How did you start rhythm gaming?

posted
Total Posts
show more
- Marco -
If b-boy (Ps2) is rythm game then that.
Empress
I like Stepmania, that were I train all my "4k skill"
But now I play only O!M after a big break.
Metalsnake27
First Rhythm Game was DDR MAX 2 on the PS2.

Mostly DDR from there when I was young... was always better than most of the people in my family...

Then Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Was ok, never liked the giant controller though.

Then I picked up DJMAX Portable in 2009. Been playing them ever since. DJMAX Fever, DJMAX Portable: Black Square, DJMAX Portable 3, DJMAX Technika TUNE, DJMAX Trilogy. (And recently DJMO Private Server)

Never played Beatmania until I found a cabinet at a gaming convention I went to (Some arcade brought in a whole bunch of bemani games) and I failed badly at it... >_<. Controller takes a bit to get used to.
Topic Starter
Drace
Wow, bemani machines in america... I'd move there in a heart beat if it weren't for school

lucky lucky lukcy :o :o
Metalsnake27

Drace wrote:

Wow, bemani machines in america... I'd move there in a heart beat if it weren't for school

Sadly, most of the DDR cabinets I find now a days, are in horrible condition. The pads are either really sticky or bearly work at all....

I know there are certain arcades that have a bunch of bemani games in really good condition... don't think there is any near me though D:
Topic Starter
Drace
Oh, I thought you meant an IIDX machine when you said beatmania ;o

my bad
Kamikaze
I started rhythm gaming when my classmate showed me osu! in late 2011, then I started playing mania around April 2012 due to other friend's complaints that he has nobody to play mania with on multi :P And I've eventually stayed with it. I became interested in other games of that type, so I've tried o2jam, unfortunately I've been on some shitty server (client crashed more times than worked) and I've found LR2 on Youtube when watching BMS stuff, about November 2013. So now I'm playing osu!, LR2, and I'm thinking about trying Stepmania or Project Diva. I might get back to o2jam some time too.
Pichu
2008 to 2009 Tap Tap Revenge 3
2009 to 2013 Stepmania
2013 to now osu!mania
10crystalmask01

Metalsnake27 wrote:

Then Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Was ok, never liked the giant controller though.
This was the first rhythm game form me. And I sucked at it....
Then there was that Redbana Audition game, but the 3D figures looked pretty weird.

And now this game :)
Still miss the old FPS games (like Counter Strike) I use to play tho
Ryu Sei
Plays some rhythm game in my phone, 5 years ago.
Next 2 years, just recently found Audition Online and used to play it.
And today. Played osu! and DJMAX Technika 3.
ArcherLove

osu!mania around 5 month ago ...
Inkling

Drace wrote:

The Super Arcade in socal that hosts Wednesday Night Fights on Twitch has IIDX and Pop n Music machines O:
Akihiro
Dancing Stage Euromix - 2000 (Yup I was 7 years old :) )
Guitar Hero II, then III - 2007
Stepmania - 2008 (both dancepad and Keyboard)
IIDX - 2009

and now I've played pretty much everything

Taiko, Project Diva, pop n' music, jubeat, Sound Voltex, ez2On, o2jam, djmax trilogy...
[ Demi ]
DDR 5th mix arcade and DDR super nova 2 since 2004 to 2012
Stepmania 2011 and 2012
Project diva on PSP 2013 to until now
osu mania 2013 to until now :) :D
Boomkin_old_1
played stepmania then found osu and played since then :)
Fullerene-
Stepmania: ~December 2012
osu!(mania): mid-February 2014
XK2238
I started my entire rhythm gaming since around 2005 when I was playing PIU (Zero, and I was still a little kid back then) when a kind, pro stranger saw me playing and then taught me how-to-rhythm. Been unconsciously pulled slowly deeper and deeper into the genre, and now... here I am.
jacwib
guitar hero:2008-2009
dj hero:2009-late 2009
Beats portable:spring 2013-now
Osu!Mania:somewhere inbetween-now
Stepmania:late 2013-now
Yellyfish
started Jamlegend (web based Guitar Hero styled rhythm game) around 4 - 5 years ago.
Joined osu!mania Jan 2013, been here ever since.
Karuta-_old_1
o2jam, at first I thought it was a kid's game but then later came to realize that it is way beyond what I see
Janioszek
Guitar Hero: World Tour 2009-2011
Osu!standard/FretsOnFire (started because my GH controller has broken) 2011-2012
Guitar Hero again 2012-2013
Osu!mania (the controller I have repaired has broken again and i smashed it on the wall) 2013-now

Occasionally I have been playing Rocksmith.
Greyusb
I was introduced to "Tap Tap Revenge" which is basically a 3k mania for iOS back in 2007...
Played that quite alot, and then I noticed this free game for my mac called "Frets on Fire"...
Played these two for about 3 years or so, and then I stumbled upon osu! in 2012, been playing until now :oops: still playing 4k only *cries*
projectc1
from o2 jam : i think from 2006 - 2009 (+ counting playing from official and private server)
guitar hero (only the first one) : 2006 / 2007 ?
osu!mania : apr2013 - now
ikzune
guitar hero, cant remem when but around the time it came out
2013 started playing super hexagon for a challenge, moved to touhou and now osu which i found osu mania to be a lot more enjoyable
Reba
i played o2jam for like 1 month and then i discovered osu a few years later
TyroneSama
Played DDR super-casually when I was younger, dabbled in Guitar Hero and Stepmania, found an ITG cab close to my school...it just kind of kept happening.
Jole
I started out with Guitar Hero 3 in 2007 and I kept buying all the newer versions and played them until 2013. I also got my hands on Rock Band 2 and DJ Hero in the meantime, but I didn't play those games nearly as much. Then in 2013 I found osu!mania and it didn't take too long to adjust from 5K only to 4,5,6 and 7K. And here in the spring of 2014 I started playing a little bit of stepmania and IIDX Tricoro.

I played Guitar Hero for so long because I never knew of anything else. Rhythm games are like an urban legend where I live
ggsnipess
Played some ddr on iphone (this is like when DDR still been outside of asia and was still going). Stopped for a while, got back into rhythm games with osu standard, then got onto FFR then onto stepmania. From there saw BMS, played extremely few songs (too damn hard for me). Now I just play osu mania + whatever is fun on ipad (CROSSxBEATS being one)
Valedict
Guitar Hero: 2006
Rock Band: 2007-2010
Hiatus (with occasional RB sessions here and there)
Osu! (Regular mode): 2013
Osu!mania and DJMAX : 2014

My rhythm gaming is limited as far as trying new games, but I'm branching out more nowadays. Probably gonna try o2jam or beatmania soon, and I recently got o2jam U on my phone which has been pretty fun for the most part. Bet it'd be better on an iPad though.
xasuma
I played guitar hero for about 4 years. (2008-2012) I think..

I miss it.. :(
-Sandy Corzeta-
2002 (1st year elementary school) : VOS (Virtual Orchestra Studio), probably this is the earliest Rhythm gaming that i know, loved the classic tracks like Hooked on Classic

2008 : Pump it Up 3 PC Emu and BeatUP Mania (StepMania fork for BeatUP Mania mode from Audition)

2012 : O2Mania and O2Jam

Late 2013 : osu!Mania