forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Catch the Beat)

posted
Total Posts
show more
UsUTSuki

Bu Puppet wrote:

- Rii - wrote:

sometimes DT is even much harder than HR
^ Exactly
when The map is = AR10 but under its not Harder
-Ryuujii-
dt+ar8 and up is hard and more difficult than hr sometimes
TheVileOne
Just dropping in to say that a map shouldn't be unreasonably difficult to award pp. It needs to still allow pp for players of all skill levels and not only the ones who can play with hardrock.

Also adding too much of a weight for catching droplets in hidden could potentially make playing for pp not fun, because it is sometimes according to luck whether or not you catch droplets if you're not a pro player with hidden enabled. It wont be good if pp will become dependent on catching all the droplets.
- Rii -

UsUTSuki wrote:

u sure?
Drafura
Didn't really wanted to post here, but some posts here are missleading or not clear, so about modifiers in CtB:

In CtB modifiers are greatly related to approach rate and a bit to circle size, I'll describe how most players use them here (keep in mind that each player is different and I'm trying to get a general overview of how mods are used in most maps)

- Hidden:
  1. AR<=7: HD makes the map way harder to play and should deserve a significant bonus, sadly most AR<=7 maps are easy maps (especially converted ones).
  2. AR=8: HD start to be less annoying on most maps. It still deserve a significant bonus on hardest AR=8 maps but at this point a huge amount of players can easily play AR=8 maps with HD.
  3. AR=9: Most players will use HD on AR=9 maps cause it doesn't disturb them anymore, some players says that it actually help them to have HD in AR=9 maps. Most of those plays doesn't deserve any bonuses, however some AR=9 maps using complicated stream patterns would still be awarded by a bonus (the idea here is that HD on AR=9 helps a bit for huge jumps and make precise patterns like streams a bit more difficult)
  4. AR>=10: I think only 10-20 players in the world plays AR>=10 without HD. A HUGE amount of players will say that it's easier to play AR>=10 with HD. I don't think any bonuses should be deserved for most of those HD plays (Actually a malus would fit better but I think it's a bad idea since it will screw the map rankings)
- Flashlight:
  1. Most of FL plays are done in AR=8 mainly on stream maps. I don't know this mode well enough to say more about it.
- Hardrock:
  1. AR<7: HR would deserve a little bonus depending on the map difficulty.
  2. AR=7: HR start to have a huge effect on many players, clearly deserve a bonus but nothing really huge since most of those maps are pretty easy.
  3. AR>=8: Everything over this point should deserve a nice bonus depending on the map difficulty.
- Double Time:
  1. AR<=7: DT would deserve a little bonus depending on the map difficulty.
  2. AR=8: Here is the most complicated part. AR=8 maps with many 1/2-1/4 movements and/or really huge jumps and hyperdashes are most likely being harder with DT than with HR. However most AR=8 maps are still easier with DT than HR due to how they're mapped.
  3. AR=9: I actually don't know any AR=9 map being easier with HR than DT, those FC are rare, even clearing AR=9 maps with DT is challenging for most players. The FC's should get a significant reward since it shows the player capability of reading high speed AR, memorization and ryuuta control.
  4. AR>9: I don't know any player capable of reading this speed.
For mode combination in most case HR and DT adapt the AR for the other two modes (For example if you use DT and HD on AR=8 the description of AR8 DT is valid but for the HD part you'll have to use the description of AR9 since AR8+DT speed is closer to AR9 than AR8). A specific case exist with FL+HD where the player almost have to learn the entire map wich is obviously a really great challenge.

I don't know enough about Half Time and Easy modes. Only thing I can say here is that EZ+HD on hard maps are really challenging and should maybe work the same way of the other modifiers.

My thoughts about accuarcy in CtB: This is just a % of completion of the map, nothing related to the other game mode. Droplets are easy to miss and they don't even have hitsounds so you basically don't know when you're missing them. Any bonus or malus related to droplet misses should have a minor weight in the total calculation. However Zirox's calculation sounds good to detect on wich maps it could be more or less weighted.

Spinning well isn't given to all players and I think a fair calculation could be "more bananas = more weight in the global calculation". Being myself bad at spinning I think it's part of the CtB skills and this should be well rewarded in the global calculation.
TheVileOne
I use hidden, because it removes some of the clutter from the screen. I have trained myself to stare at the top half of the screen instead of the bottom half. It allows me to react quicker. It isn't by any means a cure all solution for all fast maps. I think this part is determined by skill level. When we can read the notes faster, then we can tackle faster patterns. When the patterns reach your skill boundary then hidden becomes much harder.

