forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Taiko)

posted
Total Posts
show more
EBAWER123

WemadeFOX-solo wrote:

So i keep losing ranking by playing normals and fcing it with 99~100%, is this part of the new pp system which try to promote to play harder beatmaps or it wont be part of the new pp system and is just being not functional?

not functional, play for fun!
WemadeFOX-solo
yeah, thats why i keep playing normals and hards, because they are fun :>
Jikson[m9]

LunaticP wrote:

Orukaa is not a human at all,no need to kill your hand because of this....

Now the true question come,and this may brings problem because of two common playing style

Select the one you think the hardest

1. ddk k k ddk k k

2. ddk d d ddk d d

3. ddk d k ddk d k

4. ddk k d ddk k d

This result will be put into my program as well
2>1=4>3
TimmyAkmed
I agree with the discussion about "HD = HR" in term of difficulty but if it means that "DT+HD = DT+HR"
That sounds not correct to me because as said earlier HR is harder on High BPM and HD harder on Slow BPM most of time.
When you add DT the BPM is almost everytime more than 200 and it makes DT+HR way harder than DT+HD.
imo (and sorry if this has been already said) DTHR should be way more rewarding than DTHD.

Anyway, what I say would have no sense if you already works on HR high bpm more rewarding than HD high bpm...
Yuzeyun
Not telling that 95% of taiko maps have their OD >=5, which in DTHR gives you 10 at least, up to 12.
Dolphin
I've been reading through this whole thread and I find myself agreeing with OnosakiHito more than anyone else.

Put to put it simple from me:

BPM, the higher the BPM is, the harder it usually gets.
Patterns, if there is more pattern variety in a single stream the harder it is (complexity)
OD, as it requires more accuracy the higher it is.
HP shouldn't be counted too much, but higher HP drain makes you lose more and gain less HP per note.
Mods. DT highest. HR and HD same. FL disabled due to difficulties with DS players and cheaters.
I wouldn't want to disable HDHR since I find it very playable on BPMs lower than
Standard converts should also be disabled since they're not made to be played on Taiko mode.
No, I'm not saying that they can't be hard, I've played a handful of difficult converts that were fun too, but it doesn't change the fact they were made for Standard, not Taiko. If you think disabling it is too drastic, then at least they should count as FAR less than Taiko specifics.

I put my thoughts into this very lazily so please yell at me if you want me to explain something more or you disagree with me.
Pretty sure all these points have been stated so dont mind me \o/
BrokenArrow
I still haven't seen a reasonable argument on why standard converted difficulties should not be weighted equally under the same circumstances as taiko specific difficulties should.
"They are not meant to be played in taiko mode" is just stupid. Might as well remove rankings on converted maps completely then. If they are so bad that they shouldn't get taken into account for the pp ranking what is the point in them existing? Besides, those opinions are always based on subjectivity, which shouldn't influence the ranking at all.
For example, if a converted map basically just goes d d k d d d k [...] just treat it the same way you would treat a taiko specific map going like that (even though that's unlikely to happen but you get the point) instead of straight up removing them entirely from the ranking.

Sorry if I repeated anything what has already been said, I haven't followed this thread at all.
lolcubes
There are so many Normal diffs which get converted into something so insanely dumb that I don't even want to start describing how they look. And yes they look harder than insanes, the only easier things are OD and HP.

"Not meant to be played in taiko", how is that not reasonable?
As long as standard converts don't meet the ranking criteria (and never will), I vote against them being counted towards pp. While some may convert well, most of them don't. Imagine if any retarded taiko specific maps are allowed to get ranked. It's kinda the same.
LunaticP
I think you should be careful if you use rankable as the judging point. Some taiko maps actually step between rank and unrank. And if someone find a map which is converted but looks rankable this may lead to more argument.

