forum

Reverting unuploaded maps after testing

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +162
show more
Blue Stig
Yes please!
D33d
I'd definitely like to see this. If nothing else, how about a backup/previous versions feature?
Raging Bull
idk about you guys, but I tend to use export osz instead of uploading it instead as a means of saving it.
TheVileOne
@RagingBull That will create a duplicate folder in your song folder. There is no easy way to deleted a duplicated folder and the extra folder when cause issues when you submit. Also if you happen to open a backup .osz, it will overwrite any unsaved files in your recent folder. Deal with .osz backups with care.

It shouldn't be very difficult to add this. The game just needs to keep the undo changes loaded in memory even after entering test mode. The only cases in which the undo changes should get cleared is leaving the active beatmap (by changing difficulty) or leaving to the edit menu. Saving and testplaying is an integral part of editing a beatmap and it is absurd to remove the ability to undo changes after a testplay. Changes made to a map should be testplayed.

If I had stars, I would shoot them all to this request.
Luvdic
Or peppy could make it so osu! keeps saved all versions of the map in another folder, and in edit mode there would be an option to load the diff to a previous version.

I'm saying this because I find myself uploading the maps and asking some people about what they think about a specific pattern very often, and if they don't like it, I have a hard time to reverse it back in case I forget to make a copy of it, and having osu! auto saving all records of them and keep them organized would help a lot. Anyways, it's not like these files were to weight that much....
Full Tablet

Xanandra wrote:

Or peppy could make it so osu! keeps saved all versions of the map in another folder, and in edit mode there would be an option to load the diff to a previous version.

I'm saying this because I find myself uploading the maps and asking some people about what they think about a specific pattern very often, and if they don't like it, I have a hard time to reverse it back in case I forget to make a copy of it, and having osu! auto saving all records of them and keep them organized would help a lot. Anyways, it's not like these files were to weight that much....
Good idea.
TheVileOne
Please...add this...
TicClick
if this means keeping a back up of the difficulties, I am all for it
Papysh
Backup of the beatmaps would be nice, this is the one of small features but it may be effective since i almost lost my map On my luck i uploaded it 10 mins earlier
Please dont let this feature be ignored
emonite
This feature is actually useful so support +1
- Marco -
upport (0 stars)
S o h
I would love it if we could make several "versions" of a beatmap, preferably by a hotkey.
Jenny

TicClick wrote:

if this means keeping a back up of the difficulties, I am all for it
First thought of storing it in RAM, but given the tiny filesizes, HDD speed'll do.
Also, I like the quicksave/-load erogemenu-like idea from earlier.

@Souen-: File -> Save as new difficulty -> Do not clear all objects -> Safe copy/alternate version (also that's what I am doing as of always to bypass these troubles)
Bobbias
I've got an idea for an alternative to requiring you to save your diff before test.

Instead of requiring you to save your diff, osu could warn you that you are testing unsaved changes, save a temporary copy of the file for the testplay in the folder, and delete the temporary copy after you're finished testplaying.

This would allow you to avoid saving changes you aren't happy with, making it easier to revert things if you don't like them.
Kitokofox
On top of keeping the undo, I think it would be much easier to just ask the user if they want to save first. If they want to keep their changes and test it they can. If they want to try out changed they just don't save it.
It's easy to just add an extra button to the dialog box.
I like this idea, though, I hope something gets done about this.
phaZ
well if i am really unsure about some pattern, etc. i save it as a new difficulty so i can do everything there. if i like something i can copy it into the real diff. Or instead of deleting the pattern just move it to somewhere else in the map.
LexiaLovesU
I support this its annoying losing your work ;~;
Redon
Flower
Saw another post about undo, and have to bump this. Support.
Chamelo
This should be implemented!

I recall myself messed up the map and test it.
Then I ended up spend around an hour re-mapped it. ;w;
Legxis
omg, yes
#nostarsleft
Sephibro
>Please don't reply with "support"
Chamelo
And I recall that I forgot to support this. :D
Full Tablet
I found a way to have this feature using Dropbox and symbolic links for Windows. If you back-up your beatmap project with dropbox, it will keep each version of each file for 30 days.

1. 1) Install http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... l#download (It's a explorer shell extension for generating symbolic links easily on Windows). If you use Windows XP make sure you install the appropriate driver at the bottom of the page.
  2. 2) Install Dropbox, and make an account if you already haven't: https://db.tt/o98VCEie (if you create an account via this link I will get free storage space for it)
  3. 3) Move your beatmap folder to a folder inside the Dropbox sync folder.
  4. 4) Right-click the beatmap folder, and choose "Pick Link Source"
  5. 5) In the Songs folder, right-click and choose "Drop As..." -> "Symbolic Link"
  6. 6) Now, every time you update a file in the beatmap folder, it should be backed up in Dropbox.
  7. 7) If you want to restore a previous version of a file you modified, right click the file, and select "View Previous versions". A browser tab will open that shows something like this:
Vuelo Eluko
i support this simply because mappers are the lifeblood of the game and everything possible should be done to make them comfortable in the editor.
good luck getting this implemented. these don't seem to go through too often but hopefully this one does