forum

Things you didn't know about osu for a bit that you should?

posted
Total Posts
show more
tecu
You can restart the song with CTRL+R
esibun
Missing slider ends don't drop combo but missing slider beginnings and ticks do. Therefore, it's possible to lose a couple combo points from missed slider ends.

Also: Right clicking on a user in the local records window allows you to export that replay or delete that replay.
Insyni

silmarilen wrote:

DustyFfy wrote:

For the first few months of osu, I didn't know that you could add/ make collections by right clicking a song.

Though I'm sure everyone knows this by now...
that option wasnt even added too long ago, i wouldnt be surprised if it didnt exist yet in your first couple of months.
No wonder! I thought I was just being oblivious...
Soo bin
that you can play osu with a keyboard..
MajicPants

Astar wrote:

I didn't know what does AR, OD, BPM or FC mean and what they do until I got into top 500. I just played ignoring those things. ;;
Ok this makes me want to cry :cry:
Granger

esibun wrote:

Right clicking on a user in the local records window allows you to export that replay or delete that replay.
Hey i didnt know that. Now thats usefull to know~
Mira-san
Ctrl+Tab to change chat tabs forward.
Ctrl+Shift+Tab vice versa.

Didn't know about this until last year. :o

Also pressing Alt+F4 while playing a song will take you back to the song selection screen.

Since 2 years ago.
vsprite

Mira-san wrote:

Ctrl+Tab to change chat tabs forward.
Ctrl+Shift+Tab vice versa.

Didn't know about this until last year. :o

Also pressing Alt+F4 while playing a song will take you back to the song selection screen.

Since 2 years ago.
69th post
Hinsvar
I only knew about using Alt+Shift+mouse scroll to increase or decrease the DS value (in the editor ofc) that you want to use by a hundredth scale a few months ago.

And I'm an active mapper...

Also, I only knew a month ago that it's possible to adjust the effect volume by using Alt+mouse scroll on the main menu, and Ctrl+Alt+Shift+mouse scroll in the song selection and editor.

I'm feeling pretty slow for some reason.
Aria Kanzaki
I never knew that you can draw something during break time by using smoke effect. (was set for "c" as default for me)
Now every break time I mess around with smokes lol
Bonsai

wildones9 wrote:

I never knew that you can draw something during break time by using smoke effect. (was set for "c" as default for me)
Now every break time I mess around with smokes lol
that hasn't been implemented for too long either, just one month or so
Asagi

Nathanael wrote:

I bet many don't know that they can refresh their skins by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S.
My life is now complete
Nathanael
Many people also don't know that they can view the client commands by typing /help.
Anzo
I recently discovered that a map with a diff name "Marathon" avoids that 24MB beatmap limit.
Mismagius

Nathanael wrote:

I bet many don't know that they can refresh their skins by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S.
hooooooooooly shit

I bet people still don't know that Nogard is Dragon backwards
/nopm is a quick way to disable private messages from non-friends in chat
Alt+0 till Alt+9 will switch through chat tabs
By typing /bb <message>, you can avoid opening a chat tab with BanchoBot.

For mappers: if you go to Options > Editor > Use Default skin, you'll never have to manually switch to default skin whenever you want to map.
Rio-
that pressing F2 is a faster (and instant) way for playing a Random song... and when pressing "Random Map" button instead , It's just like playing a roulette wheel...
techbot
you can also hold it to let it spin further.
GoldenWolf

Blue Dragon wrote:

For mappers: if you go to Options > Editor > Use Default skin, you'll never have to manually switch to default skin whenever you want to map.
oh my
Bengon
This one I only learned recently, but if you press Ins will use the boss key and instantly hide it. I'm pretty sure you can also rebind it in options.
[ infL ]

Bengon wrote:

This one I only learned recently, but if you press Ins will use the boss key and instantly hide it. I'm pretty sure you can also rebind it in options.
I found this out by accident when I tried to hit backspace but instead hit ins lol
I thought the game crashed or something :o
Shirayuki
I think everyone knows this but ...

In the Main Menu, if you press d, you can go to osu!direct.