In technical way i need to study on how a map is converted to taiko and see a program can calculate that.. ..
capes-

lolcubes wrote:

Imagine if any retarded taiko specific maps are allowed to get ranked. It's kinda the same.
Except we're trying to judge map difficulty and player skill, not rank maps or judge map quality. If a guy gets a good score on a ridiculously stupid and difficult ranked map, it should count for skill, as long as it's already ranked. Getting a good score on a difficult map of bad quality is still getting a good score on a difficult map.
karterfreak
What cubes is getting at is that many of those maps under taiko ranking criteria wouldn't even have charts at all if they had gone for ranking as taiko maps. Why should we consider scores for maps that have unrankable things in them at all for a mode that we already have hundreds upon hundreds of ranked taiko specific maps that all meet ranking criteria?

Converted maps had their place ages ago when there were very few ranked low difficulty maps for taiko. They filled the LARGE gap between starting taiko fresh, and playing Oni difficulty maps (due to taiko specific mapsets not being rankable back then and people only making Oni guest difficulties)... but now that we have those mapsets, they really don't serve a purpose anymore. While I don't think we should remove the rankings from these maps, we definitely don't need to consider them for our ranking system.
capes-
Well, here's my point, Tasha. A lot of this thread is being wasted on the argument on whether or not converts should count or not. Let's wait until a system is actually made, THEN we can decide on what to do with converts. For now, the thread should just be about coming up with a system to work with. Like how much should slider velocity affect difficulty or how much certain bpm would affect difficulty and whatnot.
Jikson[m9]
If you remember there are a lot of converted easy's performance spamming the best performances in the previous pp system, and everyone could tell that those were not really "good" performance when compared with those which are performed with Oni maps. I do think it is essential to discuss whether should we count in converted map performances or not to.
MeeHawk
well, some people actually have fun through FL. It gives players with lesser raw skill (considering legit ones in this case) an opportunity to compete evenly with higher raw skill, non-FL players (although memorization itself is already a skill imo; only some people can actually do it in fewer tries than anyone else/do hardcore, non-repetitive stuffs. Take baka_baka_Koishi, for example. Regardless, it's not really raw, but still). Although I haven't tried it at all, I think it's NOT impossible to actually train your reflexes with FL, but then again it's much more tedious to train than with other mods, thus making people not go through it. Just my opinion.
I agree with XK2238 about FL stuff. It is possible to train your reflexes to play FL, i got better and better playing with it, BUT it is only readable at low bpm taiko maps and low SV/BPM converted ones. Also depends on the ammount of notes in the map, since the visibility area gets smaller when you reach 100 and 200 combo. Otherwise FLit is useless on taiko maps and imo should not count on them, cause memorization is not a competitive type of skill.. ANY player can memorize a map, it just depends on the ammount of attempts each one takes to do it. But there are players who can memorize easier than others and can't play hard patterns with good accuraccy or can't read high BPM on taiko maps.

This game is a rythim game ( meaning of course that you need to play in the right rythim), so accuracy should count way more than other mods, meaning that DT and HR should be more rewarded since it raises OD.Takes skill to play HD too, meaning you can follow the rythim, but anyway HR>HD. By the way, HR&HD IS playable.

I think converted maps SHOULD count as well, because there are songs you like, and there's not a taiko mode on it. But the converted ones shouldn't be weighted as much as taiko maps, UNLESS Tom94 comes up with a nice system.
Dolphin

MeeHawk wrote:

This game is a rythim game ( meaning of course that you need to play in the right rythim), so accuracy should count way more than other mods, meaning that DT and HR should be more rewarded since it raises OD.Takes skill to play HD too, meaning you can follow the rythim, but anyway HR>HD. By the way, HR&HD IS playable.
Just because HR raises OD doesn't mean you'd need less rhythmic accuracy or playing HD.
In fact, by making the scrolling speed (or SV in osu terms) faster, it affects your accuracy, usually it makes you play more accurately rather than when you play with low scrolling speed. It might be a bad comparison, but have you ever noticed how usually beatmania IIDX players play with high Hi-Speed (scrolling speed) and a lot of people use curtains as well? It's because reaction time kicks in when you play with faster scrolling and less notes on-screen, often making you more accurate. So HR should stay the same as HD as the difficulty is very equal.
You can still try and hit the notes by looking at when the notes hit the circle with HR (bad playing choice). With HD you can't as the notes vanish, so you'd need equally as much rhythmic accuracy with both mods, in my opinion.

