of hitsound because of size limit rule )
anyone can help me on this one :D i'll edit my post and guide as well as the credit goes for that person.

So feel free if anyone want to add another guide
either by how to convert ogg to wav in better way or a guide to reduce or compressed wav file
even it reduced the wav quality a bit but reduced the size greatly...

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you :)
Ryu Sei
Use FormatFactory to convert OGG to WAV files quickly. Works 24/7
HOW TO
> Open FF
> Choose Audio on conversion selection, then choose WAV
> Output all of the converts to source folder
> Drag and drop OGG files to file list
> Click OK, then start convert
Lach

Ryu Sei wrote:

Use FormatFactory to convert OGG to WAV files quickly. Works 24/7
HOW TO
> Open FF
> Choose Audio on conversion selection, then choose WAV
> Output all of the converts to source folder
> Drag and drop OGG files to file list
> Click OK, then start convert
Getting the samples into the format is not the issue here. It's the fact that you're limited to 24mb for beatmap submissions.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
Okay before i try this FormatFactory....

i know it WILL does it job by converting ogg to wav....
the problem is, how about THE SIZE???
Ryu Sei
Blame size. IDC about that.
My steps... yah, it's just for half-keysounded map that still have some MP3 and small amount of samples.
Topic Starter
LordRaika
wwell XD thanks but i think wav is still huge....

multiple times LARGER than ogg.... its natural...
for some mapper that use only 1-15 hitsound, its not a big deal...

but for ME?? that use 40-90hitsound or more, this is a big problem for me....