forum

Would like some tips

posted
Total Posts
show more
Aqo

asmit10 wrote:

Anyone have any tips for this, besides just "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE"?
Try asking for help on the forums maybe it will help you improve
Weed
think
Gigo
asmit10, here's what you should have done: before posting a thread asking for advice, you should have taken a scan around the forums, especially right here in Gameplay & Rankings. Because there are million threads like yours! Seriously, look at the last 5 pages and count how many threads there are where people are asking for general advice on how to get better. There is a sticky thread named "How to improve at osu" (t/99612)! Everything you need is there - tips, tricks, map recommendations... everything! Despite the existence of that thread, this subforum still gets flooded with retarded topics like yours, just because for some unknown reason, PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO SEARCH. Every possible thing that you can ask for has already been answered - all you have to do is find it!

Ok, all of you greenhorns want advice, here's the best advice anyone will ever give you - PLAY THE GAME! Literally all that you need is experience! No specific tips for mods, no specific tips for streams, no specific tips for jumps, no specific tips for low AR, no specific tips for high AR... JUST PLAY! Don't ask, don't talk, don't cry, JUST PLAY!!!
Blueprint
On triple's and streams you could play maps with a lot of bursts, over the past week I've improved on them but I guess
it just so happens every map I play has them.

I suppose I could quote over people I just play.
buny
You don't improve by practicing idiot

you improve by asking stupid and pointless questions
[ Stellar ]
Just play more.
Seeing as you only have 2.4k play count, you lack the experience to be a skilled player.
Keep playing different beatmaps around your level range, and then something will eventually 'click'.
Noobsicle
1. don't bother playing maps you can't read or pass, keep playing normals/hards until you can fc them with 97%+ accuracy
2. just singletap
3. focus on rhythm, time your hits better, get better accuracy and don't button mash when you see a lot of notes in one place or someshii-.

just play more and don't worry about ranks, worry more about trying to improve

the only way to learn the mods is to play them
Almost

Noobsicle wrote:

1. don't bother playing maps you can't read or pass, keep playing normals/hards until you can fc them with 97%+ accuracy
2. just singletap
3. focus on rhythm, time your hits better, get better accuracy and don't button mash when you see a lot of notes in one place or someshii-.

Don't do 1 because you improve slower doing that and only do number 2 if it feels natural for you.
buny
everything here is wrong, play less because playing more hinders your skills

that's why cookiezi quit, because he didn't want to hinder his skill anymore and let rrtyui beat him.
Myke B

buny wrote:

everything here is wrong, play less because playing more hinders your skills

that's why cookiezi quit, because he didn't want to hinder his skill anymore and let rrtyui beat him.
exactly - that's why Cookiezi is still considered the best of all time, because he stopped as the best, and everyone is still playing and getting worse.
GoldenWolf
Who?
Topic Starter
gamestonk
SPOILER

Noobsicle wrote:

2. just singletap

I'm bad but i'm not so bad to the point where I have to play normals. When i'm playing for fun I play hards / VERY VERY VERY low level insanes.

I don't see why I would single tap, either. Single tapping is un-natural to me and I have to actually force myself to do so. I've had the key overlay open when doing songs lately and i've noticed that it's normally 55/45% or better in terms of alternating, and that's just natural.

Yeah I need to work on #3, I tend to button mash when I see a long stack/stream of notes.

I saw one thread for beginners, but I feel as though that's not aimed at someone of my skill level. Not that i'm trying to be egotistical, I know I suck, but easy maps seem too easy to help me...
I will admit, though, that I was lazy. I posted the thread and then went to play Osu! in hopes of being handed advice, guess i'll do research next time instead of posting a thread asking for help. If I do make a thread asking for help, i'll make sure to cite every source that i've checked so you know i've at least put effort into researching my question before daring to ask it on the forums.

I would (further) respond to the sarcasm and argue about what I consider a "good" player as; but I feel as though that wouldn't get me anywhere and i'd be much better off playing Osu! (as most of you have suggested).
kevpwns

Myke B wrote:

I'm sorry, but you're not even close to semi-decent (I'm not either, so don't take offence). This game is extremely simple - like stupid simple. If you want to get better at streaming - you stream more. If you want better accuracy - play slower songs, and focus on hitting the hitcircle as soon as the approach circle reaches it.

I know practicing helps
It is literally the only thing.

This isn't an issue now, but it may be when I play HR/DT when going for high ranks on maps
Why are you playing HR/DT when you have like 27 fcs. Why are you trying to go for high ranks, when that isn't even possible.

I notice that my accuracy is REALLY REALLY low compared to people near my ranking
explain to me how 91% is "REALLY REALLY" low compared to 93-95% especially at that level, where one song can increase your acc by like 5%. Don't compare yourself to others, because everyone moves at their own pace.

I'd also like advice on all mods, please
No you don't. Don't even look at mods.
sorry if it seems a bit rough to you, but what myke said here is exactly right. And if you want tips the answer is to just play and to stop making posts about "i need help/tips etc." because there are already a million out there and it has been answered thousands of times
Rewben2

GoldenWolf wrote:

Who?
You don't know cookiezi? He was the greatest piano composer of all time, unfortunately he went deaf and had to stop.