MeeHawk wrote:

I think converted maps SHOULD count as well, because there are songs you like, and there's not a taiko mode on it. But the converted ones shouldn't be weighted as much as taiko maps, UNLESS Tom94 comes up with a nice system.
In my honest opinion that's a rather weak argument. There is an easy fix to it: Map it yourself.
Or even better, if you find a pending taiko set for said song, help it get ranked by modding it!

Jikson[m9] wrote:

If you remember there are a lot of converted easy's performance spamming the best performances in the previous pp system, and everyone could tell that those were not really "good" performance when compared with those which are performed with Oni maps. I do think it is essential to discuss whether should we count in converted map performances or not to.
Agreed. The old pp system was very broken because you could rocket up the ranking list by getting some decent scores on low difficulty converts, so this discussion is much needed if we want a new and working ranking/pp system.
MeeHawk
You can still try and hit the notes by looking at when the notes hit the circle with HR (bad playing choice). With HD you can't as the notes vanish, so you'd need equally as much rhythmic accuracy with both mods, in my opinion.
It's not the same thing.. There's a exact time to hit the notes and you can see it clearly with super high OD.. Try to 100% FC this taiko map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/11628 with HR.. That map is easy, but you need to press it at the exact time the note reachs the middle of the hit window.. And as you can see in the ladder of the map, HR really makes a difference when compared to HD. The rythim is the same, but the accuracy is not. So yes, raising OD means something..

In my honest opinion that's a rather weak argument. There is an easy fix to it: Map it yourself.
Or even better, if you find a pending taiko set for said song, help it get ranked by modding it!
Yes you are right, i didn't explain it well.. I meant that lots of people enjoy playing converted maps, because there are much good ones and gaining pp from playing something you like it is something good imo, even if it's just a bit of pp. And why mapping it myself would be an easy fix? LOL i would spend days and days just to map one song and some weeks/months or even more to get it aproved, and also there are people who works and do stuff on their life, no way it would be an easy fix.
roufou

MeeHawk wrote:

I agree with XK2238 about FL stuff. It is possible to train your reflexes to play FL, i got better and better playing with it, BUT it is only readable at low bpm taiko maps and low SV/BPM converted ones. Also depends on the ammount of notes in the map, since the visibility area gets smaller when you reach 100 and 200 combo. Otherwise FLit is useless on taiko maps and imo should not count on them, cause memorization is not a competitive type of skill.. ANY player can memorize a map, it just depends on the ammount of attempts each one takes to do it. But there are players who can memorize easier than others and can't play hard patterns with good accuraccy or can't read high BPM on taiko maps.
the fact that you memorize a map doesn't make it unimpressive (though peppy seems to think so now anyways)
also up to 150 to 160 bpm is entirely plausible to sightread at 200 combo depending on the density, perhaps even more

I'm also personally for standard converts as not counting them feels an awful lot like saying they don't require skill

edit: also to clarifiy I'd give a score more pp the more impressive it is rather than judging by how much skill the score might've taken, I don't feel like the latter is even possible
TimmyAkmed

agu wrote:

I'm also personally for standard converts as not counting them feels an awful lot like saying they don't require skill
I'm also against converted maps being counted in the ranking even if I play them a lot, there are much of them that are a challenge to play without having a really stupid conversion like the Dragonforce maps. But even if the system is perfectly accurate for taiko diff, maps like this : http://osu.ppy.sh/s/33052 would count way too much and would break the skill thing that I think we are searching in the new ranking.
If the ranking is meant to tell who are the best players of taiko, converted maps have no sense to be present if only some of them are "good" imo.
roufou

