forum

CTB Mapping Tutorial & Video Collection

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sey
CTB Mapping Tutorial

What is this about?
This tutorial shows patterns that you can use in your own CTB specified beatmaps. This is a project where everyone who is interested in CtB mapping can participate. Only with your help the Thread will become more helpful to CtB mappers. In this tutorial we will focus on Basic and Advanced Patterns. Basic Patterns are necessary in pretty much every CTB specified difficulty while Advanced Patterns head beyond these basics and should be used after you gained some experience in CTB mapping.
You can download a beatmap with some of the Basic Patterns below here . I will add more to this later.

The Osu Academy
The Osu Academy's developer Ztrot introduces a lot of videos showing practice in all life-relevant aspects of osu!. Take a look here if you are interested in seeing more of his awesome videos. Especially I want to link you to one of his videos about CtB mapping practice:

A Guide about H-Spacing by Drafura
Introduction to CtB mapping using horizontal-spacing value (H-spacing):

As explained in the video CtB mapping is all about the X value of the objects, the H-spacing is the spacing value showed by the editor when two objects have the same Y value.

Where to find those values?

Bascially those values allows you to know if a jump is going to be easy, hard or hypered, that's why they're usefull in a first time. To know if a jump is going to be hypered you have to do some tests before and find at witch H-spacing the hyperdash is triggered. In my example, the h-spacing is triggered at around 2.50x h-spacing for a 1/2 beat. That basically means that if I use 2.45x h-spacing, the hyperdash will not trigger and the jump is going to be extremly hard. Depending on the difficulty of your map, you may want or not use this kind of jump.

Also, you have to be cautious about some things with those values:
  1. Always remember to compare objects using the same Y value. Keep in mind that the slider's end have their own Y but you can't see it in the editor, so make sure to align on the same approximative Y the objects you want to compare (a slider start/circle with the slider end).
  2. Each beatsnap divisor doesn't trigger the hyperdash at the same H-spacing. In my example using 2.5x h-spacing between two objects separated in the timeline by a 1/4 rythm will NOT trigger the hyperdash (It'll be 3x for this case). Please keep that in mind when mapping streams and long 1/1 jumps.
  3. Changing the slider velocity will change the h-spacing used to trigger an hyperdash.
There's also another use of these value, you can add consistency in how the player will feel your map (aka distance snap in standard mapping):
Let's say you start a new map, finish the timing and take for example 2x slider speed. Before starting to map:
  1. Find the h-spacing where the hypers are going to trigger (In my example this is 2.5x with 1/2s).
  2. Then, do some other tests and try to find a good average jump for your difficulty (In my example, for an insane, let's say that we'll take 2x).
  3. Do this two steps for 1/1 and 1/4 (also 1/3 and 1/6 if you think you're going to use them a lot).
Now you can map with these values by taking care of the 3 points I've mentionned earlier. Basically if you want a "normal" 1/2 jump you'll use 2x everytime, you'll increase it only if you think the melody is asking for something really "jumpy". The hyperdashes will work the same way, you'll find a good value for your common hyperdashes in the map and only use more if the song calls for them (I personnally tend to use the minimum trigering value with the actual hyperdash mechanics cause this is the location where the hyperdashes are the less "dizzy"). Using those value this way in your map will make the player feel consistency in the gaming (It's kinda like using the distance snapping in standard mapping).

Another and last point you have to take care of about h-spacing is the difficulty of a jump after an hyperdash. Making "after hyper jumps" a slightly easier than your average jump is a good idea if you want to keep consistency cause those jumps are always harder due to the actual hyperdash mechanics.

BASIC PATTERNS:

What is a Basic Pattern?
A Basic Pattern should be used in every kind of CTB specified difficulty. They are very easy to create but it is very important that they suit the rhythm of the music. In standard converted maps we often have the problem that the Patterns look weird or not fitting in CTB. But if you decide to map a CTB specified mapset they need to make sense and feel logic for the player. This is what really makes a CTB difficulty more special. So let us start to introduce some patterns now. To check out these patterns by yourself you can download my CTB mapping tutorial.

A Guide about Triangles by ZHSteven
ZHSteven prepared a very helpful guide about Triangles. Please take a look at it here!

