forum

Consistently missing easy notes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ElykColdster
I don't know if more experienced players have had this problem in the past but ever since I've started playing osu! I've been missing "easy" jumps every now and then. For instance, I watched a recent replay and my cursor was visibly over the circle but the game counted it as a miss so I assumed it was because my key press was off. This has been going on more frequently since I've started playing maps with faster jumps. The beat is easy enough to follow (on most maps) but the jumps almost always manage to kill me/break combo.

Can anyone give me some tips on making these misses less frequent?
Myke B
If you do the same thing often, it becomes routine. If you replay the same part of a song over and over, it will become routine and it can become easy to just miss. This will happen less and less often as you play more. Try to take a break from one song if you are on retry 60 lol.
Soarezi
Happened to me too. Fixed it by focusing a shitton
Blueprint
Welcome to the 90% accuracy club as for jumps I think it's just a matter of how many times you make that same jump
uzzi

Blueprint wrote:

Welcome to the 90% accuracy club as for jumps I think it's just a matter of how many times you make that same jump
LOL 99% acc lyfe

OT: Try to concentrate on parts you tend to miss on. Don't pay too much attention to easier bits or else it just makes the concentration you're putting into the map feel like you aren't actually concentrating...if that makes any sense
Topic Starter
ElykColdster
Hey, thanks all for your input.

Glad to know other people have/had the same problem. I guess it all just comes with practice :p
Myke B

ElykColdster wrote:

Hey, thanks all for your input.

Glad to know other people have/had the same problem. I guess it all just comes with practice :p
As does everything in this game :P gl!
XGeneral2000
This is something I have always struggled with - missing the dumb stuff I should be hitting 100% of the time no sweat - and I've found that it's because my cursor and keyboard hands get out of sync. This wasn't something I really noticed until I realized a lot of patterns seemed easier with DT than no-mod.

More accurately, my keyboard hand moves more-or-less on time, but my cursor hand is too impatient. When I watched my replays at 0.5x, I saw that a lot of the time, my cursor would move over a note, then move off it before I actually hit it. Even on notes I did hit, a lot of them I was practically hitting on the way to the next note, way after I snapped to it.

This is worse on lower AR because I'm paying more attention to notes that are just appearing than to the notes I'm currently hitting. And it gets worse the more I retry a map, since I remember where notes are and thus pay less attention to reading them (I'm thinking about future notes as opposed to the notes I need to hitting right now). And like you, I also tend to have more problems with it on faster maps and bigger jumps because I feel pressured to move faster.

This is still something I'm working to overcome, but what has helped for me is to relax. You have a lot more time to get to the next note than you might think. Pay more attention to the note you're on, and don't move on to the next note until you know you've hit it. It's hard to do at first, especially since your conscious mind is intruding on your muscle memory, and you might have problems hitting hard stuff you could do before because you're intentionally giving yourself less time to react...but I've found it's helped me hit the "easy stuff" a lot more consistently.

So while it's noticeable pulled back my upper limit, it's brought up my lower limit, which I think is more important. Master the basics so when you move "hard stuff" into the "easy stuff" category, you can actually see it in your performance. At least, that's how I see it.
RaneFire
I found that practicing starting at a screen for hours at a time, while moving my cursor towards circular shaped objects and hitting my keyboard at precise intervals, has improved my ability to not miss easy notes.
Weed
i also have this problem. what helps is when i move my cursor to hit the note to focus and make sure I actually hit the note.
Rewben2

bewaredrev wrote:

i also have this problem. what helps is when i move my cursor to hit the note to focus and make sure I actually hit the note.
This.

My favourite technique to doing this is to look at when the bigger circle hits the smaller circle.
PlasticSmoothie
I sometimes experience getting into a bad habit that makes me miss easy stuff. Usually, changing my cursor helps with that since my eyes will be naturally focused on the new shiny thing on my screen and I'm not as likely to let my eyes wander as I think about what I should cook for dinner.
Topic Starter
ElykColdster

XGeneral2000 wrote:

This is still something I'm working to overcome, but what has helped for me is to relax. You have a lot more time to get to the next note than you might think. Pay more attention to the note you're on, and don't move on to the next note until you know you've hit it.
Yes, thank you. I agree with you on this 100%. I used to panic a lot on the jumps in this map (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/13393) which always ended up making me drop to low HP after a miss or two in a row. I replayed the map with nofail and did surprisingly well simply because I stopped caring about the one or two occasional misses. I've struggled with keeping calm and just focusing on the actually rhythm of the song but at least now I know I can't just rush a beat because I want to hit some jumps.
Bweh
The issue is that you're not focusing enough. Either avoid the map for a while, take a break, or force yourself. The time and method for dealing with it is up to you
okdesu_old
Salvage
Yep, simple as that, actually in the known famous impossible star shape notes if you pay attention you will probabbly allways miss on the same note or the same two notes, just focus on those, like just on those notes, you will probabbly end up doing the pattern, if you can look at all of them individually it's way better but well.