forum

Skinning tutorial (+ skinning support)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Eizan Arizawa

cageslammer wrote:

i recently downloaded a skin and changed it to suit my liking. however the hit circles are a little too transparent and blend in with some backgrounds making some songs unplayable with the skin. how would i go about making them a little darker?
why not try using "Dim background"?
Rio-

Eizan Arizawa wrote:

cageslammer wrote:

i recently downloaded a skin and changed it to suit my liking. however the hit circles are a little too transparent and blend in with some backgrounds making some songs unplayable with the skin. how would i go about making them a little darker?
why not try using "Dim background"?
or using another hitcircle.png < not really a choice, but I always do this

Shikeu wrote:

Sorry if this question has been answered already, but are the spinner-background and spinner-metre elements off from each other now?
Didn't seem to be off before, or is it just me?
It's separated in the first place... or screenshot perhaps?
cageslammer
Tried dimming. kinda helps on bright maps and doesn't help the darker ones, and i can't find any sort of hitcircle.PNG =(
Shikeu

satriobp wrote:

Shikeu wrote:

Sorry if this question has been answered already, but are the spinner-background and spinner-metre elements off from each other now?
Didn't seem to be off before, or is it just me?
It's separated in the first place... or screenshot perhaps?

The spinner-background is higher than the spinner-metre
Topic Starter
MLGnom
It's because original spinner from template have weird size. 1023px x 692px
Just make it 1024x768 and it should be good. ;)
Shikeu

MLGnom wrote:

It's because original spinner from template have weird size. 1023px x 692px
Just make it 1024x768 and it should be good. ;)
They're already 1024x768
They used to work, but after a recent update it seemed to have changed.
_sparky_
If I download old skin template I can use it on osu? :<

I really like how the old skin looks like :'3
Nathanael
Yes, you can use it. ;)
Just place them on your skins folder.
_sparky_

Nathanael wrote:

Yes, you can use it. ;)
Just place them on your skins folder.
Oh ok ^^

I'm not at a computer atm to find out so I ask :3
GoJang
Hello, I just tried to make my own scorebar but there's something wrong with the Scorebar-colour. As you can see it's not placed right can anybody tell what I did wrong ?
TouchFluffyTail

GoJang wrote:

Hello, I just tried to make my own scorebar but there's something wrong with the Scorebar-colour. As you can see it's not placed right can anybody tell what I did wrong ?
You're going to have to move it around on the canvas untill you get them to line up. The background and the fill don't line up the same way which leads to things like this.
Ayesha Altugle
the anchor points of the scorebar-bg to scorebar-colour is

16 px moved down from the top
5 px move to the right from the left, iirc
GoJang
Thanks but it doesn't seem to work for me. Is there anyone I can send the scorebar to and maybe check it out or something ?

EDIT: Thanks alot to vahn10 for helping me out for fixing the scorebar. :P
sennank
excuse me .... i dont understand with http://puu.sh/1RM0C step number 4 .... after i remove i dont understand i must do what D:
Ayesha Altugle

GoJang wrote:

Thanks but it doesn't seem to work for me. Is there anyone I can send the scorebar to and maybe check it out or something ?
I'll try

maybe you are using HD so it won't work
Topic Starter
MLGnom

sennank wrote:

excuse me .... i dont understand with http://puu.sh/1RM0C step number 4 .... after i remove i dont understand i must do what D:
Generally step 4. is optional because sometimes you won't have white corners. ^^;

But if some of them still exist, use free select tool for easier selection. Using ctrl + F repeats last used filter (so just repeat step 3 when selected).

GoJang wrote:

Just post it here and someone will take care of it. ;)
Ayesha Altugle
Takink care of that one since that particularly sent the file via pm

Done sending to PM
Dikoy_old
How i can make slider without end circle like this?

Mathsma
I'm just going to guess and say it has to do with hitcircleoverlay animation, i.e hitcircleoverlay-0/hitcircleoverlay-1. I could be wrong though, I haven't owned any skins with that nor have I actually tested it.
Ayesha Altugle
tip: make the default numbers like hitcircle and set the hitcircleovelap (in the skin.ini the same as the width of that paticular element) but you cannot put numbers on it instead
Dikoy_old
domo
Haskorion
This is kinda a shameless selfpromotion but also involves some of the questions here.

t/186787

I made a topic based on some answers I found here and myself about some skin element behaviours during gamelplay and more.
It has notes about HD-elements, beatmap skins, some basic animation notes, a list about skinnable elements and skin.ini lines, a section about the mania key files and more. It is stickied and since it doesn't get any responses I don't know if this is all there is or I left out obvious stuff.

My goal was to list some of the answers to have a quick overview about eventual problems and there solves.
It mostly has standard gameplay covered but other gamemodes are in need of facts.
Some points may overlap with the OP from here but mine aren't really as detailed as here.
I hope by posting here to get my topic a bit more alive since it is kinda related to this topic.

Thanks for reading this and eventually my topic.
Rinku
I have a question about followpoints. My aim is to make them as useful as possible while not guessing which is the best.

