forum

Poll 3: Sharing your bandwidth

posted
Total Posts

How do you feel about helping distribute maps you have downloaded?

I would share bandwidth only while osu! is open and active.
39.04%
I would be happy to share even while not playing osu! (idle at menu or systray icon).
54.82%
I am strongly against sharing my bandwidth.
6.14%
Total votes: 228
Polling ended
show more
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Randy96
Perhaps there could be different buttons for different mirrors?

Like [Download] [Download from Mirrors]
[Download] will just be what we have now, and if [Download from Mirrors] is selected, a list will be brought up and the user could choose the preferred mirror.
anonymous_old

Randy96 wrote:

[Download] will just be what we have now, and if [Download from Mirrors] is selected, a list will be brought up and the user could choose the preferred mirror.
Only power users would use this, I'd imagine, and it'd confuse normal users. The number of power users is too small for a gain, IMO.
Jeffro

strager wrote:

Randy96 wrote:

Only power users would use this, I'd imagine, and it'd confuse normal users. The number of power users is too small for a gain, IMO.
Set mirror as default download and add a report this link is broken and if that happens let people download it from the official server.
rust45
I just got into the P2P business, and I think this would be a great idea. I voted for option 1 cause I wasn't quite sure how it worked but now I want to vote for option 2.
alcoatjez
Option 2 here, I will share as much as I can.
Rankings would be nice, it will probably motivate me to leave my PC on more often.
Atmey
I would like to share my bandwidth, but my damn ISP limits uploading to 1/8 of downloading. As long as I can control the upload speed I wouldn't mind. which will be around 10kbs.
Topic Starter
peppy
Well it is good to see most of the response is positive hear.

From what I can see, not many are against the concept, but there definitely needs to be:
*A user-set maximum speed limit.
*The option to disable altogether (with the possibility of a slight speed limitation in heavy load situations).
*A statistic to show how much you are uploading, and rankings.

Touching on the mirror suggestion: I already have a system setup to manage mirrors, which involves two-way communication with the main server to ensure downloads are secure and throttled, as well as being automatically distributed. I previously made a call asking people who are willing to mirror maps, but the response was very small so find the p2p option a much more stable and future-proof path to take.

That said, considering I am almost exceeding my current bandwidth allowance (and can't afford to increase it further for the time being) I am happy to have offers for mirroring - just make sure you can spare at least 500gb of traffic and are hosting your mirror on non-shared hosting (unless you are sharing privately with friends). This means no godaddy/dreamhost/whatnot.
Skyripper

peppy wrote:

*The option to disable altogether (with the possibility of a slight speed limitation in heavy load situations).
I change my answer to supporting this idea fully in this case.
Jeffro

peppy wrote:

Well it is good to see most of the response is positive hear.

From what I can see, not many are against the concept, but there definitely needs to be:
*A statistic to show how much you are uploading, and rankings.

Touching on the mirror suggestion: I already have a system setup to manage mirrors, which involves two-way communication with the main server to ensure downloads are secure and throttled, as well as being automatically distributed. I previously made a call asking people who are willing to mirror maps, but the response was very small so find the p2p option a much more stable and future-proof path to take.

That said, considering I am almost exceeding my current bandwidth allowance (and can't afford to increase it further for the time being) I am happy to have offers for mirroring - just make sure you can spare at least 500gb of traffic and are hosting your mirror on non-shared hosting (unless you are sharing privately with friends). This means no godaddy/dreamhost/whatnot.
Too bad I can't offer you one at the moment. Btw, what do you currently use for hosting the beatmaps? I'm curious to the stats. Also to the people with seedboxes here just install apache and help peppy out there :D
Topic Starter
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Jeffro

peppy wrote:

Tipping over 14tb/month at the moment...
Wow thats alot. We really should get a server which can run from a bandwidthless environment.
awp
Yeah I don't think I can limit my distribution to a fixed value, so if I mirror, same old song and dance there. Over the limit, friends angry, server down
yaya
if i can help others , i'll do it .
xlcwzx
We know that quite a number of people just delete the skins and videos in a map, so that they won't be disturbed and can get better scores. Such kind of people are mostly those good at this game, at the same time those who have more maps, so I think they will be the main point in this P2P system.
But as I've pointed out, if they've cut most of the skins and videos, there's only the .osu file remained to be uploaded.
So I suppose it's time that something should be done to encourage them to keep the skins and videos, maybe a mod called "no skin", just like the "no video".
----------------
Please forgive my poor English.
Jeffro

xlcwzx wrote:

