forum

About Osu! popularity

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Seyren Delicia
So guys do you think osu! would be better if it was more recognized with more players/championships, sometimes I think... if someday osu will be very popular like the popular mobas or like guitar hero were at ps2 time maybe im going crazy but in my opinion osu could have more players and become more competitive and popular as well, I asked it once at the brazilian facebook comunity and they were against this idea because osu would get more trolls/hackers if this happen

Sorry if my grammar is too bad... thanks for the attention and please give your opinion :)
EZ2ACTux
You do realise that at time of writing osu has a total of 4,193,048 registered users right. That's nearly the size of the population of New Zealand. If that's not considered popular then I'll prance around on one foot on lego bricks singing "she'll be coming round the mountain".
Vuelo Eluko

Tuxdude143 wrote:

You do realise that at time of writing osu has a total of 4,193,048 registered users right. That's nearly the size of the population of New Zealand. If that's not considered popular then I'll prance around on one foot on lego bricks singing "she'll be coming round the mountain".
90% are multi acc or played for a tiny bit then quit
EZ2ACTux

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Tuxdude143 wrote:

90% are multi acc or played for a tiny bit then quit
Still it is a huge number
mathexpert
I don't think osu!will ever be as popular as mobas or whatever. The concept is pretty niche, and probably won't attract as many people. Most importantly it would probably be bad if osu!, as we know it, ever became "mainstream". You do realize that 95% of beatmaps on the game are copyrighted, right?
Vuelo Eluko
active users are more reliable, the number of active users hasnt really changed in over 3 yrs

edit: i mean online users
Piine

mathexpert wrote:

I don't think osu!will ever be as popular as mobas or whatever. The concept is pretty niche, and probably won't attract as many people. Most importantly it would probably be bad if osu!, as we know it, ever became "mainstream". You do realize that 95% of beatmaps on the game are copyrighted, right?
If osu! became mainstream, peppy get a lot of letters saying taking this and that song down...

SO DON'T EVER ADVERTISE! Just sit around and play and be silent
Purple
It wouldn't necessarily be a smart thing for copyright holders to demand songs to be taken down, if osu! became popular enough.

If they did, then who cares? There is a wealth of music out there whose authors would leave us alone. Stop worrying about copyright issues in osu!.
Weed
osu being popular wouldn't be osu anymore
kouzuki_karen

bewaredrev wrote:

peppy

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

active users are more reliable, the number of active users hasnt really changed in over 3 yrs
you my sir are making shit up
EZ2ACTux

peppy wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Oh my god! That made my freaking day that! Words from the creator himself! I gotta get that stitched on a pillow!
ivan
x
Zerostarry
osu! is already popular as hell. I find it so weird that people from my school actually know about it.

Also blame those dumb "progamers" like dyrus who play this game during queue times. lol im gonna get flamed hard for saying that

I even hear people say the only reason osu exists is to get better at LoL. thats how bad it's gotten.
kouzuki_karen

Tuxdude143 wrote:

peppy wrote:

Oh my god! That made my freaking day that! Words from the creator himself! I gotta get that stitched on a pillow!
w0w
Topic Starter
Seyren Delicia
All i want too see is this game becoming even better .. I know few people that play osu and those that have played before stopped because they said they were too bad at it, maybe a team scheme in the future ?
Vuelo Eluko

peppy wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

okay okay, it just always seemed about the same when i hit f9!
Jarby

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

peppy wrote:

okay okay, it just always seemed about the same when i hit f9!
Haven't you only been here for 6 months?
silmarilen
2 years ago getting 10k people online was a rarity, now it happens daily and i've seen it go as high as 14k+
so yes, the amount of online people is still growing
Tanzklaue
the thing is that it's not even always the same 8k-14k users that are online all the time.

my blind guess would be that the regular playerbase (1 log in at least every week) exceeds 50-100k quite easily, and the semi-regular playerbase (1 log in per month) is probably at least 3 times bigger than that.

it is no lol or dota, but it is probably close to commercially successful titles like sc2 and exceeds a lot of free to play games by a lot.
Purple

bewaredrev wrote:

Why? Because hipster logic says so?

Has anyone seen osu! being mentioned in other places? What kind of places? I'm kind of curious about it.
Blaziken
I've seen osu be talked about on that Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Duel Accelerator game which was running for a while
peppy
regular userbase is well over 600k. also keep in mind the MINIMUM online has also seem a huge boost; just a year ago it would drop well below 3k at off-peak times. now it's hard to find it below 7k. i might change the stat on the website from account registrations at some point in the future, since i also agree that this means absolutely nothing.
piruchan
I'm a new player, started back in December 2013.