TimmyAkmed wrote:

agu wrote:

I'm also against converted maps being counted in the ranking even if I play them a lot, there are much of them that are a challenge to play without having a really stupid conversion like the Dragonforce maps. But even if the system is perfectly accurate for taiko diff, maps like this : http://osu.ppy.sh/s/33052 would count way too much and would break the skill thing that I think we are searching in the new ranking.
If the ranking is meant to tell who are the best players of taiko, converted maps have no sense to be present if only some of them are "good" imo.
maps like mad machine were never a problem in the old system so I don't see why they have to be now
TimmyAkmed
The old system wasn't accurate but if the new one is, and if you see a taiko map with these kind of streams it would be obviously counted as map with an enormous difficulty and should give a lots of pp. So it would be the same for this map.
Maybe I see a problem where there is no but I think it's the main reason of why std diff should not count in the system.
MeeHawk
Oh good point.. now that i'm thinking on it, it would be plausible to say that. *Thumbs up*
Well, maybe Tom can figure out a good way to do this.. But for now I agree with you.

the fact that you memorize a map doesn't make it unimpressive (though peppy seems to think so now anyways)
also up to 150 to 160 bpm is entirely plausible to sightread at 200 combo depending on the density, perhaps even more
IT IS impressive, but FL wasn't made to be competitive I think, it is just to show you can memorize stuff :D
NoYzE
Ever thought about diminishing returns?
It's not hard to code such an algorithm for experienced coders i think.
However, it would really help to take away the fear, that converted maps could count too much.

Let's say you have a stream of 20 or 30 dons in a converted map above 200 bpm, which is still hard but not seen as "skilled" for taiko as you state.
Now the diminishing returns comes into effect:

The first don will give 100% of points (invisible ones, since it shouldn't affect the way of the scoring).
2nd: 50%
3rd: 25%
4th: 12.50%
5th: 6.25%
and so on.
If there is a Kat, it will give 100% points again and reset the multiplier for the next don to 100% again also.

So if there is a map with very little variation and much spamming, it would only give a little amount of points compared to taiko specific maps with much variation.

You could also let the system detect repetitive patterns and give less points for every same pattern as the previous.
This way "dkdkdkdkdkdkdkdkdk" wouldn't give 100% all the time because it is repetitive.

So that is why i said, if you have a good algorithm, you really don't need to fear, that converted maps could count too much, because if they'd do, the algorithm would be wrong.

Greetings,
NoYzE
EBAWER123
I think every person who is trying to make converts look bad is either a troll or just a plain ol' hater. If a convert has 220 BPM 1/8 stream of 30 notes it is not different from a taiko-specific map with the same stream. Do you think a taiko map just magically becomes harder or what? Or OD 8 on a convert suddenly becomes easier than an OD 5 Taiko map? The only differences are patterns, note density and SV which on some of the converts is quite fast and some converts have a higher density than a taiko map. You are just blindly repeating same things: "not meant to be played" - don't play it, "stupid map" - best excuse of a noob, "too easy" - if it's too easy than it will be counted as such and it will give less PP? Like srsly what's the problem with you guys, you are not even suggesting anything useful, you were repeating the same things for 5 pages already. Maybe we should actually discuss sonething more relevant - like what patterns are harder than others or what SV makes it easier/harder for HR and HD.
Luna
The issue in my opinion is that a huge amount of standard conversions is pretty easy for the most part and then has a few stupid long 1/8 streams. Even if your pattern and accuracy skills are mediocre, you'd be able to farm lots of pp by getting ridiculous speed values if you can just mash fast enough.
For example, take Kanburisa. The patterns are super simple, but that 400 BPM deathstream lasts forever. A few people can mash fast enough to FC that, but does it mean they could play a regular 270 BPM map? No, absolutely not. Some of them can (Orukaa for example), but the mashing speed nesseccary for Kanburisa and similar maps does not automatically transfer into "real" skill.
If the calculation method for the speed value is even remotely similar to how it is in standard, converted maps will be imbalanced. I don't think they should be completely ignored in pp calculations, but definitely weighted less heavily.
NoYzE
I'm glad my solution to this is ignored :)
Luna
Your solution doesn't really work since long monocolor streams are actually surprisingly hard to play properly.
This does not apply to mashing 1/8 though
Sy[K]es

