forum

Streaming Tips?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Greust
Hi Community,

This is kind of a last resort, I'm trying to nit-pick where my problems are in terms of streaming. I've been playing a few months now and I'm having a lot of trouble streaming anything for more than 8 notes at any bpm. 150 seems to be just about do-able for me, but I'm extremely slow and extremely choppy. I lock up on streams that are even remotely longer than 5 notes. I've been practicing stream compilation maps each night for around 2 weeks now and I'm really not seeing any improvement. I hate to be one of those guys asking 'zomg how i improve?' but I feel like there's something physically stopping me from being consistent.

How do I stop locking up? By this I mean hitting 4-6 notes then my hand completely freezes and I miss a few notes.
Being far too slow, even at 160ish BPM.

I seem to be improving at every area apart from streaming. I've been using O-Rings on my keys so I don't have to press as far down, they've been helping me stop bottoming out when I remove them, I just can't seem to stop locking up when I do longer streams.

Regards,
Ven.
Arcanine
just play songs and your fingers will get faster naturally i guess
jesse1412
Down to actually streaming. I like to split streams into two categories, long and fast. A long stream for me is anywhere from 20 to 200 notes while a fast stream is any stream which you would consider hard to click from the start of the stream to the end. It helps to be able to recognize the two streams as it will allow you to approach them in different ways (I certainly do this).

Fast streams are generally the area you should practice to improve your general streaming ability, you can't stream for a long time if you can't stream for a short time. Personally I find that to clear streams of this speed I unconsciously tense my arm whilst lifting my fingers only as far as they need to go. To achieve speed you must practice speeds that are above your comfort level (but not to the point where you miss every single note), I would recommend using the doubletime mod to improve your streams.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, longer, slower streams require a very different approach for me; rather than tensing heavily you should be relaxing your hand to get comfortable with the speed of the map, if you aren't relaxed you will burn out a lot faster.

Some other things which I believe has helped my streaming ability is simply raising my pinky/ring finger whilst I'm streaming. This may just be my preference but I have done it since the beginning and it's worked out fine for me. One other thing which aided my streaming stamina is the hand rest which came with my keyboard. At first the rest felt like a hindrance but after adjusting to it my stamina did improve a noticeable amount in a rather short period of time.

Basically: practice.

Here are a few maps to practice streaming. WARNING: some of these maps are incredibly hard and not for starting players.

List of short stream beatmaps with additional information.

List of long steam beatmaps with additional information.

07th Expansion - Eiji Kuinbii [Collapse]
DJ Swan - Beautiful Angel [Another]
SHIKI - Pure Ruby [Another]
KIEN - La Grand Bleu [SHD]
Niko - Night of Fire [Insane]
Chata - Yuujou Pop [Ai]
xi - FREEDOM DiVE [Another]
kors k - Wuv U [dksslqj Style]
dj TAKA - AA [Another]
Toshiyuki O'mori - Justice [Divine]
dj TAKA with NAOKI - Kakumei [Another]
SHK - Identity Part 4 [Another]
Ryu* - Rondo Alla Turca (Ryu* Remix) [Challenging]
Makou - Fermion [Maximum]
Memme - Extreme Fantasy [Hard]
Mizuki Nana - Massive Wonders [Beyond]
Kitsune^2 - Rainbow Tylenol [lol201]
SHK - Weep Irish [Another]
Tatsh feat. Kanako Hoshino - Gekkou [Another]
07th Expansion - lixAxil [Another]
Last Note. - Setsuna Trip (Short Ver.) [Chew 'N Sane]
ChomuP - Gate of Steiner [Insane]
07th Expansion - rog-unlimitation [AngelHoney]
07th Expansion - Rougoku [Insane]
IOSYS - Kitto Mou Hatarakanai [Lunatic]
Camille Saint-saens & FIRST AID - D2 [Maximum]
SYNC.ART'S - Garasu no Kairou [Nightmare]
Comp - Kyoai [Insane]
xi - Parousia [Another]
Rche - Todestrieb [Another]
PokeRemixStudio - Primal Dialga Remix [Vs. Primal Dialga]
ZUN & Ryu* - Second Darkside [Lunatic]
Shounen Radio - neu [Platinum]
Memme - Extreme Fantasy [Insane]
Amane - Midsummer Festival [Lunatteke]
Mofu kun
Streaming tips with shaggon ( long intro )
Topic Starter
Greust
Some other things which I believe has helped my streaming ability is simply raising my pinky/ring finger whilst I'm streaming. This may just be my preference but I have done it since the beginning and it's worked out fine for me. One other thing which aided my streaming stamina is the hand rest which came with my keyboard. At first the rest felt like a hindrance but after adjusting to it my stamina did improve a noticeable amount in a rather short period of time.
Just tried my wrist rest.. Oh my god. A little bit of getting used to this and it'll be absolutely perfect. I can already feel the difference. O_O I'd never touched it, I think it's because I put way too much pressure on my wrist on the edge of my desk when I get tensed up. Oh man, I've gone from not coming close to hitting fast enough for 160BPM to going way too fast, I can control my fingers and go at the tempo now, definitely need to get used to using this thing, the stamina it gives me is tenfold, my god. Thank you for that *-* Never thought about trying it.