forum

Hr and high difficulty maps.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Blueprint
Assuming you can read high AR and react, aren't some of the harder maps in this game easier with HR?
It seems like a silly question, but around what I'm saying I would think some people would opt to do certain maps
with out HR just for show rather than the score.

I cannot name specific maps because it's not like I play them often, I just watch some replays.

What I'm trying to make of this is If I were that good a player I would try to fc this map which is easier with Hr with no mods,
and aim for the top 50 rather than #1 with HD HR
Almost
If your reading sucks that much then it would make it easier, but HR makes the song harder in other aspects which makes it more difficult to rank high with.
Soulg
it can be easier to FC but it will almost always be harder to get good accuracy at least
-Soba-

Almost wrote:

If your reading sucks that much then it would make it easier, but HR makes the song harder in other aspects which makes it more difficult to rank high with.
Just because you find ar10 easier to read than ar9 doesnt mean your reading sucks. What if you can play both fine but find ar10 a bit easier.
Myke B
Yea, HR doesn't just increase AR.
Almost

-Soba- wrote:

Almost wrote:

Just because you find ar10 easier to read than ar9 doesnt mean your reading sucks. What if you can play both fine but find ar10 a bit easier.
I already know that AR10 songs can be as difficult to read as AR9 but the smaller circle size also makes it easier to read. The smaller circle size would also make HR a bit more difficult to play because more aim is required. As such, it's only easier to add HR if you have the aim but your reading isn't as good.
buny
hr is free points on easy maps, and random miss fiesta on harder maps
(though personally i can't play atama no taisou or scarlet rose without hr)
Topic Starter
Blueprint

buny wrote:

hr is free points on easy maps, and random miss fiesta on harder maps
(though personally i can't play atama no taisou or scarlet rose without hr)
maps like that ^^ just randomly just now #112088 before and now #108817
after failing the hell out of this song :S http://puu.sh/6TqU8.osr
Zakdawg
Lots of "good" players can not play anything below AR9. Thankfully for them if they have the accuracy they can just turn on HR.

Fixed
Soulg

Zakdawg wrote:

Lots of good players can not play anything below AR9. Thankfully for them if they have the accuracy they can just turn on HR.
if they can't play below AR9 then they arent really good players
Myke B

Soulg wrote:

Zakdawg wrote:

Lots of good players can not play anything below AR9. Thankfully for them if they have the accuracy they can just turn on HR.
if they can't play below AR9 then they arent really good players
RaneFire

Zakdawg wrote:

Lot's of good players don't play anything below AR9. Sure they can, they just need to sit down and play it for longer than 5 minutes. They just never do.

Generally maps made for AR8 are given such an AR because they are either slower, don't have similar note densities or complicated patterns/jumps as AR9 maps do, because these things make a higher AR appropriate to reduce the number of overlaps. Considering this, it automatically makes HR viable on most AR8 maps and so it hardly gets played.

Let's also not forget DT is also used mostly on AR8 maps, and under, too. Even less AR8 happening. AR9+DT is much harder.
Ekaru

Zakdawg wrote:

You're mixing up "good players" with "frauds", sir.
Soulg

RaneFire wrote:

Zakdawg wrote:

Lot's of good players don't play anything below AR9. Sure they can, they just need to sit down and play it for longer than 5 minutes. They just never do.

Generally maps made for AR8 are given such an AR because they are either slower, don't have similar note densities or complicated patterns/jumps as AR9 maps do, because these things make a higher AR appropriate to reduce the number of overlaps. Considering this, it automatically makes HR viable on most AR8 maps and so it hardly gets played.

Let's also not forget DT is also used mostly on AR8 maps, and under, too. Even less AR8 happening. AR9+DT is much harder.
it's not that they "do", it's that they "can"

rrtyui plays with EZ all the time, it shows the ability to actually read a map and not just react to the circles
Zakdawg

RaneFire wrote:

I would disagree. Especially among the newer people (1-2 years) can't read AR8 for shit.
Example a simple map as https://osu.ppy.sh/b/87369
RaneFire

Zakdawg wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

I would disagree. Especially among the newer people (1-2 years) can't read AR8 for shit.
Can you elaborate on this "for shit?" Are they just not FC'ing it in their first play, or are they getting B's and C's?

I think people should understand that just because people can read AR10, does not mean that AR8 just gets infinitely easier. It's only an AR. IMO if you can read both, it should be the same, but it's worse due to overlaps at lower AR's which makes you rely on the approach circle to "see" a note. If you look at it objectively from this viewpoint, then AR8 does get slightly harder as you become able to process information faster, and have to now consider additional information you would otherwise not need at AR10. Would you read a book slower on purpose, just for fun?

There's also some things about the human brain that I'd rather not go into detail on, but basically the point is that you need strive "for more" to get the same feeling or experience you once had, otherwise you get bored and your brain does not involve itself fully (derp mode), and it's why video games can be classed as an addiction, since this is a similarity it shares with drugs, and even coffee... I know Aqo coined this "planning ahead" thing, but I really don't know if it's actually important, since it's like lagging your brain on purpose and instead "artificially stimulating" it by changing your focus on a different mechanic of the game that is not really needed during normal play.
For example: People who read lower AR's focus only on the immediate next note, instead of reading patterns as a whole. This is NOT planning ahead... actually it's trying to achieve a similar thing to what people do at AR10... except by IGNORING the extra information on screen, as opposed to reacting to the new. Sure there's a bit of linking up going on, but reading EZ mod is the extreme case of finding the smallest approach circles in sequence, and the only thing that could be called "planning ahead."

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this, because it gets my goat, as I've been learning to read AR10 and found some things in my play changing subtly, even after years of playing AR7/8/9.

I've always wondered about this whole "low AR vs high AR" thing. Every other rhythm game allows users to select their AR, and what do they do? They set it at lightning fast speed and no one says anything about skill. Sure, side-scrolling and top-scrolling games are slightly different, but reading multiple stacked approach circles does indeed share a similarity.

Also... this is indeed a likely possiblity:

Ekaru wrote:

Zakdawg wrote:

You're mixing up "good players" with "frauds", sir.
Ekaru

Zakdawg wrote:

That map's not that hard to read... EDIT: Of course I can't get higher than like a B but that's because I suck at actually playing this game. I'm never confused when playing it. I just can't execute things.
buny
JUST because you can't big black on ar0 doesn't mean you can't read low ar

A map should have a sensible ar that accompanies the tempo of the music, you SHOULDN'T see ar8 on a fast tempo'd map, otherwise the map is shit. ar should be something that scales up depending on how fast the beat is.

It's like adding stupid ass full screen jumps on a song like this; with that ar and the song tempo, it seriously isn't a good combination. If you told somebody to express their feeling by using hand gesture while listening to this song, they won't wave their hands everywhere.

Also, there is a difference between map ar, and that is that hards tend to have ar8 and below and insanes will have ar9 and above (for reasons stated before), thus means that most players playing insane are already past the phase of playing ar8 and below because they're only playing insanes, and there are nearly no difficult maps on an insane difficulty at low ar.

And before you mention that old maps use low ar to try disprove me, please keep in mind that those maps have:
1. bad timing
2. use ds 1x nearly all the time
3. have nearly no creativity in the patterns they use - if they use any at all
4. generally bad to play anyways

Since then, mapping has evolved a lot from just turning distance spacing on and sticking circles to a metronome, and a lot more favourable maps are the maps that recently come out in the past few years.