forum

[New Rule] Songs with feedback sounds/effects

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dolphin
Examples of what I am talking about:
  1. SOUND VOLTEX songs with their effects in the MP3.
  2. Live Replays of keysounded games such as BMS Sims, beatmania IIDX, pop'n music, etc.
  3. Live Replays of osu! maps.
I do not agree that using MP3s of songs with any sort of feedback sounds/effects should be rankable.
For example; SOUND VOLTEX uses special cut-out sounds, stuttering and explosions as feedback sounds for the people playing it, and are not a part of the original song. Keep in mind that these effects are played by human players, therefore they are not accurate, unless they are played by the game itself, in this case, the game does not have a Autoplay mode, nor does my examples above.

Before arguing against this rule, ask yourself this:
Would you map a replay of someone playing osu?
Would you map a replay of someone playing The Big Black?
Would you map a live replay of someone playing keysounded games, such as beatmania IIDX or pop'n music?
How is this anything different to my main example?

Mappers should use a proper MP3 from a proper source, such as Original Soundtracks, Analyzed Soundtracks, Albums, or other given download links.

For SOUND VOLTEX songs, there are perfectly obtainable sources that are presented in the form of Analyzed Soundtracks and GSTs (Game Soundtracks)

For BMS songs that do not have a source for an MP3, there is a tool that lets you create a Wave-file out of a BMS file. This Wavefile counts as an Autoplay as the software reads the BMS file and places the correct keysounds at the correct timing. You would then convert this .wav file into .mp3 for size reduction and osu! support. This also means that the output wave file is lossless from the BMS source.

So in the end, the new rule that I suggest should be added is
MP3s with feedback sounds from a game are not allowed.
I am completely open for debate. I'd like to hear arguments for and against this rule addition.
Tear
Support, it seems just stupid to map recordings of live plays.
Maiz94
Question about SDVX.

Isn't the sound effects still can be heard even the player missed some notes on some respective video hosting sites?
Topic Starter
Dolphin
The effects on SDVX are keysounded, you won't hear them if you don't play, much like IIDX and Pop'n.
Remillion Cross
i didn't know if someone will map from a live replays of osu!maps
i need an example for this first
pkoa
I support this. Lets get this rule through :)
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Remillion Cross wrote:

my point is that you wouldn't want to map a live replay of any video game and rank it. this was just a very extreme example (yet it fits)
Maiz94
I see. What about autoplay videos then on IIDX, SDVX and Pop'n games?
Topic Starter
Dolphin

ishimaru94 wrote:

I see. What about autoplay videos then on IIDX, SDVX and Pop'n games?
Acceptable, but you can also just as easily get the song MP3s from OSTs
SDVX however is a special case, it would be like mapping a replay of someone playing osu! which I wouldn't allow to be rankable.
Maiz94
Well, I have no more questions to ask. I'll leave to the higher authorities to decide. :D
Liiraye
People are free to map whatever they want, be it a live piano piece or someone taking a piss while humming the big black.

Ranking things however is a more delicate issue. The maps we rank here will officially represent this game in a way. Being careless or cutting corners
when it comes to the actual rhythm and hitsounds of a bemani game is not something I would want to have ranked if I ever had such a position.

If all the notes are taken into account, like in the map MiddleIsland - Roze, a live piano piece shouldn't be a problem since they're usually unique or variations of an original piece. A SDVX song that is completely ripped from a liveplay or other bemani games for that matter doesn't really make any damn sense to rank though. Especially if there are ways of obtaining the original soundtrack.

I fully agree.
Remillion Cross

Dolphin wrote:

Remillion Cross wrote:

my point is that you wouldn't want to map a live replay of any video game and rank it. this was just a very extreme example (yet it fits)
oh i see. but the SDVX version, are you really sure if the effect was made only in replays ?
Topic Starter
Dolphin
yes. the effects you hear on SDVX are sounds made by the player playing them.
Remillion Cross

Dolphin wrote:

yes. the effects you hear on SDVX are sounds made by the player playing them.
okay then, no more question. For now, i leave it to others to decide.
i need a time to decide about this too :o
peppy
If the songs are from sound voltex which are being mapped, and are generally heard WITH the effects applied, then I see no issue in baking them into the mp3. If they are songs from elsewhere then I can see this being an issue.

Up to the mapper, in my opinion.
Topic Starter
Dolphin
the issue is that the sounds are inaccurately timed to the music due to them being played by human players.
Dainesl
It might only be a few ms inaccurate but a few ms in a rhythm game can make ALL the difference.
HanzeR
mapping to sdvx effects is really fun tho
Nwolf
yes
Krah
If people want to map an inaccurate mp3 let they do.

Clearly against the fact to interdict to people some mp3 / songs.
Avena
I find this pretty smart, I've seen maps like Jenny's Flower have timing issues due to the SDVX effects, so if these aren't part of the mp3, it makes it much easier on the mapper and the player.
Even though I really like the effects SDVX brings into the song with the random beats (1/3 and such), I find it kinda bad when it comes to a map.
Topic Starter
Dolphin

Krah wrote:

If people want to map an inaccurate mp3 let they do.

Clearly against the fact to interdict to people some mp3 / songs.

Ranking Criteria wrote:

Your map must be perfectly timed. This means that your BPM and offset are spot-on, sliders end when they should, notes are generally following a recognizable rhythm (such as the lyrics or drums) which is comprehensible by a player, and that there are no unsnapped notes (you can check this by running AIMod (shortcut ctrl+shift+a) in the editor).
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Ranking_Criteria#Timing
Following this rule, it means that if the feedback sounds are inaccurate, its unrankable.
This matters hugely in a rhythm game.
Redon
show more