EBAWER123 wrote:

I think every person who is trying to make converts look bad is either a troll or just a plain ol' hater. If a convert has 220 BPM 1/8 stream of 30 notes it is not different from a taiko-specific map with the same stream. Do you think a taiko map just magically becomes harder or what? Or OD 8 on a convert suddenly becomes easier than an OD 5 Taiko map? The only differences are patterns, note density and SV which on some of the converts is quite fast and some converts have a higher density than a taiko map. You are just blindly repeating same things: "not meant to be played" - don't play it, "stupid map" - best excuse of a noob, "too easy" - if it's too easy than it will be counted as such and it will give less PP? Like srsly what's the problem with you guys, you are not even suggesting anything useful, you were repeating the same things for 5 pages already. Maybe we should actually discuss sonething more relevant - like what patterns are harder than others or what SV makes it easier/harder for HR and HD.
Agreed.
Dolphin

EBAWER123 wrote:

I think every person who is trying to make converts look bad is either a troll or just a plain ol' hater.
Oh god you used both the words "troll" and "hater"......
Please. It's not even that we're trying to make converts look bad, it's a matter of opinion, and most of us think that 99% of the converts are pretty shit.
I never said there weren't good converts. But especially when we have this many ranked taiko map sets, I don't see the need of having converts give pp, I think we should still let them have scoreboards.

EBAWER123 wrote:

You are just blindly repeating same things: "not meant to be played" - don't play it, "stupid map" - best excuse of a noob, "too easy" - if it's too easy than it will be counted as such and it will give less PP? Like srsly what's the problem with you guys, you are not even suggesting anything useful, you were repeating the same things for 5 pages already.
We're not blindly repeating the same things, we're even giving explanations on why we have these opinions. It feels like you're not reading all of it :/
We have suggested fixes, we have explained why we have our opinions, and they're all very reasonable, I don't see how they're not.
Quichey
Converted maps should be weighted fully. It's not enough to say that converted maps are terribly easy/badly mapped, because there are songs that are converted extremely well. If we do start to rank on note density, patterns, etc. (all the suggestions in this thread), it'll be enough to allow converts a fair chance in Taiko.
I have yet to find a compelling argument in this thread.
LunaticP
The question is do you count converted map as a taiko map. Theoretically whatever map, for it can be played in taiko mode it is a taiko map. However the gap between converted map and a taiko specific map is really large. To the extent that some people don't want to count it as a taiko map. You may find some map converted but still play well, but are they the majority? As a mapper, converted should not count. Very simple, if converted will also count then what is the use of mapping specific. I map hard on the map and now you said it weight the same as converted? But, as a player,converted map must count. First ,no matter what map i played, i still need to have good still so as to get good score and rank. Why i play an insane with full load of 1/8 and someone play a simple muzu and he get higher rank?

Which side you stand?

How to get a balance?

Try to explain and answer your view
Yuzeyun
on one side: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44331
on the other side: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=195834&m=1

play both. see differences. understand why we can't weigh fully StTC in general.
NoYzE
I must admit that i changed my mind, after playing a lot of specific maps and becoming a lot better over the past weeks.

While you have common patterns in specific maps you can learn and improve to read and play them more accurate and faster, you can't really learn patterns in converted maps, because there are no :P
Also, converted maps are often bad for alternating because of "sudden" big dons and kats, leading to bad habits for new players.

