forum

The Road to Cookiezi-Tier

posted
Total Posts
show more
Noobsicle
i used a tablet and my aim/speed/accuracy/swag became 1000000 times worse xD
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
Start learning DT as fast as possible. This is important. Don't focus on accuracy. Speed is the only thing that matters. Look at dragonhuman, his aim+speed carries him. Get accustomed to AR10. AR10.3 will be necessary to even reach top50. Don't focus on FCs or pp at your level, instead play maps that are pushing your limits. Your rank is way too low for pp to matter anyway. To have a reasonable chance of ever reaching top 50 in a reasonable amount of time I'd say you need to be FCing extras (hard, usually non DT-able insanes) within 4-6 months of starting playing.

If you can keep up what you're doing now for 1-1.5 years I'm pretty confident you could reach top 50. About Cookiezi -tier, as in as good as him.. That might be a long shot.
Layne_old_1
^ lol
Vuelo Eluko

thedamntrain wrote:

you need to be FCing extras (hard, usually non DT-able insanes) within 4-6 months of starting playing.
ok
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

thedamntrain wrote:

Start learning DT as fast as possible. This is important. Don't focus on accuracy. Speed is the only thing that matters.
Gonna have to disagree with everything there buddy.... :? :? :?

Also, you can't "learn" DT, it's just the song that's playing faster....there's nothing really to learn besides knowing it plays 1.5x speed.

Coincidentally though, today's S-rank (not FC) is a DT run
Oberyn_old

Woobowiz wrote:

thedamntrain wrote:

Start learning DT as fast as possible. This is important. Don't focus on accuracy. Speed is the only thing that matters.

Also, you can't "learn" DT, it's just the song that's playing faster....there's nothing really to learn besides knowing it plays 1.5x speed.

Coincidentally though, today's S-rank (not FC) is a DT run
How about 10.3 AR
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

Oberyn wrote:

How about 10.3 AR
Well I've gotten accustomed to AR 10, right now I can only anticipate AR 10.3 and 11 rather than read them like AR 9, 9.6, and 10.
x_Co0ki420ezi_x

Woobowiz wrote:

Reading AR9.6/10.3 implies you actually read the circles, not just react to them. As for the part about speed, of course you can disagree, but once you hit your wall it'll be the only thing keeping you. You can't have good acc if you can't keep up with the map. Strange I should have to explain this even to a ~150 rank player : ) )
GoldenWolf

Woobowiz wrote:

thedamntrain wrote:

wow I suddenly have high hopes in you

go go~
Rawn
Did someone just say 'Don't focus on accuracy'?? How the hell people want to become good at rhythm if they don't focus on accuracy?
Weed

thedamntrain wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

Reading AR9.6/10.3 implies you actually read the circles, not just react to them. As for the part about speed, of course you can disagree, but once you hit your wall it'll be the only thing keeping you. You can't have good acc if you can't keep up with the map. Strange I should have to explain this even to a ~150 rank player : ) )
wtf are you even saying
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

bewaredrev wrote:

wtf are you even saying
It's better to just ignore it.... I'm not sure what they are trying to argue and why they are trying to boast (keyword "trying").

I excepted some helpful advice or insight....I seem to be only getting incoherent statements from it. But that's bound to happen after so many posts ^^
TheVileOne
I believe he is saying that if you can't follow the objects with high AR, you wont be accurate.

I don't think this makes a lot of sense. Where your cursor is to the objects is not relevant to when you need to hit the object. Movement is the least of your worries if you can't accurately stream to the beat. You can focus on memorizing the movement after you have the map's rhythm down.
Pettanko

Rawn wrote:

Did someone just say 'Don't focus on accuracy'?? How the hell people want to become good at rhythm if they don't focus on accuracy?
osu! should be renamed to "ADHD/RSI simulator 2014"
nrl

thedamntrain wrote:

Don't focus on accuracy.
Someone doesn't understand how ppv2 works.

Woobowiz wrote:

DTs play in a very different style than non-DT plays of equivalent difficulty, and they entail different ARs. You absolutely do need to "learn" DT in the same sense that you have to "learn" 0108 maps or Skystar maps or HR. It's a different style of play with different emphasized patterns and a different cadence.

