forum

Nintendo Wii and DS online services discontinued

posted
Total Posts
show more
Trash Boat
Unfortunately, after some research, the rumors were true.
Text has collapsed here
Theres a DS emulator(desmume) that can access to nintendo wifi connection through an access point called SoftAP and with a special firmware, allowing them to interact with real DS consoles but not with other users of the same interface. Nintendo may have find that and decided to discontinue the wifi services
Apparently Nintendo is Capcom with MH3.
deadbeat

Stefan wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

you think i wasn't. nintendo can be greedy buggers :<
They unfortunally became that.
ChicagoTed
Aw goddamnit - I was going to get into Super Smash Bros. Brawl online q.q
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
Dammit, deadbeat >_>
Trash Boat

deadbeat wrote:

lol i'll order 20 of these right now
Sapphiire_old_1
*sigh* it's just fucked up
Trash Boat
it says its in May. uff i thought it was in March. its good to know that they give us some time
Ekaru

deadbeat wrote:

Trash Boat wrote:

there are rumors that another reason could be because they found a big flaw on the connection that allowed people to connect through virtual devices.
or my more favorite reason, force people to upgrade to the 3DS and purchase the newer games so nintendo get more money that they don't really need
They need all the money they can get right now, actually... Though this just pisses people off.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette
I'll just stick with lack of people on Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection since they're mostly on Nintendo Network now.
Stefan
I guess Satoru Iwata is just mad because he got hit by a blue shell in the online mode of Mario Kart Wii and so that he decide to shut down the Wi-Fi service. xD
Trash Boat

Stefan wrote:

I guess Satoru Iwata is just mad because he got hit by a blue shell in the online mode of Mario Kart Wii and so that he decide to shut down the Wi-Fi service. xD
what a bad loser XD.
DestinySonata
Oh, for some reason I thought it said 3DS, nearly freaked out.

And concerning that, will Pokemon Black / White 2 still be able to use the Pokemon Transporter? Considering it is still somewhat a DS online service.
Trash Boat
its wireless between consoles so yes
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Trash Boat wrote:

its wireless between consoles so yes
Wow, do you EVER actually look into Pokémon stuff fully? PokéTransporter is a service in conjunction with Pokémon Bank, both of which use an online connection with only ONE 3DS/2DS.

Anyway... as far as I know, B/W/B2/W2 will still be able to use it (it'd be extremely stupid otherwise), but obviously online trading/battling/downloading (Mystery Gift, Battle Videos, etc.) will be gone.
Trash Boat
ooooh PokéTransporter, i thought she meant PokéTransfer
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Trash Boat wrote:

ooooh PokéTransporter, i thought she meant PokéTransfer

DestinySonata wrote:

And concerning that, will Pokemon Black / White 2 still be able to use the Pokemon Transporter? Considering it is still somewhat a DS online service.
How did you even miss that...
Azure_Kite
Trash Boat, a general rule of thumb is that if you aren't sure about something, research it before offering an opinion. You do it too often and it makes you look rather silly the majority of the time.
Jarby
Kinda funny how entitled people are to expect a free service to be around seemingly forever. Pity that it's going, but it's hardly premature considering the consoles' successors have been out for several years already. I'm sure third party answers to online play will pop up in the near future anyway.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Azure_Kite wrote:

Trash Boat, a general rule of thumb is that if you aren't sure about something, research it before offering an opinion. You do it too often and it makes you look rather silly the majority of the time.
Entirely agree -_- *looks at the Pokémon threads*

Jarby wrote:

I'm sure third party answers to online play will pop up in the near future anyway.
Depends on how well the Wii U and 3DS will fare from now on...
Trash Boat
meanwhile, anyone is up for Brawl until the doomsday? I let my FC in a thread somewhere
mm201

Jarby wrote:

Kinda funny how entitled people are to expect a free service to be around seemingly forever. Pity that it's going, but it's hardly premature considering the consoles' successors have been out for several years already. I'm sure third party answers to online play will pop up in the near future anyway.
Pokémon Black & White 2 have barely been out more than a year (16 months), and many of the other games (notably the Mario Kart series) are still being sold.
EineKrone

Jarby wrote:

Kinda funny how entitled people are to expect a free service to be around seemingly forever. Pity that it's going, but it's hardly premature considering the consoles' successors have been out for several years already.
Dis. It's their right.
But they could make another way no? I mean, release patch so these services at least could work over the WiFi. Except if they do intend to kill these services so people can buy more 3DSs...