Hidden Slider Paths

Usage: Often regular CTB modders told me not to use this pattern in my CTB specified difficulties but I really like this pattern on a long drown voice for example.

Inward Sliders

Usage:
I experimented a bit and tried to increase the distances between each Pattern. Also I tried to repeat exactly the same pattern a second time. This went pretty cool because we get two very surprising HDashes here which go both in the same direction. I'd recommend you to be careful with this anyway. If you add HDashes to this pattern it really has to suit the music perfectly.

Jumpy Triples

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/126059
Timing section: 00:13:923 (1,2,3,4,5,6) -
Difficulty: Platter
Explanation: Pretty much triple movements which create a little jump on the last note. If you are aware of symmetry here in harder difficulties this pattern can create a strong left to right or right to left dash-movement.[/b]

Opposite Sliders
Options:

Usage:
This is a technical pattern that is mandatory to create dashy movements, especially when you increase the distance between each slider. Also the variety here is huge. You can use straight sliders which are placed parallel to the x Axis or even Y Axis (more challenging) or lopsided sliders (between x and y axis). Also different directions can de- or increase the challenge of this pattern. Think which kind of options you like here and if they fit with the music.

Overlapping sliders
Options:

Usage:
These sliders are a very often used technique in CtB mapping. In my chosen song they also fit quite well with the rhythm. Overlapping sliders create a lot of movement for the Ryuuta and there are thousand of options how to implement those in your map. In my tutorial I gave you three different examples. Check it out and see if you like it or not. I often use these when the rhythm itself repeats 4 times (1 stanza). 4 sliders are definitely more perceptible for the player than 2 sliders in this pattern.

Slider - Chains (reversed)
Options:

Usage:
This technique looks pretty simple. I personally love playing with sliders and reverse arrows when the song is made for it. Especially when there's a HDash before and you need to move after it pretty fast again cos it's a slider with reverse arrow that follows it. Sliders with reverse arrow in a row (chain) can be funny, in the tutorial song they aren't. If you listen closely the rhythm is not made for it. But I wanted to show you that pattern anyway.

Streams
Options:

Usage:
I guess everybody here knows what a stream is. That happens usually on a very fast rhythm when a lot of notes appear already in a single stanza. Streams can always have the same distance between each note or you can increase the distance with each note to create more difficulty. Also you can vary between that, which means sometimes the distance gets lower, then bigger again. Be creative, do testplays on your map and see which kind of stream fits the best with your song.

VVV Sliders
Options:

Usage:
This can be used on very fast sounds. The faster this pattern is the better. To make this harder you can also increase the distance between each slider. When the sliders are close together it works pretty much like a stream. But if you increase the distance the result will be Dashes and HDashes. Here it really depends. I'd never create HDashes if the distance between sliders has a 1/4 distance. At least not in difficulties which are below a Rain.

ADVANCED PATTERNS:

What is an Advanced Pattern?
Advanced Patterns do not appear in the CTB mapping beatmap I mentioned above. Here I only want to show you some that sometimes appear in CTB specified but also standard mapsets. Before you can map them you need to know about the Basic Patterns, so that you can modify them and make them more challenging. Advanced patterns are mostly hard patterns and should be used with caution. Try to avoid them in easy CTB difficulties, such as a Cup or Salad! Let's take a look on some examples we found together!

Avanced Slider Chains
[centre]
Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/118690
Timing section:01:02:755 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) -
Difficulty: Overdose
Explanation: Please use that pattern with caution. It's very difficult and I would only use it in an Overdose. Probably one of the hardest Patterns we have here so far.[/centre]

Bullet Rain

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/104516
Timing section: 00:45:559 (1,2,3,4,5,6) -
Difficulty: Fruitender
Explanation: Bullet Rain explains this Pattern pretty well. 1/4 sliders appear here one behind the other rapidly. The distance between them is high enough to create a surprising HDash effect here. This only works well when the Beat is fast enough, also consider using these only in high difficulties.

