forum

[invalid] [mania]Bring back/Add scroll speed changing midsong

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +23
Topic Starter
October Scream
I feel dead without the manual scroll speed changes in osu!mania...

In certain songs (Mainly old songs) it's impossible to read at the speed it changes to by the BPM going from 130 to 390 in a snap. Same with going from 130 to some extremely slow BPM. I would also think this would be good to add into mania specific maps.

If this were to be considered, the speed should not be changed in the pause menu for fair game.
Nathanael
I feel bad for mania players who'll play this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/1785
Chamelo
Do you even have a time to change scrolling speed midsong?
Maiz94
Dup : t/191260/start=0

Also, I'll just quote Full Tablet's wise words here,

Full Tablet wrote:

That ability was removed so you can't do what you are trying to do. Adapting to scrolling speed changes is a skill.
Chamelo
Oh, I just remember, not sure if it related or not.

There was a problem when you change a scrolling speed after the song end, the game freeze until you press 'Esc'
So, to fix this, changing during the game must be removed.

cmiiw, anyway. ;w;
Redon
Maiz94

Redon wrote:

You can call anything a skill. Something requiring practice does not automatically make it a fun mechanic. Adapting to scrolling speed changes is as far from fun in as anything in a rhythm game can get, and quite possibly the most idiotic sort of skill you can acquire, too.
Adapting speed changes / Sightreading SV changes is the same as sightreading AR++ in std. So, are you saying that these std players' skills considered as idiotic skills?
bwross

Redon wrote:

You can call anything a skill. Something requiring practice does not automatically make it a fun mechanic. Adapting to scrolling speed changes is as far from fun in as anything in a rhythm game can get, and quite possibly the most idiotic sort of skill you can acquire, too.
It can add a lot to the map when done properly. Old maps, though, have silly things in them where speed changes aren't going to work so well when converted... they're pretty much acceptable casualties. People got used to that silliness with Taiko conversions (sometimes it's even fun to play a map where dons regularly fly out and insert themselves into the middle of patterns), and they'll learn to deal with it in Mania.

ishimaru94 wrote:

Adapting speed changes / Sightreading SV changes is the same as sightreading AR++ in std. So, are you saying that these std players' skills considered as idiotic skills?
Well, high AR isn't really so much a skill... you acquire it eventually whether you want it or not. It's certainly not sightreading... it's more being able to follow the speed. If anything, high AR makes maps much easier to sightread by reducing the objects on the screen and requiring much less need to develop look-ahead ability. So, yeah, I suppose you could call that an idiotic skill... I know I rued the day I discovered I was comfortable with AR9 and mistaking it for AR8. It's at least idiotic in that AR doesn't have anything to do with the beat of the music (Mania speed changes done right do fit the music)... a pointless skill is learning to hit the first circle on HD on a song with no lead-in music, by using the AR timing. Doing that reliably is a sign that you've developed the skill to whack moles at a specific time after they appear/disappear, not that you've developed any particular skill in the timing of the rhythm.
Nathanael

ishimaru94 wrote:

Dup : t/191260/start=0
I'll leave this thread open because it has a star priority. Marking that as duplicate.
Ephemeral
This was removed for a reason and essentially boils down to the fact that speed adjustments mid-session essentially provide a huge advantage which is supposed to be overcome by skill rather than adjusting an opinion.
Topic Starter
October Scream
Sometimes it's unfair for us all. Multiple songs, all auto converts, will double or triple their bpm and make the track unreadable
Linkin Park-Faint http://osu.ppy.sh/s/3492
NicoNicoDouga-NiceBoat http://osu.ppy.sh/s/1839
Maximum the Hormone-What's Up, People?! (TV Size) http://osu.ppy.sh/s/50763
and more. Most scores in the top 50 of those have speed adjusted down (all actually if I'm right)
Aqo
It's not unreadable. Learn to read more speeds :v
TheVileOne
Don't like the song, don't play it. Noone is forcing you to play a map with a bad conversion. The taiko players don't complain that they can't change the scroll speed when it senselessly speeds up or slows down in a map conversion. There are plenty of good map conversions and even if there isn't a good map conversion for a certain song, one can always be created.
Maiz94

Aqo wrote:

It's not unreadable. Learn to read more speeds :v
+1
yoshilove
I think also unfair.
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=156352&m=3
With such marathon music, a difference arises too much.

I thought it's a bug.
However, invalidity ... :(
Stefan

October Scream wrote:

Sometimes it's unfair for us all. Multiple songs, all auto converts, will double or triple their bpm and make the track unreadable
Which makes it invalid.