We know that quite a number of people just delete the skins and videos in a map, so that they won't be disturbed and can get better scores. Such kind of people are mostly those good at this game, at the same time those who have more maps, so I think they will be the main point in this P2P system.
But as I've pointed out, if they've cut most of the skins and videos, there's only the .osu file remained to be uploaded.
So I suppose it's time that something should be done to encourage them to keep the skins and videos, maybe a mod called "no skin", just like the "no video".
----------------
Please forgive my poor English.
Good Idea, a no skin option would certainly help. Or either just make it so ppl can't get a score on incomplete maps.
Intermezzo

xlcwzx wrote:

That won't be a problem: p2p will be released concurrently with osz2 (which doesn't allow the deletion of skins / custom hitsounds). There also won't be any no-skin version, however there will still be a no-video version available to download for low-bandwidth users.
Jeffro

Intermezzo wrote:

xlcwzx wrote:

That won't be a problem: p2p will be released concurrently with osz2 (which doesn't allow the deletion of skins / custom hitsounds). There also won't be any no-skin version, however there will still be a no-video version available to download for low-bandwidth users.
Nice, this would be good :D
tudanmeng
Maybe BT is a good way to solve this problem?
anonymous_old

tudanmeng wrote:

nardii
strager, why don't you stop with the bullshit and actually seriously reply to something for once. Like this:

tudanmeng wrote:

No (well yes kinda but no).
Curisu
object 2 :I would be happy to share even while not playing osu! (idle at menu or systray icon).
We should share our bandwidth
I'd love to
Jeffro
I'm still wondering, how would this work for pending maps?
awp
could share just the audio file + any unchanged elements, and get the .osu files directly from the osu! server (as is now)
finalprodigy
object 2

I'm happy to share when osu! is running.
Macworld
object 2 :)
sanqian_old
how do i vote?
i want to choose 2
anonymous_old

sanqian wrote:

how do i vote?
i want to choose 2
Voting expired.
cgy343528
object 2 ~ :D
Hanyuu
i dont know is this legal?

but i would also support this when osu is started
zagrom_old
i dont know is this legal?
I assume you say this because the feature in question is like torrenting, Yes?
Torrents ARE NOT illegal, its the content on them that is. In this case, yes it
would be legal.

I would be fine sharing bandwidth, I would go as far as to say I would share some
off my own website if such a thing could be managed, (Tho limiting that ammout
would be important) We never come anywhere close to what I pay for XD
Might as well try and get the moneys worth, ya?
Hanyuu
but the content of this is copyrighted music?
Topic Starter
peppy

Hanyuu wrote:

Whilt there may be some copyrighted content on osu!, I don't condone of this and it will be removed should there be complaints from copyright holders. Besides, I'm pretty sure some of the maps you have uploaded are using unlicensed music, so you are adding to the problem if anything.
zagrom_old

Hanyuu wrote:

Good point, very observant. (brings me to something I have been curious about myself)
Well then the question isn't if using a torrent like system is illegal, its weather
or not Osu! itself is already breaking laws for distributing it music the way it
does as it is now.

I personally have wondered how this was ok, I mean enough people support
and play Osu! I mean its not like a hidden secret that you get the songs mp3
with every download. But hell, you can go to youtube and use audacity to
get a song, that is if not torrenting the entire album already. (I know I do)

so to be nonchalant about it, who cares?
Osu! is a great game ether way.

I honestly can answer your question much better, yes, the music is copyrighted,
but, no offense with this, You are a VERY active Osu! member, this hasn't bothered
you before obviously.

EDIT: Well darn, Peppy beat me to the post XD
complaints from copyright holders
A very valid point I forgot to mention, its up to the coppyright holders to prevent it,
all they gota do is complain and the problem is generally solved.
Hanyuu
oh yeah i have not even thought of this lol.
i am all for this idea now
needle666_old
YES
I would be happy to share even while not playing osu!
loading127
MiKuNa
w
Topic Starter
peppy
Pikachu, I choose YOU.
awp
Pikachu is dead. You haven't fed it in two months.
show more