Jarby wrote:

I'm sure third party answers to online play will pop up in the near future anyway.
Isn't there a online service to play PSP games? Somenthing-kai... *browses bookmarks* XLink Kai is the service.
Maybe someone will make one for the 3DS, the original DS will probably have one as well for "nostalgia", "using again the old services", but I'm not sure how much people will prioritize it...
Azure_Kite

EineKrone wrote:

Dis. It's their right.
But they could make another way no? I mean, release patch so these services at least could work over the WiFi. Except if they do intend to kill these services so people can buy more 3DSs...
DS titles really don't have this kind of ability. That being said, it could be possible to emulate the online services via DNS rerouting to a third party service. As I recall, the Pokemon games have this sort of thing pretty much hammered out.
Topic Starter
NaomiMinette

Azure_Kite wrote:

DS titles really don't have this kind of ability. That being said, it could be possible to emulate the online services via DNS rerouting to a third party service. As I recall, the Pokemon games have this sort of thing pretty much hammered out.
Don't the Pokémon games only take advantage of GTS and Battle Videos, or am I missing something here?
Trash Boat
its not only Pokémon, Blaze
Azure_Kite

Blazevoir wrote:

Azure_Kite wrote:

Don't the Pokémon games only take advantage of GTS and Battle Videos, or am I missing something here?
That is the online content that they generate and make use of, yes. But it still makes use of the Nintendo Wifi Connection service. Online Compatible DS games are hardcoded to go to a specific Web Address for communication. There is no changing Web Address that except through ROM hacking. The workaround for that was to use a DNS server that makes that Web Address point to a completely different IP Address. This can be used for the Pokemon games, but it could be extended if somebody had the time.

The problem then would be to figure out how each game communicates with their online functionality. It was done with Pokemon because it's Pokemon. It could also be done for other games, if enough time were put into it.

For the sake of example, by making the fictional http://www.nintendo.com/wifiservice/metroidprimehunters point to a different IP address, if someone had the knowhow it would be possible to make a spoof Nintendo Wifi Connection Service that allowed Online gameplay.

http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/ is a project seeking recruitment for figuring out the connection methods for other games.
RemmyX25

ChicagoTed7172 wrote:

Aw goddamnit - I was going to get into Super Smash Bros. Brawl online q.q
You really aren't missing much. A lot of MetaKnight/ Ike spammers.
Trash Boat
dont forget Zelda. that air kick seems OHKO sometimes. along with Din's fire
Trash Boat
if they really care about us, their customers, they should do something like this: bring your Wii to a specific store and you'll get a Wii U with a discount. if they do, i highly recommend you to backup all your wii data to transfer it. unless, as deadbeat stated, they are such greed pots
deadbeat
lets look at it like this, did you really expect the online services for older products to be supported forever? sooner or later they were going to stop supporting it. if you really didn't expect this, then i'll be seriously amazed
Jarby

Trash Boat wrote:

if they really care about us, their customers, they should do something like this: bring your Wii to a specific store and you'll get a Wii U with a discount.
Second hand shops already do this, albeit typically at a price point that isn't any more worthwhile than just selling the console normally.
Trash Boat

deadbeat wrote:

lets look at it like this, did you really expect the online services for older products to be supported forever?
oh god no. its just that time passed too fast
deadbeat
it has been 3 years since the 3DS was released. games aren't even being made for the DS anymore. the DS has had it's time, and now it's over

EDIT: oops. 3 years, not 4
Azure_Kite
Well, if the age on your profile is anything to go by, the DS system first came out when you were 12 years old. I don't know about you, but 10 years is a pretty long time for an online service to be online for, specifically for one line of consoles.

Other consoles have had their online functionality removed for shorter lifespan.
deadbeat

Azure_Kite wrote:

Other consoles have had their online functionality removed for shorter lifespan.
inb4 x-box 360 and/or PS3 lose online support by the end of the year

EDIT: wow, according to wikipedia, the actual consoles were discontinued at the end of 2007
Trash Boat
well, there's always internet. that won't let us down. unless we are forced to buy Quantum computers
mm201

Azure_Kite wrote:

Well, if the age on your profile is anything to go by, the DS system first came out when you were 12 years old. I don't know about you, but 10 years is a pretty long time for an online service to be online for, specifically for one line of consoles.

mm201 wrote:

Pokémon Black & White 2 have barely been out more than a year (16 months), and many of the other games (notably the Mario Kart series) are still being sold.
If only we could somehow convince Nintendo to release their SSL key and direct their DNS to a fan server.
Trash Boat

mm201 wrote:

If only we could somehow convince Nintendo to release their SSL key and direct their DNS to a fan server.
i only have 10 bucks. just 999,999,999,990 remaining to make it possible
Azure_Kite

mm201 wrote:

Doesn't pretty much every game's interface with Nintendo WiFi Connection differ depending on developer whims? I am assuming that considering the GTS in the pokemon titles connects to WFC, and there are numerous DNS bypasses for that, that there are differences in online security between titles. If Nintendo were using a global SSL key to do that, then we wouldn't have the GTShax, right?
show more