forum

Advice for New Mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
B1rd
I am looking for some recommendations for a new gaming mouse. A while ago I bought a Razer Deathadder 2013 because it is very popular and well reviewed, but TBH I detest it; the shape is not right for a fingertip hold and the damn rubber grips are the most slippery surface I ever expierienced in a mouse.

So as I mentioned, I hold the mouse with my fingertips and use a dpi of 2000, and I move the mouse with my fingers and wrist, and play mouse only. So here's the traits I'm looking for in a mouse, in rough order of importance~

-Flawless grip and traction

-Good shape for a fingertip hold

-Very Easily Clickable buttons

-2000 dpi or more optical sensor (I've only heard bad things about laser so I see no reason for it)

-Lightweight, and with low traction feet

-Mouse buttons on side (for other games, preffered but not 100% neccesary)

-At least 500hz polling rate

-must be wired

-Looks good, preferably black

-No amount of money is too much for Osu!

So recommendations thankyou please~
Mathsma
Zowie FK
10crystalmask01

B1rd wrote:

-must be wired
Wired? Care to explain why you prefer wired mouses instead of wireless?
ksg
I grip and move the mouse similarly, (using 750DPI though) and have been happy with a Logitech G300.
It's pretty light and small and can do up to 2500DPI. It's got some grippy-rubbery-thingy-stuff on the sides so it doesn't slip off your hand too easily, and enough programmable buttons. I've heard people say the shape's weird though, but look into it.

Edit: the rubbery stuff on the sides is a tad slippery for the first few months before it wears off a bit.
Piine

10crystalmask01 wrote:

B1rd wrote:

-must be wired
Doesn't die on you and no lag.
kasdeya
Intellimouse, Steelseries Rival , Zowie FK.

Intellimouse is only 400 dpi, but i dont think u need more than that.
Topic Starter
B1rd

_NEIKAN wrote:

Intellimouse is only 400 dpi, but i dont think u need more than that.
Leave it up to me to decide what DPI I need.

Sulker wrote:

10crystalmask01 wrote:

+1, and plus the battery adds weight.

Mathsma wrote:

Zowie FK
This is the mouse I've been considering. Though the Zowie FK only has 3 dpi settings, would there be any issues with using the 2300 setting and putting the Osu sen. at 0.87 for 2001 effective dpi?
I've looked into the other suggestions, but they all have that rubber side grip I'm dubious about. Still more suggestions would be welcome
DeletedUser_3905941
Wait for more information about logitech's G502 Proteus Core. I hear it's brilliant for all types of grips and logitech claims it to use a completely new sensor which makes all others inferior, apparently.
TakuMii
I'm actually looking forward to the Logitech G502 Proteus Core myself. It supposedly has one of the more comfortable shapes, features customizable weight and balance, and has been reported to have an optical sensor that outperforms just about every mouse currently on the market. No guarantees about the sensor though, but I'm really hoping that it's true.
Topic Starter
B1rd
Yes it looks quite interesting; I might wait till it comes out, some time this month? read the reviews and I might buy it.
Noobsicle
there's also the mionix avior 7000, it looks very fingertip grippyish

but damn that g502 looks so good
- Xest -
Mionix Avior 7000 because zowie AM and FK are harder to click
shortpotato
if this is for osu just buy a tablet
Noobsicle

shortpotato wrote:

get out
Vuelo Eluko

shortpotato wrote:

u changed my life
Rewben2

10crystalmask01 wrote:

B1rd wrote:

-must be wired
No batteries
Cheaper
Less latency
Most of the best mouses are wired

The ONLY reason I see wanting wireless is so that a cord doesn't bother you, but for desktop use the cord shouldn't be getting in the way of anything, and if it is snagging on things or something like that, it should be a really easy fix.
Vuelo Eluko
dont forget when you have multiple wireless devices at once and they cause interference with one another
Topic Starter
B1rd

- Xest - wrote:

Mionix Avior 7000 because zowie AM and FK are harder to click
Is that so? What is your source?
Noobsicle

B1rd wrote:

zowie AM and FK use huano switches instead of omrons, they're slightly heavier (probably to reduce misclicks in fps games)

pretty sure mionix mice use omrons
- Xest -

Noobsicle wrote:

B1rd wrote:

zowie AM and FK use huano switches instead of omrons, they're slightly heavier (probably to reduce misclicks in fps games)

pretty sure mionix mice use omrons
Yep, only "downside" to Zowie mice if used to play RTS and other games with constant fast clicking needed\
Mathsma
oh, I didn't realize this was for mouse only. From my experience and the experience of a friend, the AMs buttons are very "cheap" in that they break easily where they will either not register a click or click multiple times. My right mouse button has this happen to it very frequently so it became near impossible to play any FPS with ADS, also the middle mouse button registers multiple times as well and opens up to 5 tabs simultaneously when middle mouse clicking a link. I do not know if the FK suffers from this same issue, but I would not recommend the AM for mouse only use.
itsRadikal
@below: woops, I only looked at the requirements, didnt really read. My mistake on that part ahaha
Noobsicle
he doesn't like it
Topic Starter
B1rd
SPOILER

itsRadikal wrote:

@below: woops, I only looked at the requirements, didnt really read. My mistake on that part ahaha
WAT DID YOU SAY I'LL DIE IF I DON'T FIND OUT

~

Anyways, I had a go at using my old generic Logitech mouse, it gave me 10x the grip of the Deathadder. I think because it has a \/ shape, which lets you form a grip with your opposable thumbs, rather than a /\ shape which makes your hand slip of the harder you grip it.