TheVileOne wrote:

I don't think this makes a lot of sense.
I don't think it's what he's saying, but I do think it makes a lot of sense, just maybe not the way you're thinking of it. Reading higher ARs has as much to do with accuracy as it does aim.
x_Co0ki420ezi_x

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

thedamntrain wrote:

Don't focus on accuracy.
Someone doesn't understand how ppv2 works.
Perhaps I should have expressed it this way;

Focusing on speed early on is much more beneficial to you in the long run compared to accuracy, because it enables you to play maps that are inherently more difficult while still remaining in your comfort zone, ie. the range of difficulty that you can achieve good accuracies at. Focusing on accuracy and getting near SS scores will give you a faster short-term rank increase, but it's better to just push your limits.
TheVileOne
It will help you develop bad habits you mean. It's not good to FC a map but have 95% accuracy (or worse). Go home if you can't get more than 97% accuracy on a map. It's better to grind consistency than speed. Speed will come from higher consistency and understanding of rhythm.
Omgforz

thedamntrain wrote:

Perhaps I should have expressed it this way;

Focusing on speed early on is much more beneficial to you in the long run compared to accuracy, because it enables you to play maps that are inherently more difficult while still remaining in your comfort zone, ie. the range of difficulty that you can achieve good accuracies at. Focusing on accuracy and getting near SS scores will give you a faster short-term rank increase, but it's better to just push your limits.

Yes, and no.
Only pushing your limits is going to take a toll on your consistency. You definitely need to push your limits, however getting consistent at your current limit is important too.

A healthy mix of both is important.
Layne_old_1

thedamntrain wrote:

Honestly, if anyone can take advice from you, you'd be the last person to listen to.

TC, I say you just focus on aim for the most part, then accuracy, then speed. Speed, in my opinion, is easy to develop once you start pushing physical limits but accuracy comes a long way if you have not developed rhythm sense (but I'm assuming you already have).
Play maps that enforce reading over aim, as in, maps that have patterns that combo break a lot of other people on purpose. Be able to grasp those patterns and whatnot etc.etc.etc.

For the most part, focus on that consistency of FCing and accing songs slightly above your level, where it will carry you higher in the long run.
nrl

thedamntrain wrote:

You can train both at the same time, and you should be training both at the same time. Neither is any more long or short term than the other, but it's far more damaging to you as a player to have lots of speed and no accuracy than lots of accuracy and no speed, because accuracy is the direct result of good technique and reading skills. Lots of speed and no accuracy likely means you lack muscle control.
jasian
I think those emphasizing aim/accuracy > speed are hitting the nail on the head. Most people are good at spamming fast songs but lack the accuracy to gain higher PP and play jumpier maps. Those same people cannot read very well either and they mainly rely on speed to get them through songs. If you wanna be a top player I think aim definitely needs to be prioritized over speed. Muscle memory and reading is very important; speed comes naturally when you play more anyways.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

litejason wrote:

I think those emphasizing aim/accuracy > speed are hitting the nail on the head. Most people are good at spamming fast songs but lack the accuracy to gain higher PP and play jumpier maps. Those same people cannot read very well either and they mainly rely on speed to get them through songs. If you wanna be a top player I think aim definitely needs to be prioritized over speed. Muscle memory and reading is very important; speed comes naturally when you play more anyways.
You know I'm all about those jump maps ;D

Also, FC of the day (bad accuracy :( )
XGeneral2000
I always see people talk about speed like it's its own skill you can train separately from aim, consistency, and accuracy. Am I the only person who thinks this isn't true? I've always seen speed as a "summary stat" of the other skills. Speed is simply the limit at which you still have solid aim, consistency, and accuracy. If you can't hit squares or stream at 160 BPM, you can't do it at 220 BPM. You might think you can because you occasionally hit patterns in FD or Airman, but more often than not, it ends up being uncontrolled flailing that does just that - occasionally hits patterns. Always learn to do things slowly before you learn to do it quickly. Once you have control, the speed will come. At least, that's what I learned playing piano, and it worked for me.

The only aspects of speed that are independent of control is physical capability (actually being able to move your fingers and hit z/x quickly enough) and endurance, and that comes with practice and time. As I remember Aqo saying in a thread many moons ago, you can only stream a BPM if you can do it indefinitely - hitting short bursts in maps like NNRT doesn't demonstrate proficiency in any way (I can do that no sweat, but I can barely pass Ascension to Heaven, which means I can't stream 200 BPM).

I guess AR is an entirely different debate altogether, but learning AR 10.3+ is irrelevant if you can't play AR9 songs with DT anyway (just because you can read it doesn't mean you can play it). Don't be that beginning guitarist who tries to play Van Halen songs 2 weeks after learning scales.
meteor22

XGeneral2000 wrote:

As I remember Aqo saying in a thread many moons ago, you can only stream a BPM if you can do it indefinitely - hitting short bursts in maps like NNRT doesn't demonstrate proficiency in any way (I can do that no sweat, but I can barely pass Ascension to Heaven, which means I can't stream 200 BPM).
Except that most maps will only require short burst of streams, especially DT's. Nobody can stream 280 bpm indefinitely yet some players are able to FC maps of that bpm with very good accuracy. At this point you can say they stream 280 bpm.