Dashy triplets

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/133999
Timing section:00:07:360 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1) -
Difficulty: Rain
Explanation: Triplets are great, but they are even greater if they are connected with HDashes between. mingmichael showed very well how this is working.At 01:27:144 (1,2,1,2) - you also see how this pattern works without HDashes.
Also triplets can be mirrored, this makes the section even more jumpier and unexpected for the player. In editor mode it could look like this:

Full plate Walk

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/28121
Timing section:02:08:494 (1,2,3) -
Difficulty: EX
Explanation: The idea here is horizontal sliders where the slider end and beginning don't lay above each other with 2 repeats following by other sliders with repears or 2 sliders above each other (Thanks bomber, lol). That's a very difficult pattern, so please use it with a lot of caution!!

HDashes at the end of a Stream

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/148238
Timing section: 00:20:032 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1) -
Difficulty: DeluZe
Explanation: Ursa included 6 beats of 1/8 section to create a stream. Since this whole part is very jumpy his idea was to create a surprising jump afterwards. This is an interesting idea for a harder difficulty but be aware of using 1/8 sections in lower difficulties such as Platter and below. Also this clearly has to suit the song!

Minifying HDashes

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/45671
Timing section: 01:41:663 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1)
Difficulty: Deif's CTB
Explanation: Why should we always increase HDashes from note to note if they also can be decreased? Yes, that's right. This is pretty fitting at an ending of a song, often a decreasing distance is more surprising than an increasing distance. Deif did this in one of his first CtB mapsets. Check it out here: 01:41:663 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) -

Mirrored HDashes

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/130826
Timing section: 01:23:988 (4,5,6,7,8,9) -
Difficulty: Rain
Explanation: I found this very interesting pattern in eldnl's map which I want to share with you. Unfortunately the map is graveyarded already but I really like this dashy movement his difficulty requires at the end of the song. Check his Rain at 01:23:988 (4,5,6,7,8,9) - and you'll see what I mean. I would maybe reduce the distance a bit but the section is challenging and very interesting to play.

Multiple Streams

Timing section: 00:38:669 (4,5,1,2,3,4,5,1) -
Explanation: This pattern is well known. It is basically a pattern that is used by many people already. Only use it in very fast songs that require streams of that kind. This can make a stream much more interesting as described in the list of Basic patterns.

Opposite Sliders with HDashes

Source: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/65855
Timing section: 00:32:723 (7,8,9,10,11) -
Difficulty: Drafura's overdose
Explanation: You can also connect opposite Sliders with HDashes between. I found a map where Drafura made this and it really fits great to the beat. Go and check it by yourself.

Wall Jump

Timing section: 01:04:057 (4,5,6) -
Explanation: You see a long slider followed by two circles. When you play this section you'll see what makes it so special. There are 2 HDashes and the last leads directly into the wall (wall jump). That creates a kind of kick effect, especially cool to play after a Stream.

Wiggling Dash Step

Explanation: Kick sliders that jump a distance from another and step side to side. This can be used in harder difficutlies very well.

CTB Mapping - Video Collection

What is this about?
The video collection shows recordings about how to map CTB difficulties in any criterias. I do this especially to inspire people to see how a decent way of CTB mapping can look like. Once more videos are uploaded you will also get timing and Hitsounding Tutorials!
Also I will announce new videos in this Thread!

Can I participate?
You can if you fulfil the requirements below. If you are interested to share your own way of CTB mapping we will discuss if we can publish the videos on this Thread.

Are there any requirements to be a participant of this?
Yes. Unfortunately I cannot let any random person appear on this project. I prepared a list of which Prerequisites you need to fulfil.
  1. You need a recording and conversion program. Examples here are Fraps for recording and Any Video Converter for conversion. If you have an account on YouTube or Twitch I will share your it on the OP and you can feel free to give more videos whenever you like!
  2. You need at least 1 ranked CTB Guest Difficulty or CTB mapset. This is because I want to be sure that we really show videos of experienced mappers, especially to make mapping easier for starters and other interested people.

Video collection

CTB mapping stream
Video sponsored by ZHSteven

Thanks a lot for your support!

Click here for the Live Stream!

Hitsounding
Video spondered by Drafura

Thanks a lot for your support!

mingmichael
i have some patterns on my map that you haven't mentioned yet (?)

