forum

[Tutorial] osu!mania mapping, Basics

posted
Total Posts
show more
gnidalupa
@Bobbias Full Density is puuurfect and not overmapped :^)
Bobbias
Haha, I've got no problem with Full Density honestly. I have no idea how anyone could possibly pass it, but hey, if they find it fun, that's great.
zorefire
Approach rate is changeable using the Increase and Decrease of the time line zone.
[AyanoTatemaya]
Thanks for the tutorial! :)
Topic Starter
Hanyuu

theowest wrote:

It would be awesome if this could be turned into a video tutorial for this project, under the Introduction to the Editor for mania mode.
Link: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/109137
I changed my mind and i made some little video examples for the most important things in this tutorial. I hope this can explain it all even more :D
DJNightmare
Good Luck there! Any more images you require to be created and i will be glad to do it :3
:)
Bobbias
I noticed you never mentioned that pitch relevancy can also work from right to left. You might want to mention that. Sometimes switching pitch relevancy direction can help make things more interesting.
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
This is not part of the guide an can be refered to mirroring any pattern, pitch relevancy does work from right to left in an descending manner but what you probably mean is just mirrored patterns.
Bobbias
Mirroring patterns should be mentioned here. It's one of the fundamental tools in mania mapping. Hell, all you really need to say is something alone the lines of "Remember, any pattern mentioned here, including itch relevancy, can be mirrored."

If this is going to be the go-to tutorial on mania mapping basics (which it currently is), it would be good to cover all the basics, not just what you feel like covering.

As it stands it honesty sounds like you are telling people they can only go from left to right, which is entirely untrue. Even if you didn't intend it to come off that way (because mirroring is something you can generally assume people should understand if they're a decent mapper) it doesn't change the fact that this is specifically for newcomers, and you don't want to accidentally leave something that is misinterpreted by those new mappers. You need to be explicit about what you expect people to know coming in, even if you don't cover it at all.

Also "this is not part of the guide" is irrelevant if you're trying to make a good guide. If it's part of mapping basics, it should be part of the guide. Mirroring things is basic and one of those things new mappers should be reminded of. (I might be a bit... overzealous? here, wasn't trying to be an ass or anything <_<)
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
Ah i see, I thought of this tutorial more of a little guide to mapping terms with a few examples. Mirroring is important yes but i never thought things like that should be mentioned, I thought it was pretty common knowledge to do this since quite alot of songs use it and shouldnt be new to a player that played for quite a bit. But i agree it is really fundamental and should be adressed here since its the "Basics" :P
Do you have any special place in mind where i could fill this in?
Bobbias
Ahh, well we don't have any other guides, and this does a very good job of introducing many of the basic concepts that go into mapping. I see what you meant about more or less introducing the terms, as opposed to providing more in depth discussion.

I would try to include it above the mirroring section. That way it's the first thing dealing with patterns, and tells people that anything they see below doesn't need to be placed in certain locations, and can easily be swapped without causing a problem.
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
I think im gonna add more text to the "general design" area and fill mirroring into it. That section looks a bit barren

Edited: I filled in the mirroring and expanded the general design area with even more stuff. I was only writing about the song itself there and a bit of input about the general design of the map itself came kinda short... Well i fixed that now. Thanks for the advice bobbias :D
Dargor3012
question, when i made my map in osu mania it forces the player to play the amount of keys i chose instead of any keys they want. like i use 6 and my buddy uses 4 but it forced him into 6 how do you change that :S
Topic Starter
Hanyuu

Dargor3012 wrote:

question, when i made my map in osu mania it forces the player to play the amount of keys i chose instead of any keys they want. like i use 6 and my buddy uses 4 but it forced him into 6 how do you change that :S
It is not possible.
Dargor3012
but when i play other songs that are allready made on osu mania it will adjust the notes based on the keys i choose while staying on the same difficulty
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
Choosing your own number of keys only works for osu! standard beatmaps. Those songs are not made for osu!mania. Songs made specifically for mania are fixed on the key amount the mapper intended their map to be.

Here are the difficulty symbols for all the game modes:

Star shape = osu! standard
Drum shape = Taiko
Note shape = osu! mania
Fruit shape = Catch The Beat
Taadashi
Just a quick question. Is there anyways to make the composer play only one beat at a time? Instead of having it play through the whole song?
kratosfamily
Thanks for the tutorial,it's really helpful to me~~
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
Welcome
Avoya
aa
NaixKole
Thanks for the tutorial, it's very helpful :D

but i think none of the videos works anymore? ._.
Topic Starter
Hanyuu
Sorry about this. I uploaded one anime osu beatmap and i got my account banned for this
Kamikaze

Hanyuu wrote:

Sorry about this. I uploaded one anime osu beatmap and i got my account banned for this
Weird, I've been uploading this kind of stuff for many months now and I only got 1 warning for Weed Circulation replay
Reba
Very nice information :)
seoulkun
when i drag an mp3 it always turn to edit an osu! map not for osu!mania! help :(
radivan2010
how to put sample to hitsound... i had put sample, but when i press R for clap, the hitsound not changed.
lenpai

seoulkun wrote:

when i drag an mp3 it always turn to edit an osu! map not for osu!mania! help :(
Because revivng old but sticked post *cough

If you use a Mac, get a VM (like parallels) or Bootcamp. Osu editor is crap in a Mac as the standard mode can only be mapped
As for Windows, At the part where they ask the main details of the song (name,
Artist, tags, etc.) go to the last tab and find the modes and change "All" to "osu!mania"

Hope this helps!
icangicung
i hope there's still people here, is there anyway to make beatmap for mania like in 'tap tap revenge' ? this is getting really frustating :( please advise.
Rilene

icangicung wrote:

i hope there's still people here, is there anyway to make beatmap for mania like in 'tap tap revenge' ? this is getting really frustating :( please advise.
tap tap revenge? so you want to make it 3 keys? =o
Ronskie1999
Videos are dead :(
OnosakiHito
Unsticking the tutorial since most of the videos are dead which were the pivotal point for the guide.
Additionals, there is a new Mania Tutorial you can check: t/439430
Miapp
I still dont know, where can I set that I vant 4k? :/
abraker

PSA: If you gonna make a tutorial, how to, or any resourceful thread, make sure the external sources are going last for a long time. Thank you.

StairGuy29
This helped thanks
Stellamaris
And how do you import the song, to start with?