forum

Make Spinner leniency user definable

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
What is spinner leniency?

Basically it determines how hard/easy it is to clear a spinner.

What am I suggesting?
Spinner leniency is defined by the OD that a map is set to. I want this effect on OD to be optional by method of a feature under the Advanced tab that is similar to stack leniency, but instead of stacking things, it will make spinners easier/harder to spin. This would be enabled/disabled by a checkbox similar to Enabling custom colors. When enabled it will use the value of the slider, as the spinner leniency instead of the value indicated by the OD used.

It would look similar to this slider, with an extra checkbox somewhere.

What do we need this?

I think it will be helpful to let us adjust our spinner difficulty to the song instead of the difficulty. The OD expected for a difficulty is not always the optimal one for the spinners. This is especially true for spinners in easier difficulties. Often the OD is so low that it becomes too easy to outspin the spinner for a huge bonus. It would be useful to adjust the leniency of the spinner without having to jack up the OD. It would allow us to properly adjust what bonus our maps give, without having to deal with unusual difficulty settings.This is something that the Advanced tab was made for, and there's room for it.

Please give more thought to your post than osu! doesn't need this. Thank you.

~TheVileOne
deadbeat
kinda suggested before
however i think at that point only the AR part was considered. I have been thinking something like this would be useful
bomber34
I actually like this idea, but I am not sure if this is really necessary :/
I support it but i doubt that this get implemented.

Is this something that you often encounter?
HakuNoKaemi
It's needed to use shorter spinner too
mm201
I think the setting should be per-spinner.
Sakura
So basically splitting OD (again) into Accuracy, and Spinner Difficulty? I'd support that.
Aqo

mm201 wrote:

I think the setting should be per-spinner.
this
Shulin
The OD expected for a difficulty is not always the optimal one for the spinners.
Would like to see this because of this. I often want to use a higher OD but a not so strict spinner leniency and vice versa.
Kodora
Bump

It will be really useful for maps what have high OD but wants to keep spinners playable.

Have my support!
D33d
Given that the overall difficulty includes spinners as part of that difficulty, I think it'd be counter-intuitive to have things like a less forgiving hit window juxtaposed with extremely easy spinners.

When spinners are used appropriately, they'll always be playable enough, regardless of how hard the rest of the map is.
Flower
D33d

Flower wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/21928 And that's why.
The spinner plays just fine to me and I'm not even that good at spinning.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I made this request because spinners are too easy to spin with Easy level difficulty settings. Long spinners can give you tons of points and someone doesn't even have to remotely try to clear a spinner. I believe spinners should require a tempo similar to that of the song itself in order to pass. Spinners that set the bar too low don't give the weight I feel should be there, and the point where the average SPM gets a bonus is not where I think is ideal for the song.
silmarilen

Flower wrote:

the reason that spinner is impossible on hr is life drain, not od.
Flower

silmarilen wrote:

Flower wrote:

the reason that spinner is impossible on hr is life drain, not od.
OD 10 is quite harsh. The combination makes it impossible, not only hp or od.

TheVileOne wrote:

I made this request because spinners are too easy to spin with Easy level difficulty settings. Long spinners can give you tons of points and someone doesn't even have to remotely try to clear a spinner. I believe spinners should require a tempo similar to that of the song itself in order to pass. Spinners that set the bar too low don't give the weight I feel should be there, and the point where the average SPM gets a bonus is not where I think is ideal for the song.
Impov, there's no need to make it definable for this purpose. Actually the problem is that many beginners don't even know how to spin, some of them don't press mouse button, and some of them don't let the cursor go around the centre. Most of them can not spin a 300 on a single spinner.
It's no different to "someone could 4mod SS on an Easy song so we should let mods be harder".
I think the only use is Augoeides.
Topic Starter
TheVileOne
I believe there is reason enough for both situations. I design maps based on the music and I unlike a lot of other people appreciate the simpler difficulties in maps. When I'm in the mood to just casually play, then I will want to play easier difficulties. I don't like when spinners that spin too easily make me want to break from my casual tempo and spin faster to get more bonus. I want it to be not so clear how fast you should be spinning to get a bonus and the difference between spinning heavily and spinning to the tempo is marginal.

I think lots of other newbie players don't want to grind their hardware into their desk to get the maximum bonus. I don't want to pressure people into doing so, especially when most want to just spin at their own pace. And no, you could still pass the spinner without trying, it would only affect the bonus that people get at the end.
Legxis
Maybe there should be an option for enhanced settings that lets you change all elements that OD is made of. Can't say I disagree that it's sometimes hard to decide which one to use because of conflicts between some of the elements.