I prefer to play maps that I don't need to develop muscle memory to complete. I want to be able to follow the note path and respond to it as I go along. It is the maps that I cannot do this that are very difficult for me. Since hidden makes it more difficult to learn patterns of a map beyond a certain level and playing without hidden reduces my accuracy to hit patterns, I am left without any good options on how to learn this map. These are the maps that I expect pp from.

Even if we can say that the average person is capable of playing a map with hidden, the average person may not prefer to play a map with hidden. I would hate it if I worked hard to play a difficult map, and get nothing for it even though not many people have played that map with hidden or other mods. I mean I don't care if I don't get the pp of someone who uses the other mods which are more difficult, but I think I deserve something for placing relatively well compared to my peers in a hard map.
KinAce

DeathXHunter wrote:

After all there will be ppv2 hopefully,so the guys who say that the ranking should be removed just play for the fun and let the other guys discuss what should be considered in the upcoming system and not ask for removing it,lol.
+1
You were right :D
Topic Starter
Tom94
Hey everyone, I've got an initial iteration of the algorithm to show. Please remember to tell me which version you are talking about when giving feedback. Also please let me know which tuning seems the best to you. ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 3emc#gid=1
Drafura
"1.5 direction with converts" seems to actually work the best imo. But hard to say, there's so many maps.

Also some maps seems to get overrated on all versions, like "Can't Defeat Airman [Holy Shit! It's Airman!!]" and "Kokou no Sousei [Collab]".
TheVileOne

I have major issues with this. Big Black and Kokou no sousei are not even close to being equal in difficulty. The difference between 360 BPM and 240 BPM is huge. Big black is also AR 10 and Kokou no sousei maps (Chaos and Collab) are AR 9. Jump intensity is also a huge factor.

This issue affects both models.

I can't beat Chaos. Someone else could evaluate that difficulty and have a more accurate opinion .
Topic Starter
Tom94

TheVileOne wrote:

I have major issues with this. Big Black and Kokou no sousei are not even close to being equal in difficulty. The difference between 360 BPM and 240 BPM is huge. Big black is also AR 10 and Kokou no sousei maps (Chaos and Collab) are AR 9. Jump intensity is also a huge factor.

I can't beat Chaos. Someone else could evaluate that difficulty and have a more accurate opinion .
Referring to the "Chaos" diff:
First of all, simply taking the BPM does not work well. The big black mostly has 1/1 and 1/2 notes while kokou no sousei mostly consists of 1/2 and 1/4 notes, essentially making it closer to 480 BPM if you want to directly compare it to the big black.

Secondly AR is not factored into the difficulty algorithm. It will play a big role when computing pp, but it is not considered for beatmap difficulty / star rating.

My last point is, that the scoreboards indicate, that kokou no sousei is not very much easier than the big black.

The "Collab" diff of kokou no sousei definitely is a lot easier than the big black and should not be on par. It has a few hard parts but is mostly easy. Will look into that one.
Rorona

Tom94 wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

First of all, simply taking the BPM does not work well. The big black mostly has 1/1 and 1/2 notes while kokou no sousei mostly consists of 1/2 and 1/4 notes, essentially making it closer to 480 BPM if you want to directly compare it to the big black.

Secondly AR is not factored into the difficulty algorithm. It will play a big role when computing pp, but it is not considered for beatmap difficulty / star rating.

My last point is, that the scoreboards indicate, that kokou no sousei is not very much easier than the big black.

The "Collab" diff of kokou no sousei definitely is a lot easier than the big black and should not be on par. It has a few hard parts but is mostly easy. Will look into that one.
IMO Big Black is still harder because it's AR10 instead of AR 9, and the patterns seem slightly easier. The only way it could be worth more is if you account that Kokou no Sousei is about 2 times longer.
Topic Starter
Tom94

Rorona wrote:

IMO Big Black is still harder because it's AR10 instead of AR 9, and the patterns seem slightly easier. The only way it could be worth more is if you account that Kokou no Sousei is about 2 times longer.
As said before, AR does not count for the difficulty calculated thus far. And map length indeed is factored in.
Luna
I'm by no means a good CtB player, so I can't really give feedback on the current difficulty ranking, but I'd be interested in seeing your alogrithm's opinions on these two maps:
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=25580&m=2
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=93893&m=2

Both of these use a special kind of pattern that is extremely hard to play but doesn't rely on big or fast jumps, so I think your difficulty calculation method might possibly underrate these?
VelperK

Tom94 wrote:

Rorona wrote:

As said before, AR does not count for the difficulty calculated thus far. And map length indeed is factored in.
Is this the same in standard?

And if so, how come?
Topic Starter
Tom94

VelperK wrote:

Is this the same in standard?

