forum

Stream help?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sakisakan
Okay, i've literally made like 3 threads like these asking for help about streams over my time on osu, and i have literally felt nothing improve, it's not because of people giving me bad advice, they gave me good advice, it's just i can never learn to do any sort of streams.

I've tried playing this song (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/77370) to practice because thats what people suggested, but i can still never get any improvement.

The main reason i'm making another thread about this is because now my inexperience in streams has literally made me no longer have any chances to improve or get better in the game, why? Because i'm my skill in jumps and speed and regular gameplay is far better than how i am in streams, so whenever i play a song i can usually find it pretty easy and then fail almost instantly at the streams.

The main problem i think i have is that i can never tell if i'm going too slow or too fast in a stream, so i usually just go as fast as possible, but because i can't tell if i'm going too fast or too slow, it's made it impossible for me to know how to improve.

So i would just like to ask if anyone else had this problem? And how they improved? Or should i just keep playing that song to practice and hope i get better :S
Also i use a tablet and keyboard, and use both z and x when doing streams.
Thanks!
iSpR1Te
Turn on the hit-error option and watch your replays to see whether you are hitting to early or to late.

I'd recommend playing this couple times every day for months https://osu.ppy.sh/s/72474. Start at the lowest bpm. Once you can FC with a decent accuracy 90%+ then move up to the next bpm. This will help you build up stamina and consistency the quickest. Streaming takes more practice than any other skill in this game. I'm just guessing your not putting the type of effort that you need to be into streaming. (most people that make posts like this don't)

Also, having your hit sounds louder than the music will help.
jesse1412
You still haven't learnt to stream mentally, progress should be quick if you're practicing at all. When your difficulty is physical, then you'll have a lot of problems.
RaneFire
I had this problem and it's how I nurtured my love for streams.

iSpR1Te wrote:

I'd recommend playing this couple times every day for months https://osu.ppy.sh/s/72474. Start at the lowest bpm. Once you can FC with a decent accuracy 90%+ then move up to the next bpm. This will help you build up stamina and consistency quickest.
Fair warning that improvements in stamina and consistency will not come quickly and may be frustrating at first. After a few months you will notice a significant improvement though. It's still the quickest. Just remember not to hurt yourself, injury can set you back a lot. A burning sensation, however, is acceptable within reason. I recommend playing the stream maps in the "how to improve" thread as well. Despite streams being common in maps these days, streaming accurately is still an advanced skill.

Don't be in a rush, but practice frequently, and remember to enjoy the game... there is no use getting hung up on your flaws, just keep working on them. If your aim is better than your streaming, don't settle... play more aim-demanding maps, and keep working on your streams. Eventually your streaming will catch up, like it did with me, and then your aim will be your weakest link... like me... (well it's not that terrible by my standards, but I know it's my weakest link)
Illus
Well, when I started to get into Insanes some months ago I always failed the song when the stream came in. It's like some mental blockade I had, but I wasn't sure. Today, it's not like I could stream really well or accurate, but I most likely got the basic skills. Btw, I got pretty slow fingers, too.

When I tried to learn streaming I used the stream practice maps like the previous posters suggested and had to start at 140 bpm + HT because I couldn't do more. I tried playing those stream practice maps quite a lot and had a vast improvement over the first few days which slowed down really hard at about 130 bpm. (well, I haven't had a good accuracy but I could do it without failing at least) When I started to train it was like I seemed to improve over night and actually started to know how to somewhat stream, but I didn't really know what was the trigger. And surprisingly, I could do a lot of short streams at higher bpm at this time.

Then those maps really bored me and I stopped playing them because ironically, I learned how to spam my way through too high bpm maps because of this training and I haven't really bothered learning to properly stream afterwards. Of course, I have still improved due to the streams that occur in Insanes, but compared to 3 months ago I could do the 140 bpm one without problems (instead of 170 bpm + HT 3 months ago). So it was really slow improvement.

TL;DR Long stream practice maps seem to be the most effective way to go, probably no one could explain to you why they actually learned to stream and why to practice them is that effective, and those maps are really boring so don't play them too much.
WolfCoder
It might take more than 5k plays, LV 77, and 2 years to get better. You can't want to just get better too fast, just enjoy the game often enough and let it occur naturally.
Myke B
Try a gripmaster. Guitar players use them to increase finger speed and endurance. I was at a point where I couldn't stream more than 180 bpm, and my fingers just felt weak. My friend introduced me to it, and I bought one on ebay for like 10 bucks from some dude. I have been using it for 2-3 days, and I have noticed a huge increase in mostly endurance, but I do notice speed increasing slowly. This is no substitute for practicing, but when I felt like practicing 2-3.3k plays a month wasn't really helping me much, I bought one. I've said this on like every stream thread looking for a secret, and it's the only thing I can tell them, other than the thing they don't want to hear, which is practice. I ain't a salesman, but it's all I got for ya lol.
Topic Starter
Sakisakan
I started using some maps i found and the ones people gave me, and there is improvement, but i'm aware that it's gonna take more than a day. (Thanks for the beatmap + other suggestions btw)

I understand this is a long experience, infact about the last 7 months have been pretty much aiming to get better streams, it's just it's my biggest flaw so far in the game, i just wanted to say this because a few people think i'm not really dedicated in actually improving and just demanding.

Thanks everyone. ^^
jesse1412

Sakisakan wrote:

I started using some maps i found and the ones people gave me, and there is improvement, but i'm aware that it's gonna take more than a day. (Thanks for the beatmap + other suggestions btw)

I understand this is a long experience, infact about the last 7 months have been pretty much aiming to get better streams, it's just it's my biggest flaw so far in the game, i just wanted to say this because a few people think i'm not really dedicated in actually improving and just demanding.

Thanks everyone. ^^
Sorry but you should be getting like at least half of your current total play count per month if you want to see improvement, no offense.]

You pretty much don't even play.
shortpotato
if you are not seeing results, grind more
also use no-fail and dont exit even when you feel your fingers are dead
Coffee Hero
I used to have immense problems with streams, it took me 3 months of consistent playing for me to even notice myself improve. One thing that helped me a lot was to focus on slow streams (ex 120-160bpm) as i was used to just spamming my keys from the usual insanes that i'd generally be playing.

Stream practice maps: http://bombch.us/UEy
Icyteru
When I bought a mechanical keyboard, my streaming ability increased by far.
brendanuhs

jesus1412 wrote:

Sakisakan wrote:

Thanks everyone. ^^
Sorry but you should be getting like at least half of your current total play count per month if you want to see improvement, no offense.]

You pretty much don't even play.
well he could be playing offline. maybe.
Soarezi
Sigh... 5k playcount and wondering why u suck. Isnt it obvious
iWhorse

Sakisakan wrote:

because now my inexperience in streams has literally made me no longer have any chances to improve or get better in the game

You just answered your own question, didn't you?
get more experience in streams
play more stream maps

Myke B wrote:

Try a gripmaster.
complete bullshit
also coming from a guitar player
Wishy

Soarezi wrote:

5k over two years. That's like playing 15 minutes a day or so lol.
zxcv
dw I can't stream even if my rank depended on it : )
A1R
What i usually do is just take the Death Stream Compilation map 1 from variousartists and see how far i can get and just do the map every day, also even if i am totally tired i just keep going just that makes it that your fingers strength improves.
It really helped me improve i am roughly around 190-200BPM now from 150-160 1 month ago.
buny
variousartists is one of my favourite bands
raww_old

Wishy wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

5k over two years. That's like playing 15 minutes a day or so lol.
perhaps he was banned, then unbanned and had his stats reset like me