Tomohisa Sako - Zutto (TV Size) 00:17:292 (1,2,3,1) -

Tomohisa Sako - Zutto (TV Size) 00:35:088 (3,4,5,6) -

Ray - Nagi-nagi- 01:01:449 (3,4,5) -

Ray - Nagi-nagi- 01:33:309 (5,6,7,1) -

basically they have a same pattern ^ , but at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pictures don't use any HDash to get those notes and at the 4th picture it needs HDashes at the lastest notes to get the next notes. and then the 1st and 2nd pictures use vertical sliders and 3rd and 4th pictures use little slant sliders

UVERworld - CORE PRIDE (TV Size) 00:07:360 (1,2,3,4,5,6,1) -

UVERworld - CORE PRIDE (TV Size) 00:38:496 (1,1,2,1) -
triplets jumps (?)

UVERworld - CORE PRIDE (TV Size) 00:59:415 (2,3,1) -

this is same like an ordinary HDash, but after the first HDash (from (2) to (3)), we should stand at (3) and to get the HDash again to (1)

UVERworld - CORE PRIDE (TV Size) 01:13:036 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3) -

those are 1/2 notes, and those notes become far and far (actually the notes which move and become far are just 01:13:198 (2) - ; 01:13:685 (5) - ; 01:14:171 (8) - ; 01:14:658 (3) - , and another notes that aren't mentioned are still in a same place, they don't move)
i just get them all on my maps xD hahaha
sorry for the bad explanations >~<
Drafura
Very nice initiative. I'll edit it to add some words about mapping using only H-spacing and also some more things (surprise), with your permission.
Topic Starter
Sey
All CtB BATs are allowed to edit the OP by themselves. If you want to change something ask me first of all, please. But if you want to add more relevant information feel free to do so.

@mingmichael: I will take a look on your suggestions later. :)
bomber34
Will this tutorial have a single map with all the patterns or is it just a bunch of diffs in a mapset?
You also could use a SB or so (these are always nice for tutorials)

Full plate walks (pretty similar to your pattern with the repeat chains but with the difference that a full plate walk mostly is 1/4)
SPOILER

basicly horizontal sliders (or any degree so the sliderend and beginning don't lay above each other) with 2 repeats following by other slider with repeats or 2 sliders above each other (like in neu).
It fills often a bigger part of your plate and you have to walk carefully to not miss any fruit.
You could center each single fruit but most players look for a way to catch the whole slider with the plate alone ... these in a row create a walk which leads to the name
Full plate walk
infamous example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/28121
EX diff: 02:08:494 (1,2,3) -

Overall this is more an advanced to play pattern in my opinion as it can be very hard to catch them all without any misses...
they are probably not a popular choice but sometimes it fits a song pretty well imo.
Topic Starter
Sey
Ah thanks, bomber. Will take a look on that later.

By now it's - as you can see - a bunch of difficulties. I might do a whole difficulty in future when the list is looking fuller. Right now it's still too early cos there are much more patterns and I really hope to get to know them from you guys. This here is just the preparation phase to start with this project. We'll improve this tutorial step by step. Drafura already had some great ideas for it. If anyone wants to share their ideas don't hesitate to post them. :)

About the SB I need to find a person who's able to do that. But in generally I'd totally go for it.
Ollapeu
Ok, some patterns from me :3

more to add....
Topic Starter
Sey
Thanks for the many great suggestions already. I added what I could though some suggestions were indirectly mentioned in the basics already.

@Kandai-sa: Unfortunately I cannot add your patterns without knowing when they exactly appear in your map. Please give me the time sections and I'll look at them.
VelperK

bomber34 wrote:

Will this tutorial have a single map with all the patterns or is it just a bunch of diffs in a mapset?
You also could use a SB or so (these are always nice for tutorials)

Full plate walks (pretty similar to your pattern with the repeat chains but with the difference that a full plate walk mostly is 1/4)
SPOILER

basicly horizontal sliders (or any degree so the sliderend and beginning don't lay above each other) with 2 repeats following by other slider with repeats or 2 sliders above each other (like in neu).
It fills often a bigger part of your plate and you have to walk carefully to not miss any fruit.
You could center each single fruit but most players look for a way to catch the whole slider with the plate alone ... these in a row create a walk which leads to the name
Full plate walk
infamous example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/28121
EX diff: 02:08:494 (1,2,3) -

Overall this is more an advanced to play pattern in my opinion as it can be very hard to catch them all without any misses...
they are probably not a popular choice but sometimes it fits a song pretty well imo.
luck required for doing those = over 9000
ZHSteven
I've seen you busying in doing these stuff.. great job!!
I'll trying to find what I can do for this.