And if so, how come?
Yeah, it is the same in standard. Mainly because it doesn't really connect well with something like "aim" or "speed". Secondly there are many varying opinions - some people saying AR10 would be easier than 9 and others telling me the opposite.
It is factored in for pp calculations, so don't worry about that part.
eldnl

Luna wrote:

I'm by no means a good CtB player, so I can't really give feedback on the current difficulty ranking, but I'd be interested in seeing your alogrithm's opinions on these two maps:
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=25580&m=2
https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=93893&m=2

Both of these use a special kind of pattern that is extremely hard to play but doesn't rely on big or fast jumps, so I think your difficulty calculation method might possibly underrate these?
Yes, they're hard.
Kitokofox

Kitokofox wrote:

So, I ended up sharing this to Tom94. I want to see everyone's honest and unbiased opinions.

Kitokofox wrote:

Catch The Beat calculation methods

Catch The Beat is different in multiple ways, by how jumps work and how streams work, mostly. Playing on a 2D plane is a lot diffrent from standard osu!, along with the predefined movement speeds of the catcher. Thus, skill based calculations based on the limitations of Ryuuta among other things must be taken in account for.

There are some main factors which determine how difficult a map is for Catch The Beat:
Map Settings This goes back to the basics.
- Approach rate: This should be documented in difficulty by the actual drop rate of the fruits. This also gives AR10 the much needed skill requirement it actually calls for.
- Fruit Size: This is pretty obvious. The smaller the fruits, the harder they are to catch accurately. Skill requirement is based on the field in which you can actually catch the fruit, rather than the size itself.
- Overall Difficulty: I don't know how this is handled in the map, but as far as I know it only affects the HP loss when missing. I don't think that applies too much to skill, but for players who can just barely pass a song, this would come into play.
- HP Drain Rate: Same as above, only comes into play for those barely making a map.
Beat Placement Factors based on the placement of sliders and circles themselves
- Movement: How much the catcher needs to move to catch the fruits. In stream maps like Marisa Stole the Precious Thing, this would become classified as less difficult since you don't have to click and simply inch the catcher, where in the system used for standard, it would be classified as difficult otherwise.
- Jumpiness: This is the general distance between beats, based on how fast the catcher must move. This also applied to sliders and their slider ticks. This also heightens more based on the general theta of jumps in a row (especially hyperdashes in a row) What I mean by theta of jumps in a row, as in a map with periodic jumps is probably more difficult than one with one part of it having multiple in a row (This sort of compares and contrasts between kinds of jumps and what kind of skill and perseverance is required to acquire a good score) Also, generally, faster hyperdashes are harder to chain off of, e.g. Can't Defeat Airman!.
- Speed: This is how fast the catcher needs to move around in succession. This would rate maps like val0108's Talent Shredder or With A Dance Number as high skill examples for this sector, mainly because of how fast the catcher needs to switch one direction to another and how fast of fingers the player needs.
- Long jumps: Originally pixel jumps, these are jumps that are enough for the catcher to reach with the new hyperdash system, but still require precision placement to catch, as well as timing. An example can be seen in Wild Eyes [JAMES DIFFICULTY!!!] As it has long but viable jumps.
Mode Specifics and Other Stuff
- Mode Specific Maps: Don't need to be buffed. They are probably already difficult as it is with the algorithm that's in place. Plus, it was set this way to entice players to play those maps. This pp system focuses on the player's skill, and tries to measure the skill needed for each beatmap, so making bonuses of that sort is incorrect to ranking..
- Fruits before and after spinners: The time before spinners and after spinners doesn't need to be checked because of how bananas aren't necessary to a full combo.
- Accuracy: In general, accuracy is easier to come by in Catch The Beat, and as such, changes may be made accordingly.
Pretty sure I gave this to Tom94 earlier. I hope this better explains my full intent of CtB and it's performance point calculation.
VelperK

Tom94 wrote:

TheVileOne wrote:

what kind of proof do i have to provide to refute this argument?
TheVileOne
Both are pretty difficult. The extra AR makes it more difficult for me, but I guess it could be seen as easier or harder depending on how well trained your eyes are at reading fast scroll speeds. AR 9 gives you more time (might be a placebo effect) to read the objects. Sometimes it is the case that if you need to read the objects as they are scrolling, you are already taking too much time to hit them correctly.

There are more red fruit jumps in Chaos and it is the longer map, which makes it easier to make a mistake over the course of the run. I'm not sure how the pros consider red fruits in terms of difficulty compared to awkward patterns. Some awkward patterns are more frame perfect than 99% of red fruit jumps.

