forum

Swapping from mouse only to tablet/keyboard, have questions

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Ninja ]
Hey guys. I purchased an osu tablet and plan to switch from mouse only to tablet/keyboard, and have a few concerns.

First of all, my current concern is my keyboard's latency. When using this latency measuring chart my keyboard's latency reads out at 114ms. I'm the kind of player who needs my keystrokes to be on beat in order to maintain high accuracy, so this amount of latency cripples my play. Is there a way to fix this issue? I got a suggestion to change my overall offset to 114ms and see if that helped, will that work?

Also, I've become pretty proficient with a mouse and am worried about my rank going down as I'm learning to play with the tablet. Is there a way to circumvent this other than to create an alternate profile? I'm not opposed to doing so if it's the only way, but I would of course love to be able to continue adding plays and experience to my current account.

Thanks in advance for the info! I'm pretty new to the community but so far I'm loving it. :)
Myke B
Okay.. a few things: 1. will changing your offset to 114ms work? Not sure, but you can always just try it. 2. Please don't worry about your rank at 16k, and it getting worse. 16k is awful (no disrespect, because even my rank is garbagio). 3. You will not instantly become better due to having a tablet - you need to practice a while before that can happen. And finally, 3. if your keyboard really does become a serious problem for you - just save up some money and get a new one in the future. Even with a shitty keyboard you should be able to become better than you are now (again, no offence).

I think switching to a tablet is worth it, because in my opinion, it's way more fun to play with a tablet :)
Ezekeial
Tablet takes one day max to learn, your rank won't drop that much.

Not sure about keyboard issues though, sorry.

Feel free to message me in-game if you have any issues setting up the tablet, I know it was difficult for me to find the right settings ect

Goodluck~
Mathsma
Don't worry about your keyboard latency, it's much better to have your hitsounds sound on time with the music than to have your keys sound on time and the hitsounds way off. If you want to not be bothered by your key presses being too early then wear some headphones or a headset if possible. Also if you want to reduce keyboard latency then buying a ps2 adapter for your keyboard could help. USB updates in batches if I am not mistaken and a ps2 connection interrupts and sends the info immediately.

Also you can only have 1 osu! account, any other accounts created will get banned. If you create too many your main may get banned as well.

Your rank also cannot go down. PPv2 is just like ppv1, you cannot be punished for your scores, sort of. If you beat a no mod SS with a 95% S HD score than your pp would go down because the SS was the harder score to get but pp takes the highest scoring play into pp calculations.
Myke B

Ezekeial wrote:

Not sure about keyboard issues though, sorry.

Feel free to message me in-game if you have any issues setting up the tablet, I know it was difficult for me to find the right settings ect

Goodluck~
One day?? One day to get back to around the same skill level as the tool you've been using for a much longer amount of time? I cannot agree with this, but maybe it's just me that took longer than a day to master the tablet.
Ezekeial

Myke B wrote:

One day?? One day to get back to around the same skill level as the tool you've been using for a much longer amount of time? I cannot agree with this, but maybe it's just me that took longer than a day to master the tablet.

Perhaps I'm just a fast learner, but it took me a day to get to the same level.
Topic Starter
[ Ninja ]
Thank you guys for all of the information!

No offense taken Myke. I haven't been playing that long, and while I have a long history with rhythm games and am picking it up pretty quickly, I know my play is nowhere near impressive at the top level.

Hopefully I'll pick it up quickly. I've felt very limited by my mouse - able to read higher difficulties but unable to perform them. As far as the hitsound matchup being more important, I totally agree. I just have an easier time being super accurate when a hit happens as soon as I press the key (nothing to do with the keystroke sound, I play with headphones on normally). Maybe it's because I'm a drummer, who knows.

Anyways, thanks again for your help. I might take you up on messaging you in-game. <3
Myke B

Ezekeial wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Perhaps I'm just a fast learner, but it took me a day to get to the same level.
what "level" were you at when you switched? Just curious.
Ezekeial
I was just starting to fc the easier insanes and stuff like that, nothing amazing.

Also tablet won't make you feel less limited; I can read so much better than can play, just how the game is.
TakuMii

Ezekeial wrote:

please tell me where you got your skill... it took me 4 months to get my tablet ability up to where I was when I switched from mouse.
Ezekeial

YayMii wrote:

please tell me where you got your skill... it took me 4 months to get my tablet ability up to where I was when I switched from mouse.
I'm not sure. ;_; it just happened, was very easy for me to pick it up. But implying what I play as skill is laughable.
Mathsma

YayMii wrote:

Ezekeial wrote:

It only took me a week :|
but I play a lot so that could be why.
Coffee Hero
One day?? One day to get back to around the same skill level as the tool you've been using for a much longer amount of time? I cannot agree with this, but maybe it's just me that took longer than a day to master the tablet
Took me 1 day after switching with 2k plays.
Myke B