Now I'm deciding between the Mionix Avior 7000 and the G502 Proteus core. The Proteus core seems more snazzy, but I want a new mouse now...
Noobsicle
http://www.overclock.net/t/1447157/mion ... and-review

http://www.overclock.net/t/1481639/logi ... iew-by-ino

if grip is a big thing for you, i'd go with the avior. however, there are some people that claim logitech's g502 proteus core sensor to be superior to current 3310 sensors (which are already pretty damn good considering they have no +/- accel)
Topic Starter
B1rd
It is done. I've ordered the Avior. Whether or not the G502's sensor is pretty irrelevant, I don't need 20,000dpi or move the mouse at half the speed of sound. Just as long as it doesn't have an accel~
Mara
2000DPI? Jesus man, 200 or nothing.
Vuelo Eluko

Mara wrote:

2000DPI? Jesus man, 200 or nothing.
i could see 200 working if you're playing on a VideoNow screen
murmurp
I know you've purchased a mouse already but thought I'd add my two penneth for anyone else who reads...

Mathsma wrote:

Zowie FK
I did a ton of research into mice before replacing my Logitech mx518. I've not found a better mouse than this yet. I just wish it didn't have the buttons on the right hand side. I didn't get it for osu though. I use a tablet. This mouse (probably all mice) make my hand cramp up while playing osu, haha. If anyone has previously fallen in love with the WMO or the Steel Series Sensei then this is for you. I'm probably still going to keep my eye out for something even better but it's going to be hard. It's all down to getting the perfect grip for me now, and that's really hard to test.

I also tried out the Zowie EC1 (or 2, I can't remember). That one isn't ambi which would be good but I found that picking up the mouse wasn't easy as the right hand side was rounded off too much and you couldn't get your fingers under anything.

As for the Zowie FK/AM being hard to click, I actually pulled mine apart and opened up the microswitches and made them lighter to press. Huanos aren't the lightest switches. It's not the easiest thing to fiddle around with but at the time I was playing LoL so it was worth it. I never had any clicking issues before or after.

Sulker wrote:

10crystalmask01 wrote:

Pretty much this... Though I can understand why people would hate having a cord once they've got used to not having one!

Finally... Laser mice are a scam. Not only is the extra DPI unnecessary, laser mice have been proven time and time again to be much glitchier than optical mice. One thing Zowie did right is get a very high quality optical sensor. The other scam is the recent trend for having little weights you can add to your mouse. You have a whole hand weighing down your mouse as it is. Lighter is better.
Topic Starter
B1rd
So I've got the Avior and been using it for a few days, and here's what I think of it~

SPOILER
The surface is smooth, it feels cross between plastic and metal. At first impression, it feels much more slippery than the rubber Deathadder, but after using it for a while it actually gives more grip; with a rubber surface, it would grip fairly well but over time my fingers would gradually slide out of position. With the Avior's surface, my fingers will slip either a large and noticeable amount of they will lock in place, so as long as I maintain a good grip on the mouse I am allright.

<not my pic

The shape of the mouse is somewhat similar to the Deathadder, it has similar width and is maybe 0.5-1mm shorter. It doesn't have the same height and bulge around the mid-front end, although at the very bottom of the Avior it's higher than the Deathadder, which is annoying as sometimes the back of the mouse will touch the back of my hand.

Though like the post above me mentioned, the ambidextrous design actually gives a superior grip than the right handed Deathadder for my little and ring finger, the Avior has an indentation on the right side (the same as on the left) for my fingers to grip into, while the Deathadder's rounded right side makes it hard to get a grip. And though I though they might, the buttons on the right side of the avior haven't disturbed my fingers at all.

I also like the position of the right mouse button of the Avior better, it is up higher than the Deathadder's which feels better for my hand.

The scroll wheel on the Avior feels too high up on the mouse, but it feels better to rotate than the one on the Deathadder's.

The mouse buttons on the Avior are slightly harder to click than the Deathadder's, this seems to have actually improved my performance in streaming and such, probably because the mouse buttons give more tactile feedback, but I think in the end the softer Deathadder's mouse buttons are better for Osu!.

The Avior is feels slightly heavier than the Deathadder, when I measured on my crude electronic kitchen scales the Deathadder was around 5-8g lighter. The Avior is still light enough not to be a disturbance, though I would prefer lighter, and I definitely would not buy a mouse that was any heavier.

The Avior has better extras, such as being able to change dpi through mouse buttons, and being able to change the LEDs to whatever colour you want.

~So, in the end I like the Avior better than the Deathadder, mainly because I prefer it's grip and shape better, but it's still not perfect and I'm still on the search for the perfect mouse.
show more