To be honest, I don't want osu! to get super popular like LoL, DotA, and the likes. Mainly because of this,

Seyrenn wrote:

I asked it once at the brazilian facebook comunity and they were against this idea because osu would get more trolls/hackers if this happen
and the amount of "how do I get better?" thread would rises.

Plus, osu! community is the best online gaming community I've ever known. If the amount of people gets bigger, I'm not really sure that would hold up.

On a side note, most songs in osu! are Japan-related. Considering that there are people who find those kind of stuff as uncool, weird, strange, childish, etc, I'm uncertain that this game will ever be as popular mainstream MOBAs (pretty sure there's a lot of people who find killing enemies is cooler than clicking circles).

Just a thought of a newbie, don't take it too serious :) .
Witch Mercy
All hail peppy, he speaks the truth.
ElykColdster
I want to see a day when osu! gets popular enough that most people know the game. I really enjoy talking about the game with other people and unfortunately there aren't enough people who play osu! to talk to where I'm from.
Topic Starter
Seyren Delicia

ElykColdster wrote:

I want to see a day when osu! gets popular enough that most people know the game. I really enjoy talking about the game with other people and unfortunately there aren't enough people who play osu! to talk to where I'm from.
I know that feel bro

piruchan wrote:

I'm a new player, started back in December 2013.

To be honest, I don't want osu! to get super popular like LoL, DotA, and the likes. Mainly because of this,

Seyrenn wrote:

I asked it once at the brazilian facebook comunity and they were against this idea because osu would get more trolls/hackers if this happen
and the amount of "how do I get better?" thread would rises.

Plus, osu! community is the best online gaming community I've ever known. If the amount of people gets bigger, I'm not really sure that would hold up.

On a side note, most songs in osu! are Japan-related. Considering that there are people who find those kind of stuff as uncool, weird, strange, childish, etc, I'm uncertain that this game will ever be as popular mainstream MOBAs (pretty sure there's a lot of people who find killing enemies is cooler than clicking circles).

Just a thought of a newbie, don't take it too serious :) .
I disagree ... I made a lot of friends playing osu because I only play multiplayer but I met tons of stupid people so if there were more players there would be more trolls OK but there would be more good players too ;)
Tanzklaue

peppy wrote:

regular userbase is well over 600k. also keep in mind the MINIMUM online has also seem a huge boost; just a year ago it would drop well below 3k at off-peak times. now it's hard to find it below 7k. i might change the stat on the website from account registrations at some point in the future, since i also agree that this means absolutely nothing.
i don't like guessing numbers, i always over- or undershoot by a lot ;;
Xiaolin
I do believe osu! is popular, it already have osu!tablet, and ofc that osu!tablet comes with an osu! logo sticker~ o3o Sadly, its only on Japan, I think
XPJ38
osu! can't be as popular as Lol, Starcraft or Dota anyway. At most, it can have a similar userbase than DDR/Stepmania but that's still not even close to Lol's community.
Tanzklaue
pretty sure that sc2 is at max 1-2 million regular players (defined as people who play once a week). psu isn't too far off from that.
Trash Boat
at this rate, 5,000,000 users won't be that hard to achieve
ElykColdster

XPJ38 wrote:

osu! can't be as popular as Lol, Starcraft or Dota anyway. At most, it can have a similar userbase than DDR/Stepmania but that's still not even close to Lol's community.
You have to keep in mind that the entry conditions for DDR/Stepmania are less financially forgiving than osu!'s. Whereas virtually all people on the internet have keyboards and mice to play osu! with, not everyone wants to/can pay for a dancemat and (maybe) a game disk to play DDR/Stepmania.
ggsnipess

Princess wrote:

Also blame those dumb "progamers" like dyrus who play this game during queue times. lol im gonna get flamed hard for saying that
Good giggle i just had.

Rather have a community which likes music, than a community filled with shit threads everywhere and just asking how to get better. Honestly, if the community is like this for every new user, I'm 100% fine with this. Just remember the stigma with music/rhythm games, its for "no-life people" or "asians" or "people who want carpal tunnel syndrome."no offence to anyone, here have a idkwatdisis(^・3・)