forum

Middle key : What finger to use ?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PouletFurtif
Hi all
I'm new to Mania gamestyle, and I want to know if there is a best setup to play 5k and 7k about tapping the middle yellow key.
Should I keep the default spacebar or use my index finger ? Looks like best players use default.
If I keep the spacebar, which thumb should I use ?
Finally, do I just need not to care and play instinctively ?

thanks
bomber34
for 5K i like to use the index finger but for 7K the spacebar

I used to play with my index finger on 7K to hit the middle key but some patterns get really frustrating to play with that ...
I guess 8K players could still play 7K middlekeys with index, because they probably use their little finger anyway (I guess)

overall I would say you get used to anything if you play a lot

about the thumbs ... I actually try to use both (mostly left thumb though)
Tornspirit
Default is easier to learn I think. Not having to use the pinky finger is a huge plus because that's a lot harder to get used to. Use whatever feels best though.

Personally, i use default for 5k and 7k, then special left side keys for 8k with asdf space jkl. I use my right thumb for space.
iydras
if you are right handed, use your right thumb as it is easier to control or vice versa
Aqo
pinkies are awful go with thumbs, you'll be happy you made this choice in the long term

8k with two thumbs masterrace
Xcrypt
real men play with pinkies.
Yuki Toboe
I found using my thumb awkward at first when I first moved from 4k to 7k mode two months ago, but now it doesn't feel any different and I'm glad I got used to playing like that.
moni
left thumb 8-)
PyaKura
Most players use their thumb. As to which one they use, well, it varies a lot... I remember having seen a poll saying that a bit more of 50% of the o!m players use their left-thumb... kinda surprised me.

Just use whatever you're fine with. There is no correct way to play.
moni

PyaKura wrote:

Most players use their thumb. As to which one they use, well, it varies a lot... I remember having seen a poll saying that a bit more of 50% of the o!m players use their left-thumb... kinda surprised me.

Just use whatever you're fine with. There is no correct way to play.
many player in asia :3 use left thumb for spacbar ;)
Topic Starter
PouletFurtif
Thanks for your answers.

I guess people use thumb because it's really better and not because it's the default setting.
Fudgy
I personally think it's all about habitude since I could not play at all with my thumb when I started with default, but I started to get way better when I played with my left index; it's just a different finger. There will always be a hand which will press 4 keys, so patterns won't necesary be easier to do. Just pick the the configuration which is more natural for you to use, which is the one that will make you improve faster too. :D
Pinecone
I use mainly right thumb but lately I've been training to use both thumbs.
It's a bit confusing but I guess it will pay off when I do 8k since i dont have to use pinky.
Ryu Sei
Right thumb (no matter 5K/7K) since I'm right-handed.
Bobbias
This should have been posted in this thread: t/172151

We need someone to mod this forum properly. Posts like this should be moved directly into that thread rather than left here. Or at the very least closed after the question has been answered (or after someone suggests using the correct thread).
Reba
i use right thumb only but i'll need to train to use both when it comes to hard songs