TSC wrote:

One day?? One day to get back to around the same skill level as the tool you've been using for a much longer amount of time? I cannot agree with this, but maybe it's just me that took longer than a day to master the tablet
Took me 1 day after switching with 2k plays.
You had 2k plays in one day?
Coffee Hero
You had 2k plays in one day?
10 days. 2k plays with mouse and then i switched.
Myke B
Oh, only 2k? I guess I switched later than everyone so maybe that's why it took me longer? idk :/
China
I played mouse only for 5 months, then switched to tablet/keyboard a month ago. At first it was confusing getting used to the tracking on the tablet and tapping beats with my left hand instead of right, but I got used to it all in a day.
My keyboard concerns me though. Its nothing fancy like an all lighted up gaming keyboard, its just a standard Apple keyboard and I'm not sure about the latency. What kind of keyboards do you guys use and do you think it really makes a difference between a low end stock keyboard and an expensive custom gaming keyboard?
Noobsicle

China wrote:

My keyboard concerns me though. Its nothing fancy like an all lighted up gaming keyboard, its just a standard Apple keyboard and I'm not sure about the latency. What kind of keyboards do you guys use and do you think it really makes a difference between a low end stock keyboard and an expensive custom gaming keyboard?
flashy lights and bling doesn't really contribute to gaming performance. i'm assuming the standard apple keyboard is one of those scissor switch/chiclet types?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide for some info on keyboards, im not entirely sure on latency heh..

lots of osu! players pretty much use mechanical keyboards because they're less fatiguing and lighter than rubberdomes. "gaming" in gaming keyboard is just marketing gibberish, there isn't any difference between a Ducky Shine 3 and a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (cept for the 5 macro keys which i doubt people actually use)

tbh it doesn't really make much of a difference between homebrand keyboards and keyboards like these, but mechanical keyboards will probably be much easier on your fingers

plus they're clickity clackity
Topic Starter
[ Ninja ]
With everything you guys have said and the bit of testing I've done today, I believe my only option here is to get a new keyboard.

I'm using a Logitech G9, and just as Noobsicle pointed out, just because it's a gaming keyboard doesn't mean increased performance. As I said earlier it reads at ~100ms behind. I tried changing the general offset to match it in both directions, but that much offset makes it almost impossible to play, the notes are either showing way too early or way too late. No matter where I changed the offset to it was just making the hitsounds offbeat. I can't reduce the latency by turning off the keyboards interfacing software, so I tried playing a few easy games to see if I could just get used to it. I was able to do pretty well through slow easy parts, but as soon as it becomes fast or complex it's too much to deal with. So, that more or less decides it - I just need a new keyboard.

I'm excited about playing with a tablet! I might see if I have another input device I can use, I know I have a USB arcade stick. :P
RaneFire
If you want, you can use your mouse for clicking with your other hand. Tablet+mouse. There's a few ways to stop it from tracking so you can just click with it. I'm not a fan of the tape method. A bit tedious.
Mathsma
Apparently the keyboard you use has some incredible delay.

Topic Starter
[ Ninja ]
Apparently the keyboard you use has some incredible delay.
Wow... well at least it's not just me, though I feel pretty unlucky. T_T I made a typo above, the keyboard I'm using is the G19, not the G9.

The arcade stick I have uses a PS2 connection, so I'm going to try that out.
Purple

YayMii wrote:

Ezekeial wrote:

Same here. 2 1/2 months and counting and I still haven't mastered it.
Myke B
I guess I'm not the only one lol ^^ I knew I wasn't crazy.
nooblet
Switching from mouse to tablet has a bunch of problems like mentioned before. Something (I guess you asked about keyboard, but gonna say it anyways) that wasn't mentioned is getting the right tablet area for yourself. When you switch to tablet at first you're like "OMG gonna play like Cookiezi rrtyui now" [insert JPG] but... yeah, doesn't happen.

Lots of people use full tablet area (rrtyui does, too) as it provides more precision than a small area, but it requires more arm movement and is (probably?) more tiring when the beatmap is faster or goes for a long time without a break.

Others use partial area, which allows you to move with just your fingers (and perhaps wrist), almost like you're writing. This is less tiring but relies greatly on small, precise movements, and it wears down that area of your tablet a ton :P

Finding what area you like best will take time, and once you find that area it'll take some more time to really get used to it. Don't change your area afterwards, 'cuz it's gonna screw you over. Apparently you're supposed to force proportions (I forgot to), so check that box out too.

As for your keyboard issue, that's a huge value. You might be hitting the wrong beat...? Personally I think you should just play a beatmap and check your error range. Some beatmaps are timed differently, so play some more, find an average value, and then change your offset accordingly.
TakuMii
Using Force Proportions isn't necessary, but is highly recommended. While there are high-ranked players that have it off (see: rrtyui), having it on will make it easier to transition and make movement more intuitive.