forum

How long did it take you to get "good" at osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jr1254
By good I mean you could hit S or SS and move on to adding mods such as double time and hidden . I feel as if im not improving lately hopeing its just a time and practice thing.

I do have A tablet and a mech keyboard with cherry MX already guys but Cookiezi just left them and said "the rest is for you to learn on your own" =/
Pengua
QQ can't S for my life. WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME SO?
uzzi
It probably is a time/practice thing. Also good in what standard, because I'm probably terrible in all of them!
Omgforz
By the time I stopped caring for non-stop improvement and just started enjoying songs for what they are.
shortpotato
10k plays
Talinoth
Depends on what the beatmap difficulty is.

As a general rule, Hidden is actually a good source of free points on most high approach rate maps because it reduces the visual clutter, and on high approach rates you don't have to memorise the positions of multiple objects for a long time - so depending on the situation, Hidden can make a map easier instead of harder. It depends though.

DoubleTime generally makes everything harder of course - unless the map was a painfully slow, OD 9. AR -1 map or something cruel like that. I can DoubleTime most normals and get ok grades on them, and a lot of the posters here can probably DT Hards.

Anyway, the general consensus I've seen so far is that you're "good" if you can pass Scarlet Rose. As Scarlet Rose is one of the hardest maps in the game (by my reckoning, at least) that means only a tiny fraction of the playerbase is or ever will be "good" at this game lol.

I've been playing for a bit over 4 months and a week ago I could pass maybe 40% of Hards with halfway decent scores, and get S on one or two of the really easy ones. However, I'm on a new laptop now and my skill level has dropped to where it was 2 weeks ago - not being able to pass any but 1 or 2 "Hard" (actually Normal+) maps - I suspect it's something to do with this laptop's mouse support... But that wouldn't explain why I can't sightread AR 9-10 anymore, and why all my beatmaps in general seem so much "faster" than before. Weird.

But anyway enough about me. I've long since learned that improvement in Osu takes a while, but there is a kind of satisfying feeling because you can SEE your improvement - every beatmap you play, where you get 1% or 2% or more accuracy each time you play, you're getting better.

So don't sweat the small stuff. Don't measure yourself against others unless there's real money involved! Osu is a multiplayer game, but it's also a personal journey! Be awesome in your own way!

Still though, there is a charm in striving for the position of #1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYeHPFR3f0

~Talinoth

EDIT: WTF you're much better than I am. I should have looked at your profile before I made this post, lol.
Almost

Talinoth wrote:

Anyway, the general consensus I've seen so far is that you're "good" if you can pass Scarlet Rose. As Scarlet Rose is one of the hardest maps in the game (by my reckoning, at least) that means only a tiny fraction of the playerbase is or ever will be "good" at this game lol.
I can't pass Scarlet Rose. I'm so bad at the game. :(
smoogipoo
I only started to really get into osu! around September 2012, but I only recently realized the difference between me then and the me 1 or 2 months later. I think being 'good' at the game isn't necessarily that you can play mods, and it's a totally subjective opinion (whether you're good or not).

I started off not being able to S insanes unless I was lucky to do so. A month later it clicked somewhere in my head how to play the game well and that was the point at which I started down the path of HR and DT, improving further but hitting another brick wall which I was unable to pass (I say 'was' because most of the skill I put into headbutting that wall is now gone, not because I broke past the wall).
It was after that first 'click' that I realized I'm above average - I could S insanes easily, read AR10.33 and HR insanes fairly easily (though inconsistently in the first 4-5 months).

So to not get off topic - it didn't take me a long time to get good at osu!, however the time that happens is different for everybody. You'll know when something clicks and you can S insanes easily.
WolfCoder
There's no clicks, I just slowly and slowly get better. 5 years so far and counting. Not there yet.
Bauxe
S / SS with mods on what difficulty songs?

However if its by preference, I feel that I am still terrible at this game.
Sorun

Bauxe wrote:

Did you notice a improvement switching to the higher res? Currently 1024 myself and I've been doing fairly well except for when it comes to hr. Its like ants on my screen.
buny
751 playcount

751 plays - Lily - Scarlet Rose [0108 style]
Coffee Hero

WolfCoder wrote:

There's no clicks, I just slowly and slowly get better. 5 years so far and counting. Not there yet.
you don't play enough.
Soarezi

Almost wrote:

Talinoth wrote:

But you're #100
idkhowtoclick

Talinoth wrote:

But I have passed scarlet rose and am utter crap at the game.
YukinoDesuDesu
Buy tablet
*SS's big black + hr/dt/hd
CXu
5 years and counting.
I still can't stream or AR10 for shit.
Bauxe

Sorun wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

Did you notice a improvement switching to the higher res? Currently 1024 myself and I've been doing fairly well except for when it comes to hr. Its like ants on my screen.
I did personally, it gave me more movement on my tablet (could have just made my area larger) but also made circles bigger on the screen. Probably doesn't change much really, but I enjoy it more.
Icyteru
if bauxe is terrible, then we are all trench tier
AmaiHachimitsu
Regular playing:

1 year - decent player

1,5-2 years - OWC- level player (early stages)

3 years - pro
Soarezi

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Regular playing:

1 year - decent player

1,5-2 years - OWC- level player (early stages)

3 years - pro
lies u suk m888
winber1
everyone is trash except cookiezi.

who's cookiezi wat
YukinoDesuDesu
cookiezi went to the next plain of existence
[ Stellar ]
about 2k play counts to get "decent"
pooptartsonas
It took me about 6 months and about 10k playcount to be "good" at the game (i.e. I passed scarlet rose)

But seriously, you'll improve if you just keep playing. It's really difficult to measure how "long" it took because different people play different amounts so how long you've been playing is an inaccurate measure. Different people have a greater tendency to retry so playcount is inaccurate (not to mention a lot of people play offline I think?) Don't worry about how long it takes. If you try hard enough to be good, you can get there.
Almost

Soarezi wrote:

Almost wrote:

But you're #100
More like #100000...
Naikaze

Omgforz wrote:

By the time I stopped caring for non-stop improvement and just started enjoying songs for what they are.
Mikelicious
1 year and counting
Revion

Omgforz wrote:

Though I am still newbie here, but I got fast improvement on Catch The Beat (nevertheless I don't care~)
Stregan
2 weeks to S normal 6 months to S an AR8 insane map and 5 months to S an AR9 insane map and yeah i skipped hard lol.
SammySama
In my experience and the experience of a few others, it seems to be around 5k plays when you start to kick off and get top 500 scores depending on the insane map.
Soulg
you never get good at osu, you just get a little better each time.
-Chronopolis-

Soulg wrote:

you never get good at osu, you just get a little better each time.
This!
Zeraph

Bauxe wrote:

bauxe a shit.
Wishy
You should be able to DT average insanes after two months of 3~4k plays a month.
ballplay
i cant pass scarlet rose so im not good yet. but then again i only tried scarlet rose a couple times
show more