forum

How do you even full area?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Greust
Ahoy there.

I'd like to ask those of you who use full area a couple of questions. Particularly about reaching the corners of your screen easily. I have trouble reaching the top left and the bottom right hand sides of my screen. I use a 1280x800 windowed client which is fairly small. I've gone from using a pretty damn small area to full area, but I've noticed that I really struggle reaching as far as I need to. I'm guessing it's to do with being too used to only manoeuvring with my fingers and I'm still trying to do so, regardless of the area being MUCH larger.

I think the problem may also be to do with my grip. I grip the pen how I would when I write like so:
and extend only my fingers to reach the corners of my tablet.

How do you hold your pen and do you also use your whole hand and/or wrist to manoeuvre? Could it be my grip or my playstyle that is limiting my reach when using full area?

I've had to switch to full area due to a problem when trying to set a specific region of the tablet. I used dual screens and when I set an area less than full on my tablet and set the screen area to my main monitor, the boundary isn't actually on the edge of my main monitor, it goes half-way onto the next monitor, which is fairly offset.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated! :D
[ infL ]
I've been using full area tablet and osu is windowed 1366x768 ever since I started tablet last month.
At first it was difficult reaching those corners like you said, but after playing around with different grips and hand positions, I am able to keep my hand in 1 spot and reach all corners of osu. I use my wrist to move the cursor around and fingers for really small movements mainly.
So my tip would be to try different grips to see what works for you, i.e. holding pen up high, or holding it like you are doing right now, etc.
Also I had the issue of lifting the pen too high sometimes and it would stop registering when I did jumps across the screen but now I've gotten used to keeping the hover distance as little as possible. :)
Hitoyomi_old
I use a similar grip and full area and 1680x1050(my monitor's native resolution).

I use everything from my arm to my wrist to my fingers to maneuver the pen depending on the distance I need to travel. Like arm+wrist for large jumps and wrist+finger for smaller movements. Honestly didn't take me a whole lot to get used to, so if you're having trouble either it's just completely not for you or you need to make the movement to full area in smaller increments.
Mathsma
I can use full area/full screen quite nicely with my thumb resting on the top of the pen buttons. With your grip you may have to use a smaller area/resolution. Try to watch videos of people who use full area like WubWoofWolf, Kynan, jesus1412, and some others if you look into it, have videos on youtube/twitch.
nrl
I generally use a combination of elbow, wrist, and finger movement to cover the whole area, and I have a similarly restrictive grip.
hehe
Hold your pen further up to reach the corners easily.
Ichi
Maybe you should star gripping abit higher, it would be easier to control the corners of the tablet. Alternatively you could just reduce the area a little and then in terms of a month each time you could start making it slightly bigger until you get to full area. Also make sure you have "force proportions" setting ON in the tablet config.
EcksDee
I used to play nearly full area

Was pretty fun lol. Run starts at 1:40

edit: holy shit that was august of last year lol
Topic Starter
Greust

EcksDee wrote:

I used to play nearly full area

Was pretty fun lol. Run starts at 1:40

edit: holy shit that was august of last year lol
That's exactly what I'm currently like LOL!

Thank you for all of the tips guys! :-)
ballplay
I used to play with a fairly small area. I increased it a little bit every few days to reach full area, instead of jumping from that tiny area to full area. took me about 3 weeks to a month. my resolution is 1600x900 or something similar to that cuz i forgot.
B1rd
apparently full area is the best, but rrtyui doesn't even use full area?
ballplay

B1rd wrote:

actually he does
B1rd

SloppySeal wrote:

B1rd wrote:

actually he does
not according to his profile
ballplay
Mathsma

B1rd wrote:

not according to his profile
Unless you meant full area + full screen, he uses full area.
B1rd

SloppySeal wrote:

There's a box inside the tablet, it doesn't extend to the corners. Unless that's the only active area of the tablet?

regardless, he plays windowed, which is essentially the same as playing fullscreen with portioned area.
Mathsma

B1rd wrote:

SloppySeal wrote:

There's a box inside the tablet, it doesn't extend to the corners. Unless that's the only active area of the tablet?

regardless, he plays windowed, which is essentially the same as playing fullscreen with portioned area.
Yes, that is the full area of the tablet. Older models of Wacom tablets have more extra space. As for everyone recommending full area, they do so because most people play windowed and full area compliments that well.
Cheese
B1rd

Mathsma wrote:

B1rd wrote:

Yes, that is the full area of the tablet. Older models of Wacom tablets have more extra space. As for everyone recommending full area, they do so because most people play windowed and full area compliments that well.
Well that clears it up then, but I think calling full area+windowed is misconceiving, since really it is portioned, and the size you have osu! windowed to creates a variable.

Though I'm not sure why apparently windowed is the standard, it just seems less immersive.
ballplay

B1rd wrote:

SloppySeal wrote:

ik arguments over, but full areas of tablets dont literally take up the whole tablet. obviously you wouldn't know
B1rd

SloppySeal wrote:

B1rd wrote:

ik arguments over, but full areas of tablets dont literally take up the whole tablet. obviously you wouldn't know
well mine does I think, except of course for the black borders.
show more