I agree more or less with the rest.
nrl

litejason wrote:

and play jumpier maps
This is actually a really key point for accuracy that I forgot to mention; accuracy is the glue that holds your hands together. Unless you're a god at snapping, you need at least a modicum of accuracy to be able to do anything remotely jumpy, and great accuracy can allow a player with sub par aim to hit patterns a less accurate player would have missed.
Blueprint
That feeling when you hover your mouse over a circle (jump) and you don't actually click
x_Co0ki420ezi_x

XGeneral2000 wrote:

I always see people talk about speed like it's its own skill you can train separately from aim, consistency, and accuracy. Am I the only person who thinks this isn't true? I've always seen speed as a "summary stat" of the other skills
This is pretty much what I've been trying to explain, but people here seem to assume speed is only the ratio of how fast you can move your fingers up and down. To me it's control and stamina. Aim, or good mouse/pen control lets you snap more comfortably, thus increasing consistency, thus leading to better accuracies. Unless you're playing DT or HR, most modern maps are rather simple to read, and it should be no problem reaching +98% accuracies on the typical OD7/OD8 settings.
Vuelo Eluko

thedamntrain wrote:

XGeneral2000 wrote:

I always see people talk about speed like it's its own skill you can train separately from aim, consistency, and accuracy. Am I the only person who thinks this isn't true? I've always seen speed as a "summary stat" of the other skills
This is pretty much what I've been trying to explain, but people here seem to assume speed is only the ratio of how fast you can move your fingers up and down. To me it's control and stamina. Aim, or good mouse/pen control lets you snap more comfortably, thus increasing consistency, thus leading to better accuracies. Unless you're playing DT or HR, most modern maps are rather simple to read, and it should be no problem reaching +98% accuracies on the typical OD7/OD8 settings.
meh hr makes things easier to read
just harder to aim and be accurate
Topic Starter
Woobowiz
Small update : I got the flu. It felt like a minor cold a few days ago (2 days ago) but my carelessness probably made it worse.

No playing for a while.... :cry: :cry:
Otsutsuki_old

usa wrote:

no one can become cokezi.
even if you play 1-6 hours daily for 4-5 years, you can't become cokezi.
just take it easy because once you're here, you're here forever anyways.
almost every single player which would play 5 years and at least 3 hours a day will be twice as good as him.
*unless you are disabled
nrl

Otsutsuki wrote:

almost every single player which would play 5 years and at least 3 hours a day will be twice as good as him.
*unless you are disabled
Doubtful. He certainly had lots of time to train, but the fact that he was able to accomplish what he did in such a relatively short amount of time and plays is a testament to his natural talent, and even today's top players are still just licking at his heels.
GoldenWolf

Otsutsuki wrote:

*unless you are disabled
you have no idea what you're talking about
Vuelo Eluko

GoldenWolf wrote:

Otsutsuki wrote:

*unless you are disabled
you have no idea what you're talking about
us low ranked shitters kno a think or 2

and i agree i wuld alredy be at least as gud as cookez if i tried xd
xasuma
I like how this thread has 24 pages :lol:
Maskless
I'm interested to see how far you get, I'll be keeping track.
Otsutsuki_old

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Otsutsuki wrote:

*unless you are disabled
Doubtful. He certainly had lots of time to train, but the fact that he was able to accomplish what he did in such a relatively short amount of time and plays is a testament to his natural talent, and even today's top players are still just licking at his heels.
that was besides the point. 5500~ hours are enough to master almost anything. I see alot of butthurt fanboys here, nobody's born with talent to hit circles better* than others, its just dedication and a hard work.
GoldenWolf

Otsutsuki wrote:

that was besides the point. 5500~ hours are enough to master almost anything. I see alot of butthurt fanboys here, nobody's born with talent to play a video game better than others, its just dedication and a hard work.
And how much do you think cookiezi has played? He had over 6k playcounts per month for 3 years straight, that's not even counting his spun-out/offline plays
Saying things like that just shows you have no idea what you're talking about
iderekmc

Woobowiz wrote:

Small update : I got the flu. It felt like a minor cold a few days ago (2 days ago) but my carelessness probably made it worse.

wow, thats an injury :D
Ayesha Altugle

Woobowiz wrote:

hope you get well soon.

and I hope that your skill won't get decreased just because of that :(. Your skills are good enough for a < Rank 10k player.
Topic Starter
Woobowiz

vahn10 wrote:

Woobowiz wrote:

hope you get well soon.

and I hope that your skill won't get decreased just because of that :(. Your skills are good enough for a < Rank 10k player.
I sure hope my skill doesn't decrease.

Today I hopped myself up on a ton of meds (not too much of course) and took it easy and re-FC'd some old maps for higher accuracy. I kept going until the meds wore off, now I REALLY feel like I'm dying. :o :o :o

But I'm 2112 pp now, so it was worth :) :)
show more