Do you value hyperdash jumps as more difficult than large jumps that are not hyperdashed? Hypers can be very easy, even the very far ones. They get more difficult when you have to chain them. 1/4th hypers tend to be more precise than 1/2th.
Yukiteru Amano
Just a bit curious but, is there any date estimated for this to be done?
autofanboy
IMO, just DON'T make ctb diffs give too many pp.
-Ryuujii-
Why can't you guys just be patient lol xD
VelperK
Laharl

-Ryuujii- wrote:

Why can't you guys just be patient lol xD
Zak
It's out when it's out, deal with it.
eldnl

alienflybot wrote:

IMO, just DON'T make ctb diffs give too many pp.
This, please, a system bases on real difficulty wouln't need this.
lineqtxz
i got 200 pp today :D new system so op
Seph

I'm totally fine with Airman (jumpy) and No Pain, No gain aho diff (insanely long sliders, jumpy that makes it hard to fc) on top performance but astrosexy? and Illumiscape and Ridorii aren't even FCs, yet they are there.

VelperK wrote:

Boom

LOVE & ROLL (isn't FC) > God only knows (FC) ???
and CTB diffs are too overrated. :o
-Ryuujii-

Seph wrote:

I'm totally fine with Airman (jumpy) and No Pain, No gain aho diff (insanely long sliders, jumpy that makes it hard to fc) on top performance but astrosexy? and Illumiscape and Ridorii aren't even FCs, yet they are there.
So ar10 maps > lower ar maps? Hm..
-PM-
There are need to be more change.
Only so few maps are big pp maps. Standard of giving pp is too much towards on few factors. Accordingly, if we just played the pp maps, we can farming many pp even though not FCed or cleared with Easy mods (EZ, HT, NF). If you want, i can post the examples of the maps too! It is worst than ppv1...
And still many CTB maps are overrated in performances!
Skills to Minority Extra map or CTB maps is not skill of all. There are lot of variations.
But i know this ppv2 is not finally decided yet. So i hope to renewing ppv2 consistently.
Constantine
priority seems more legit this time lol

why does non FC map appear on top ranks?
Also for normal diff with HR, and FL (1 miss)

Then another hard

pls

Edit: i guess FC doesn't matter

best performance is marked base on your stability and "performance", thought some maps is still not FC-able / Hard to FC, like Rainbow Dash or Kirby mix Deluxe.
Kitokofox

-Ryuujii- wrote:

Seph wrote:

So ar10 maps > lower ar maps? Hm..
Yes, because AR10 is 1.5x faster than AR9, and AR9 is 1.5x faster than AR8, and etc
so, technically, since you have that less reaction time, AR10 is excessively difficult, much like how much more difficult CS10 is than CS9, and to CS8, and etc.
It's just all game elements that don't appear to make a huge impact, but they really do when you get it to the highest difficulty of these effects.

petiskacang wrote:

priority seems more legit this time lol

why does non FC map appear on top ranks?
Also for normal diff with HR, and FL (1 miss)

Then another hard

pls

Edit: i guess FC doesn't matter

best performance is marked base on your stability and "performance", thought some maps is still not FC-able / Hard to FC, like Rainbow Dash or Kirby mix Deluxe.
FC shouldn't have to matter too much (Although, it does give a tiny boost) It's more based on score and accuracy than anything now, mostly because of the fact that the only thing that slowly increases when you get better is the accuracy itself. (I feel combo has a somewhat important saying matter in there too)

FC only mattered because often FC means getting good rankings. It's more of "This is the difficulty, how much of the difficulty can you do?" And that's pretty much how pp goes.

It no longer focuses on other players. It tallies up how well YOU do, then compares that tally to others.
Topic Starter
Tom94

-PM- wrote:

There are need to be more change.
Only so few maps are big pp maps. Standard of giving pp is too much towards on few factors. Accordingly, if we just played the pp maps, we can farming many pp even though not FCed or cleared with Easy mods (EZ, HT, NF). If you want, i can post the examples of the maps too! It is worst than ppv1...
And still many CTB maps are overrated in performances!
Skills to Minority Extra map or CTB maps is not skill of all. There are lot of variations.
But i know this ppv2 is not finally decided yet. So i hope to renewing ppv2 consistently.
You can't farm the hard pp maps without close-to-fc scores, let alone with easy mods. It would be nice if you could provide examples of where such things are possible.
Zak
This system may not be perfect yet, but it's at least starting to go in the right direction, you guys need to chill and give it time to improve.
Topic Starter
Tom94

Zak wrote:

This system may not be perfect yet, but it's at least starting to go in the right direction, you guys need to chill and give it time to improve.
Don't worry, the only way for me to know what to improve is listening to the complaints. I don't play CtB myself after all. ;)
DakkyChan
How can be Zak rank 8 XDDDDD
[Super Shock]_old

DakkyChan wrote:

How can be Zak rank 8 XDDDDD
How can DakkyChan rang 15....
show more