forum

Mirror Mod and Near poetic reasons implementation is a must.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +957
Topic Starter
Raiku
[Mirror Mod 2014]

NixXSkate recently came up with a few solid reasons why we think a mirror mod should be implemented:

It is our reasonable judgement that compelled us to request the implementation of a mirror mod to flip the play-field vertically, (not the direction of hardrock which is horizontal) for the following reasons!

[The Compelling Argument]

1. Some people who have difficulty with certain patterns use certain sides of their brains to overcome them. This use of each side is apparent in the directions people spin, those who spin right predominantly use their right half to calculate and left use left etc. (Note: this is only my theoretical thinking, not based on solid research conducted by I.)

So using this knowledge, lets apply it to the well known pesky cyclones, some people naturally find clockwise rotating cyclones manageable or certain directions of triangles more comfortable, so with the implementation of a mirror mod we could allow for players to choose which direction of patterns they want, (Obviously the bonus for the selection of this mod would remain at x1.00).

2. Tilt. Rote Memory. Whatever pet name you have for this phenomenon that causes the player to lose focus after so many repetitive tries, nothing beats the ability to vertically flip your play-field to give that much needed brain refreshment.

One could argue however, that flipping the play-field creates a new view that the mapper didn't intend on creating. If that is so, why does hardrock pose the need to flip its play-field then? Mix and match. Mix and match, it creates diversity which is what osu! is famed for and compels people to play as they have for years.

And finally...

[Thought Provoking Outro]

3. Even though this has been suggested before, the requests prior to this avoided aformentioned details of its importance and application, and skirted briefly into why they thought it would be 'cool' and 'nice'. Felt like complaints more than solid reasons why we think a mirror mod would be a fantastic, diverse and exciting new feature.

I urge the majority of you to share our common view about this because the main thing NixXSkate and I were looking for was to create diversity and comfort for everyone involved in osu! Note that the idea here is not to make maps easier for everyone, but simply provide an alternative route around a problem based on the way people feel comfortable solving them!

On a plus note for those photoshop savvy, I'm looking forward to seeing your ideas for the Mirror Mod icon! Stylize and be creative with your ideas! Post it in the forum for all to 'reflect' upon.

Again, this is basic stuff and I'm certain the idea has floated between staff members before, regardless, I'd like to hear as much feedback as possible regarding a Mirror Mod 2014 (MM14 woo!)

p.s. After feedback I am backing the idea of unranked or x0.90 implementation. This idea does serve purpose as a fitting purveyor of variety.
dkun
JAKA just explained this to me.

You have my support on this!
JAKACHAN
Support!
buny
so essentially you have a way to make the map possibly easier, with no score reduction?
Primula_old
Support+ >w<!!
Toshi-Kun
Support desu~ :)

(If I know how to throw stars in. :< :? )
Topic Starter
Raiku

buny wrote:

so essentially you have a way to make the map possibly easier, with no score reduction?
Very valid point!

In essence the aim again, isn't to provide shortcuts but simply to provide a mirrored alternative (ha ha) to the situation based upon how they feel comfortable.

Point being, you aren't FORCED to spin clockwise, so people choose to spin anticlockwise because they feel more 'comfortable' doing so. My idea essentialy follows the same principle! :)

(wont somebody PLEASE think of the lefties!)
Coffee Hero
Support, I would love to see this.
Full Tablet
This would make the game a bit more fair IMO. For example: Right bottom corner to left upper corner jumps are bit more harder than left bottom corner to right upper corner jumps, and if I was a left-handed, the situation would probably be reversed (so some maps would be a bit easier for right-handed people than left-handed people, or vice-versa).
Lolzy

Full Tablet wrote:

This would make the game a bit more fair IMO. For example: Right bottom corner to left upper corner jumps are bit more harder than left bottom corner to right upper corner jumps, and if I was a left-handed, the situation would probably be reversed (so some maps would be a bit easier for right-handed people than left-handed people, or vice-versa).
I can't do right bottom->left up jumps and i find really easy left bottom->right up jumps and i'm right handed lol
Esti
Can follow reasoning, will back. Mod icon preview soon please :D
Alternative
Oh~~
That's an interesting idea!
I'll support!
thelewa
I used to have a lot of trouble with patterns that didn't flow in the same direction that I spin in, but then I worked on it a lot and got equally good at both flow directions

this mod would nullify most of my efforts and if I could do it then most probably anyone could do it, this just sounds like a way for lazy people to skip that extra practice

the same goes for losing focus with the more you play a map, you can even get better at that with practice

you can fix everything you pointed out with practice

0/5

Full Tablet wrote:

it would not make the game more fair since even right now there is no significant advantage as to what hand you use to aim with or what direction you spin towards

and even those slight differences that you've pointed out can be evened out with practice
Topic Starter
Raiku
Hey thelewa!