Time To Revive This!!
Topic Starter
Sey
Great, I'll add these information to the OP or link to this page if you don't mind. All credits go to you of course!
Drafura
Added some words about h-spacing.
Broken english I have, feel free to tell me if you can't understand something in there.
Topic Starter
Sey
It looks really great, thanks a lot Drafura!
If anyone still has information that needs to be included here, please let me know about it! :D
Kitokofox
You haven't mentioned my only pattern. It's uncommon on standard maps but so fun to use in CtB maps.
Kitokofox
Also, Wiggling Dash-Step.

Kick sliders that jump a distance from one another and step side to side. If you see these in a map, it's likely because of me. :P
Seph
let Deif decide what to call this but I'd call these Advanced Chain Sliders

Timeline: 01:02:755 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) -
Map by Deif cinema staff - great escape (TV Size)
extremely complicated pattern, one of my personal faves and must be used with caution since its shit hard.
Topic Starter
Sey
Thanks Seph, I will take a look on that soon.

@Kitokofox: Can you tell me in which song I find this pattern exactly? I'd like to take a deeper look at it.^^
newtoniorock8
cool patterns ~ o.o/ :D
Seph
I call this pattern "Bullet Rain"

its a series of multiple hyperdashed vertical sliders

timeline: 00:45:559 (1,2,3,4,5,6) -
map: Infected Mushroom - The Pretender Fruitender
screenshots:
Topic Starter
Sey
Ffff I need to update the OP. I will do eveything tomorrow. Sorry that I needed so long, guys. I was busy with my CtB mapset!

Edit: Everything updated!~
Deif
This thread deserves a bit more of attention! Fixed some typos in the OP too.
Seph
Waiting for a map that will contain all the hard patterns /runs
Topic Starter
Sey
Thanks a lot, Deif. This really means a lot to me!

Seph wrote:

Waiting for a map that will contain all the hard patterns /runs
I might consider making one but atm I'm too busy.

I hope you guys still go on suggesting Patterns, this is really helpful for the CtB community in general.
Seph
gief 6 min song high bpm plox id do it

/runs
Topic Starter
Sey
I changed the OP a bit and made everything easier to find by adding some spoilerboxes.
Also I had some issues with the coding and fixed that. It would be great if I get some more suggestions from you all.
Topic Starter
Sey
So I decided to add my CTB mapping video collection to this tutorial instead of opening another Thread for it. I will add more videos from time to time.
Please go and check it out and see if you want to participate. Exact details and pieces of information appear in the OP!

EDIT: Also I will add a video soon that explains all the Patterns I described in the OP (Probably with voice and explanations).

EDIT2: Just added another mapping video of my Platter in Akitaka Tohyama - Piano Intro -Massive Mix-
ZHSteven
http://www.twitch.tv/zhsteven/b/429189413
/me runs
it is really a very very old live stream I made, for the trolling freedom dive 3rd edition 1st part -.-

Yes, sometimes i will do some mapping live streams when I am boring-.-
Drafura
How I make my hitsounds (not a tutorial, just a fast explanation)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=movYqhD ... e=youtu.be
Topic Starter
Sey
Hello everyone, I have fixed several coding issues in the OP and planning to give this Thread more attention in the near future. Concerning this, when you have anything in mind, let me know and I will come up with an idea to add your concerns to the OP.
Drafura
Hello, little correction on my spacing tutorial : Always remember to compare objects using the same Y value. Keep in mind that the slider's end have their own Y but you can't see it in the editor, so make sure to align on the same approximative Y the objects you want to compare (a slider start/circle with the slider end).

There's no need to align the objects on the same Y anymore, an update fixed that some time ago. Would be nice if you can remove everything about Y alignement.
[ Sebastian ]
Are the tutorials still accurate now?