So i agree now that we should encourage the use of specific maps over converted maps.
But having "dead" maps without any ranking wouldn't be osu either.
So we should give them some influence but weight them less than specific maps.

edit: I started playing converted at the beginning only because there are really few ranked beginner maps in my opinion and the difficulty is very hard and fast rising for new players even on futsuu (only here in osu, not in TnT).
So if you want specific maps to become more popular among all groups of players including new players, we should take a closer look on advanced beginner maps connecting beginner maps to the advanced ones, and also take a look on the taiko map-packs, since it's very difficult to find all the taiko specific beginner maps that are not in the 2 packs.
Topic Starter
Tom94

TimmyAkmed wrote:

The old system wasn't accurate but if the new one is, and if you see a taiko map with these kind of streams it would be obviously counted as map with an enormous difficulty and should give a lots of pp. So it would be the same for this map.
Maybe I see a problem where there is no but I think it's the main reason of why std diff should not count in the system.
If players made bad scores on such maps, even if the maps are insanely hard they still would barely give pp. Take a look at tag4-maps in standard - they give pretty much nothing because nobody can play them, despite them being rated highest in difficulty by far.
RaneFire

_Gezo_ wrote:

on one side: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44331
on the other side: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=195834&m=1

play both. see differences. understand why we can't weigh fully StTC in general.
I feel obligated to link this map too: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/164977&m=0 - [Allegro] diff.
karterfreak
My last 2 cents on the matter regarding converted maps vs taiko specific, take it for what you will.

As a mapper, I view the ranking charts as an achievement that the map has met a certain level of quality of gameplay in that game mode, and therefore players should be able to compete on that map in a ranked environment.

As already mentioned several times in this thread, maps made for standard osu! are not designed with the taiko game mode in mind, which leads to the maps not having a suitable quality to be considered rankable under taiko specific criteria... My issue with this? Why should maps that aren't even fitting under ranking criteria for the taiko game mode be included in a ranking system meant for taiko? We might as well just allow things that are currently unrankable if we're going to allow them on the charts anyways through osu!standard maps.

Another issue I take as a mapper is that all of the people on the side of converted maps being included in our new ranking system are basically saying that they care more about quantity of maps than the quality of the maps being included in the ranking system. It makes me feel like there's not even a point to us putting in effort to make our maps enjoyable with some sense of rhythm if all people want is lots of mediocre maps to compete against each other on with rankings.

Finally, as a PLAYER. I highly dislike converted maps because of the sheer amount of unrankable things you can run into. Stuff such as finishers in the middle of streams and high speed, disorienting SV changes that don't fit pacing of the music being two big culprits in converted maps that you frequently run into that aren't rankable under taiko rules / guidelines. I would probably just consider the new system to be as bad as the ppv1 system if it considered converted maps equally to taiko specific maps.
lolcubes
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/95895&m=1 Despite only being a don map, finishers at the beginning and end of streams are just god damn awful.

I already said all I wanted to say though, just contributing with really bad conversion examples. This used to be in my top performance for ages as well.
Dolphin
Tasha what is your address I want to ship one million gold medals your way.

PS: Dont give me your address, but you still deserve that victory fanfare from Final Fantasy at least!

You basically just said everything I wasn't able to word well.
Sy[K]es
Is it possible to change the way osu! converts maps for taiko mode? I know it may sound retarded in terms of streams BUT, I am just asking.
LunaticP

Sy[K]es wrote:

Is it possible to change the way osu! converts maps for taiko mode? I know it may sound retarded in terms of streams BUT, I am just asking.
for now is no

the only solution I think will be, when a converted map is now playing with taiko mode, all notes are default set back to sv1.4
Dolphin

LunaticP wrote:

Sy[K]es wrote:

for now is no

the only solution I think will be, when a converted map is now playing with taiko mode, all notes are default set back to sv1.4
This would be a good fix but it's a bit too late as a lot of people will complain and be like "but omg all the difficulty came from the fast notes and now all the mediocre players can beat us boo hoo :( :( :( :("
show more