I wholeheartedly agree and almost feel like some serious thought could go into the idea of providing an altered bonus weighting behind the mod.

In any other case, I still feel that the good outweighs the bad in this situation and it DOES benefit players. Not just that, this practice you talk of can be replicated on a map you love and have patterns you are comfortable with: Simply play the map you love but with the Mirror mod, this way you can get used to patterns involving opposite flow, then apply said practice to maps you aren't so familiar with!

Also, what we DO have to remember is not everyone is as well practiced as you! D'you see where i'm coming from? The idea (while still a concept) surrounding this mod is so versatile!

Would you be able to provide some helpful feedback as to how to adjust the idea to suit its intended function as not just a game-changer but also as a practice tool and a fun alternative mod?

Cheers lewa :D
Ohrami
any advantage you could get from this is from either placebo or just being bad

stop gay
FrzR
Yes! :3
Bass
Support :)
Topic Starter
Raiku
good~ :D
Reyvateil
Supporting, I don't have much trouble with hitting corners or flowing in certain directions, but the idea of "refreshing" my memory of a map sounds interesting.
Elzapatoverde

TeaDots wrote:

Supporting, I don't have much trouble with hitting corners or flowing in certain directions, but the idea of "refreshing" my memory of a map sounds interesting.
Heinzen
I support this if unranked. Not if otherwise. This works well in 2 case scenarios:

1) You want to play a different "version" of the map you like.

2) You are lazy to learn how to deal with your weak spots.

Also, I feel that if a mapped made a pattern this way or the other one, it is meant to be like that, and as much as HR changes that, it also increases several other difficulty factors.

So on top of this suggestion:

I'd add this feature to Hard-Rock instead, where you can choose to invert the map horizontally or vertically. I'm against this if it's a new ranked mod or not HR implementation.
Soaprman
Hard Rock's increase of other difficulty factors is a big part of what makes it unattractive for this. Not everyone wants the whole bundle!

As for the "maps meant to be like that" argument, we've already got a far more damaging mod in the form of osu!mania's Random mod.
Heinzen
So, if Hard-rock module is unatractive to this, you are basically saying that you want something that makes the game easier and more convenient. Ok, make it a <1.0x mod then.
Negri_sk
Starru n Supportu ~ if lower score multiplier ofc
Soaprman

Heinzen wrote:

So, if Hard-rock module is unatractive to this, you are basically saying that you want something that makes the game easier and more convenient. Ok, make it a <1.0x mod then.
This isn't a step down in difficulty. It's a step to the side. It is exactly the same map, but flipped. There is no reason this should be anything but x1.0.

I should also note that this is a usability request. It's about comfort. It's akin to a left-handed person asking for some lefty scissors. Though I support it also because it sounds fun.
PyaKura

Soaprman wrote:

Hard Rock's increase of other difficulty factors is a big part of what makes it unattractive for this. Not everyone wants the whole bundle!

As for the "maps meant to be like that" argument, we've already got a far more damaging mod in the form of osu!mania's Random mod.
Unranked mod, solely meant to practice very unusual patterns. HR is not ranked in mania either.

I'd love to see this implemented for o!m as well, as an unranked mod, obviously.
Topic Starter
Raiku
The feedback here is great, I'm starting to see how practical this mod can be even if it was implemented x0.00 :)
Ekaru
Back when I mapped, I always intended for patterns to be played a certain way using the right hand.

So what happens when somebody uses their left hand to aim? Why, certain things that I intended to be natural come out as awkward. Flicks of the wrist become withdrawing motions, inward motions become outward motions, and so on. I wanted the player to move their mouse or pen in a specific way, not to a specific location. In order for the map to play to the left-handed players the way I intended it to play then you would have to flip the map from left-to-right.

So naturally, I support a mod that does just that. Yes, my maps sucked but that's besides the point.
Toran

Raiku wrote:

(wont somebody PLEASE think of the lefties!)
Finally some thought about us lefties o/
Rinnou Kouriri
Support!
Luffy-Kun
This is a fantastic idea. I wish this can be implemented soon.. I need this
-Soba-
I have never felt like I had more trouble with any pattern based off the direction it's going in, but support anyway! :3
show more