forum

Red or Brown switches?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ballplay
These 2 are my only options. Which is better and why? mainly wondering if the tactile bump on the browns is good for osu
iSpR1Te
Reds because they are linear and the lightest. Most people will agree that linear switches are best for osu!, but at the end of the day it's preference.
Soarezi
get reds
Fzero100

Soarezi wrote:

get reds
TakuMii
It's personal preference. You'll get a lot of people who will say Reds though. I personally love my Browns.
IppE
Neither will automatically make you better.
WindyExplorer
red feel smooth and even thou it isnt the loud blue switch feedback it has a feedback stills very nice
iderekmc

IppE wrote:

reds will, just because cookiezi used them
Soarezi
who the fuck is giving you the rights to take our avatars and use them without even asking for permission
TakuMii

iderekmc wrote:

IppE wrote:

reds will, just because cookiezi used them
Cookiezi used blues before, and he only switched because reds are quieter. No other reason.
GoldenWolf
Who?
Oinari-sama
What happened to jesse and his "end all questions" thread orz
tokaku
I tried reds before. They felt nice and smooth.
Naikaze
Reds
pielak213
­
Mikelicious
reds
PLAYER WITH RSI
blues :?
Pengua
I would suggest browns because I have them. Then again, I'm a mouse only player.
WolfCoder
I plan on replacing my hammer and membrane keyboard (there's no domes, it still has actual springs and hammers that hit the membrane) because it's already had several keypairs smashed up (I keep changing what Z and X are as I wear them out) in the short burst of time I suddenly decided to play Osu! again (I haven't played in a long time and just got back a couple weeks ago and haven't ever played the game this hard in my life). I'm starting to land hits that don't register and it's getting annoying.

I don't exactly have the luxury of just gotta switch em' all and the only person I know who has one has an old loud IBM model, so I'm still torn between red or black. I like inertia and friction, but I'm wondering red keys might feel smoother.
kneepel
Red switches are linear switches, they don't give you a "bump" to make you aware that you've activated the key. They have an actuation force of 45 grams. Brown switches are tactile switches, you feel a bump every time the switch activates. Honestly it's all purely personal preference. Try a few keyboards out if you can before you buy, see what feels comfortable to you.
pooptartsonas

YayMii wrote:

Cookiezi used blues before, and he only switched because reds are quieter. No other reason.
If I remember correctly, he also improved his freedom dive accuracy from like 96 to 99 on his first day using reds. There is some merit to the people saying reds are good. Yes, it's preference, but reds are probably the safest bet. And to everyone saying "try them out", it's honestly pretty hard to tell what will be best with you until you fully get used to it. It is nice to understand what they're like, but it's hard to make a decision just based on trying them each once.
sorgenehtyals
reds are the lightest keys so obviously they are the best. The only thing that can negate the benefit of reds is a mental block but thats easy to get rid of.

why are some people saying its all preference? that isn't really helpful for the op.
Nyari
hello, 250 bpm reds streamer here, ive used reds for about a year now and now theyre dying on me, so i was forced to try another keyboard, i tried browns and i must say it really feels like bootcamp for my fingers. i might be getting slower for right now but i feel like i will be better later. i would say get reds, and if you think theyre great, good! keep em! if you dont id say try blues or blacks in a store before buying browns as browns can be hell to play with sometimes.
ziin
topre

rubber domes are so smooth
WolfCoder

StormR1d3r wrote:

...why are some people saying its all preference?
Because it is?
sorgenehtyals

WolfCoder wrote:

Because it is?

Either provide information or don't say anything. Saying 'it's preference' helps nobody.
Topic Starter
ballplay
the closest store to me (best buy) only has blue switches... (razer blackwidow) so unless i wanna go on the freeway i cant try any other switch
TakuMii

StormR1d3r wrote:

WolfCoder wrote:

Because it is?
Either provide information or don't say anything. Saying 'it's preference' helps nobody.
You're guaranteed to get completely different and/or biased answers in a thread like this. There are top players that use all 4 of the common types of switches (not just in osu!, but in other PC-based rhythm games too), and you'll find different arguments for each. There really isn't any "best switch", it's just a matter of finding the switch that has a feel that suits you and getting used to it.
also, I noticed you trying to spectate me earlier... I was screwing around with a 1px x 1px cursor. I don't suck that much :(
JAKACHAN
Blues
sorgenehtyals