On topic: You're extremely far away from competing for high ranks on songs, a lot of people who have played a lot more than yourself are still far away from being able to compete for high ranks. Don't get impatient, if you actually want to become a good enough player that can compete for high scores you will need to play a lot for a long time and not give up because you aren't where you want to be. For the time being, just play random songs that you find difficult but aren't easy to you, this will help you improve in most aspects (aim/accuracy/speed). You shouldn't worry about training specific things such as streaming yet, you've still got to get better at the basics.

Also the hit accuracy is a meaningless stat on its own, you're probably just playing harder songs than people that are a similar rank to you (You have insanes/hards on your top performance, so this is likely true).
Soarezi

Rewben2 wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

Who?
You don't know cookiezi? He was the greatest piano composer of all time, unfortunately he went deaf and had to stop.
I thought he had a leg cramp and he had to quit because of that
GoldenWolf

Rewben2 wrote:

What a scrub, this guy must've never heard of Beethoven.
Blueprint
Check out rainfire's profile page for some maps to try out if you want to focus on a specific skill other than that, I just play multi player I can't be specific on what I play but.... My osu sessions last longer, when I play solo I tend to /ragequit and go watch anime.
Akali

Soarezi wrote:

No, he quit because Andrea spread an eye disease that caused lack of competition in Stacraft II
jesse1412

Akali wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

No, he quit because Andrea spread an eye disease that caused lack of competition in Stacraft II
Are you sure he didn't quit because he fced scarlet rose and there was nothing left for him to do?
Myke B
I though it was because he got deported back to Canada
Purple

Myke B wrote:

oh.. oh snap!
Myke B

Purple wrote:

Myke B wrote:

oh.. oh snap!
Zakdawg
You need to listen to Scarlet Rose while not playing the game.

That way you will build up a lot of skills which you can then release when you come back to the game.
Karote
Completely unrelated to the thread but is it possible to see what AR beatmap has?
bmp doesn't make much sense to me.
dennischan

Soarezi wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

Cookiezi is the supreme overlord of osu.
He clicks circles for our sins,
and he grants osu players the cookie spirirt which helps improve our aim.
CookChefSteak
it's a game
play it
Rewben2

Karote wrote:

Completely unrelated to the thread but is it possible to see what AR beatmap has?
bmp doesn't make much sense to me.
You can go into editor to see the AR of a song.

All songs are mapped to a bpm (beats per minute, pretty self explanatory what that means) and then the notes of a song are related to that timing (1/4 of 200bpm, 1/2 of 200bpm, etc).
Chinala
Play lots and lots, eventually you'll get better. Challenge yourself, play maps you can barely play and remember to have fun :D
tokaku
this
I also wonder why people haven't bothered to use a search engine when the stickied thread didn't answer their questions.
Topic Starter
gamestonk
Updated original post with

SPOILER
I can't stream. It's not that i'm bad at streaming, I literally can't. I don't understand it. I have the hit accuracy bar enabled, and I try to slow down when it says i'm too early and I try to speed up when it says i'm too late, but I just DON'T UNDERSTAND STREAMING. It's now to the point to where it's stopping me from doing certain songs; like literally the only thing stopping me, even though the rest of the song is within my skill level. I would love literally any advice you could possibly give relating to streams, not including "practice", because I can't practice something that I just don't understand.
I appreciate all advice given so far, even people just saying "practice" cause it turns out, you're right, after 700ish extra songs, I noticed improvement on the topics I wanted help on. However, I still can't stream.
Akali

asmit10 wrote:

However, I still can't stream.
Just keep playing, 700 is not much. I guess you could try to find stream practice maps and grind them (starting on very low bpms) but it's so anti-fun that I don't think it's worth it.
Topic Starter
gamestonk

Akali wrote:

asmit10 wrote:

However, I still can't stream.
Just keep playing, 700 is not much. I guess you could try to find stream practice maps and grind them (starting on very low bpms) but it's so anti-fun that I don't think it's worth it.

Stream practice maps don't translate very well to real maps of my skill level. It's also incredibly inconsistent. I can get 1/3 of the way through a 160 BPM map, 1/2 way through a 180 BPM map, and it changes every time. Yet there's still a few insane songs where I instantly fail at the stream.
Akali
It's not about passing but hitting all the notes. You get through further because they probably have 0 drain. If you care so much, start with really slow bpm like 120 even and move up.

Or just pick maps without long streams for now and try to enjoy the game and music.
Noobsicle
buny

Noobsicle wrote:

he's playing night of knights in his head
phoenny
theres a secret how to get pro... but psst dont tell ANYONE..

JUST QUIT THIS GAME.
Topic Starter
gamestonk

phoenny wrote:

JUST QUIT THIS GAME.
I'll quit when my skill plateaus for 1~ month, assuming i'm not a high rank when that happens.
Purple

asmit10 wrote:

phoenny wrote:

JUST QUIT THIS GAME.
I'll quit when my skill plateaus for 1~ month, assuming i'm not a high rank when that happens.
Your skill doesn't always progress in a linear fashion, sometimes you just get a skill boost and instantly get better for no reason.