forum

Tips for setup changes?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
r u b y y
Before someone reads the title and types "Practice" and thinks to themselves how much of an idiot I am or "Play Scarlet Rose" because they think they're funny, please. Read the rest.
I move back and forth a lot for personal reasons that shouldn't matter to you, and as a result I change desks quite a bit. Every time I move I have a whole different setup (they're glaringly different). I know this game takes practice and I know that muscle memory takes time, but is there something you players do that helps you learn faster?

And I know someone will say something like "u cnt xpect 2 jst lrn quik u dumb" I know this, and I don't expect to instantly replace my muscle memory. I just noticed I'm really inefficient at it (been playing for a few weeks on the same setup and the change has been very gradual)

Also please don't link me to a forum about getting better. I've likely read it already because I'm a desperate person and they don't go over constant setup changes. (it says not to change your setup all the time if you've read one. but I don't really have a choice.)

I apologize if this seems really whiney or whatever, I just like being pretty not terrible at video games.
nooblet
If you're talking about desk setup, then the most important thing is to make sure your screen distance is the same. Or, if your resolution is changing, then make the circles appear the same size. Having a significantly larger/smaller play field will likely affect your sense of distance unless you're able to keep your sense of distance proportional to the window size (I can't. Moving my laptop closer so that CS4 looks like CS3 completely ruins my play, regardless of muscle memory).

Keep things proportional, maintain tablet size or mouse DPI whichever you use, and try to use the same keyboard or same type of keyboard. If possible, try to get in the same position when you play, whether that's by adjusting your chair height or your desk height. The angle at which your arm is will also affect muscle memory.

That's all I can think of. Personally I just play Mania when I move around, I can't play properly anywhere else XD.
Topic Starter
r u b y y
the desk is smaller so my monitor is closer than I'm used to, also the monitor makes my keyboard closer to me (because of the stand), the chair isnt a desk chair so I can;t adjust it either (;-;)
GoldenWolf
You'll get used to your new setup just like you got used to your old one.
tsundoll
Warm up in offline mode whenever you move to a new set up.
Topic Starter
r u b y y

GoldenWolf wrote:

You'll get used to your new setup just like you got used to your old one.
I don't think you really understood what I meant, my setup is changing constantly. I have one setup for a month-ish and then for a week or two I have a different one, then the cycle restarts.
kasdeya
Workout/Excercise/Math will turn on ur brain so u learn faster, try to eat healthy and sleep 8 hours, also try to get as comfortable as possible so u pay more attention to what u are doing.
xasuma
Make sure YOU are comfortable. Then try and stick with that setup. work around things, think outside the box. idk , something . That way you won't have to keep adapting all the time.
AmaiHachimitsu
As nooblet said, keep things proportional.

As for keyboard, all you need to do is to find a good hand position used in each setup (they may differ).

Keep the desk - chair height the same. You can help yourself with some blanket or whatever if your seat is too low.

The same thing when it comes to devices.

If you play 800 dpi and 1024x768 and at the other place there is 1000dpi mouse, change the resolution to 1280x1024 or maybe something between.

Although you wrote a wall of text about how we should treat you, you didn't really specify what are your problems exactly.

what in X location is different from Y location and to what extent?
Topic Starter
r u b y y

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

what in X location is different from Y location and to what extent?
The difference is the desk and the chair, but it effects me a lot for some reason.
and I wrote that text wall because my other posts always seem to get flooded with sarcastic responses and general rudeness that I just don't like to see. I know its the internet and all but most responses I used to get were just a waste of my time to read
iderekmc
setup changes wouldnt affect me at all i dont know why they would affect anyone unless u have a really bad posture or something
Foneza
I've changed my setup so many times. You'll end up stopping afterwards when you get to your 'optimal' setup. Where everything will just goes right for you. Don't worry. It took me 2 months before i stop changing setups.
GoldenWolf

iderekmc wrote:

setup changes wouldnt affect me at all i dont know why they would affect anyone unless u have a really bad posture or something
Because people aren't you? Everyone is different.
AmaiHachimitsu
The difference is the desk and the chair, but it effects me a lot for some reason.
So I assume the height is most important, the distance between seat and desktop should be the same.
nooblet

4ever8bit wrote:

the desk is smaller so my monitor is closer than I'm used to, also the monitor makes my keyboard closer to me (because of the stand), the chair isnt a desk chair so I can;t adjust it either (;-;)
Then keep the monitor at the same distance when you use the bigger desk then. Try adjusting to putting your keyboard to the side if it's not fitting right.
Put books on your chair. It's really not that complicated. Like, if your two setups are 0.5m monitor distance 0.5m chair height and 0.4m monitor distance 0.6 chair height, just use 0.4 monitor distance and 0.6 chair height.
hinamizawan
I'm very indecisive about the keyboard position in my desktop setup and I have a somewhat large desk. My keyboard is near the monitor so I can rest my whole arm until my elbow (I've seen this kind of setup by players like WWW, Niko and Cookiezi) but I'm very accostumed to my oldschool setup, that is when I place my keyboard about a palm of distance by the extreme end of my desk.