forum

A formal complaint about ppv2

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Elysion
As I'm sure we all know by now, ppv1 has been deprecated in favor of ppv2. Many of us are unhappy, for very good reasons. A lot of very good or decent players (and not just farmers!) have had their ranks tanked due to this new ranking system. The time we have spent polishing our ranks and beating our friends has been completely invalidated and replaced by a system that is just plain NOT RIGHT.

When you tell us to calm down and that the ranking system is incomplete, we understand that. But it's very difficult for us to do so when EVERY NEW VERSION OF PPV2 that comes up is practically the same as the last! Your disclaimers do nothing to assure us that the ranking system will be accurate. It makes us feel like we wasted our time with ppv1. It even discourages us from wanting to play. Seeing no tangible changes in each new version of ppv2 makes us want to complain. And that's exactly why I wrote this thread.

I'm astonished at how you continue to ruin the game for people who spend hours playing it and trying to improve themselves and their ranks, and instead cater to casuals and the select minority that loves to farm accuracy/ score. Ppv1 did its job, for what it's worth. All things considered, I think most people would agree ppv1 was an OKAY metric. While it may still be far from accurate, it's definitely better than ppv2 right now. If you're willing to listen to the people who actually know what they're talking about and the community as a whole, then maybe you could make some positive progress on a ranking system (and even appease the competitive community!). (It seems like you're always clashing horns with competitive players, for whatever reason)

You seem to dislike the way people complain. Why not cater towards what the community wants, then? Why not make a ranking system that is closer to what the community wants, instead of your idea of what measures skill? I understand that you can't make every player happy. I also understand you want to make a new ranking system. But you could do a MUCH MUCH MUUUUUUUCH better job at making a ranking system. If you at the very least established that you did not want this ranking system to be centered around player skill (like the ladder system is supposed to be, when it is released), then I think that would address some of the complaints. If skill is still an objective of your ranking system, please consider this: When the community agrees that X player is better than Y player, but Y player's rank is higher than X player's rank, there's something wrong. While it may not be their own rank, the WHOLE COMMUNITY agrees that particular rank should not be that way. I could cite a TON of examples of ranking imblances off the top of my head, but I'm not going to be rude and call names. The point is, people will generally agree on who are top players and who aren't. If you could try using the top 25 players of 2012/ 2013 videos as examples to base your ranking system off of, maybe the ranking system could make some positive progress towards measuring skill and ultimately satisfying the player base. But until the top ranks start looking better, I don't think anyone will accept this new ranking system as a reflection of skill. It will instead come down to another farming race of time invested into the game, which may eventually end up as being a repeat of ppv1.

Since changes like these will probably never go through and peppy keeps deciding to make his game worse, I'm quitting.

P.S.: I think a ladder system is a fun idea. It would have been nice to keep ppv1 and implement that ladder system separately from ppv1.

TL;DR: Peppy broke rankings and doesn't know what he's doing. He's ruining the game/ making people quit. cya
Yarissa
Posting in a locked thread

EDIT: I wholeheartedly agree with everything Elysion said.
Weed

Kaoru wrote:

Posting in a locked thread
Layne_old_1
hi elysion
Azer
Agreed with everything, honestly I barely even feel like playing at all anymore

peppyresponse: so don't play :)
Megami_old_1
Toasting with blocked bread.

Seriously though, I agree. The ladder system would've been cool to see in action along with PPv1.
AmaiHachimitsu
Quoting Peppy

i'm not looking to make it skill based. it's about progression
Ranking which isn't skill related is absurd. This is not a fkin LoL or w/e
The progress thingy is also weird, I explained in one of the topics that TP also has this "ability"

Also do you remember when Peppy announced that PP will measure the SKILL?

We were disappointed because of PP. not because it was meant to show skill, but it just failed to do it accurately

And now suddenly he does a ranking which doesn't give a fk. Because he wants it this way. And that "play for fun" thing he agreed to........ I hope he was sarcastic.

Maps are made by players for players, why something like ranking (which is for players specifically) cannot be made as the community wishes for?

Good luck making the ladder, but the ranking now is just a bad joke.

thx bye
H1ko
RIP osu!
Kayla
Agreeing with everything in this eventually filtered, locked and deleted thread. The community means nothing anymore.
Vocal

Azer wrote:

Agreed with everything, honestly I barely even feel like playing at all anymore
No senpai pls >_<

I do agree with ely though
pooptartsonas
I don't get why some people can't understand that other people enjoy competition. It's fine and all if you enjoy the game just for what it is, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the active community plays the game to better themselves with respect to others and enjoys the spirit of competition. I really really hope peppy will listen to the community in this case.
[ BJ ]
Couldn't agree with this more :3
AmaiHachimitsu
Remember it's your privilege to play this game for free, be grateful.
[-Sophie-]_old
Performance Rank: Stop caring about numbers (please read).
^ Solved. Now please, play for fun once, and let peppy work on this, also stop complaing...
AmaiHachimitsu
Now please, disappear.
[-Sophie-]_old

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Now please, disappear.
+9999
Maeglwn
you could also just get over the fact that you don't have a number next to your name and we could just have individual song ranks for once instead of this dumb pp stuff
Soulg
id probably wait until it is finished being implemented before condemning it

but that makes me unique i guess
pielak213

[-Sophie-] wrote:

^ Solved. Now please, play for fun once, and let peppy work on this, also stop complaing...
you haven't put months of work into the game
peppy
SO let's see..

* The poster is quitting?
* They missed the part where v2 was not implemented?
* They missed the part where I openly said v1 was broken, and no maps since November last year would give correct score?
* Missing the point of playing a game if one number can make you quit?
pr0ntab

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

And now suddenly he does a ranking which doesn't give a fk. Because he wants it this way. And that "play for fun" thing he agreed to........ I hope he was sarcastic.
I feel bad for people who don't play Osu for fun.
Loctav
People should read the part about "Stuff isnt finished yet".
[-Sophie-]_old

pielak213 wrote:

[-Sophie-] wrote:

you haven't put months of work into the game
I actually did. So thanks
GNU Linux
Why don't you guys man up like JP players who arent shitposting about ppv2 and actually wants to rank up using the new point system?
peppy
Oh, and I don't lock stuff because I dislike the complaints. It's that the way you guys complain without reading/understanding what is going on is appalling and a waste of both our time.
Yarissa
People who can say things like "stop caring about numbers" are people who haven't poured hours of work into the game, trying to become better players. Elysion presents a very valid arguement and I think it shouldn't be simply ignored. There's a vast amount of the community that would like to see some changes regarding ppv2 and future rankings

peppyresponse: If you've poured hours into the game then you should be content with that, and knowing that when a new system comes along you will be able to succeed in it. If you aren't confident you can do this, then it's likely you've been trying to game the system or something.
pooptartsonas
Why can't people understand that some people derive their fun from the competitive aspect of the game? It's not like we're not having fun just because we aren't "playing for fun".

peppyresponse: so wait for the next competitive system to come, which i promised in my post.