I'm like the only person who prefers Browns
Myke B

YayMii wrote:

To each his own. Rep them browns homie.
Noobsicle
choose reds

blues = ~50-55g actuation force, clicky/tactile and loud as hell

reds = ~45g actuation force, linear (no feedback in key presses whatsoever except for bottoming out on keys)

browns are a good mix of the two switches doe, almost same actuation force as reds but has a subtle bump with every key press (not as clacky as blues)
Myke B

Noobsicle wrote:

choose reds

blues = ~50-55g actuation force, clicky/tactile and loud as hell

reds = ~45g actuation force, linear (no feedback in key presses whatsoever except for bottoming out on keys)

browns are a good mix of the two switches doe, almost same actuation force as reds but has a subtle bump with every key press (not as clacky as blues)
this is true, but this doesn't necessarily mean he should choose reds. Some people don't like the feel of reds, even if they are slightly easier to press.
Mathsma
I see it this way - blues for accuracy, browns for mixed accuracy/stamina, reds for stamina, blacks for speed. The tactile feedback on the blues allows you to control it better, same goes for browns but they have less resistance so they are a bit better for stamina. Reds have almost no resistance compared to other switches so they are great for streaming long periods of time. The stronger spring on the blacks helps reset the switch back to its default state quicker letting you stream faster, but a stronger spring means it harder to stream for a long time like reds.

In the end though it doesn't really matter. A switch plays a very small role in how well you do in this game. If you can't try a switch out, just pick whichever. There are plenty of amazing players who play with all different switch types. rrtyui uses blues, staiain uses browns (super fast streamer), thelewa uses reds, and jesse1412 uses blacks.
Noobsicle

Myke B wrote:

this is true, but this doesn't necessarily mean he should choose reds. Some people don't like the feel of reds, even if they are slightly easier to press.
i guess so. i should've mentioned that with reds you're more prone to accidental key presses, probably the reason why i chose browns over reds

Mathsma wrote:

I see it this way - blues for accuracy, browns for mixed accuracy/stamina, reds for stamina, blacks for speed.
blacks are great for stamina as well. for example after 1 year of playing with blacks, switching over to a lighter switch could result in the ability to stream for longer than usual (but that could be said the same with playing 1 year with rubber domes :x)
sstonn

Noobsicle wrote:

blacks are great for stamina as well. for example after 1 year of playing with blacks, switching over to a lighter switch could result in the ability to stream for longer than usual (but that could be said the same with playing 1 year with rubber domes :x)
I tried blacks for a day then went back to reds and found I couldn't stream as quickly.
Rewben2
red>brown>blue in my opinion

blacks are a heavy red, I would never get blacks over reds.
uzzi

YayMii wrote:

Actually, I'm going to side with you.

I've tried my friend's browns and reds. Honestly, browns just felt so much better, probably since I'm used to tactile feedback from my blues.
Topic Starter
Galagrawr
I've played around with blues lately, and I think they feel great, but y'all are saying reds are good.
Hopefully sometime I can get my hands on one so I can decide.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :D
Pizzicato

Galagrawr wrote:

I've played around with blues lately, and I think they feel great, but y'all are saying reds are good.
Hopefully sometime I can get my hands on one so I can decide.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :D
i haven't seen a person who asked for switch recommendations and chose blue in like forever

a bro <3
hehe

Noobsicle wrote:

Myke B wrote:

i guess so. i should've mentioned that with reds you're more prone to accidental key presses, probably the reason why i chose browns over reds

Mathsma wrote:

I see it this way - blues for accuracy, browns for mixed accuracy/stamina, reds for stamina, blacks for speed.
experiencing hell on streams here with blacks... hopefully when it gets worn out i can switch to reds. blacks are great for speed and accuracy, but damn anything more than 3 minutes and i start to get worn out.
aBunny
red switches are the only switches you need
buny

sarasseo wrote:

nobody needs any switches.
Rewben2

buny wrote:

sarasseo wrote:

nobody needs any switches.
Who even needs a keyboard
Mamoru Senpai

SloppySeal wrote:

reds
CaptainAhab_old
I use Cherry MX Browns and love them.
jesse1412
I would always choose blacks over red. I've had 2 black switch kbs and a red switch one /opinions. Reds are like the casual mans blacks.
haxsu
I have tried both MX blues and reds and honestly, I find them really overrated. Most people never seem to recommend browns.

My first mech keyboard was a red switch. After using it for two months, I realized that I did not like how at times, it was hard to tell if you hit a note or not. Based on that (and the fact that blacks were heavier then reds), I knew that I was not going to like the black switch so I got blues. I loved blues but after about a year of using it, I realized that it was not giving me the stamina that I needed to do really long streams. So then, I got browns. Best decision I have ever made. I use them to this day.

TL;DR: I see browns as the lighter blue. I enjoyed blue switches but I was not getting the extra stamina that I needed so I got browns and enjoyed it.

Moral of the story: It is best to try out different switches to see what is best for you. Do not get a switch just because some pro player uses it. Get one knowing that it will be the switch that will make you the best player you can be. If you are skeptical about which switch to get first and you have no where to go to test the switches yourself, I would buy an affordable blue switch keyboard because blue is the best for typing and that you can never go wrong with it other then the fact that it makes loud clicky noises.

I recommend brands from either CoolMaster or Razor (I like CoolMaster better). On top of that, I would also get this kit so that you can have all of the switches. Now, once you get those, go on Youtube and learn how to replace the switches so that you have all of the switches on your keyboard. It may require a desoldering iron though.

If you do not want to do all that then just get yourself a custom WASD keyboard and have it custom built to your liking with all the switches. It is expensive though.
Topic Starter
Galagrawr
Sounds great!

Thank you all for your feedback and your opinions, I took every single one into consideration. :)
Snepif

Mathsma wrote:

You speak the truth. I have blacks and I can't make good ACC on any map, except for really high BPM ones, unless I try reaaaaaaaally hard, like, I just can't make slow-paced songs really well... on the other hand, I can stream like 285 BPM without getting really tired. Oh and triplets are my curse...
On the other hand, when I tried my friend's blues, I could SS every stream and map xD
Purple
Browns are completely useless to me compared to reds. I hit the keys too hard for me to feel the tactical feedback and gain any advantage from it. So I use clears instead.
f i z i k

RIP wrote:

I loved blues but after about a year of using it, I realized that it was not giving me the stamina that I needed to do really long streams. So then, I got browns. Best decision I have ever made. I use them to this day.
Arent blues heavier than browns?
Gigo
This thread just goes to show that every person is different and there is no such thing as "universally best mechanical switch". What people can do is tell you the characteristics of different switches and share what's best for them. That may not be necessarily what's best for you too! Take all advices from this thread and figure out what may suit you best on your own. ;)
Arcanine
ugh browns (same as blues, just no loud clicky sound), reds for streaming (not really that great imo), blacks for sturdyness (feels like youre squishing a stiff marshmallow down)
buny

jesus1412 wrote:

I would always choose blacks over red. I've had 2 black switch kbs and a red switch one /opinions. Reds are like the casual mans blacks.
i miss my blacks
Koreh
I use blues
Guru
pink
red,brown,blue
just choose the one that fit you