YayMii wrote:

You're guaranteed to get completely different and/or biased answers in a thread like this. There are top players that use all 4 of the common types of switches (not just in osu!, but in other PC-based rhythm games too), and you'll find different arguments for each. There really isn't any "best switch", it's just a matter of finding the switch that has a feel that suits you and getting used to it.
It does not matter if there are some top players who use different switches than reds and still are able to do nicely since you can become good with any of those switches given enough practice. Why does that mean one type of switches can't be 'better' than the rest for osu ? Next part: Suppose you like to play on some fucked up rubber dome keyboard that requires you to have viking hands to be able to even press a button. Does that mean said keyboard is "best" for you? No, I don't think so. It just means you have a shitty taste. So why would there be no difference with the different kinds of switches ? Liking them matters, yes, but you can get used to red switches just as easily at the cost of some time if you initially find them uncomfortable or whatever so that is not a problem.
Try again.

YayMii wrote:

also, I noticed you trying to spectate me earlier... I was screwing around with a 1px x 1px cursor. I don't suck that much.
shhhh, i was just spectating random people below 5000rank, don't mind me
jackisgone
i play with browns, i think theyre good, but if i could go back in time i would prolly buy reds
WolfCoder

StormR1d3r wrote:

Next part: Suppose you like to play on some fucked up rubber dome keyboard that requires you to have viking hands to be able to even press a button. Does that mean said keyboard is "best" for you? No, I don't think so...
I'm pretty sure I didn't have to have Hands of the Viking to play my crappy membrane and hammer keyboard.

I'm also sure the pros could kick ass on anything and chew bubble gum, it really is entirely preference based. The performance ends with you.
nrl
Don't dismiss blacks.
sorgenehtyals

WolfCoder wrote:

StormR1d3r wrote:

Next part: Suppose you like to play on some fucked up rubber dome keyboard that requires you to have viking hands to be able to even press a button. Does that mean said keyboard is "best" for you? No, I don't think so...
I'm pretty sure I didn't have to have Hands of the Viking to play my crappy membrane and hammer keyboard.

I'm also sure the pros could kick ass on anything and chew bubble gum, it really is entirely preference based. The performance ends with you.
And I'm pretty sure all those pro players with fancy mechs will instantly suck ass on garbage under the label "rubberdome keyboard".
WWW did nice on freedom dive cause of the instant benefit reds gave him and so did cookiezi. Why is it all preference again ?
Mech keyboards allow you to express your skill better than rubber dome keyboards and red switches surely have proven themselfs by now to be the best at that.
WolfCoder
I know one person around here who swears the black switches let him do the same thing.
buny

StormR1d3r wrote:

And I'm pretty sure all those pro players with fancy mechs will instantly suck ass on garbage under the label "rubberdome keyboard".
WWW did nice on freedom dive cause of the instant benefit reds gave him and so did cookiezi. Why is it all preference again ?
Mech keyboards allow you to express your skill better than rubber dome keyboards and red switches surely have proven themselfs by now to be the best at that.
have you tried asking WWW and cookiezi if they got that much better from getting a mech keyboard?
you're obviously exaggerating the difference between it and all you're making yourself look out to be is some mech keyboard lover
TakuMii
The whole rubber dome thing doesn't apply here, since mechanical keyboards are objectively better, stamina-wise and consistency-wise.

As for the different switch types, they're all pretty much equal consistency-wise (aside from Blues, which are slightly less consistent since they use 2-part plungers rather than the single-part plungers that other switches use). In the end, it's up to the user to decide if they want a switch that provides them more stamina (Reds), tactile feedback (Browns/Blues) or higher elastic potential energy (Blacks). They each have their own benefits, and there's no point discrediting the others because so-and-so got a good score on x map.
MiDNiGhT2903

StormR1d3r wrote:

WWW uses blues.
IIRC Cookiezi owned freedom dive with blues.
Anyway, rubberdome is not that bad, at least its better than scissor switch.
I sucked ass when I switched to mechs, but because I was motivated that time I played more and got better.
That's all, no mechs are godly jesus kind of bullshit.
show more