F1: << Prev song played (Also z)
F2: Play (Also x)
F3: Pause / Unpause (Also c)
F4: Stop playing
F5: >> Next song (Also v)
F6: Jump To.. (Select song)
F7: Change Frame Limiter
F8: Bancho?
F9: Online players.
F10: Enable / Disable Mouse buttons
F11: ???
F12: Screenshot!

While you are selecting maps (Solo gameplay)

F1: Toggle mods (all of them are respectively Q W E = Easy No-Fail Half-Time; A S D F G = HR SD DT HD FL; Z X C V = Relax Autopilot Spun-out Auto).

Also, double toggle Double Time = Nightcore; double toggle Sudden Death = Perfect (Auto retry if you didn't get a 300); double toggle Auto = Cinemax (Play the song in auto, but now background dim = 0, no circle will appear. Enjoy the video and the storyboard!)

F2: Random songs (If you click it once, it points you to a random map instantly. If you hold it, the roulette spins longer!). This works even after you put on search (cs=4 ar=9 for e.g)

Talking about search parameters, you can put in cs, ar, od, bpm and even length! (yes, length<120 = beatmaps shorter than 120s).
And of course you can "combo" them: putting "cs=4 ar=9 insane length<120" in the search bar = practice day for meh!

F3: Same as right click on a song (useful for tablet user like me with option of "Enable OS TabletPC support" which merge left and right click on my tablet)
F4: ???
F5: Refresh osu! songs and beatmaps library.
F6: ???
F7: Frame Limiter
F8: Bancho
F9: Online players.
F10: Enable / Disable Mouse buttons.
F11: ???
F12: Sreenshot!

Also +1 to Nathanael about the Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S godlike combo. However I noticed that this only works for sprites (cursor, hitcircle, etc), but if you change something in the skin.ini, it still requires a quick change skins / osu! restart. Still, customizing a skin shall never be the same anymore!
Ayesha Altugle
I have learned this some time ago when changing sound effects together with altering skin.ini

1. make sure "use default skin" is enabled in options
2. go to edit menu and go to any random map and you will be brought to the compose screen where you can see grid lines etc.
3. Try to change something in your skins like hitsounds, skin elements, etc
4. Test any map (like osu!, taiko, ctb, or o!m or you altered something in your skin.ini) to test the changed gameplay elements or go back to the edit menu if you altered something in your interface etc.
5. WIN (you don't need to go on skin selection screen just for the changes in your skins, quit osu! and press ctrl+shift+alt+s
tollox
I didn't know you could change the frame rate limiter to be higher than 60 fps. It's so much smoother and easier to play now (although it did take some practice to adjust)
Granger
Clicking on the version number under the options brings you to the changelog, if you wanted to check it out or some reason.
Vuelo Eluko
i used to not realize niko is actually the best bygone player instead of cookiezi
lunchZA
I only discovered recently that you can scroll down at the score screen and I've been playing for a couple of years >_>
Lanturn
I recently found out that you can highlight bits of text in the quote section when replying to only quote that specific selection. Very useful when replying to mods on a map you did a GD for :P

Try highlighting this and pressing quote when writing a post :3
FencerTJ
The collections tab doesn't exist in standard resolution, but does in widescreen resolution.
Granger

Lanturn wrote:

I recently found out that you can highlight bits of text in the quote section when replying to only quote that specific selection. Very useful when replying to mods on a map you did a GD for :P

Try highlighting this and pressing quote when writing a post :3
Just tried, does not work. Maybe only for the pending maps/wip and help sections?
Lanturn

Granger wrote:

Just tried, does not work. Maybe only for the pending maps/wip and help sections?
No it works fine anywhere.

Try doing it like the screenshot: http://puu.sh/9pO5r.png

You have to already be writing the post before hand. The screen shot will end up like this:

Granger wrote:

pending maps/wip
Ayesha Altugle

Lanturn wrote:

You have to already be writing the post before hand. The screen shot will end up like this:
Nice!
Granger

Lanturn wrote:

You have to already be writing the post before hand
Ah, thats what i was missing. Now thats usefull. Just why wont it work without opening the post thingy first?