forum

so, streaming

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
retepeters
hi there, lately i have been practising streams and i wonder if buying a mechanical keyboard is really necessary
what i really want to know is:
is it mandatory to buy a mechanical keyboard to beat\fc songs likefreedom dive or mythologia's end?
Noobsicle
probably. its good if you first learn streams and stuff with rubberdomes as their heaviness can help develop stronger fingers/stamina compared to something as light as a cherry red mech board
deletemyaccount
Using a mechanical keyboard would definately help, but mandatory? no.

Even still, I would recommend getting one anyway, it's a worthy purchase.
Rampax
You should get 1 unlike me, all 6 keys on my laptop are barely clickable.
Blueprint
Mechs help with stamina/sustain
xasuma
No
Raniemi
It's not mandatory but buying a good mechanical keyboard eliminates the latency when you press a key which could help in your accuracy. They can also help your stamina because they are usually easier to press.
Tamako Lumisade
So, I have a question. If i can stream almost continously 200bpm on rubbers, I will stream faster on mechanicals or just longer?
Topic Starter
retepeters
ok, also i have a different question now...
i've been reading a lot of people saying that they do 180/200/(whatever is the number) bpm streams
i know what bpm means, but how do you know the bpm of a certain stream?
Maxis

retepeters wrote:

i've been reading a lot of people saying that they do 180/200/(whatever is the number) bpm streams
99.2% of the time streams are just a line of hitcircles that appear 1/4 of a beat between each other. When people say they can do [number] BPM streams, they mean that they can do this certain line of hitcircles that are 1/4 of a beat between each other on a song that's [number] BPM.

In other words, the BPM of the stream is just the BPM of the song (or section of the song) it's in.
XGeneral2000

retepeters wrote:

The stream BPM is usually the song BPM, since that doesn't usually change. There are exceptions, however.

Mechanical keyboards are nice in that they provide more tactile feedback, tend to reduce latency, and can improve stamina if you use them correctly (release at the switch activation point as opposed to bottoming them out). However, I am of the opinion that anything you can do on a mechanical keyboard, you can do on a membrane keyboard. If you've got the disposable income, sure, go ahead and pick up a mechanical keyboard (it's nice for general typing too, not just osu). But don't think it will magically make you better or more accurate. Always look to improve technique before equipment.
nooblet
I use a laptop keyboard. I like to think I can stream. It's usually controlled mashing, but the end result is the same. I've only used ultra-thin externals and laptop keyboards before since I hate thick (mech) keyboards, I can easily get above 100 wpm typing if I know exactly what I need to type. I'm not really used to mechs, so I suck at them, the clicks and middle activation point throw me off.

Answer: No. Use what you're used to, use what you're comfortable and good with.
Hitoyomi_old

Husky wrote:

So, I have a question. If i can stream almost continously 200bpm on rubbers, I will stream faster on mechanicals or just longer?

Not a huge difference probably, the keys will just handle getting smashed a lot easier.

EDIT: Got inspired to try an old shitty membrane keyboard I had. If anything a mech will improve your accuracy, but not much else. Found it actually easier to play really stamina reliant stuff with a membrane.
GoldenWolf

retepeters wrote:

is it mandatory to buy a mechanical keyboard to beat\fc songs likefreedom dive or mythologia's end?
no
but it does help
Makeruno
Sure, Mech Keyboards have the 'feel' when you press it
Topic Starter
retepeters

retepeters wrote:

99.2% of the time streams are just a line of hitcircles that appear 1/4 of a beat between each other. When people say they can do [number] BPM streams, they mean that they can do this certain line of hitcircles that are 1/4 of a beat between each other on a song that's [number] BPM.

In other words, the BPM of the stream is just the BPM of the song (or section of the song) it's in.
and how can i tell that they appear 1/4 of a beat from each other ? x)

also, let's say i am going to buy a mech keyboard, is there much difference between the switches? what's your opinion on the best colour?
f i z i k

retepeters wrote:

also, let's say i am going to buy a mech keyboard, is there much difference between the switches? what's your opinion on the best colour?
By hearing you can tell. Remember it's a rhythm game,you can't tell much about music by looking at the appearing notes. You'll get a feel for it at one point.

Anyways,switches are purely preference. Theoretically speaking,reds are the best since they are the lightest and the easiest to press so they give you the best stamina. But some people don't like the light feeling on them,so they perform worse. I personally liked blues the most and I've tried all of them except browns...your best bet is to try them all and then decide on the ones you feel the most comfortable on.
EcksDee

f i z i k wrote:

retepeters wrote:

By hearing you can tell. Remember it's a rhythm game,you can't tell much about music by looking at the appearing notes. You'll get a feel for it at one point.

Anyways,switches are purely preference. Theoretically speaking,reds are the best since they are the lightest and the easiest to press so they give you the best stamina. But some people don't like the light feeling on them,so they perform worse. I personally liked blues the most and I've tried all of them except browns...your best bet is to try them all and then decide on the ones you feel the most comfortable on.
Arent blacks better for stamina training purely because they are harder to press?
f i z i k

EcksDee wrote:

Arent blacks better for stamina training purely because they are harder to press?
My opinion as someone who can't even stream 170bpm properly:
I've had all switches in my keyboard and yeah,I used blacks to train. They tired me out so much quicker and when I went back to reds it was hard to adjust ;_; Blues were my go-to for good accuracy,idk why but the tactile feeling makes it super nice to be accurate. Reds easily gave a lot more stamina,but I really liked blacks too. They were like perfect in a way,so yeah. Buying them on what other people tell you isn't gonna work most likely,you gotta test it.
iWhorse

retepeters wrote:

hi there, lately i have been practising streams and i wonder if buying a mechanical keyboard is really necessary
what i really want to know is:

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/isokasapupuja

SPOILER
rubber dome master race?
Cocaine dog
You probably won't even notice the BPM after a while because you'll recognize the pattern of the faster streams with help from AR or rythm/song..

I have a mechanical keyboard and I recommend it to the fullest:)
Coffee Hero

nooblet wrote:

Answer: No. Use what you're used to, use what you're comfortable and good with.
What....?
AegisFTW
I've been able to death stream for a long period of time at 200 BPM with a membrane keyboard, and pretty much been able to go to the 300s when burst streaming.

Aside from all that I think it would be wise to get a mechanical keyboard