I don't understand what each one does in the animation. In most skins I use, the creators have 8-10 files with only 2 of them being visible (sometimes 3). I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) that each individual file is important and having the few visible files being different numbers changes how they act while playing.

I am wondering what is the earliest frame seen and if all you have to do to extend it is by adding another frame in the next number. I basically want my followpoint to extend as far as possible (not in terms of total length as I don't wan't it to be lagging behind after I click a note, but rather the farthest ahead) to the next note and then decide when I want it to fade by testing. However I would assume it starts on followpoint-0 and am confused as to why most skins start at followpoint-2, unless I am not understanding how followpoints come to be in the first place.
Mathsma

-Rinku- wrote:

I have a question about followpoints. My aim is to make them as useful as possible while not guessing which is the best.

I don't understand what each one does in the animation. In most skins I use, the creators have 8-10 files with only 2 of them being visible (sometimes 3). I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) that each individual file is important and having the few visible files being different numbers changes how they act while playing.

I am wondering what is the earliest frame seen and if all you have to do to extend it is by adding another frame in the next number. I basically want my followpoint to extend as far as possible (not in terms of total length as I don't wan't it to be lagging behind after I click a note, but rather the farthest ahead) to the next note and then decide when I want it to fade by testing. However I would assume it starts on followpoint-0 and am confused as to why most skins start at followpoint-2, unless I am not understanding how followpoints come to be in the first place.
Some people use blank followpoint-0/1/2 etc.. to make the follow points appear later than they normally would (they appear on the screen, but they are blank images so you can't see them), then they use blank ending follow points to make them disappear earlier. You could try making the first 2 follow points an actual follow point and then the last one a blank follow point for a total of 3 images. This may make it extend as far ahead into the song as possible while making it disappear quickly after you've already hit that note.
Rinku

Mathsma wrote:

-Rinku- wrote:

Some people use blank followpoint-0/1/2 etc.. to make the follow points appear later than they normally would (they appear on the screen, but they are blank images so you can't see them), then they use blank ending follow points to make them disappear earlier. You could try making the first 2 follow points an actual follow point and then the last one a blank follow point for a total of 3 images. This may make it extend as far ahead into the song as possible while making it disappear quickly after you've already hit that note.
Cool that answered most of my questions. Although the actual animation is still confusing. I tested a couple of combinations to find that I really like 1 out of 4 frames and 2 out of 8 frames being visible. However is there a difference between the two? Also another thing thing I noticed is the animation seems to start on the 1 frame instead of the zero frame. This was fine when I was using 1/4 but then when I tried 2/8, It only worked when I put them on the 2nd and 3rd frame. If I used the 1st and 2nd frames, it wouldn't be connected and would make two wierdly placed lines. This last part is whats really confusing me. I suppose what I have now is good and works but I kinda just want to know the actual meaning to why it works that way so I can think about all the possibilities.
Niervaco
Just a question, how many frames are supported for pipidons? I dislike the default 5.
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Niervaco wrote:

Just a question, how many frames are supported for pipidons? I dislike the default 5.
Do as much as you like.
Niervaco

MLGnom wrote:

Niervaco wrote:

Do as much as you like.
I should've worded that differently.

(reword) Is there a way to get frames to get super smooth pipidons like in this taiko vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yywWFH47vVw
jTaeja
Does anybody have this Sliderfollowcircle ? Or could make a similar one ?
dws123

Niervaco wrote:

(reword) Is there a way to get frames to get super smooth pipidons like in this taiko vid?

You should be able to if you actually made frame by frame of the animation like an actual animation instead of just "moving pictures"
CMIIW
sennank

MLGnom wrote:

Generally step 4. is optional because sometimes you won't have white corners. ^^;

But if some of them still exist, use free select tool for easier selection. Using ctrl + F repeats last used filter (so just repeat step 3 when selected).
Thanks for help me (:
Topic Starter
MLGnom

Niervaco wrote:

I'm pretty sure you have enough frames to make it smooth, but probably your problem is that it isn't animated fast enough, right?
I would recommend to use AnimationFramerate option... but sadly it doesn't work on pipidons. And there isn't any other options that could help you with this. :/
OsuMe65
(correct me if I'm wrong) pippidons are BPM dependent
that means... the higher the BPM, the faster the animation would take place (no matter how many frames you have for that pippidon in each state)
Frozenemerald
Can we skin the loader logo (when we Launch osu! Skin the logo who appears on our deskop)
Eizan Arizawa

MioAkiyama wrote:

Can we skin the loader logo (when we Launch osu! Skin the logo who appears on our deskop)
To bad it's not skinned.
FappyBabes
tyty for ur help!
FappyBabes
How do you change pippi? i dont think it shows.
ncuh
Can't change matchsetup-background/search/lobby. It's all png 1024x768
Nathanael

prky wrote:

How do you change pippi? i dont think it shows.
pippi? where?

ncuh wrote:

Those are no longer used.
ncuh

Nathanael wrote:

ncuh wrote:

Those are no longer used.
Oh...sad...So only menu-background?
show more