forum

Help on using my tablet correctly

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Maz
So I got a tablet, and its great. The two problems I have is that anything out of reach of my comfortable area on the tablet makes me fail, or messes up my pen grip. The other thing is raising my pen too high. I've tried plenty of different things, but my hand always floats up halfway through a song, so I fail.

Anyone know how to stop this, or change habits?
Kedge_old
The main thing everyone will tell you is to just keep practicing.

I started playing with tablet by dragging, then lifting off for jumps, and now I basically hover everything.

With time you'll get used to how hovering feels and how to do it without losing the connection to the tablet.

Just keep at it, I definitely recommend hovering. After you're used to it, it offers greater speed, control, and won't wear down your pen or tablet.
Topic Starter
Maz

Kedge wrote:

The main thing everyone will tell you is to just keep practicing.

I started playing with tablet by dragging, then lifting off for jumps, and now I basically hover everything.

With time you'll get used to how hovering feels and how to do it without losing the connection to the tablet.

Just keep at it, I definitely recommend hovering. After you're used to it, it offers greater speed, control, and won't wear down your pen or tablet.
Right now I made my osu res. 800 x 600, should I change back and get used to full screen/ the other widescreen?
DeletedUser_4041880
Stick to one setting and get used to it. Changing the settings constantly would make it harder to learn how to use the tablet. If you're planning to play with the full tablet area, keep osu in windowed mode. If you want to play on full screen, make the active area on your tablet smaller. You're gonna get tired real fast if you play with the full area of your tablet while in full screen because of the jumps. You won't get as precise with a small active compared to the full area, but it's preference.

As for hovering problems, just rest your hand against the tablet and hold the pen like you're about to write something. That should put you close enough to the tablet so you can hover comfortably.
Topic Starter
Maz

Frostei wrote:

Stick to one setting and get used to it. Changing the settings constantly would make it harder to learn how to use the tablet. If you're planning to play with the full tablet area, keep osu in windowed mode. If you want to play on full screen, make the active area on your tablet smaller. You're gonna get tired real fast if you play with the full area of your tablet while in full screen because of the jumps. You won't get as precise with a small active compared to the full area, but it's preference.

As for hovering problems, just rest your hand against the tablet and hold the pen like you're about to write something. That should put you close enough to the tablet so you can hover comfortably.
I have an intuos wacom tablet, how would I change the tablet size?
[ infL ]

Maz wrote:

Frostei wrote:

Have you installed the latest drivers from their website? Should be fairly easy to change tablet areas once you do so
B1rd

Maz wrote:

off memory, you click 'tablet properties'; try searching it in the start bar. Providing you have all the software correclty installed of course. (I think the tablet should've come with a cd, you can install all the software off that)

Once you find it, a good tablet size is where you can just reach all four corners of osu!, keeping in mind that the circles never actually go right to the edge of the screen. As for lifting you pen, once you've configured your tablet size, just practise and eventually you'll learn not to do it.
iWhorse

Maz wrote:

So I got a tablet, and its great. The two problems I have is that anything out of reach of my comfortable area on the tablet makes me fail, or messes up my pen grip. The other thing is raising my pen too high. I've tried plenty of different things, but my hand always floats up halfway through a song, so I fail.

Anyone know how to stop this, or change habits?

you change a habit by changing a habit

i.e. practice

also you should never have a "noncomfortable area" in your tablet area, either change that or change your osu! resolution
or change your grip to fit your area